Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

It's still an illustrative example, in that Tillman's death and coverup was a pretty big scandal at the time just because jerking around fallen soldiers' families is that bad even if you're heaping extra medals and praise on them--let alone trying to nickel and dime their families out of their already meager compensation. That's what gets me, the sheer pettiness of it all.

But yeah, not really a direct comparison.

I mean, it's illustrative in the opposite direction that the guy intended because it was a huge scandal in the US and wasn't anywhere near as cruelly petty as what Russia is pulling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
It's the sheer contempt towards their own troops that staggers me. How can they honestly expect them to fight effectively if there's a mile long list of examples of the Russian chain of command not giving a single gently caress about them? No wonder there's morale problems.

Is this actually deemed a normal and acceptable way to treat people in Russian culture?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PeterCat posted:

Note that there is no difference in the benefits paid out to Tillman's family if he died in an accident, from enemy fire, or friendly fire.

this. hell they went the opposite extreme, he died a magic super hero against a bazillion Taliban or whatever. its still a bad and hosed up thing, but least his body came home and his family knew he died, the russia moscova thing whole different beast of hosed up. like this dude doesn't even know if his sons alive or dead. and the russian goverment is fine saying whatever different lie to get the family to gently caress off and not have to pay.

Kchama posted:

I mean, it's illustrative in the opposite direction that the guy intended because it was a huge scandal in the US and wasn't anywhere near as cruelly petty as what Russia is pulling.

that too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another fire is (probably)breaking out in Russia, and it's still burning :unsmith:

:ukraine:

It’s not making a dig at the poster, but more of a joke on the fact that’s it’s probably true.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

It's the sheer contempt towards their own troops that staggers me. How can they honestly expect them to fight effectively if there's a mile long list of examples of the Russian chain of command not giving a single gently caress about them? No wonder there's morale problems.

Is this actually deemed a normal and acceptable way to treat people in Russian culture?

because its kinda always been like that. it was awful being a soldier under the tsars and awful under the soviets and its poo poo now. russia never really had that crimea war moment or civil war/Vietnam moment the UK and the US had where they remembered "oh yeah, soldiers are people" and started reforming poo poo. I mean russia has had those moments but the weird inertia corruption poo poo mixed with authoritarian paranoia always kills it. like obviously there are caring officers insider the russian army but most are probably junior officers.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because its kinda always been like that. it was awful being a soldier under the tsars and awful under the soviets and its poo poo now. russia never really had that crimea war moment or civil war/Vietnam moment the UK and the US had where they remembered "oh yeah, soldiers are people" and started reforming poo poo. I mean russia has had those moments but the weird inertia corruption poo poo mixed with authoritarian paranoia always kills it. like obviously there are caring officers insider the russian army but most are probably junior officers.

What happened in the Crimea war and why did the UK change?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

What happened in the Crimea war and why did the UK change?

sorry, should have been more specific, i mean the OG Crimean war in 1850s, basically the UK public realized most off the officers were upper class inbred twist who bought commissions and promotions and it led to mend under them getting slaughtered. the charge of the light brigade is a big example of it. where a bunch of inbred twits hosed around and found out. alot of it was more to do with bad communication techniques and the commandinger general being basicaly mush brained and made head commander because he was the secretary of wellington at waterloo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 7, 2022

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Are we talking about Russia or Amazon here?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Interesting side story that Russia continues to put AA batteries on snake island. Each one gets blown up the another one rolls up.

:nws: possible can't figure out how to link the only tweet for the actual AA fun being blown up not sure what the other 4 videos are.
https://mobile.twitter.com/RebeccaRambar/status/1522530626557165569

I've seen half dozen of similar tweets from other sources over the past couple weeks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Alright gang, let's each list a bad russian thing and then counter with a bad US thing, then counter counter with a bad russian thing. Last country with a bad thing loses.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia lost to the golden horde and opened the gate of Europe up to the Mongolian horse so that's one bad thing op

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Interesting side story that Russia continues to put AA batteries on snake island. Each one gets blown up the another one rolls up.

:nws: possible can't figure out how to link the only tweet for the actual AA fun being blown up not sure what the other 4 videos are.
https://mobile.twitter.com/RebeccaRambar/status/1522530626557165569

I've seen half dozen of similar tweets from other sources over the past couple weeks.

Seems a small hill to die on. I don't get it. I think it was invested by the Ukrainians merely for cartagraphic ownership purposes? I don't understand why it is "strategic" except maybe to Romania.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So how did Ukraine end up with a poo poo load of Donbas war vets while Russia has none? Did Russia just cycle poo poo through the grinder for the last 8 years, or did they already lose their combat vets?

