Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Guavanaut posted:

New sapience scale just dropped:
Hawking, Bastani, NJAN99, dugs, hamsters, plants, rock wool, Starmer, Johnson, 0

i dunno why you keep blowing smoke up my arse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a very fuzzy scale. Some of those cockapoos are very cerebral when they're not pissing on the stairs.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its absolutely that play.

But the tweet is daft. I can explain the difference and I'm sure bastani is smarter than me so he can too.

He looks shifty as hell.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

^^^yeah. Like I wonder how many times that trick works and how many times the full video gets played more often than the soundbite, especially now

my mate has a cockapoo, bought during lockdown for the price of like a human trafficked child (guessing). It hates me, they're idiots.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
NO SMOKE WIVVOUT FIRE M8 SIMPLE AS ENDOV :mcrappe:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

what about smoke grenades?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Speaking personally I don't really see how much work I could do while drinking beer and eating a curry but I have never worked from home.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think I could write a few dozen reports about how "we need to appeal to the Red Wall boomer seats with dry flegs and wut uggs" with a couple of beers and a curry in me. Probably easier if I was a bit buzzed and desperately needed a poo poo than not.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1522624213512769536?s=19

Strikes are wrong at a time when Negotiations are ongoing.

I'm not sure if I've actually listened to Starmer's voice before but I clicked play on this and he sounds like C3PO if he got bullied into huffing helium.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking personally I don't really see how much work I could do while drinking beer and eating a curry but I have never worked from home.

It was a constituency office. They were all (most of them certainly) explicitly away from home and unable to eat without getting the takeaway. If work takes you away from the comforts of home, I would suggest, you might expect to be fed for your efforts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I'm not sure if I've actually listened to Starmer's voice before but I clicked play on this and he sounds like C3PO if he got bullied into huffing helium.

TrashFuture has him as dweeb Alan Partridge

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Personally, I find all the Partygate stuff dumb as hell. In both cases, it involved two sets of people who all work in close proximity continuing to be in close proximity when they aren't working in that specific moment. I get people were upset because the rules were poorly and punitively enforced seemingly at whim and far worse things happened like the Care Homes massacres and demanding that people go back into Covid filled schools purely to look hard against a virus but the British Press operates on small time poo poo being blown up beyond all proportion and the stuff that actually matters being dumped into the back burner because we don't want to set a precedent where any of this poo poo matters.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

bit long for a thread title imho

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
So my council is NOC from Tory.
Labour gained 14 seats and needed just 1 more to have 50% of the seats.
So Labour is biggest party by 4 seats.

There are a few 'other' (independents, green, and I think a plaid cymru). No libdems, I don't think any stood.

Despite my misgivings about Westminster Labour, it's nice to see a fair few people I know from my days in the party (not with beers and curry) who are good eggs elected to county council.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Everyone seems to forget that there were actually like 5 reported instances of Johnson throwing parties during lockdown, most of them he just hasn't been fined for (yet?). That's what crosses the line for me, he didn't just slip up and get caught bending the rules. He willfully gave no shits about them over an extended period of time while slaughtering the elderly en masse.

As much as Kier should resign in disgrace the work beer and curry thing doesn't really compare.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Wow the Lib Dems absolutely *stormed* it here. Took almost every Tory seat. And Labour have none here now. Lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Personally, I find all the Partygate stuff dumb as hell.
Same, but I think it fits into a larger pattern of Johnson being a callous arsehole. I missed out on a couple of family wakes and funerals out of concern for relatives, I followed epidemiological best practices while he was boasting about shaking hands with Covid patients, and I know people who had to stand behind glass for closer friends and relatives due to the results of a systemic failure of healthcare upkeep and basic social concern. I can see why people would project that onto his parties as a focal point of rage even as I don't really care compared to the other stuff.

