Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The ocean has enough problems already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's cool how we developed tools to destroy the world before we developed a way to understand what would destroy the world. Good poo poo. Anyway, what's up with this 'great filter' talk

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

Pathetic & feeble post. Begone, wormlet.

wow rude also thank god

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Did a(nother) community bike ride to try and get 500 m of bikeways finished off.

End goal being to connect two major bikeways , and bisect my city with a bikeway whilst generally following the major public transport routes , creating a micro-mobility/cycle highway

Imagine being against being able to ride 40km north to south and not having risk of being hit by a car because of "potential impacts to the way you use [X] street" with no actual named grievance

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/justinboldaji/status/1522681963840098304?s=20&t=60yP7c66udZuzsNLAKWFDA

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, supposedly Mexico’s air pollution has also been getting better due to a variety of factors. It is interesting to watch as both Mexico and even parts of Canada more seriously start to diverge from the US.

Also, a bunch of Mexican cities have genuine grade separated BRTs which is rarely talked about.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

i'd say this is loving unbelievable but i'd be kidding myself

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Aside from carbrains owning themselves I want to point out the very very tasteful and soothing contrast between the draping vines and greenery and the sharp concrete edges.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Neat old film about how bikes became useful transportation in WWII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzFMv-eIS7s

It'd be nice if modern bikes came with fenders, chain guard, and kick stands standard.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mystes posted:

I hate it when people put up no trespassing signs on public rights of way or try to hide them

there's been this fight going on for like 40 years about this coastal path where my parents holiday. The nearby property is owned by some really rich guy, but he hates that people get to walk between his garden and the sea and fenced it off. He said they could walk on the beach instead, but that only works at low tide. At one point the locals got a judgement that their right of way existed but the local council wouldn't enforce it, so a bunch of them turned up with hammers and did some public works themselves (this was in France).

I read about a similar story of direct action in England the other day but can't for the life of me find it.

distortion park has issued a correction as of 07:41 on May 7, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

sounds like hollister ranch outside Goleta

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
one of the fun things is everyone far and wide is recognizing how absolutely psychopathic drivers have become last 3 years and yet we are still so far from any sort of action and improving alternates that we probably have a decade or more of increasingly worse status quote psychopathy before we just collapse. let’s hope $10gal prices might force improving and building transit and keep peds safer but I doubt it

just increasing hell until collapse

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Dog Case posted:

EDIT: Since I'm still mad about it here's a local beach that's only as wide as the parking lot. There are no trespassing signs in the driftwood where you can't see them in the satellite view

I would simply trespass. :unsmigghh:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Norton posted:

it's crazy to me how far you can hear traffic if you are trying to enjoy the outdoors. i swear I have to go at least a mile into the woods before I stop hearing the highway.

I thought this was interesting:

"The right temperatures and wind conditions can bend highway noise like a prism bends light, thwarting roadside sound barriers and plopping sounds as loud as a vacuum cleaner into the yards of residents more than a quarter of a mile away. The effect often happens at dawn and dusk because sound bends from hotter air into cooler air. During the day, the ground is hotter than the air above it so sound bends vertically upward. The team reported that sound levels at the locations they measured a third of a mile from the highway — which normally have little highway noise the level of quiet rain — were at times above 67 decibels"

noise pollution is horrible. when I was trying to find a new apartment I'd bust out my phone and measure the decibels during the mornings (when I was most often viewing places for the first time)

I think the worst was a place that was 1500 feet from the highway; but inside the house I could somehow measure traffic over 65 decibels lol. there was a giant hill on the opposite side of the highway from the house and I imagine it was acting as some insane ampitheatre to make the highway even louder and focus all its noise into a suburban area.

anyways a lot of my ideal choices fell through because landlords are garbage who can't run a background check faster than over 3 weeks, and I ended up having to rent a place that's about 500 feet from the highway. 18 hours of every day there's just a shitload of ambient noise from the highway, with constant peaks 24/7 from random people mashing their accelerator as hard as they can. I try not to think about the air quality and how bad my lungs are gonna get hosed from living here for a year but oh well lol. This gave me the shortest possible work commute out of all my options because spending 60+ minutes total driving every work day was driving me insane and costing me a ton of money and probably the greatest risk of my life due to the risk of traffic accidents out of every lifestyle change I could make. The funny/sad part is if I was making just a biiiit more money I'd have been able to afford rent at a place that is literally within a thousand feet of my job. I could have been walking to/from work within moments! There's even a walmart nearby if I wanted to go totally car less!

