Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Never knew about the playtime condition or story skippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It is done. I'm free.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Electric Phantasm posted:

Never knew about the playtime condition or story skippers.
While there probably are people who zoomed through the game skipping cutscenes the whole way who are sprouts in the 6.1 dungeon, I think the more likely possibility is it's someone that bought a skip for an alt. My main character is on Excalibur but I have IRL friends that started playing on Aether after I finished ShB on Excal, so I bought a story skip + Summoner level boost on their Aether server and skipped all the cutscenes to finish ShB quickly on that character. I was a sprout doing Eden 1-4 and Copied Factory there.

edit: This is also how you'll see sprouts with Legend titles or Savage weapons/mounts

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

HackensackBackpack posted:

It is done. I'm free.

I got this yesterday and was similarly YES FINALLY-level pumped

Then immediately queued for some more CC. Dark Knight is pretty insane since the buff

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
59/200
:suicide:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

I got this yesterday and was similarly YES FINALLY-level pumped

Then immediately queued for some more CC. Dark Knight is pretty insane since the buff

I hit silver last night and now I'm tempted to go for gold but it was a hell of a climb and I'm not sure I can take it. CC is still fun though, even if I'm not very good at it.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
It's still very dependent on teammates. I healed AND dpsd more than both a sch and drg in the same match. As a bard. In gold rank.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

It's still very dependent on teammates. I healed AND dpsd more than both a sch and drg in the same match. As a bard. In gold rank.

I do feel like blaming it all on teammates is a bit of a cop-out for my own poor performance in a bad match, but there are times where it totally is the other players. I've lost more my fair share of games in OT because they run away from the crystal for some reason (of course, I've also won games for the same reason!)

But I can always get better. I'm still not great at targeting in the heat of the moment and I've wasted a lot of Verflares on people with guard up. I also get killed a lot while firing off my LB, so I could probably find better times to use it.

I'm just happy to have gotten through what I wanted to get--that is, out of bronze and the Gloria. I'm probably going to work on other things for a little while.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 6, 2022

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i just hit crystal rank! i'm glad maining dragoon since 2.0's launch is still yet to steer me wrong

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's important to remember that if you're a good player, or at least better than your peers, the enemy team has a higher chance of having bad players on them.

If you can have 4 morons on your team that run away from the crystal or solo dive into suicide, the enemy team can have 5.

If your team sucks, the enemy team can suck worse.

However, this is all predicated on you being a better player than the rest of your team.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I have bad news

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

I have bad news

KoB
May 1, 2009
when will I be able to do something with all this moonward gear?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Probably 6.2.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's important to remember that if you're a good player, or at least better than your peers, the enemy team has a higher chance of having bad players on them.

If you can have 4 morons on your team that run away from the crystal or solo dive into suicide, the enemy team can have 5.

However, this is all predicated on you being a better player than the rest of your team.

This is all true, but it's also worth noting the fact that each individual player has less ability to affect the game as a whole than they do in most MOBAs. Without the ability to outfarm and outscale your opponents you're far more reliant on your team than you would be in a game like LoL, and it's accordingly easier to just get straight hosed by the RNG. Draw a couple of the wrong teammates and nothing can save you.

I know that getting out of Bronze felt almost more luck based than anything else because of the sheer amount of games that were decided not by "which team had more good players" but by "which team drew that one guy who charges blindly into a 1v5 every time he respawns".

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm mad that retainers can already bring back moonward gear from quick ventures. I've already got that or better for every role so it's a completely worthless result!

At least random fish are worth a couple gil.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

My favorite is when retainer bring back a summoning bell.

They clearly just hosed off to do nothing for an hour then come back and grab the bell you just rang and shove into your hands.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My lalafell paladin retainer brought back a huge loving battleaxe from his first ever Quick Exploration, so I decided little dude could handle his own business and it wasn't my place to ask questions.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Antivehicular posted:

My lalafell paladin retainer brought back a huge loving battleaxe from his first ever Quick Exploration, so I decided little dude could handle his own business and it wasn't my place to ask questions.

My Lalafell black mage keeps bringing entire god drat roofs, it's great.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

It only takes a single player being bad to get stupidly killed and turn it into a 5v4.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i hit diamond yesterday after spending two weeks in platinum. i am a pvp dumdum but after ping-ponging up and down plat, i am now less of a pvp dumdum.

most critical lesson i learned: stop playing when you're tilted you absolute idiot rear end in a top hat

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

You can carry pretty hard as WHM, WAR, or RDM at low ranks because of the high AoE damage and AoE CC. Just focus on hitting as many people as possible with Purgation/Primal Rend+Orogeny/White Shift Resolution+Frazzle on cooldown. Other than that, if you're a good player you'll rank up because even if you've got a 49% winrate you'll hit streaks and get bonus stars eventually.

Gnossiennes posted:

most critical lesson i learned: stop playing when you're tilted you absolute idiot rear end in a top hat

also this. just go do something else if (when) you get mad

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kazy posted:

It only takes a single player being bad to get stupidly killed and turn it into a 5v4.

Yes. And my point is the enemy team should have potentially more players willing to do that than yours.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Gnossiennes posted:

Yeah, this advice was super key. Regular breaks really help. It can also provide time to shuffle some players around or get you out of a map that sucks.

