Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
That studio stainless is absolute class. I was putting well the other day and one of the randos I was playing with said that only true players have a Scotty in the bag and then I proceeded to 3 putt the next two holes with my phantom x 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I love my white hot 2-ball putter. The feel off the face is incredible, and the two balls really work for me aiming wise.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Today I was feeling pretty good post covid-wise so I spent 15 minutes on the putting green. That went well, although there were too many other people around to feel fully comfortable but whatever. One thing I realized though was that how I set up placed my hands just below my grip, so I went off to a proshop (Golf Town) and putted through several different models while I had my shaft cut down an inch. I have a mad pull bias with mallet putters and more face balanced blades. I even tried a two ball putter but it felt soft and mushy--was a common problem with mallets generally for me; I apparently need more feedback through my putter. Relatedly, while at the putting green I preferred putting with a Dunlop and a Calloway than the TP5, which felt similarly soft (although I love striking those balls). The only putter on their rackthat worked for me as well as my putter was...an Anser, listed new at $360 CDN. Or a milled Anser listed at well over $500 lol. But finding a good used Anser definitely seems to be the right way to go to just have something new; the only used one they had was milled and listed for sale at $260.

Funny thing, when I came back from paying for the work the tech was taking practice strokes and checking the toe hang. When I apologized for how old the thing was he shook me off and said "I really need more toe hang in my game, this feels really good to me." He seemed happier when I said the ones listed on ebay are basically going for shipping +$15

My old Northwestern:

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 30, 2022

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Supposedly a twitter account ran by Patrick Reeds team had this hot take about Tiger getting tips from the director of golf at Southern Hills

https://www.golfwrx.com/675969/patr...Cma9KdYX4pYIkh0

I love all the pro replies saying, why yes, if you ask you will get the same treatment lol

Stay classy team reed lol

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
It’s Justine. I’ve confirmed it as Kessler is one of my best friends. She sits at home alone when she doesn’t go on these trips, stays up all night, and then just works herself up into posting this stuff because no one is there to tell her it’s a bad idea.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Isn't that loving goblin also the main reason why Reed doesn't talk to his family?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Shrapnig posted:

Isn't that loving goblin also the main reason why Reed doesn't talk to his family?

I have some time this morning and my ADHD medication just kicked in so here we go. I want to preface this by saying that I am not a Patrick Reed apologist by any means. I believe he has done some shady stuff and I believe he lies about things it's unnecessary to lie about, but I have seen enough proof of these things to be true to trust them and I do believe it helps explain WHY he is the way he is, but again, that doesn't excuse it.

Yes, Justine has clearly had a mental decline from the time when I was interacting with her every day (2007ish) to now but there's a lot more to his family story than the media has ever portrayed. Patrick's dad was physically and mentally abusive to Patrick growing up and was probably an alcoholic. I've corroborated this with a guy on another forum whose Aunt lived next door to the Reeds for years and when I mentioned that I had heard he was abusive, this guy called his Aunt and she confirmed it.

So imagine you're little socially awkward Patrick Reed as a child. You love exactly one thing in the entire world and it's golf. You don't really have any friends, you don't have any other hobbies, and your dad tells everyone he meets that you're going to be on tour some day. You have this one thing and you enjoy doing it more than anything else. It's what you live for. But... if you happen to have a bad day or even just play your best but don't manage to beat kids you should be able to beat, you know when you get home your dad is going to beat the absolute poo poo out of you. And he does. And no one stops him. Maybe he even gets in a little appetizer of screaming at you in the parking lot before you ever even leave the course (something multiple people witnessed over the years).

Years later, when you're old enough that you meet a woman, y'all start dating, and eventually get married, you make the choice that you don't want to associate with your family anymore. Your parents are textbook narcissists and abusers, clearly only interested in you because of what you could offer them, but they don't actually care about your feelings. And here's this woman you've met who has a family that also might be a little kooky but are generally well meaning. The Karains didn't abuse their kids (other than by convincing Justine and Kristianne that those Barbara Streisand haircuts are a good look) and you get along great with your brother-in-law, so well that you eventually ask him to be your caddie. You and Justine hit every Monday qualifier you can get to, you win 6 of them, and then you go through Q-School and finally make it on Tour like you always wanted.