At least my new place is near a bunch of stores and restaurants. Well, as long as I'm willing to drive to them, because they're all across a 4 lane stroad that's directly connected to a highway on ramp so it has constant traffic and no way to cross it. gently caress yeah!

I loving hate cars.

Minera has issued a correction as of 10:18 on May 7, 2022

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
thinking long and hard about the turn of phrase "driving insane"

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Ardennes posted:

Also, a bunch of Mexican cities have genuine grade separated BRTs which is rarely talked about.

yeah the brt in mexico city blew my mind a few years ago, they're all cruising along in separate lanes with ground-level stations where you pay before boarding, so you don't get that thing where one old person fumbling for a quarter grinds the entire boarding process to a halt. insanely short headways, too. something almost as good as a subway, built at what most have been 1/1000th the cost

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

PeterCat posted:

Neat old film about how bikes became useful transportation in WWII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzFMv-eIS7s

It'd be nice if modern bikes came with fenders, chain guard, and kick stands standard.

My kingdom for a more universal mounting and rack system for bike storage on front and back

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

yeah the brt in mexico city blew my mind a few years ago, they're all cruising along in separate lanes with ground-level stations where you pay before boarding, so you don't get that thing where one old person fumbling for a quarter grinds the entire boarding process to a halt. insanely short headways, too. something almost as good as a subway, built at what most have been 1/1000th the cost

Yeah, and Mexico City has a pretty decent metro as well. It is going to be interesting in the next few years because it seems there is a huge push to also improve transit in regional Mexican cities as well as start re-introducing intercity rail. Tijuana is also supposed to be getting a commuter rail service. (Also, in general Latin America has taken the BRT concept and run with it, specifically by providing short headways and grade separation.)

As far as Canada goes, it seems Montreal/Toronto/Ottawa are all pretty heavily investing in public transit. Canada is very car dominant (Not just Bikes is still right) but there seems to be an urge to follow international trends.

I would say the US specifically is uniquely bad even for North America. Most of the country besides the Western states are selling their systems fall into disuse.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:43 on May 7, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The us literally sticking its fingers in its ears but with cars instead.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'd kill for a proper separated BRT here. Instead they just made the smallest modifications to regular bus service and called it BRT

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Milo and POTUS posted:

The us literally sticking its fingers in its ears but with cars instead.

there are other things in the ears other than cars too

mystes
May 31, 2006

leftist heap posted:

I'd kill for a proper separated BRT here. Instead they just made the smallest modifications to regular bus service and called it BRT
That's not brt it's brrt the sound of a fake brt fart

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

one of the fun things is everyone far and wide is recognizing how absolutely psychopathic drivers have become last 3 years and yet we are still so far from any sort of action and improving alternates that we probably have a decade or more of increasingly worse status quote psychopathy before we just collapse. let’s hope $10gal prices might force improving and building transit and keep peds safer but I doubt it

just increasing hell until collapse

I cannot drive anywhere without seeing some maniac do something murderous in their car and I can't tell if it's because covid-19 causes brain damage, if people are acting out because they can tell everything is unraveling, or a combination of both.

I truly, genuinely hate having to drive anywhere anymore. I've seen people threaten violence over line jumping at the McDonalds drive-through.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 16:16 on May 7, 2022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lol that smog from cars, incredible

Apr 7, 2003

Lastgirl posted:

People were surrounded every day by evidence of how incredibly destructive our way of life was and they did nothing about it. lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lastgirl posted:

Covid 2020 Los Angeles

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Jestery posted:

Did a(nother) community bike ride to try and get 500 m of bikeways finished off.