As stated, Russia mostly used local proxies. It's also important to note that Ukraine had 8 years of active conflict to weed out their useless officers/soldiers and flush out any Russian sympathizers. That's a huge deal, since peacetime armies are almost universally garbage bins loaded to the brim with dimwitted parasitic careerist types.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Alright gang, let's each list a bad russian thing and then counter with a bad US thing, then counter counter with a bad russian thing. Last country with a bad thing loses.

televangelism is worth two bads on the US side

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia lost to the golden horde and opened the gate of Europe up to the Mongolian horse so that's one bad thing op

I can double up.

The biggest war dead scandal that ties in a bit with Tillman was that I think there was a report the Rumsfeld had essentially automated the process for sending letters to the family of the deceased soldiers. Essentially, he was no longer reviewing and signing the letters himself and just having them stamped. That led to a kerfuffle and I don’t think he remained at the post too much longer. Not that this incident was the only thing that chased him out. It was disrespectful to the dead, who died in a war that he helped orchestrate, but as noted, didn’t technically result in a denial of benefits to the surviving families.

For bad American activities, give me the Indian Wars from which Sherman comes out of the Civil War as a hero and then goes on to use that same tenacity and cruelty to exterminate our native population and history. :(

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The US also did not manage to stop the Golden horde, hell they didn't even try!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ranbo das posted:

The US also did not manage to stop the Golden horde, hell they didn't even try!

The US wasn't there with us at the battle Kiev 1399

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 7, 2022

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Leave it to the goddamn papists to stoke wait is he talking about Poland?
https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1522685709160697858?cxt=HHwWhMCy8bel1aEqAAAA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

the popes toes posted:

Seems a small hill to die on. I don't get it. I think it was invested by the Ukrainians merely for cartagraphic ownership purposes? I don't understand why it is "strategic" except maybe to Romania.

Sticking a few AA weapons on the island does seem like it's effective as a battery on a sand hill.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Ulf posted:

I haven't tried to correlate the locations, but it seems like the phone vids of Ukrainian air sorties appeared the same day we heard Ukraine was making their first real offensive push (past Kharkiv). So I assumed this is what they've been holding them back for.
I was thinking it might be that, or possibly it was Ukraine re-staging them from the west to closer to the action. If it's the former, that would be really something operating that close to the border (ie, close to AA based inside Russia). Or maybe it's all a distraction and they're just doing an impromptu airshow for Lviv! Hopefully we'll get more hard information soon.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Just a reminder that most of the troops are members of ethnic minorities from the corners of Russia, while most of the officers are true Russian ubermenschen from the heartlands.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So how did Ukraine end up with a poo poo load of Donbas war vets while Russia has none? Did Russia just cycle poo poo through the grinder for the last 8 years, or did they already lose their combat vets?

As mentioned, Russia mainly used their proxies to fight in that conflict. There will be some veteran 'little green men' though.

Ukraine used the conflict essentially as live fire training for their draftees. There was a deliberate effort to rotate as many through the conflict as possible to give them a reserve force of former soldiers who had experience under fire and had worked alongside professional troops.

The proxies by comparison seem to have used a more or less consistent force of troops in the fight so they have a smaller group of veteran troops.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

SmokingFrog0641 posted:

For bad American activities, give me the Indian Wars from which Sherman comes out of the Civil War as a hero and then goes on to use that same tenacity and cruelty to exterminate our native population and history. :(

Yes--of course, at roughly the same time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circassian_genocide

This is dumb.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

the popes toes posted:

Leave it to the goddamn papists to stoke wait is he talking about Poland?
https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1522685709160697858?cxt=HHwWhMCy8bel1aEqAAAA
Dugin on Facebook a few years ago: “We should clean up Ukraine from the idiots, The genocide of these cretins is due and inevitable… I can’t believe these are Ukrainians. Ukrainians are wonderful Slavonic people and this is a race of bastards that emerged from the sewer manholes.

Dugin Now: :qq: Outside forces are stirring up Russophobia!

I really want him to watch his lovely life long idea of a massive Russian empire be a zero possibilty before he dies. Hopefully he is coming to realise that now.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://mobile.twitter.com/OSINT88/status/1522734315599245312

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol Russia lost two loving large naval vessels to Ukraine incouding a "''capital" cruiser what a joke of a Nazi war machine

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

New thread title “ everything is going great, ok?”

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Budzilla posted:

Dugin on Facebook a few years ago: “We should clean up Ukraine from the idiots, The genocide of these cretins is due and inevitable… I can’t believe these are Ukrainians. Ukrainians are wonderful Slavonic people and this is a race of bastards that emerged from the sewer manholes.

