Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Clouseau posted:

Are the classic episodes on the site a little extra low res? They're at 540p at maximum (at least the couple I peeked at) and I know these were videotaped shows using not particularly great prints of the movie, but it looks a bit groady compared to my DVDs.

DVDs would be 480p really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

The live tour cast owns. Seeing Kelsey cry tears of joy when Emily talked about how she couldn't believe it was all real ftw. And all respect to Jonah but Emily can do the quiet, understated riffs better, which is something I think all of the non-Mike seasons lacked until now.

I think Emily is better than Jonah. Not that Jonah is bad, but Emily just has it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

I think Emily is better than Jonah. Not that Jonah is bad, but Emily just has it.

Out of curiosity, did Emily have a career of sorts before MST3K? I know Jonah was a YouTuber and Joel and (I think) Mike used to do standup in addition to the latter being a writer on the show practically since the beginning

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She has some kind of history with puppeteering as she worked on the puppet episode of Doom Patrol.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, did Emily have a career of sorts before MST3K? I know Jonah was a YouTuber and Joel and (I think) Mike used to do standup in addition to the latter being a writer on the show practically since the beginning

Jonah was mostly known as a podcaster (god, remember Nerdist?) and a standup comedian. Meltdown was a real formative show for 2000s LA comedians and that was his and Kumail’s show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lumbermouth posted:

Jonah was mostly known as a podcaster (god, remember Nerdist?) and a standup comedian. Meltdown was a real formative show for 2000s LA comedians and that was his and Kumail’s show.

Ah right, that was it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah. Jonah is good, he makes me laugh, I like the Netflix seasons, but if you asked me to pick one host for a theoretical season 14...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I've had the following running through my brain all week:

Mother-Crabber, [incoherent mother-crabbing] :dance:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Joel was a prop comic and got on Carson (which I think was his only professional goal) and an episode of SNL. somebody offered him a sitcom but it didn't sound appealing

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

Joel was a prop comic and got on Carson (which I think was his only professional goal) and an episode of SNL. somebody offered him a sitcom but it didn't sound appealing

Depending on the source, he either just auditioned for or actually won the part that became Woody on Cheers. So in another universe Joel could have starred in “Natural Born Killers.”

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

He was offered the part on a sitcom called High School USA but became disillusioned with Hollywood when he turned it down saying he didn't think it was very good and they countered with more money. It was something like he didn't like that they thought they could just buy him off and so he left town.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

muscles like this! posted:

He was offered the part on a sitcom called High School USA but became disillusioned with Hollywood when he turned it down saying he didn't think it was very good and they countered with more money. It was something like he didn't like that they thought they could just buy him off and so he left town.

And you can watch Bridget and Mary Jo riff the pilot here!

https://www.rifftrax.com/high-school-usa

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
this is all excellent information that I did not know and I'm watching that ASAP

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is anyone else watching the premiere today at 5?

Do I just sit on this link around when it's supposed to start?

https://www.gizmoplex.com/packages/gizmoplex-3-month-pass/videos/premiere-1301-santo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lumbermouth posted:

And you can watch Bridget and Mary Jo riff the pilot here!

https://www.rifftrax.com/high-school-usa

Although the series version doesn't have any of those actors

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

Is anyone else watching the premiere today at 5?

Do I just sit on this link around when it's supposed to start?

https://www.gizmoplex.com/packages/gizmoplex-3-month-pass/videos/premiere-1301-santo

It will eventually start a stream, the preview ones were usually 20 minutes before showtime.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Empty Sandwich posted:

He never got on Carson, but he was on Letterman and SNL four times each.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Yeah I'll take a peek at the actual season release. Get those numbers up.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I like the change from Gypsy to GPC

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I really need to look poo poo up before I type it.

meanwhile very much enjoying this cleaned-up version

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

I also have always heard Weird Al wanted him for the part of Philo in UHF but Joel was busy on some puppet show or other.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm watching a rerun of the "The Days of Our Years" short and had kind of an interesting realization.

I work in infrastructure and environmental protection (specifically, underground utilities), and the message from this 1955 PSA is fundamentally the exact same message STILL being repeated when it comes to horrific accidents used as examples for safety standards or negligence thereof.

I actually just today got back from a typical industry conference, where inevitably there will be a keynote speaker who was almost killed/permanently disfigured by a gas or buried powerline accident, and was jarred to hear so many of the same themes in a 70-year-old Union Pacific safety video.

