Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
What exactly caused that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The mods said we were annoying.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
GBS was like "UGGGH why are people not shitposting or copy-pasting news!" and so the tribes were split.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah gently caress GIBBIS

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cornwind Evil posted:

Some time ago, someone did a thread called 'Every Comic Ever Roulette', where people would review comics based on a random number roll. I asked to only get rolls for the worst comics, and I 'lucked out' I got the bottom of the list, then and now, which was Identity Crisis. So I wrote a very in depth review of all the comic's issues, if I may toot my own horn, including the many many issues of the murder mystery, the real reasons I feel it was structured the way it did, why it failed anyway, and why it was super extra insulting on top of that.

Here, if anyone new cares.

TL:DR: I feel like the murder mystery was written under the assumption that the way it was portioned out over seven months, fans would overanalyze everything and figure out the mystery within two issues, so they basically wrote it solely to keep people from guessing the twist, which of course, made the twist make absolutely no sense at all. Also, the motivation was basically the worst version of :biotruths:

You got a Chuck Austen X-Men story AND Kick-rear end, too? You poor goon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

loving lol, I remember that thread. I got the pizza dog issue from Fraction's Hawkeye.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

loving lol, I remember that thread. I got the pizza dog issue from Fraction's Hawkeye.

That was a fun thread, people had some really great little essays.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kingtheninja posted:

Those avatars were probably my favorite gimmick here, next to the hand puppet ones.

Weird I haven't seen any of those

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I was posting on the DC comics message boards during Identity Crisis and I don’t think anyone guessed Jean Loring. I think most people suspected Bolt.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember getting the trade for IC and thinking it sucked big time. I gave it to my buddy had a small passing interest in comic books and hadn't really read any since he was a kid and he thought it was great so through these anecdote I thought maybe IC is good for people who don't care about comic book characters. Or plot. Or storylines that make sense.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Been reading X-Men crossovers with some friends during COVID and we're talking about doing DC crossovers, next. Y'all are making me excited to start!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Been reading X-Men crossovers with some friends during COVID and we're talking about doing DC crossovers, next. Y'all are making me excited to start!

:filez: is probably the only way to get it without paying an arm and a leg, but JLA/Avengers is really fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

For a follow up you should have done that Paul Jenkins Inhumans issue from Lockjaw's perspective called 'Woof.'

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

GBS was like "UGGGH why are people not shitposting or copy-pasting news!" and so the tribes were split.

No, those were the halcyon days of mspaint threads and bigpeeler

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Do modern-ish Hulk comics ever mention that Hulk has kids or have Skaar and the other one been forgotten like so many things in comics

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skaar appeared in the Gamme Flight spin-off of Immortal Hulk last year.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endless Mike posted:

Skaar appeared in the Gamme Flight spin-off of Immortal Hulk last year.

Neat! Was it good?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Not as good as Immortal Hulk but it's a decent 5 issue run, just fills in a few blanks from Immortal

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Dawgstar posted:

To be fair, I asked for rolls at the very bottom, so it's on me. My last roll was 'fair' and gave him something in the top ranks; as it turns out, if a comic is good, there's not a lot to say about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

Do modern-ish Hulk comics ever mention that Hulk has kids or have Skaar and the other one been forgotten like so many things in comics

Apparently Lyra left 616 and is hanging out with her mom on Weirdworld.

Cornwind Evil posted:

To be fair, I asked for rolls at the very bottom, so it's on me. My last roll was 'fair' and gave him something in the top ranks; as it turns out, if a comic is good, there's not a lot to say about it.