Dugin Now: :qq: Outside forces are stirring up Russophobia!

I really want him to watch his lovely life long idea of a massive Russian empire be a zero possibilty before he dies. Hopefully he is coming to realise that now.

I do not hold out hope of Dugin realizing much of anything.

A decade from now he is going to be writing pamphlets about the Chinese-Brazilian partition of Jerusalem, complaining about the price of recycled paper.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

They're throwing a party. Nothing out of the ordinary is occurring, and I will not tolerate insinuating otherwise. Please move on.

Ah but if you could so kindly relay to the party caterers, we need extra burn frosting and about 220 more black ... party bags, then what we originally anticipated. Yes. It has been upgraded to a very large party. Extreme celebration.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Imagine if the Nazis complained about Naziphobia the entire time they were committing atrocities.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Staluigi posted:

They're throwing a party. Nothing out of the ordinary is occurring, and I will not tolerate insinuating otherwise. Please move on.

Ah but if you could so kindly relay to the party caterers, we need extra burn frosting and about 220 more black ... party bags, then what we originally anticipated. Yes. It has been upgraded to a very large party. Extreme celebration.

Black... cargo bags

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If there was a raging fire for long enough to get sentinel 2 imagery is the boat even seaworthy now? Some sections could’ve burned to the waterline.

On another note, I wonder if those autonomous boats can be fitted with brimstones in addition to the .50

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

KitConstantine posted:

And second half:

Aaaaand done. I know probably no one else really cares that much, but I think it's interesting.

I also appreciate your summary, it's very interesting hearing what the ambassadors from different countries are saying.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wildeyes posted:

Imagine if the Nazis complained about Naziphobia the entire time they were committing atrocities.

They did, I'm pretty sure. That was like Goebbels' entire job.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Lack of confirmation on hitting the frigate still making me think it's a rumor yet

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Risky Bisquick posted:

If there was a raging fire for long enough to get sentinel 2 imagery is the boat even seaworthy now? Some sections could’ve burned to the waterline.

While I can only speak to this with marginal authority, russian vessels are piles of poorly maintained jank and despair, running so close to the red line of seaworthiness that you could put one out with a decent galley fire from burning some mac n cheese

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Lack of confirmation on hitting the frigate still making me think it's a rumor yet

*Something* clearly happened.

I think the difference is that last time Russia came out and said that there was a fire on board the ship so there was corroboration with Ukraine's claims of having hit the ship.

This time there's the claim from Ukraine of having launched a missile at a ship but radio silence from Russia. As a result we're left to try and interpret the situation from a bunch of other observations like the Russian rescue vessel turning it's transponders off and NATO surveillance aircraft taking a huge amount of interest in the patch of ocean poo poo is rumoured to have happened.

One thought I had is that if the ship is damaged it's quite likely Russia will try and patch up the obvious signs out of sight of land so it doesn't look to the population of Crimea (and any journalists in the area) like they've had a second major ship taken out of the war.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Naval defenses smoking these ships is astounding. I mean coastal guns combined with a fleet or harbor is one thing but this is insane.

Also I remember Dan carlin talking about the Japanese damage control being very bad and at one point a shop caught fire and they didn't know how to put it out or the damage control team was in a part of the shop that was exploded (don't remember the exact example) . Magazines exposed and kaboom. I wonder if Russia is in the same boat, crews just get wrecked so fast the ensuing panic creates a scenario where no one can actually do anything about the problem and the shop floods. I mean if they are not plugging holes or closing hatches within the first minute of the impact they are hosed.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

If I had to guess, I think the most likely option is that Ukraine nailed it with a missile and it needs some degree of recovery transposition, but we probably won't get the endorphin-juicingly satisfying "leaked pictures of obviously hosed UP ship" plus "moskva died on the way to his home planet" outcome that we got with the cruiser, and this will fade away frustratingly under the fog of war as schroedinger's frigate

But honestly russia continues to be a dreamboat of hilariously lovely crisis containment so I could be wrong and in two days open up tiktok to see "russian soldiers escaping BURNING warship CHALLENGE" or some hilariously dumb poo poo that redefines the bottom of the barrel for opsec failure yet again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

This time there's the claim from Ukraine of having launched a missile at a ship but radio silence from Russia.
There's reports but no formal government claims, I don't think. Formally, they understand to make a claim, and to have to walk it back later, reduces credibility. So they have only said they are trying to verify it, but won't even comment if they actually fired upon her. Can't find the link, but the source was I believe, Arestovych.