Then someone mentions that you're estranged from your family. Your wife fires back that of course you are, your dad was an abusive alcoholic who beat you.

And no one looks into it.

Your parents continue to show up to tournaments multiple times a year, knowing you don't want them there. Finally, security has them removed from the US Open in 2014 after your dad threatened Justine on the course.

And Golf Monthly writes an article about how your wicked wife won't even let your parents watch you play. (The continue to show up to tournaments to this day. They even flew halfway around the world to go to the Ryder Cup in Paris.)

Okay, so clearly the media isn't actually going to look into any allegations, no matter how easily they could be corroborated, so you're just going to ignore it and play golf.

And then, in 2018, Golf.com and Alan loving Shipnuck put a camera crew in your parents' house so they can tell their sob story on national TV. No mention of any allegations of abuse. No mention of the fact that it was USGA Security that removed the parents from the US Open, not Justine. No mention of anything negative related to your parents.

So yeah, Justine has gone a little off the rails. She doesn't trust the tour and she doesn't trust golf media, and when you spend so much time alone it can lead to lashing out every time you think someone is treating your husband unfairly. To be fair to her though, the company that your husband works for, who is supposed to protect him (and does protect other players) continues to allow his abusers to show up to his job and antagonize him. They continue to allow his abusers a platform to convince people that you've manipulated him into marrying you and cut them off. I can't imagine a scenario where I, as a parent, would love my child so much that I would continue to show up where he works knowing he doesn't want me there. Knowing it would affect his job performance and his livelihood. That doesn't strike me as loving parents, it strikes me as people who want the attention that their son can bring.

Everyone brushes this stuff off, doesn't look into the allegations, doesn't give him the benefit of the doubt on any of this because of his past but the reality is that his past is the reason he does these things. And the sad fact is that if he wasn't a man, if he was an LPGA player instead who accused her parents of being abusive, the media would have a field day writing about what this woman has overcome.

So yes, again, Justine is not the same person I knew growing up. But I can't say I blame her for trying her best to stand up for her husband when it's clear no one else will.

Daric fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 3, 2022

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I don't give a poo poo about the social media stuff. He's a cheater and a thief, and that's all the reason I need to dislike the guy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Interesting read, thanks for that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got my assignments as a walking scorer for the Women’s PGA Championship in mid-June. Tuesday 1pm hole 10, Thursday 1:30pm hole 10, and Sunday 10am hole 10. The Thursday group might be featured on TV but that’s it. I guess I’ll at least be able to watch the last groups on Sunday after my duties are over, even though I won’t be inside the ropes.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 4, 2022

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

My course is an absolute warzone this year. We had a weird winter with a good bit of snow but then after most of it melted we got a ton of rain which promptly froze up and formed about 3" of ice on all the greens. Needless to say they are looking like they're made entirely of sand right now. Hole #9 had a special tarp though and its green is in better shape than I've ever seen it, even in the middle of summer. Hope they do invest in some more of those for the rest of the course.

This has all resulted in "temporary greens" which are just holes put into the middle of the fairway and the course is probably playing ~1000 yards short. Still just happy to have the chance to golf again and use my new clubs.

Prior to the last 3 days my best score on this course is 91.

Saturday I shot 88

Sunday I shot 95 then went back out to make it 36 holes and I shot... 78 :smug:... I'm having a hard time "counting" it because of how short the course is playing but holy poo poo I was playing well. 5 birdies and 2 chip ins. Played the whole round with one ball too.

Went out and played 9 holes this evening and was +7 but hitting the irons really well. Just duffed a couple of drives and tried to play hero shots which led to a triple bogey but other than that it was solid.

Super stoked for another season of golf at this point. If the irons keep clicking and my putting is okay I think I can achieve regular scores in the 80's

Well, that's my story.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

On one hand that’s horrifying for what Reed went through growing up (if true, and I don’t doubt Daric).