Even the exact same verbiage is used ("it only took one second," "he'd done this a thousand times before," "it would be okay just this time," "he can never take back that moment," "if he had only just...," )

as in stories by Cliff Meidl (a former olympian who jackhammered into an unmarked power line, fell into the hole, was pinned down by the jackhammer, and electrocuted to the point where his knees literally exploded)

or Brandon Schroeder (a journeyman electrican who was taught that OSHA requirements were flexible and was in a hurry for a project and skipped getting the right protective gear while restarting an electrical main, and accidentally dropped a live cable into a circuit box, causing an arc flash explosion that destroyed his hand, burned more than 60% of his body, and blinded his coworker).

I just thought it was really fascinating how the cheesy scare video point is exactly the same as presentations today because we are horribly habitually lazy and negligent in the construction industry.

edit: I'm a moron for making a semi-heavy seriouspost on the night of the public Gizmoplex premiere! Oh well

Hazo fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 7, 2022

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Splint Chesthair posted:

Depending on the source, he either just auditioned for or actually won the part that became Woody on Cheers. So in another universe Joel could have starred in “Natural Born Killers.”

Imagine Joel getting popped by Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I Am Fowl posted:

Imagine Joel getting popped by Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men.

Or guiding Han Solo on his path of smuggling!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Hazo posted:

I'm watching a rerun of the "The Days of Our Years" short and had kind of an interesting realization.

I work in infrastructure and environmental protection (specifically, underground utilities), and the message from this 1955 PSA is fundamentally the exact same message STILL being repeated when it comes to horrific accidents used as examples for safety standards or negligence thereof.

I actually just today got back from a typical industry conference, where inevitably there will be a keynote speaker who was almost killed/permanently disfigured by a gas or buried powerline accident, and was jarred to hear so many of the same themes in a 70-year-old Union Pacific safety video.

Even the exact same verbiage is used ("it only took one second," "he'd done this a thousand times before," "it would be okay just this time," "he can never take back that moment," "if he had only just...," )

as in stories by Cliff Meidl (a former olympian who jackhammered into an unmarked power line, fell into the hole, was pinned down by the jackhammer, and electrocuted to the point where his knees literally exploded)

or Brandon Schroeder (a journeyman electrican who was taught that OSHA requirements were flexible and was in a hurry for a project and skipped getting the right protective gear while restarting an electrical main, and accidentally dropped a live cable into a circuit box, causing an arc flash explosion that destroyed his hand, burned more than 60% of his body, and blinded his coworker).

I just thought it was really fascinating how the cheesy scare video point is exactly the same as presentations today because we are horribly habitually lazy and negligent in the construction industry.

But did they have anything on the creepy reverend who watched people feel good? :v:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Joel is somehow the less weird True Detective

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sydney Bottocks posted:

But did they have anything on the creepy reverend who watched people feel good? :v:

Nobody has yet mentioned seeking help from an omniscient pastor who takes pride in overseeing and judging what can only be described as an all-white rural bumfuck railroad town.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This beepy intermission music is equal parts catchy and irritating.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hazo posted:

edit: I'm a moron for making a semi-heavy seriouspost on the night of the public Gizmoplex premiere! Oh well
Well, I've always heard that accidents are most likely to happen at or near the home, because that's where we feel the most safe and secure and aren't thinking about threats. It'd make sense that the workplace is, if not number two, at least in the top five.

The same sort of messaging turns up in Rifftrax classic "Shake Hands With Danger."

(guitar riff)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This beepy intermission music is equal parts catchy and irritating.

I hate it so much lol.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Did anyone catch that freeze frame? :eyes:

Also yay, credits!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Here's a list of the locations of the new sketches in the Vault picks:

Some reddit guy posted:

Each video definitely has 1 new sketch.
--
GizmoBlip locations:
BotE: 42m17s
Gamera: 30m43s
Killer Shrews: 1h24m12s
King Dinosaur: 1h18m23s
Pod People: 48m21s
Werewolf: 1h06m57s

Reminder, there are also the Synthia Selects intro / outros.

Happy watching.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I want to play billiards with Felicia Day.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
What... What did Matt McGinnis mean when he said "Well that sure is some strange fruit," to Jonah Heston talking about fretless guitars and Bass???

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 7, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm really hoping Josh Weinstein comes back as Joel's Servo.

confirmed just now!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

confirmed just now!

Neat, do we know anything about Joel’s Crow yet?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love Joel’s utter contempt for the name-reading thing, something he doubtlessly had to sign off on. Also love the split-second judgments the performers are making about what puns are probably too much and what name-based ribbing is probably ok to people who paid hundreds of dollars to have Jonah Ray imply that they have many children.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, they're both pretty good and neither are Joel or Mike level yet, but Emily seems a good bit better than Jonah

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think we should be careful when comparing two hosts of mst3k, lest we awaken the ghosts of ancient usenet flamewars from 1994.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Hazo posted:

I also love the other railroad safety short they did, "Last Clear Chance" which focuses on public safety around railroads. "Can you identify this bucket full of your brother?"