Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
One time I was changing lights on life jackets deep in the bowels of a huge cruise ship when I came upon an airliner life jacket.

Not a SOLAS inflatable life jacket, I know what those look like. An airliner life jacket. The cheap yellow poo poo with two inflation tubes and a tug rope.

It was 15 years ago and I still think about the chain of events that must have occurred for that thing to end up in the bottom of a bin of SOLAS life jackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Someone left two airliner life jackets at a house party I threw. One's still in the package, the other I opened up to verify that it was indeed a life jacket.

They say "unauthorized removal from aircraft is a federal offense," but they have US Airways branding so hopefully no one's coming after them?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

WT Wally posted:

Someone left two airliner life jackets at a house party I threw. One's still in the package, the other I opened up to verify that it was indeed a life jacket.

They say "unauthorized removal from aircraft is a federal offense," but they have US Airways branding so hopefully no one's coming after them?

better turn yourself in, criminal scum

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

People will steal anything not bolted down and that extends to life jackets. About once a month Id say I have to call down to maintenance to have them bring up a new life jacket because someone absconded with one. If youre at an outstation with no spares you have to block off the seat, even if all you're doing is flying over Kansas.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I still think about the time a flight I was on was delayed like 30 minutes because someone stole a safety card and I guess that’s how long it takes to find a card and drive from delta’s maintenance hangers to the terminal at MSP.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

hobbesmaster posted:

I still think about the time a flight I was on was delayed like 30 minutes because someone stole a safety card and I guess that’s how long it takes to find a card and drive from delta’s maintenance hangers to the terminal at MSP.

I found a typo in a 737 safety card at Southwest. I wanted to keep it for novelty's sake. So I put it in my bag and let the FA know about the typo as I deplaned. She said "oh, good. there's a thing we gotta do to get all of those off all our planes. Thought we'd gotten them all. I'll let maintenance know. What seat?"
I told her I kept the card and she said "That makes it EASIER, then. I'll just say one is missing and it's, like, 1% of the paperwork."

It's probably worth some money now, but pretty much anything from airplanes pre-2000 is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's worthless dude, you don't have the chain of custody paperwork.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

You mean the life jackets aren’t free to take like the inflight magazines? :aaaaa:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/filmuphates/status/1521996112244092928?s=21&t=QUYmhN5ICG8G-E2ML2ccoQ

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

lol that they overdub helicopter sounds because the whine of a small multirotor is annoying.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOoBX-T4qZA

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think he's more of a taxiway incursion expert.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There have been crews that have landed at whole-rear end wrong airports who've gotten less poo poo than Harrison Ford, not to mention a certain senator who thinks he's too good to check NOTAMs. I really think he gets targeted unfairly a lot of the time. Yeah, he's made a couple pretty big mistakes. So do a lot of people, but they don't get bothered with it for the rest of their lives because no one knows who Jim Bob McFuck is, and everyone knows who Harrison Ford is.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

PT6A posted:

There have been crews that have landed at whole-rear end wrong airports who've gotten less poo poo than Harrison Ford, not to mention a certain senator who thinks he's too good to check NOTAMs. I really think he gets targeted unfairly a lot of the time. Yeah, he's made a couple pretty big mistakes. So do a lot of people, but they don't get bothered with it for the rest of their lives because no one knows who Jim Bob McFuck is, and everyone knows who Harrison Ford is.

Counterpoint: Indiana Jones 4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought he's only made two actual (notable) mistakes: the time he landed on a taxiway and the time he crossed a runway without a clearance. Obviously the ideal is zero mistakes, but two incidents across, what, 35 years of private flying I don't think makes him some kind of dangerous maniac.

He has had a couple of crashes, but none of them were found to be his fault, and the time he put his vintage plane down on a golf course in LA after an engine failure was reportedly a really great piece of flying that unquestionably saved lives.

Both the taxiway landing and the runway incursion were in the last 5 years, though. Sadly I think the dude is just getting old.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
With all his money, someone needs to let him know how he could build some seriously impressive sim setups, even though I know nothing beats *actual* flying.

I don't think he should be flying solo anymore, though. >.>

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah there's no need for him to build a sim setup. He's got the money to hire a safety pilot anytime he wants to go flying, or even keep one on call. He just needs to swallow his pride enough to do it. "Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth" and all that.

Or like...he might not even have to pay anyone. There's a shitload of young CFIs who would jump at the opportunity to fly with Han Solo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

There's a shitload of young CFIs who would jump at the opportunity to fly with Han Solo.