On the other hand, his wife could grow up and not be a social media cancer, or just delete social media entirely and support him privately. This is some Kevin Durant second account level poo poo.

Reed hasn’t done anything worth mentioning in professional golf aside from that epic Ryder Cup match against Rory, and even that was more memorable than his Masters win.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Douchebag posted:

On one hand that’s horrifying for what Reed went through growing up (if true, and I don’t doubt Daric).

On the other hand, his wife could grow up and not be a social media cancer, or just delete social media entirely and support him privately. This is some Kevin Durant second account level poo poo.

Reed hasn’t done anything worth mentioning in professional golf aside from that epic Ryder Cup match against Rory, and even that was more memorable than his Masters win.

I would say your third paragraph contradicts itself a bit.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
One of the courses near me is closed for the year because they're putting an oil pipeline through the middle of it.

That's my golf post for today.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

MustardFacial posted:

One of the courses near me is closed for the year because they're putting an oil pipeline through the middle of it.

That's my golf post for today.
my slice is gonna cause an oil spill

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Something something bunkers filled with bunker fuel.

There's a joke in there somewhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1522247743862882304

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Golf fitting report, tried Ping i500s, TaylorMade P770s, Titleist T100s, and Miura TC-201s. The Miura’s were of course my best club but they were almost 2x as much as my second best the P770s so I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the 770s. The Miura’s were reallllly nice though.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jovial Cow posted:

Golf fitting report, tried Ping i500s, TaylorMade P770s, Titleist T100s, and Miura TC-201s. The Miura’s were of course my best club but they were almost 2x as much as my second best the P770s so I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the 770s. The Miura’s were reallllly nice though.

Can confirm Miura's are nice :)

Where did you go to get fit, Club Champion?

Although, so far no one that I have golfed with has ever heard of them lol

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

mattfl posted:

Can confirm Miura's are nice :)

Where did you go to get fit, Club Champion?

Although, so far no one that I have golfed with has ever heard of them lol

TruSpec Golf, got a gift certificate for my bday. I’m jealous, part of me is just trying to justify it and say you’ll amortize it over a decade, just do it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jovial Cow posted:

TruSpec Golf, got a gift certificate for my bday. I’m jealous, part of me is just trying to justify it and say you’ll amortize it over a decade, just do it.

Ah nice. I just said gently caress it and dropped the coin on the Mirua’s. My thinking was, I’m buying something nice for myself let’s loving splurge lol. I play 60-70 rounds a year, I’ll get my monies worth outta them.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

:lol: at PGA Tour players being frustrated they of all people don't have enough control as is.

https://twitter.com/the_fried_egg/status/1522303897397866496

Anno fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 5, 2022

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Jovial Cow posted:

The real question is: how much more do they cost in absolute terms on a per year basis for the expected duration of use?
If you use them a lot over 6 or 7 years, and it costs $75 - $100 extra per year, is the niceness worth it?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Anno posted:

:lol: at PGA Tour players being frustrated they of all people don't have enough control as is.

https://twitter.com/the_fried_egg/status/1522303897397866496

Excited for Sergio’s debut on the ‘No Rules, Just Right’ Outback Steakhouse Tour.

These entitled jackasses are just so cringy.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Listen,

It's not a great look.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Do Titleist or Callaway stuff go on sale often for Father's Day or Memorial Day?

I'm thinking about picking up some new equipment, but I'd like to see if there's gonna be a sale first so I can maybe save some cash. At the very least I need a new glove or two; not sure if I'm experienced enough to get fitted for new clubs yet, although I'm getting decent enough with my form that I can reliably position myself and hit balls good with repeatable consistency (not so much with irons as with bigger clubs, but still progress).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

Do Titleist or Callaway stuff go on sale often for Father's Day or Memorial Day?

