Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

IWM Duxford in the UK is fantastic, I was there about 20 years ago and they had a whole building built around a B-52 and also had an SR-71.

Went there last fall, I was practically :aaaaa: the entire time . And as someone who loves the poo poo out of Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy museum (I go roughly twice a year), Duxford was like 100x cooler and had a ton more poo poo. The land warfare museum was pretty cool too.

Bonus, they have Spitfires and Mustang's flying around too, which was awesome as gently caress to see and hear up close. Like I didn't even realize it was a thing till I heard the Rolls Royce engines and proceeded to :gizz: watching two of them fly over my head at like 300 feet.

You can pay for a ride in them as well (they are trainer models) but it's incredibly expensive. I hope to do it one day but I've got some saving to do for it.

Burt posted:

Too many things to mention at Duxford that are just brilliant but the ability to just wander into the workshops where they are actually rebuilding Merlins to put into the Spitfire right next to it never gets old.

The USA hall let's you get right up to the planes, you can actually get up into the bomb bay of the B17 in a little Perspex bubble to look inside and there's also there's a sign saying "Do Not Touch" next to the Blackbird and that wing edge is just polished with how many hands have run along it.

That was the one thing I kinda loved about it. The Smithsonian is super "Don't touch, don't even loving think about it. In fact, stay five feet back just in case", whereas there were several moments walking around Duxford it felt like "okay, you can touch. Just this once."

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Jimmy Smuts posted:

just another boring F-15

Rude.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Gaius Marius posted:

Vin Diesel owns. XXX is a great movie

Escape from Butcher Bay was a much better game than it should have been. Not at all a must play but worth the time.

Museum of Flight near Seattle is also a good place for airplanes. They had a spectacular Apollo 11 exhibit a few years ago including the command module and Neil Armstrong’s suit. They also have the shells from the bullets used to slay Captain Phillips’ captors for some reason.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Museum of Flight near Seattle is also a good place for airplanes. They had a spectacular Apollo 11 exhibit a few years ago including the command module and Neil Armstrong’s suit. They also have the shells from the bullets used to slay Captain Phillips’ captors for some reason.

Oh man, Museum of Flight is great. I remember doing the Mission to Space simulation together with my school group. It was super immersive.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm OK with this being Ukraine but also general chat thread

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Or should that be General chat thread :v:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We call it general chat then it's liable to be taken out by Ukraine

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:thejoke:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Went there last fall, I was practically :aaaaa: the entire time . And as someone who loves the poo poo out of Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy museum (I go roughly twice a year), Duxford was like 100x cooler and had a ton more poo poo. The land warfare museum was pretty cool too.

Bonus, they have Spitfires and Mustang's flying around too, which was awesome as gently caress to see and hear up close. Like I didn't even realize it was a thing till I heard the Rolls Royce engines and proceeded to :gizz: watching two of them fly over my head at like 300 feet.

You can pay for a ride in them as well (they are trainer models) but it's incredibly expensive. I hope to do it one day but I've got some saving to do for it.

That was the one thing I kinda loved about it. The Smithsonian is super "Don't touch, don't even loving think about it. In fact, stay five feet back just in case", whereas there were several moments walking around Duxford it felt like "okay, you can touch. Just this once."

Maybe 2011 was a different time for Udvar-Hazy, maybe no one was paying attention to the "boring civil aircraft", all I know is when I put my tongue on 367-80 it tasted like The Future and also wet dog

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Gaius Marius posted:

Oof

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

shame on an IGA posted:

Maybe 2011 was a different time for Udvar-Hazy, maybe no one was paying attention to the "boring civil aircraft", all I know is when I put my tongue on 367-80 it tasted like The Future and also wet dog

:lol:

Also pro-tip with that place. It's open year round except for Christmas Day and New Years. If you happen to be in the area on Thanksgiving, it owns because you pretty much have free run of the place.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheWeedNumber posted:

If you beat Bravo Romeo Delta does the Air Force recruit you automatically? Heard that poo poo is unbeatable.

Koej (Cold War thread poster did) and I saw a post YouTube by another who did. Basically keeping escalation managed and take out the enemy comms.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Gaius Marius posted:

:boom:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Gaius Marius posted:

:fireman:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
New Video from VICE News The Next Phase Of Russia’s War In Ukraine

A lot of :nms: images, but incredibly well-made.

https://youtu.be/IvNc9yDox8U

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Eason the Fifth posted:

My old man was air force and grew up around Wright Patt and took me there pretty much annually or more for about 20 years. I bought a plaque for him on the wall there after he died. It's a fantastic place and I just want to echo the statements here that it's worth the trip.
I grew up not far from Dayton and got taken there on field trips. The two bits that made me shiver were the story of a WWII plane crash in the desert where the crew survived several days and tried to walk out. Didn't work. The other one was a little mouse guillotine (for mice, not of mice) built by some bored POWs.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

is there we chat about ukraine, generally?