But the instant one said anything about Star Wars he’d go Air Force one on them.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I have a great trick for dealing with airline seats and it's being short enough that all of them are reasonably comfortable

Posting this from economy on a BA 787

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Well.

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/man-opens-emergency-exit-of-moving-plane-walks-onto-wing-at-ohare-airport/

quote:

A man was taken into custody after opening a plane’s emergency exit and walking onto the wing of a moving aircraft at O’Hare International Airport.

The incident happened around 4:30 a.m. Thursday while an United Airlines plane was approaching the airport’s gate.

Police told WGN a man onboard the plane pulled the emergency exit door and walked out onto the wing of the plane, then slid down onto the airfield.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BIG HEADLINE posted:

With all his money, someone needs to let him know how he could build some seriously impressive sim setups, even though I know nothing beats *actual* flying.

I don't think he should be flying solo anymore, though. >.>

I don't think that's necessarily true. If runway incursions were rare, there wouldn't be such a concerted effort to stop them whenever possible. It's a thing that happens, and if I recall from the discussion of Ford's incident in particular, the controller used improper phraseology "continue to hold short." "Continue" should not be used in that context, because if the transmission gets misheard or stepped on, the pilot will understand the exact opposite of the thing they were supposed to understand.

As for landing on a taxiway... that's harder to defend, but: poo poo happens. I've had students line up to land on a taxiway, I've seen the plane in front of me narrowly avoid landing on a taxiway because the controller noticed what was happening and said "XXX go around NOW!" By the standards of private pilots, I'm really, really not sure that Ford is even below average in terms of proficiency. Mistakes will always happen, they will even happen to professional crews that land at the entirely wrong airport. Aviation safety has come as far as it has because we accept that demanding perfection out of pilots cannot possibly work to eliminate all mistakes. If the FAA is satisfied that he does not require enforcement and/or re-training, I think the rest of the world should be satisfied with that too.

If the standard to hold a license of any kind was "has not made a really stupid mistake" there would be precisely zero licensed pilots in the entire world.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/KHOU/status/1522662453649330178?s=20&t=BaUVxiwPTIYgWiarxskDfQ

:stare:
Can't really cut it any closer than that, huh?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wow, looks like they took off, immediately had problems and then crashed.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I'm "You Pick It We Stick It"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

U-Pull & Pay

(the throttles & the insurance deductible)

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

*looking around cavenders* you're telling me a boot built this city?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wolrah posted:

That is a valid point, when a light flight gets you an entire row segment to yourself the more seats the better.

Most comfortable flight I ever flew was overnight transatlantic on a brand new 787 with four out of five middle row seats to myself.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Spaced God posted:

*looking around cavenders* you're telling me a boot built this city?

Those of us who grew up in the Houston area deeply appreciate this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I'm Fast Park & Relax

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Did anything happen to the crew on that Air Canada flight that nearly landed on a taxiway (full of other airliners) in San Francisco?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I could have put this together, but I didn't:

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Hell of a fencing response.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LostCosmonaut posted:

Did anything happen to the crew on that Air Canada flight that nearly landed on a taxiway (full of other airliners) in San Francisco?

I hope not…

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/accidentreports/reports/air1801.pdf#page81

quote:

2.3.3 Role of Flight Crew Fatigue
The flight crew’s work schedule for the incident flight complied with the applicable Canadian flight time limitations and rest requirements (as discussed later in this section). Also, as previously stated, there was no evidence of sleep disorders or medical conditions that would have affected the quality of the captain’s and the first officer’s sleep in the days before the incident.
During the 3 days before the incident, the captain had sleep opportunities of between 4.75 and 8 hours. The captain reported that he needed 6 to 7 hours of sleep to feel rested; thus, he did not likely have a chronic sleep debt, but might have had an acute sleep debt, at the time of the incident. Information about the first officer’s sleep opportunities was only available for the 2 days before the incident. During that time, the first officer had sleep opportunities of between 7 and 7.5 hours (including naps). Because the first officer reported that he needed 8 hours of sleep to feel rested, it is possible that he was experiencing a slight acute or chronic sleep debt at the time of the incident. However, other fatigue factors would have more strongly affected both crewmembers during the incident flight.
The incident occurred about 2356, which was 0256 EDT according to the flight crew’s normal body clock time. The captain reported that he typically went to sleep after 0000 EDT, and the first officer reported that he typically began to feel tired about 2300 EDT. Thus, part of the incident flight occurred during a time when the flight crew would normally have been asleep. Also, 0256 EDT approximates the start of the human circadian low period described in Air Canada’s fatigue information (0300 to 0500 body clock time). Even when a person is well rested, operating during this time of day increases the possibility of performance decrements (Caldwell 1997). Because the crewmembers were awake at a time that was opposite of their normal body clocks, they were more vulnerable to the effects of fatigue, which they reported experiencing after navigating through thunderstorms (about 0045 EDT on July 8) and between 0230 and 0300 EDT (on July 8).
In addition, at the time of the incident, the captain had been awake for more than 19 hours, and the first officer had been awake for more than 12 hours. The first officer took advantage of an opportunity to nap for 1.5 hours before reporting for duty, but the flight crewmembers would likely not have been able to take advantage of controlled rest during the flight because they were dealing with thunderstorms during the first half of the flight and preparing for the approach during the second half of the flight.108 The NTSB’s January 1994 study of flight crew-related major aircraft accidents indicated that fatigue related to lengthy periods of wakefulness could contribute to errors. Specifically, the study found that flight crewmembers who had been awake for more than 11 hours made significantly more procedural and tactical decision errors than those who had been awake for less time (NTSB 1994).

The NTSB compared the Canadian flight time and rest requirements with those required by 14 CFR Part 117, “Flight and Duty Limitations and Rest Requirements: Flightcrew Members.” This comparison showed that the incident first officer’s flight and duty time and rest requirements would have complied with the provisions of Part 117.110 However, the flight and duty time and rest requirements for the captain, as a company reserve pilot, would not have complied with Part 117 regardless of whether he would have been considered to have been on long- or short-call reserve.111 (Although Part 117 addressed long- and short-call reserve, Canadian regulations did not make this distinction.) In addition, once assigned a flight, Canadian reserve pilots do not have any limitations on flight and duty time beyond those for line pilots

Get it together Transport Canada!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to have a JFK-DUB-BER flight in a week or so. They seem to be forcing all bags that don't fit under the seat to be checked in, but some things changed and I'm not going to get on the last flight. Since there's a long, like 10 hour, layover in Dublin anyway, it wouldn't be suspicious to ask them to send the bag to DUB only, right?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm going to have a JFK-DUB-BER flight in a week or so. They seem to be forcing all bags that don't fit under the seat to be checked in, but some things changed and I'm not going to get on the last flight. Since there's a long, like 10 hour, layover in Dublin anyway, it wouldn't be suspicious to ask them to send the bag to DUB only, right?

It's rare to find an agent that will short check a bag, but you can certainly ask.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beef Of Ages posted:

It's rare to find an agent that will short check a bag, but you can certainly ask.

But in this case they’ll have to get the bag back to clear EU customs? They should be able to just go ground side with their bag after customs instead of the recheck.

idk if there’s something specific about Dublin though, I was there once 10 years ago.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

hobbesmaster posted:

But in this case they’ll have to get the bag back to clear EU customs? They should be able to just go ground side with their bag after customs instead of the recheck.

idk if there’s something specific about Dublin though, I was there once 10 years ago.

I think they'd be a transit passenger at DUB at the bag would get checked through without reclaim. Customs would happen at BER upon Schengen entry. Only the US makes you claim and recheck when transiting (because we suck, a lot).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, I didn't consider how customs would play into it. TBH I've no idea, flying TO Dublin was actually from the non-schengen terminal so maybe they'd have us go through customs at the final destination normally?

After googling "short checking" it seems that some airlines will let you do it if it's a long layover. I had 23 hours flying out and they kept the bag (which was fine and I didn't ask for jt) but hopefully 10 hours this time might be enough.

Since it's actually the return leg of my trip, they can't really cancel anything to screw me over but this luggage thing is definitely a complication. Worst case I could still fly to Berlin and waste a later Ryanair ticket I have from Dublin instead.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mortabis posted:

I have a great trick for dealing with airline seats and it's being short enough that all of them are reasonably comfortable

Posting this from economy on a BA 787

My trick is upgrading to business class.

Posting this while laying down in United Polaris on a 787.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

IIRC in that particular incident they also put some of the blame on NOTAM fatigue -- the runway closure being buried below five hundred NOTAMs about 200 foot cranes and above the ones warning against overflights of Syria -- which is something I think every pilot in America has griped about at some point.