All maps have their problems, but they're each unique. Bomb map has a bunch of LoS stuff that can screw with ranged jobs and also the bombs. Wind map is big and open but the wind mechanic can turn a match around, and stadium map makes people want to split up and try to "flank" and then you either get mobbed at the crystal or you end up fighting away from it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The safest response is to always assume you are the worst player of the 10 and just analyze what you can personally do better. Over all the games you play, you might get 9 corpses who can barely operate their computer, or you could get 9 Actual Fakers who are god's gift to CC. None of this matters because you can't control who is on your team.

Did you dive the enemy team when you were 3v5 and overcommit because you got tunnel vision? You probably did. Fix that.
Did you spam tab in a panic looking for enemies and accidently land on one using guard and blow a cooldown? You probably did. Fix that.
Did you pick someone to focus who still had all their MP and was baiting? Probably, etc...

Yeah, it sucks that the WAR was a windowlicking mouthbreather who only knew two moves--charge and die--but there's less and nothing you can do about that. The most you can do is make clever countdown macros to try and herd the four cats on your team toward the same person.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yes. And my point is the enemy team should have potentially more players willing to do that than yours.

Yup. Again, if you're truly better than the rank you're currently at, the small win% boost of you not being the 4v5 millstone will be enough to push you to a higher MMR. Being able to effectively carry will help to push you higher faster, but just being competent and consistent from game-to-game will get you to the bracket where your true skill (at that current time, that is) is all the same.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Going back to PvE content with the job I'm PvPing with and then being confused when the button I assigned Recuperate to does something totally different when I get hurt.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Going back to PvE content with the job I'm PvPing with and then being confused when the button I assigned Recuperate to does something totally different when I get hurt.

I've mentally siloed "PVP Class" and "PVE Class" because this is the only MMO I've played that has (correctly) made that design decision. I basically treat them as separate games in my head.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

PvE Sprint wears off and I get real sad

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I've mentally siloed "PVP Class" and "PVE Class" because this is the only MMO I've played that has (correctly) made that design decision. I basically treat them as separate games in my head.

I'm probably going to pick a couple neglected classes with PvP skillsets I really like and get them leveled that way.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I put it on the same button as Second Wind :v:

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Vermain posted:

Yup. Again, if you're truly better than the rank you're currently at, the small win% boost of you not being the 4v5 millstone will be enough to push you to a higher MMR*. Being able to effectively carry will help to push you higher faster, but just being competent and consistent from game-to-game will get you to the bracket where your true skill (at that current time, that is) is all the same.

*on an infinite timeline

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

PvE Sprint wears off and I get real sad

On the other hand, it doesn't wear off in PvE after doing one (1) weaponskill and that also throws me off for a second.

Warmachine posted:

I've spent the last 200+ games playing Red Mage, which I also love as a PvE class, but I went to Aglaia with my FC last night and kept corps-a-corpsing into stuff after getting hit by raidwides. :doh: Having a dedicated PvP class sounds smart. Maybe I'll learn a new job for a bit and silo them. Maybe I'll learn to CC as Dragoon or Ninja. I haven't played them in PvE content at all this expac and they get some fun glams.

Kazy posted:

I put it on the same button as Second Wind :v:

:hmmyes:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kazy posted:

Seeing a lot of this sentiment in this thread about trying to climb ranks and failing because sometimes your teammates aren't as good as you believe you should be getting and you people need to learn some MOBA mantras to save you from such stress

Just say the magic words and all stress will leave you "I won my lane. Mid Difference. GG" then go next.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 7, 2022

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

On the other hand, it doesn't wear off in PvE after doing one (1) weaponskill and that also throws me off for a second.
:hmmyes:

PvP sprint ends every time you do a white/black shift which is REALLY annoying sometimes

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Seeing a lot of this sentiment in this thread about trying to climb ranks and failing because sometimes your teammates aren't as good as you believe you should be getting and you people need to learn some MOBA mantras to save you from such stress

Just say the magic words and all stress will leave you "I won my lane. Mid Difference. GG" then go next.

I must not tilt. Tilt is the mind-killer. Tilt is the little death that brings total obliteration.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The one piece of advice that has helped is that I’m a little more aggressive right off the bat. I’ll wait until one of my teammates dives in and then I’ll hit the fray myself looking for who is the one being targeted and make sure that I also don’t overextend.

A HUGE thing that also helps is knowing when to smash your attack buttons. Right at the beginning of a match if I see someone getting pummelled, I know they’re probably going to throw up a guard. So once I see it happen, I’ll hold back a bit and when i see the guard drop then I smash all my buttons. How this works for me as Summoner is I’ll usually do my dash AoE, then I’ll see that they threw their guard up. I’ll run back a bit, and when the guard drops I hit them with my bind and then use the high damage attack that combos from my stun, and then blast them with my 2 charge attack. I almost always get a kill this way unless the target has full MP, but if someone else is on them doing same thing they might get kill as well. I just had a match where we stomped the other team, but we only had 3 kills and all of them were mine.

These small things I think has greatly improved my play. I still die from time to time but knowing when to guard and when to do a quick elixir has meant I’m usually high on damage on low on deaths. I’m still only in Diamond, but I think with a little luck I could make it to Crystal. It’s still heavily teammate dependant because having someone who gets blown up 8 times in a match means your group can still lose because you’re constantly on your heels.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

quote:

I’ll see that they threw their guard up. I’ll run back a bit, and when the guard drops I hit them with my bind and then use the high damage attack that combos from my stun

Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

I meant from my AoE.