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TStvtOgp4ow

This looks to be a debrief of a Russian VDV soldier captured after their air assault at the start of the war.

Essentially the soldiers were told they were going on a training exercise to Belarus, landed there, did a bunch of training, got on a helicopter to do more training and then while airborne got told 'we're taking over Ukraine, we're going to link up with our heavy equipment Real Soon Now(tm)'. Assault didn't go quite as expected, they sat in and around the airport for a couple of days with no direction, no orders and no clue, Ukrainians kept artillerying their locations, the Russians decided to bug out (without any plan being communicated to this soldier and others). Pnomarov Nikita Nikoayevich then ended up in a vehicle that got stuck due to bad driving, wandered around for a bit and then woke up with guns being pointed at him.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Kith posted:

is there we chat about ukraine, generally?

is here we talk about Ukraine, generally.

Except when there's a derail and Cyrano derails it more to explain how much derailing is acceptable.

Generally.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
A whole bunch of twitter and youtube links:

Youtube video with examples on how old and outdated manual procedures and operator fatigue due to bad anti-air computer displays probably contributed significantly to the sinking of the Moskva: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaiVjJWOUWE

Tweet with images of a used Switchblade recovered by Russian forces in Kharkiv Oblast: https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1522549331382915074
Tweet with a used motor section of a Brimestone 1 (manufactured September 2001) found by Russian forces: https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1522587116747862017

US M777 155mm howitzer either in training use or battlefield use by Ukrainians: https://twitter.com/glosmeusec/status/1522204905662001160
M777 active-jet ammunition (approx 40km range) in Ukrainian hands: https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1522161684634214400

US Air Force RQ-4B Global Hawk flying around unconcerned in the Black Sea: https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1522517385198153729
Multiple western and european countries flying intelligence missions in and around the Black Sea - everyone is welcome! https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1522583171656736768

Dead T90M found: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ocid=uxbndlbing

Literal PedoBear used by Russian Spetnaz as a unit badge: https://mobile.twitter.com/RALee85/status/1518730456635748354

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

madeintaipei posted:

is here we talk about Ukraine, generally.

Except when there's a derail and Cyrano derails it more to explain how much derailing is acceptable.

Generally.

Given how much sabotage has been going on, you'd think that derailment chat would be considered to be generally on track.

Kith fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 7, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I grew up not far from Dayton and got taken there on field trips. The two bits that made me shiver were the story of a WWII plane crash in the desert where the crew survived several days and tried to walk out. Didn't work. The other one was a little mouse guillotine (for mice, not of mice) built by some bored POWs.

Their Berlin Airlift section was a pleasure. I think in the way of shiver stories, the unlucky Doolittle raiders getting executed is the one that sticks with me.

WP was also the first place i saw OIF I stuff in a museum and it was the actual first time I felt like the old-school dad/grandpa vets

Gaius Marius posted:

:discourse:

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 7, 2022

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

quote:

Further east… I must admit, I’m not sure any more who is holding what in between, say, Krymky, Shandryholove (both of which should still be under Ukrainian control, even if under Russian assault), Lyman and Kremina: one report is contradicting the other. ‘Problem’: the Russians are said to have constructed a pontoon bridge over the Siversky Donets somewhere in the Kremina area. No idea where, but: if they have constructed a pontoon bridge, then they have a bridgehead south of the river; and, if they have a bridgehead and a pontoon bridge, then there is their new Schwerpunkt, i.e. this is a major operation — because any river crossing is ‘automatically’ a major operation for any Russian military commander. Sure, the Ukrainians report to have caused massive losses — including something like 15–16 tanks each on 5 and 6 May — but we’ve seen how such situations ‘with RFA and pontoon bridges’ end, about a month ago, south of Izium: back then, this meant the Russians have breached the frontline, even if one of Ukrainian counterattacks went all the way to their two pontoon bridges, holding them up for 2–3 days…

What I am sure is that the RFA and Separatists have launched a vicious new assault on Vojevodivka, in between Rubizhne (southern side of which is still under Ukrainian control) and Severodonetsk. The Ukrainians claim to have repelled this, but ‘that itch in the small finger’ tells me the situation is much more critical than they would like to admit, i.e. that the Russians have actually reached the northern side of Severodonetsk/Sievierodonetsk (if for no other means, then because this means heavy losses for the 111th Brigade defending the town).

https://medium.com/@x_TomCooper_x

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Pikehead posted:

Literal PedoBear used by Russian Spetnaz as a unit badge: https://mobile.twitter.com/RALee85/status/1518730456635748354

Ignoring the patch, why would your theoretically best trained troops doing urban patrols? Shouldn’t they be doing deep recon and spotting high value targets for strikes?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Murgos posted:

Ignoring the patch, why would your theoretically best trained troops doing urban patrols? Shouldn’t they be doing deep recon and spotting high value targets for strikes?

