Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
:siren:YET ANOTHER FRIDAY IS UPON US:siren:

some have been critical of my movie choices over the last few weeks, stating that too many of the movies we've watched have been good. i have heard your complaints, and i have to admit that i agree entirely. so, having climbed to the top board, let's take a swan dive into the shallow, fetid water of the unmaintained public pool that is cinema!

1. 2025: The World Enslaved by a Virus

mentioned way back in the thread, it's a vanity project from an evangelical youth pastor and the child-bride he groomed about the terrifying dangers of simple, effective, common-sense public health measures.

2. New World Order: The End Has Come

a group of ragtag heroes struggle against the antichrist and his legions with the power of white, american jesus and the second amendment, as god gave to moses atop the mountain

3. Extinction: the GMO Chronicles

an english language movie made by germans. i didn't see anything gmo's, let alone jesus, in the plot synopsis in imdb, but i'm guessing we're in for some paranoia about the former if not both. still, looks like they at least wanted to make something that at least kind of worked like a regular zombie movie.

join us over at DeadDiscordMedia at 8:00 est, a little over 2 hours from now.

i might be over-correcting on the film quality ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

hello old friend

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The ending of Interstellar worked for me, idk. Yeah it was cheesy and sentimental but so was Contact, and I loved that, too.

I was far more annoyed that they landed on the planet without anyone noticing that there were mile high tidal waves

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

looks like assatar

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Dr. Thoss posted:

an english language movie made by germans.

lol that also applies to 2025. you're in for a whole lot of german accents

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

TENET is a great vibes movies and a technical achievement all it's own.

kind of a non-sequitur but I feel the same way about cloud Atlas. and having just realized this, I'm going to spend some time processing how I feel about it

kalel fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 6, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
kalel, no

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lmao at squeezing that in between day long probations

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Dr. Thoss posted:

an english language movie made by germans. i didn't see anything gmo's, let alone jesus, in the plot synopsis in imdb, but i'm guessing we're in for some paranoia about the former if not both. still, looks like they at least wanted to make something that at least kind of worked like a regular zombie movie.

This is probably the worst tagline I've seen.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

looks like poo poo op

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

That DICK! posted:

looks like assatar

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
free bust rodd

also check out my updated vinegar syndrome/partner release collection. i should get around to watching these

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I wonder if anyone would notice if you made one of those left behind style antichrist movies but then had the protagonists realize "Holy poo poo we were totally wrong this isn't the end times" and then live their lives to the fullest after leaving their apocalyptic death cult. Just the whole back half of the movie people making wholesome secular decisions.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sunk Dunk posted:

free bust rodd

too expensive by half

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

he said JAP and they thought he said jap. classic comedy of errors guy, that bust rodd

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Sunk Dunk posted:

also check out my updated vinegar syndrome/partner release collection. i should get around to watching these

Nice. Also only 3 more weeks until their next big sale.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Bustin my Rodd

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Also lmao some hack at Telegraph or some other one called Avatar 2 "a glorified tech demo"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Sunk Dunk posted:

free bust rodd

Hell yeah Six String Samurai

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Galewolf posted:

Also lmao some hack at Telegraph or some other one called Avatar 2 "a glorified tech demo"

it does look like those TV demos tho

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Interstellar was maybe the greatest theatre experience I ever had. Apparently someone in the crowd spotted a friend's wife in the theatre with her man mistress and called the husband. He showed up about an hour into the movie, got in a screaming match with his wife then got in a wrestling match with the other guy in the entrance to thale theatre. Everyone got a refund voucher for another movie and a 10 dollar coupon for theatre concessions

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Interstellar was maybe the greatest theatre experience I ever had. Apparently someone in the crowd spotted a friend's wife in the theatre with her man mistress and called the husband. He showed up about an hour into the movie, got in a screaming match with his wife then got in a wrestling match with the other guy in the entrance to thale theatre. Everyone got a refund voucher for another movie and a 10 dollar coupon for theatre concessions

Finally a Christopher Nolan film with realistic humans with realistic motivations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just got back from Dr. Strange 2, it was actually pretty bonkers and Raimi's fingerprints were all over it. I still have no idea if the plot makes sense, but it does have a lot of character. And a lot of characters, but there's a pretty clear dividing line between the main characters and the cameos who basically all die, some quite violently. (I was pretty taken aback when the not-Banshee guy got his mouth erased and his brain blew out the back of his head when he tried to scream, though it was still enclosed in his cowl.)

Also there's literally a scene where 2 Dr. Stranges fight by throwing music notes at each other while the soundtrack plays light and dark classical music. All of which is played completely straight and actually affects the plot in a significant way. Plenty of random reaction shots and dutch angles, of course.