At least it was only a two-parter. You could have gotten She Lies With Angels. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Edge & Christian posted:

Something horrible has happened to our webhosting but here is the post I think you are referring to? From BSS post to blog post to BSS post again.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Outside of his stuff in the Hickman Avengers comics, are there any Dr. Strange stories that you could say Multiverse of Madness takes inspiration from? Not Scarlet Witch or Miss America. Just Dr. Strange.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Would be appreciated if it's spoiler tagged though, since the pandemic and whatnot, and the movie isn't streaming yet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
My knowledge of Dr. Strange stories is far from comprehensive but I feel like there has to be some stories about Strange either using or fighting users of the Darkhold

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Scaramouche posted:

Weird I haven't seen any of those

Weird, neither have I

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

TwoPair posted:

My knowledge of Dr. Strange stories is far from comprehensive but I feel like there has to be some stories about Strange either using or fighting users of the Darkhold

With Strange as the primary focus, at the very least there was a stretch in the late '80s where he was trying to keep it out of Dracula's hands. It's kind of a shame the Darkhold apparently won't be a factor in the Blade movie

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently Lyra left 616 and is hanging out with her mom on Weirdworld.

At least it was only a two-parter. You could have gotten She Lies With Angels. :v:

I'd have done both instead of The Draco if offered the choice.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Got a bunch of emails from substacks about their FCBD and just realized that some of the writers that moved to substack are already making comics.

Has anyone read their work? I can’t see any discussion at all about substack comics anywhere

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Did anyone ever find out why the same 2 guys show up in all dc and marvel kids books? My son left a copy of his book out and they’re in all 8 stories with different art, sometimes cops, or henchmen, or victims of crime.

This has been buggin me too, was andy khouri a forum member at one point or am I getting him mixed up with someone else? This forum kinda felt like it served as comics alliance’s forum too so I’m probably thinking of Doogz or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Andy was not. It'd probably d00gz.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I'm looking for a comic that my grandparents got me in the late 90s. All I can remember is that it took place in space, and the main character (maybe the only character?) was slowly being consumed and covered by these purple warts/scales that were definitely some kind of disease/virus. Any ideas?

Edit: I'm pretty sure the last panel was either him being entirely covered and dying, or maybe his hand breaking out of the mass of purple warts he had become

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

In Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Earth-838 Christine says Stephen is from a universe they're calling 616. But that's the comic designation isn't it? Have they changed it to a different one?

bessantj fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 18, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

In Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Earth-838 Christine says Stephen is from a universe they're calling 616. But that's the comic designation isn't it? Have they changed it to a different one?

They haven't, and that pissed me off too. Especially since there was already an established designation for the MCU (I don't remember what it was).

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

They haven't, and that pissed me off too. Especially since there was already an established designation for the MCU (I don't remember what it was).

I had a quick look and it's Earth-199999. It really confuses things now you have two universes with the same number. Still could be worse she could have said Earth-1610! :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

I had a quick look and it's Earth-199999. It really confuses things now you have two universes with the same number. Still could be worse she could have said Earth-1610! :v:

I mean, nothing is ever gonna happen in the comics that has a direct effect on the movies, and if they do tie-ins with the supposed movie universe in the comics most future directors probably won't even be aware of it and if they are they almost certainly won't let it affect what they're doing with the movies. So it's not really a big deal.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I was thinking more for the comic readers, you are right that people who only watch the movies won't care at all and it's not the biggest issue ever. Is Stark still alive in the comics?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

I was thinking more for the comic readers, you are right that people who only watch the movies won't care at all and it's not the biggest issue ever. Is Stark still alive in the comics?

Yeah, unless something happened in the last couple months. He has an ongoing. He was dead or missing for a bit (I wasn't reading at the time, so I don't know which) but that was a few years before Endgame, and he was better before Infinity War.

The comics and movies really don't mirror each other at all. The movies mine a lot of stuff from the comics, but they change a poo poo ton to the point that watching the movie version or reading the comic version doesn't really spoil the other one. And occasionally stuff happens in the comics so things will kinda look similar to the movies, but no where near as much as people who like to be angry about it on the internet claim they do.

There is literally no Marvel movie that follows a comic storyline close enough that I would think reading the comic before the movie or seeing the movie before reading the comic would be major spoilers for the other.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 18, 2022

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

bessantj posted:

man, that number is way too high to rattle off in a movie, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Mysterio claimed his universe called the MCU 616.