I'm thinking about picking up some new equipment, but I'd like to see if there's gonna be a sale first so I can maybe save some cash. At the very least I need a new glove or two; not sure if I'm experienced enough to get fitted for new clubs yet, although I'm getting decent enough with my form that I can reliably position myself and hit balls good with repeatable consistency (not so much with irons as with bigger clubs, but still progress).
Retailers might have a small sale for holidays, but your best bet is when new product lines are released. Callaway releases new stuff every year. Titleist is on a 2 year cycle: they released new irons this year (except for their MB and CB) and their new woods/hybrids will hit the tour around the US Open with an October release.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

I. M. Gei posted:

Just get the kirkland gloves from costco.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I've never tried the Kirkland gloves, but someone in this thread recommended the MG Golf gloves a while back. After buying a bunch of the "Elite" ones for $8/each, I can confirm that these are an insanely good deal. They feel just as good, if not better, than all of the ~$20 glove options from the standard golf companies and they seem to last longer before they need to be replaced.

https://www.mggolf.com/golf-gloves/

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BCRock posted:

I've never tried the Kirkland gloves, but someone in this thread recommended the MG Golf gloves a while back. After buying a bunch of the "Elite" ones for $8/each, I can confirm that these are an insanely good deal. They feel just as good, if not better, than all of the ~$20 glove options from the standard golf companies and they seem to last longer before they need to be replaced.

https://www.mggolf.com/golf-gloves/

poo poo I might have to give these a try.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I apologize if questions like this come up a lot in this thread -- I scrolled back a few pages and couldn't find anything.

This summer, I'd like to take golf a little more seriously and really improve the consistency of my swing. For the last decade, I've played at most a dozen rounds of golf, most of them scrambles. I've never taken lessons or done anything to actually get better at the game. I took a couple of lessons at GolfTec, and I really liked the feedback that came from being able to watch my swing and the flight of the ball. I think it'd be really hopeful to have something at the driving range that would give me the same feedback. There's also a really short 9-hole muni course that's often completely empty, so I might be able to do the same thing if I get out there alone.

Can anyone recommend a good set up for a shot tracer with a tripod for an iPhone? Or is this a total waste of my time and money?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Aggro posted:

I apologize if questions like this come up a lot in this thread -- I scrolled back a few pages and couldn't find anything.

This summer, I'd like to take golf a little more seriously and really improve the consistency of my swing. For the last decade, I've played at most a dozen rounds of golf, most of them scrambles. I've never taken lessons or done anything to actually get better at the game. I took a couple of lessons at GolfTec, and I really liked the feedback that came from being able to watch my swing and the flight of the ball. I think it'd be really hopeful to have something at the driving range that would give me the same feedback. There's also a really short 9-hole muni course that's often completely empty, so I might be able to do the same thing if I get out there alone.

Can anyone recommend a good set up for a shot tracer with a tripod for an iPhone? Or is this a total waste of my time and money?

This is actually a thing they've been putting in at driving ranges in the last couple years, look for something local to you here: https://www.toptracer.com/locations/

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I've been looking at this: https://irangesports.com/products/irangesports-stick-lite-1. Along with the magsafe puck, seems pretty straightforward. I don't know if any of the iPhone shot tracing apps are any good though

Weedle
May 31, 2006

there is a place called "golfsuites" in a suburb of my city that has one of those toptracer ranges and also serves beer and disgusting(ly delicious) fried items. would recommend

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Garmin Approach R10

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

MustardFacial posted:

Garmin Approach R10

That's one of the coolest gadgets I've ever seen. I don't think I can justify buying it while I'm still flat out terrible at golf but I definitely just found my dad's retirement present.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Don't you still need your phone in order to add shot tracing with the R10?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I shot +1 today :unsmith: Nice to see the lessons and practice are paying off!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

God drat it's been a WHILE since I've tested out any new stuff. Had my fitting today and a whole lot's changed since I got fit for my G15s back in 2008.

As most of you probably remember from my bitching over the years, I absolutely couldn't stand the hybrids that were basically like irons with thicker club heads. Swinging some that are more like fairway woods feels a ton better. Have a set of Ping G425s on the way. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Aggro posted:

That's one of the coolest gadgets I've ever seen. I don't think I can justify buying it while I'm still flat out terrible at golf but I definitely just found my dad's retirement present.

It’s incredible man. Whenever you can I highly recommend giving it a shot.