But drumming on that did effectively ask for Starmer's beer poo poo to get roped in. "We wouldn't even have needed a lockdown if the NHS wasn't kept on the brink and we had the biosecurity systems our own national reports said we should have had and integrated them with the local environmental health and notifiable disease teams" would have been the more factual response, but I guess that doesn't play well with the focus group who think that means that immigrants get to monitor your cats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And also if he had something wrong with his brain that made him just repeat the same thing over and over in response to questions lol.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

At least he could happily fit in posting here then.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

stev posted:

Everyone seems to forget that there were actually like 5 reported instances of Johnson throwing parties during lockdown, most of them he just hasn't been fined for (yet?). That's what crosses the line for me, he didn't just slip up and get caught bending the rules. He willfully gave no shits about them over an extended period of time while slaughtering the elderly en masse.

As much as Kier should resign in disgrace the work beer and curry thing doesn't really compare.

I think that's by design as well. We're not talking about the time Boris did a line off the top of a policeman's hat while he was still wearing it because we're in the weeds talking about if a quick birthday party broke the rules.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'll bet in that picture where keith is laughing with his bottle of beer, he'd just finished telling one of his best anecdotes about the time someone in pret ah mawn-jay got his order slightly wrong but he had the last laugh because he was actually 30p better off

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

At least he could happily fit in posting here then.

not sure we need two of you

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2022-05-06/no-dup-executive-return-until-ni-protocol-issues-resolved-donaldson-confirms

Big Jeffery already saying there won't an Assembly in NI.
Having Rees Mogg take over NI not sounding so bad after all lol.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

3 wards in my council have reported and 2 are tory gains or no changes, and one is labour :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2022-05-06/no-dup-executive-return-until-ni-protocol-issues-resolved-donaldson-confirms

Big Jeffery already saying there won't an Assembly in NI.
Having Rees Mogg take over NI not sounding so bad after all lol.
We are the Democratic Unionists and the last thing we want is to be called to serve on the basis of some kind of popular vote, especially as it will probably end up being turned towards an undemocratic border poll, which we oppose on principle because we know that the last thing that the people as a whole want is to be asked about what the people as a whole want, because we asked them, and so on and therefore something something fringe extremist elements and the most democratic option is to poo poo on everything until direct rule happens.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It was a constituency office. They were all (most of them certainly) explicitly away from home and unable to eat without getting the takeaway.
You've mentioned this a couple times, but the Sun (much as I loving despise them) ran a list of which takeaways were open and delivering in Durham, as well as the hotel having arrangements in place to provide takeaway food as room service.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tesseraction posted:

TrashFuture has him as dweeb Alan Partridge

Milo Edwards is the canonical leader of the Labour Party to me

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
And also crispix of course.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You've mentioned this a couple times, but the Sun (much as I loving despise them) ran a list of which takeaways were open and delivering in Durham, as well as the hotel having arrangements in place to provide takeaway food as room service.

oh ok thats that then.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Wouldn't they have had to get the takeaway delivered from one of the open takeaways then? I don't see the problem?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

oh ok thats that then.

Honestly Keith's problem is that during the pandemic, to paraphrase Malcolm Tucker, people don't like politicians enjoying themselves. They don't like them eating curries, or swigging beer, or gathering with other people even if it's for work. Whether it was strictly breaking the rules is starting to take a back seat.

The fact that Boris was fined first for one of his less egregious breaches of the rules, ostensibly taking a short break for some birthday cake during the work day, and Keir went in so hard on him works against him now that he can't explain well why his 'working lunch' is different from 'working cake'. If Boris had been fined for the invitation-to-drinks-on-the-terrace it might have been easier.

And yeah, I know they took place at different times under different rules. But to go down that angle is to end up in the weeds of how dumb and arbitrary the rules were.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

jabby posted:

Honestly Keith's problem is that during the pandemic, to paraphrase Malcolm Tucker, people don't like politicians enjoying themselves. They don't like them eating curries, or swigging beer, or gathering with other people even if it's for work. Whether it was strictly breaking the rules is starting to take a back seat.

