Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

manero posted:

Classic Nancy - 1947

5/3

drat Sluggo

Dear Jesus, I've seen what you've done for Arlo + Janis and I want that for me.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics
Choosing to interpret this as him wistfully thinking of all the stealing he'd do, if only he had the time.
Liam McPoyle makes a good point.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Was Rex Morgan always this insane of a comic? I can't look away, like it's a gory car accident.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise presents: Uncle Happy

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

come the gently caress on

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Ghostlight posted:

no no, i'm listening. elon musk is a combination of a man whose attempts to further humanity were done entirely out of personal financial interest, a desperate cheat forever living in the shadow of a relative's wealth, an intergalactic conman only one bad day away from selling sex slaves, and finally a being whose power is only matched by his childishness. that sounds pretty accurate.

I feel like this is the intended reading of the comic, to an extent. Like, nobody who knows anything about Star Trek is going to think Harry Mudd is a good guy or someone to be emulated. If it was just the other three, then maybe you could just see it as "Man this guy sure is cool" but Harry Mudd messes up that interpretation.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I feel like this is the intended reading of the comic, to an extent. Like, nobody who knows anything about Star Trek is going to think Harry Mudd is a good guy or someone to be emulated. If it was just the other three, then maybe you could just see it as "Man this guy sure is cool" but Harry Mudd messes up that interpretation.

You are vastly overestimating the brain power of the Big Bang Theory audience this comic is made by and for.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Sundae posted:

Was Rex Morgan always this insane of a comic? I can't look away, like it's a gory car accident.

Rex Morgan has 2 modes:

-Banal & boring, aggressively preventing interesting things from happening
-Nonsense

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Wow, I knew the Evanses would think of a stupid solution, but this is exceptionally stupid.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

Nah, I'm thinking this guy considers Mudd just a loveable rogue and scamp, much like how Musk's behaving like a more repugnant Richie Rich and dehumanization of his work force is just quirky and zany, thereby excusing one fictional rear end in a top hat and one genuine real life monster.

edit: I'm basing this on Intelligent Life being one of the most superficial nerd comics I've ever seen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

L-Innsikt

TegneHanne

Pondus

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Which, as someone who likes sashimi OK but is not a super fan of, I don't really get? All you really do to serve it is choose nice fish and cut it, and it doesn't seem like your skill as a chef would have a huge impact on its flavor. But oh well, this is Maruoka and it's all about the trope.

Monya the Grey

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

Which, as someone who likes sashimi OK but is not a super fan of, I don't really get? All you really do to serve it is choose nice fish and cut it, and it doesn't seem like your skill as a chef would have a huge impact on its flavor. But oh well, this is Maruoka and it's all about the trope.

Monya the Grey

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Legal Murder Laughs and Goofs

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Busy morning, late comics.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/5/02

Brenda Starr 9/6-8/48

Faith an' begorra, all cops were Irish in the 1940s.

Smokey Stover 9/28/47

Everyday Movies 2/12/35

"There's going to be trouble when they give us the hotel bill -- we'd better start fighting with them about it tomorrow."

Bonus Ad! Shrinkage!

(the title and pose are a play on the controversial painting September Morn.)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hostile V posted:

I kind of want a Sunday strip of this someday that's just someone hunting down and killing a member of the protagonist's inner circle as part of their job, then the cast only finding out when they pass their packaged and stamped remains in the supermarket.
Then it ends with the surviving members of the family mugging at the camera over barbeque with 'well, this is definitely them - they always had such great taste!' :haw:

The weekday strips resume and nobody ever mentions it again.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hostile V posted:

Okay, this one got a chuckle out of me. But I'm not a fan of groundhog day hullaballoo to begin with (the movie is fine, though)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (December 15-17, 1921)

Toonerville Folks (March 10-12, 1919)

Dok's Dippy Obstacle Course (February 12, 1914)

Little Lefty (July 21-23, 1936 (Monday the 22nd was an accidental reprint))

Blondie (From Zero) (January 18-20, 1932)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

Hohhh geez :cry:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

loving SERIOUSLY?

*flips table*

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

me reading holbrook logic:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/PopeyeTweetsk/status/1522644024527667200

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

EBB posted:

me reading holbrook logic:

what strikes me the most about this one is if this world is engineered not to cause the environmental problems and inevitable disaster of the human world, why are there endangered species? why were pandas allowed to evolve themselves into a non-viable niche? why did any of evolution work in exactly these same ways?

really dumb, but really funny to boggle at

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
At least it doesn't actively aggravate me like Safe Havens and Mary Worth. Holy poo poo Mary Worth is bad.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Ever since the Wilbur fakeout it's been getting worse and worse. And I'm also fairly certain that Moy and Brigman are aware of us based on an interview from a little while ago.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

At least it doesn't actively aggravate me like Safe Havens and Mary Worth. Holy poo poo Mary Worth is bad.

She doesn't even meddle anymore! She just hands out muffins while people deal with their problems on their own.

Absolutely pointless.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mister Olympus posted:

what strikes me the most about this one is if this world is engineered not to cause the environmental problems and inevitable disaster of the human world, why are there endangered species? why were pandas allowed to evolve themselves into a non-viable niche? why did any of evolution work in exactly these same ways?

really dumb, but really funny to boggle at

And the pandas are in a zoo. We haven't put people in zoos since--

...uh yeah, don't google that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

Monya the Grey

:0(((

Maybe conspiracy and death will make me feel less sad. So, in today's Blueberry: Blueberry plays some hide and seek, or More stress for Grant's retinue, or Grant has a dorky taste in pajamas

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 30, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

I feel attacked.

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Reminder that this is an old Computoon, from 2002.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

End of part 1! Things are just getting cooking! See you on Monday. If you've jumped into this story mid-way, you can go back to the start here.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (October 6-8, 1938)

The Goldie/Moonfixer situation hasn't resolved so much as it found another gear.
My guess? He stole the items himself and is trying to get some free cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Reddick is just naming Star Trek characters he thinks are cool and memorable. There's no more to it than that.