Apparently Russia is so short on manpower they have to use even their best troops for missions they aren't suited for, like using Spetnaz for infantry combat.

Edit: Here is the google translated quote from a Finnish general:

Special forces are better equipped for tactical combat. But the Russians do not have special forces that are specifically trained for urban combat, Toveri says. - Because Russia does not have high-quality infantry - it was seen in Chechnya - the Russian original sin is to use Spetsnaz special forces in battles like infantry. - That's stupid. Training a special forces soldier is expensive and there are few of them. Killing them in infantry combat is futile. But it is done when there is no better

https://www.is.fi/ulkomaat/art-2000008799377.html

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 7, 2022

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

Same reason that the Australian SAS was sent on repeated tours in doing the same thing in Afghanistan - political expediency. Only difference is that there's a chance that any war crimes committed by the SAS might be bought to light and punished.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Pikehead posted:

This looks to be a debrief of a Russian VDV soldier captured after their air assault at the start of the war.

Essentially the soldiers were told they were going on a training exercise to Belarus, landed there, did a bunch of training, got on a helicopter to do more training and then while airborne got told 'we're taking over Ukraine, we're going to link up with our heavy equipment Real Soon Now(tm)'. Assault didn't go quite as expected, they sat in and around the airport for a couple of days with no direction, no orders and no clue, Ukrainians kept artillerying their locations, the Russians decided to bug out (without any plan being communicated to this soldier and others). Pnomarov Nikita Nikoayevich then ended up in a vehicle that got stuck due to bad driving, wandered around for a bit and then woke up with guns being pointed at him.

I don't think we can really turst these coerced videos. The video starts with the interrogator making the Soldier reveal his full name and his HOME ADDRESS back in Russia. Later the interrogator catches on that the soldier has said a few times that there are lots of good, Russian-speaking, Slavic people in Ukraine, and the interrogator gets pissed and starts lecturing on how it's not only the Russian-speaking people who are good, etc.

A video of a captured soldier being made to reveal his full name and home address, reading a prepared statement, and having words put in his mouth by the captor is pretty hosed up. I know people don't support Russia, but it's just poo poo behavior and is exactly the kind of video that would be illegal for the US military to produce and distribute under US Code unless someone got some John Yoo level legal gymnastics to justify it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pikehead posted:

Same reason that the Australian SAS was sent on repeated tours in doing the same thing in Afghanistan - political expediency. Only difference is that there's a chance that any war crimes committed by the SAS might be bought to light and punished.

The real difference is that war crimes committed by Australian SAS are incidental and unintended and presented to the soldiers as detrimental to the objective. Russian war crimes are one of the tools used to achieve strategic objectives.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

The real difference is that war crimes committed by Australian SAS are incidental and unintended and presented to the soldiers as detrimental to the objective.

Are you loving kidding me?

quote:

For more than four years, the Maj Gen Justice Paul Brereton has investigated allegations that a small group within the elite Special Air Services and commandos regiments killed and brutalised Afghan civilians, in some cases allegedly slitting throats, gloating about their actions, keeping kill counts, and photographing bodies with planted phones and weapons to justify their actions.

The findings of Brereton’s report, released on Thursday, are confronting and damning.

Brereton describes the special forces’ actions as “disgraceful and a profound betrayal” of the Australian Defence Force.

The report found:

Special forces were responsible for dozens of unlawful killings, the vast majority of which involved prisoners, and were deliberately covered up.
Thirty-nine Afghans were unlawfully killed in 23 incidents, either by special forces or at the instruction of special forces.
None of the killings took place in the heat of battle, and they all occurred in circumstances which, if accepted by a jury, would constitute the war crime of murder.
All the victims were either non-combatants or were no longer combatants.
A total of 25 perpetrators have been identified either as principals or accessories. Some are still serving in the ADF.
In all cases, the report finds it “was or should have been plain that the person killed was a non-combatant”. The vast majority of victims had been captured and were under control, giving them the protection under international law.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

What do you think I just said? I'd really like to see what you think I just said, because I think you think I think that Australians like to murder people in the most horrible ways possible. That the Australian military has institutionalized brutality, and its members are indoctrinated at the institutional level to commit them.

Did I say that the war crimes were not committed? No, I think I said no such thing. What I think I said is that the difference between what the Aus SAS did was that it was not a part of the program, whereas with the Russian military "the cruelty is the point".

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

What do you think I just said? I'd really like to see what you think I just said, because I think you think I think that Australians like to murder people in the most horrible ways possible. The the Australian military has institutionalized brutality, and its members are indoctrinated at the institutional level to commit them.

Did you forget a word here, then?