End goal being to connect two major bikeways , and bisect my city with a bikeway whilst generally following the major public transport routes , creating a micro-mobility/cycle highway

Imagine being against being able to ride 40km north to south and not having risk of being hit by a car because of "potential impacts to the way you use [X] street" with no actual named grievance

sorry, what if instead we put up a couple of (green and blue almost invisible hahaha) signs and Widened Roads so that the brodozers can more confidently go 80 in a 45 along existing highways

what? new paths and bikeways? sorry Governor Cuomo can’t hear you over the sound of his money shower

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

found this pic i took last summer. also the headrests had a camo print on them

Only registered members can see post attachments!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Saw someone in an imported F-150 and lol those things are loving huge. I doubt it could even get through the town centre it was so big

Apr 7, 2003

distortion park posted:

Saw someone in an imported F-150 and lol those things are loving huge. I doubt it could even get through the town centre it was so big

The F-150 and Dodge Ram, by themselves, have caused pedestrian crash death rates to go up since 2010. Turns out that getting hit by a car as tall as you are is bad.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I cannot drive anywhere without seeing some maniac do something murderous in their car and I can't tell if it's because covid-19 causes brain damage, if people are acting out because they can tell everything is unraveling, or a combination of both.

I truly, genuinely hate having to drive anywhere anymore. I've seen people threaten violence over line jumping at the McDonalds drive-through.

iasip has a podcast. this episode has multi-millionaire celebrity rob telling the story of getting out of his vehicle with his kids inside to confront an in-n-out drive thru line cutter lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se5scESKZqE

Kicked Throat has issued a correction as of 18:00 on May 7, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Opening with the story of Rob parking shittily in their spots intentionally as a gag is interesting, I was driving home once and imagined that somebody parked in my spot in my apartment's underground, and just the idea of it made me absolutely furious. This completely imagined scenario which did not and has never happened, and which would barely have inconvenienced me, still managed to make me extremely angry. And I'm a pretty easy going person by nature.

The moral of the story is that cars turn people into monsters.

Apr 7, 2003

Kicked Throat posted:

iasip has a podcast. this episode has multi-millionaire celebrity rob telling the story of getting out of his vehicle with his kids inside to confront an in-n-out drive thru line cutter lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se5scESKZqE

Yeah, this poo poo is why someone’s gonna get shot in a drive through and I don’t want to be there when it happens.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yeah, this poo poo is why someone’s gonna get shot in a drive through and I don’t want to be there when it happens.

Don't use the drive-thru, problem solved.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

maybe its because this is the first nice weekend in 8 months in Minnesota but the highways were crazy today. numerous crashes which caused so much traffic during which I saw multiple cars go full speed and slam on the breaks (which is probably what caused the crashes in the first place)

its a jungle out there. maybe everyone does have covid brain

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

mistermojo posted:

maybe its because this is the first nice weekend in 8 months in Minnesota but the highways were crazy today. numerous crashes which caused so much traffic during which I saw multiple cars go full speed and slam on the breaks (which is probably what caused the crashes in the first place)

its a jungle out there. maybe everyone does have covid brain

great. I have a 350 mile drive tomorrow to Illinois. Guess I'll leave at 7 AM to beat most of the craziness.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

yep. even just the thought of going out 15 minute is like ugh. everyone else is feeling it too and changing jobs over it when they can.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I have the shortest commute of my life, outside of my time working in Europe. It is 10 minutes/2 miles one way and if I encounter other cars, there will be some fuckery about. People riding my rear end even though I have my turn signal on and there is another lane next to us, not yielding before entering a roundabout, veering into my lane while picking up their phone, etc. I only drive when it's very cold here in MN, otherwise I bike on the trails that I'm very grateful to have at my disposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/ericmcclurebk/status/1522996200789745666?s=21&t=j16rXGeMjzYTLu3kzpeQ_w

This is a 4 mile distance or about 7 stops on a single subway line.