The fact that Boris was fined first for one of his less egregious breaches of the rules, ostensibly taking a short break for some birthday cake during the work day, and Keir went in so hard on him works against him now that he can't explain well why his 'working lunch' is different from 'working cake'. If Boris had been fined for the invitation-to-drinks-on-the-terrace it might have been easier.

And yeah, I know they took place at different times under different rules. But to go down that angle is to end up in the weeds of how dumb and arbitrary the rules were.

He can explain the difference and has. But that video was the weird miliband thing where he was obviously briefed to say the same old soundbite nonsense over and over again.

Other than that yeah pretty much agree although does anyone, outside of this forum, really care about him? like at all or having a beer?

Whereas Boris is a target.

I do, with current knowledge, think the cases are vastly different though.

Oh and from what I understand Boris will be fined twice more.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Milo Edwards is the canonical leader of the Labour Party to me

and just like Corbyn, due to his musings on Masters Of Our Domain he is also cancelled for anti-Semitism

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wouldn't they have had to get the takeaway delivered from one of the open takeaways then? I don't see the problem?
99's claim was that they had no other way to get food while out on the road which wasn't true - restaurants had been open for outdoor eating since the 12th.

Even if they had just been eating, they didn't need to cluster all 30 of them into a room to eat and then remain afterwards drinking.

It's all very dumb, mostly because this is what gets Keith shitcanned? Even moreso because all of the Sun articles pointing this out are cowritten by the ex partner of Boris' current (Wife? Partner? Carer? I can't keep up).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

99's claim was that they had no other way to get food while out on the road which wasn't true - restaurants had been open for outdoor eating since the 12th.

Even if they had just been eating, they didn't need to cluster all 30 of them into a room to eat and then remain afterwards drinking.

It's all very dumb, mostly because this is what gets Keith shitcanned? Even moreso because all of the Sun articles pointing this out are cowritten by the ex partner of Boris' current (Wife? Partner? Carer? I can't keep up).

Actually that wasn't my claim and I've never heard there were 30 of them before?

So you send some interns to durham and then tell them to go eat outdoors somewhere? Great boss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also given that starmer keeps testing positive for covid I don't think he should be around anyone tbh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's probably also because "I bet you all wish you could do what we did, ignoring the rules, like what Boris did, ignoring the rules, like something that your old boss or your mate's annoying brother did, ignoring the rules, and also a bit like what Kieth did, ignoring the rules, but it's okay to specifically hate on that last one, he's a traitor, bremoaner, boo" is about the only line left available to a press that has been openly flouting or pissing and moaning about every perceived minor inconvenience from any public health measure since day one.
When the leaders don't care and the opposition can't come up with any alternative then that's your dancefloor.

Understandably people just come away from that hating the whole lot of 'em all the same isn't it, which Starmer is ideal chaff for.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As noted I also think it does just put you very much in mind of the rules being very stupid with the exceptions, but at the same time important in spirit because if everyone hadn't done the lockdowns then lots more people would have died (yes obviously they shouldn't have been necessary in the first place, but once they were, most people demonstrably did their bit and people avoided dying because of it) and when starmer comes out saying "actually me having a gathering where I ate curry and drank beer is OK because it's work" I think people rightly understand that that is entirely against the spirit of the effort that most other people were sticking to.

It doesn't matter whether it was technically allowed, it's still going to accurately be perceived as a slight against everyone who did give things up for him to look for excuses as to why he can have a lovely work do. Which itself is arguably a subset of the massive problem in politics where like you say, they can do what they like on the back of our effort.

The main difference between them is that boris just lies, while starmer is an annoying loving nerd who goes "ackshually I am technically allowed to do this because of this bit here in the rules where it says I am" and you just want to flush his head down the bog.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 7, 2022

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So did we win at politics? Or was following it all instead of paying attention to our loved ones meaningless yet again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mebh posted:

So did we win at politics? Or was following it all instead of paying attention to our loved ones meaningless yet again?

Yes.