A.o.D. posted:

The real difference is that war crimes committed by Australian SAS are incidental and unintended

Dude, if one SAS guy goes wild and commits a crime, that's incidental and unintended. If entire SAS groups are out there doing it as a matter of course, that's a systematic loving problem, not "incidental and unintended"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Of course the dipshits that did the crimes meant to do it. I think I see where the confusion is coming from. The SAS got a bad case of SEALitis.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Madurai posted:

Regardless of the provenance of the clip, that noise (and the little splashes in the water near the ship) could very well be a small autocannon of some sort, even if it doesn't have the distinctive chainsaw noise of the Vulcan.

example: https://twitter.com/annquann/status/1215503533044191233?lang=en

Autocannon with a .22 maybe. I assure you that if you have ever been within 10 feet of a CIWS when it is being fired, that will stick with you until the end days.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mlmp08 posted:

Did you forget a word here, then?

Dude, if one SAS guy goes wild and commits a crime, that's incidental and unintended. If entire SAS groups are out there doing it as a matter of course, that's a systematic loving problem, not "incidental and unintended"

Bet you have enlightened views about incarceration rates...

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

I don't think we can really turst these coerced videos. The video starts with the interrogator making the Soldier reveal his full name and his HOME ADDRESS back in Russia. Later the interrogator catches on that the soldier has said a few times that there are lots of good, Russian-speaking, Slavic people in Ukraine, and the interrogator gets pissed and starts lecturing on how it's not only the Russian-speaking people who are good, etc.

A video of a captured soldier being made to reveal his full name and home address, reading a prepared statement, and having words put in his mouth by the captor is pretty hosed up. I know people don't support Russia, but it's just poo poo behavior and is exactly the kind of video that would be illegal for the US military to produce and distribute under US Code unless someone got some John Yoo level legal gymnastics to justify it.

I've seen several videos by now of that guy interviewing Russian POWs. Maybe I'm just not picking up on the obvious clues indicating that they're reading off prepared statements under duress with an AK pointed at their heads, but they seem like pretty calm and cordial affairs for the most part?

Pretty sure the reason why they're being made to say their name and home address is because they upload the videos to Vkontakte (the Russian facebook clone). I guess there's the obvious propaganda angle of doing that, but it also serves as confirmation for friends + family that they've been captured since the Russian military usually won't say poo poo about the status of their soldiers until they return home in zinc coffins.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 7, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I've seen several videos by now of that guy interviewing Russian POWs. Maybe I'm just not picking up on the obvious clues indicating that they're reading off prepared statements under duress with an AK pointed at their heads, but they seem like pretty calm and cordial affairs for the most part?

In the one in this thread, the interrogator explicitly mentions that the soldier is reading a prepared statement. And it gets tense when the interrogator catches on that the soldier has repeatedly said Slavic, Russian-speaking Ukrainians are fine people but has been quiet about the rest of the Ukrainians.

As for making the soldiers doxx themselves with their full name and home address on camera and then published worldwide, I think that's bad. Part of that is just that it would be a breech of US law for the US military to make and release such a video.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I was trained that POWs still have to provide name and identification numbers to captors; I consider the preamble of the videos to be analogous, especially for conscripts who may not have been given a proper ID.

Not a fan of them being told to provide comments or narrative, but what can you do? If the guys answer the questions that's on them.

It may also be some fifth column kind of thing to prevent real war crime tribunals. "Oh they were coerced! See the video violate convention!"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

I was trained that POWs still have to provide name and identification numbers to captors;

My name is not my home address, nor is it part of ID numbers.

Wasabi the J posted:

Not a fan of them being told to provide comments or narrative, but what can you do? If the guys answer the questions that's on them.

Maybe, just maybe, the Ukrainians only air the videos where people are effectively coerced into answering the questions and don't film the dozens of guys who tell the interrogators to gently caress off. There's no "casual conversation" to be had with a captor like that. It is an inherently coercive situation.

I do not like them. I think they are of poo poo value as far as narrative reliability, they very clearly would violate US Code, and I think they make a prisoner an object of public curiosity when you release their full name and home address to the world in front of an interrogation video.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Bet you have enlightened views about incarceration rates...

Where the gently caress are you coming from with this?

He was calling out SAS for war crimes and the verbiage used when bringing them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

In the one in this thread, the interrogator explicitly mentions that the soldier is reading a prepared statement. And it gets tense when the interrogator catches on that the soldier has repeatedly said Slavic, Russian-speaking Ukrainians are fine people but has been quiet about the rest of the Ukrainians.

As for making the soldiers doxx themselves with their full name and home address on camera and then published worldwide, I think that's bad. Part of that is just that it would be a breech of US law for the US military to make and release such a video.

Although I see your point and if you have faith that people won’t be disappeared that’s a sensible policy. However, having a global record that X is a Russian soldier in captivity by Y and was healthy on date Z is probably better than not for accountability.