And then of course at the climax, he uses the dark arts to possess his corpse from another universe (which he buried in this one earlier) so that he can become a zombie and throw skeleton ghosts at people

It's still impressively grounded in a character arc more or less borrowed from WandaVision, but the final battle is definitely more satisfying here, instead of blue laser vs. red laser. That's basically the only way it resembles the first Dr. Strange movie -- a final encounter that isn't just about who can punch better or shoot better magic. Compared to that movie which was about as formulaic as they get, this was pretty out there. Will definitely be too dark for some.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 7, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dr. Thoss posted:

:siren:YET ANOTHER FRIDAY IS UPON US:siren:

some have been critical of my movie choices over the last few weeks, stating that too many of the movies we've watched have been good. i have heard your complaints, and i have to admit that i agree entirely. so, having climbed to the top board, let's take a swan dive into the shallow, fetid water of the unmaintained public pool that is cinema!

1. 2025: The World Enslaved by a Virus

mentioned way back in the thread, it's a vanity project from an evangelical youth pastor and the child-bride he groomed about the terrifying dangers of simple, effective, common-sense public health measures.

Oh my god the germans speaking heavily accented english is so bad, this is a level below even Pureflix, this is beyond abysmal

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
https://deadline.com/2022/05/fred-s...uct-1235018451/

quote:

Fred Savage Fired As ‘The Wonder Years’ EP/Director Following Investigation Into Inappropriate Conduct

not fred savage

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i do not give a poo poo about star trek and i watched the new strange new worlds trek episode and it was fine, i enjoyed it and my buddy who loves trek enjoyed it a lot

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Lmao

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Firebert posted:

The ending of Interstellar worked for me, idk. Yeah it was cheesy and sentimental but so was Contact, and I loved that, too.

I was far more annoyed that they landed on the planet without anyone noticing that there were mile high tidal waves

The entire water planet sequence was Prometheus tier.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Finished watching "After Yang" (2021)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nhw1tcGN3Y

More like After YAWN :haw:

Just kidding it's a good lil' movie!

From A24 the Disney of hipsters, Colin Dadrrell in his daddest role yet owns a person/android who assists his adopted daughter, but soon must deal with robo-repairs, and as the movie goes on we discover this techno-slave has a more interesting life than he does.

Based on some Sci-Fi short story I've never heard of, but definitely a good one. Seems a bit old-school, in a good way. I'm inspired to check out some of the author's books.

Cool editing, definitely has a flavor of its own (seems like the director also edited the movie, so nice work), great pacing, very nice vibe, if somewhat sad at times, but you won't leave crying like in other dramas (maybe you'll shed a stoic tear while you wonder how humanity will deal with an AI future)

I award this movie 3.5 Comfys, and some advice: (redacted to avoid possible spoilers?)

Can't wait for the sequel! (Narrator: The movie made $130,896 usd worldwide. There would be no sequel.)

edit: I've been thinking lately that Colin Farrell and Jake Jake Gyllenhaal are two of the coolest actors of their generation, they make commercial stuff but I appreciate that they also do quirky movies on the side.

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 7, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

He likes to watch

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

seeing the docking sequence in IMAX and physically feeling the music blare into my body made me sick, but in a good way

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

the worst theater going experience of my life was seeing The Secret Life of Pets 2 at a mall Cineplex that had overcranked the audio so badly I had to put my fingers in my ears

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Firebert posted:

I agree with your first part and as for the second part something something time dilation something something.

It kinda made sense I guess.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My weirdest theater experience was during 1917. Specifically when one of the main characters is being killed very intimately and this dude up front starts groaning and vomiting on the floor uncontrollably. It’s like 2 PM and the guy looked and sounded completely blackout wasted. Eventually EMT come and wake him up and take him out. Our movie is restarted to right before the death scene and life goes on. Got a free movie voucher for our troubles.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of 1917, the final run is just loving phenomenal and watching it in theaters is something I wish I could have seen. I regret not seeing the film sooner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYCo-3pw52o

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

George H.W. oval office posted:

My weirdest theater experience was during 1917.

How old are goons these days, geez

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Arc Hammer posted:

Speaking of 1917, the final run is just loving phenomenal and watching it in theaters is something I wish I could have seen. I regret not seeing the film sooner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYCo-3pw52o

I saw 1917 in a 4D theatre and it was actually underwhelming. Little puffs of smoke here and there, a gentle spray of water when he jumps in the river, motion seats that didn't make me feel like I was getting shelled. Compared to Fury Road in a DBox seat which made me physically exhausted.

As for the final run I felt like the score was really lacking there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cacator posted:

I saw 1917 in a 4D theatre and it was actually underwhelming. Little puffs of smoke here and there, a gentle spray of water when he jumps in the river, motion seats that didn't make me feel like I was getting shelled. Compared to Fury Road in a DBox seat which made me physically exhausted.

As for the final run I felt like the score was really lacking there.

Screw all that smoke and water stuff. I just wish i could have watched it in a theater, none of that 4D nonsense. It's an editing masterpiece and the fact they only had money for two takes of the last run and they edited them together seamlessly is impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I saw 1917 in the theater. My opinion is the movie would have been better if they didn't stick to the camera thing strictly.