Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It's a skimpy bikini type thing, not full nudity, but yeah Disgaea is not ashamed about its loli content. I somehow have a hard time believing MPP has never seen or heard of Etna though.

e: god drat what a cursed snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I wouldn't exaggerate MPP, especially not in this, the one thread that I seriouspost in

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I recently had a Positive Gaming Experience with "Paradigm", a point and click adventure game (a good genre) that I had never heard of but apparently was a kickstarter or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoLXPa4vw9M

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/EveOnline/status/1522561334310842369

lol

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

gently caress yeah I loving love numbers.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Spreadsheets in space was supposed to be a joke... a joke :negative:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
EVE is so bad now. They have been frog boiling it in microtransactions for several years and it now resembles the worst kind of phone game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
jesus christ eve players were always the most broken gamers but they just keep outdoing themselves

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I started playing Sea of Thieves with some friends and it's got unskippable tutorial prompts about how to go to an island, but also a game where you gotta hold a button to read signs to navigate around an island.

The UI/UX is incredibly bad in the sense of what the gameloop is and how you have to go about doing it. Like I wanna play the game that's going on my screen but I'm given QWOP like controls.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Cornwind Evil posted:

The SNES Aladdin video game is much better than the Genesis one.

the gently caress outta here!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It's true I tried to buy the SNES version of Aladdin in the switch and it's the Genesis version? loving tell me how Nintendo doesn't have the Super NINTENDO version of Aladdin and Lion King but have the Genesis version.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Vic posted:

I started playing Sea of Thieves with some friends and it's got unskippable tutorial prompts about how to go to an island, but also a game where you gotta hold a button to read signs to navigate around an island.

The UI/UX is incredibly bad in the sense of what the gameloop is and how you have to go about doing it. Like I wanna play the game that's going on my screen but I'm given QWOP like controls.

Played that game for a bit with friends. At some point because we had gotten away from our friend, who had spawned the ship we were on, the ship itself ended up despawning lol that game is such a mess.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
My kids love playing it when they come over my house so I keep it installed but every time I try to play it it's very tedious and unfun.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Excel rules

Y’all need to chill out and do some fuckin calculations yo

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

is pepsi ok posted:

gently caress yeah I loving love numbers.

lol, all video games that have been made and ever will be made are just lots and lots of numbers.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Excel is my favorite program

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Naw Sea of thieves is a super sit back and chill game for awhile then a guy tries to fight you and it becomes sweat inducing try hardedness. Or you can look for that thrill of battle where engagements last for half an hour where you try to out maneuver and counter enemy actions constantly.

As for the mandatory tutorials Vic was complaining about i think you can turn those off and also set controls to not do "hold to use" stuff , i still do because im a doofus whos gotten used to it

Game has a really good style and game feel for me. Everything is well crafted and detailed. (Look at that fuckin water)

Me and my friend were even doin the pirate voices as we played because why not, be a pirate.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Bed of Chaos is a great boss fight

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

there's too many loving games. It's completely overwhelming. I miss like 2010 when it was super easy to keep up with stuff I wanted to play.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The last time I read any posts about Eve it sounded like all the goons had been murdered and didn't control anything anymore. Is that still the case?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nice Van My Man posted:

The last time I read any posts about Eve it sounded like all the goons had been murdered and didn't control anything anymore. Is that still the case?

the developers nerfed mining and resource gathering hardcore, making super capitol ships extremely expensive. so the mega-fleet that was laying siege to goon space went home instead of risking their now irreplaceable space penis. this is the sovereignty map as of today:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Me sitting in front of a screen in a 1990s video game commercial, wind is blowing my hair back and electricity is arcing all over my body, I start screaming "TUBULAR!!!" before my head explodes and a bunch of fireworks start shooting out of the neck hole

The camera pans to show the screen, it's Microsoft Excel on Windows 95

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Hihohe posted:

Naw Sea of thieves is a super sit back and chill game for awhile then a guy tries to fight you and it becomes sweat inducing try hardedness. Or you can look for that thrill of battle where engagements last for half an hour where you try to out maneuver and counter enemy actions constantly.

As for the mandatory tutorials Vic was complaining about i think you can turn those off and also set controls to not do "hold to use" stuff , i still do because im a doofus whos gotten used to it

Game has a really good style and game feel for me. Everything is well crafted and detailed. (Look at that fuckin water)

Me and my friend were even doin the pirate voices as we played because why not, be a pirate.

You can skip a tutorial, but you can't skip a thing about your first adventure quest which you get if you try to play it solo freeplay.

But I was trying to make a point about the juxtaposition of:
- "tutorial of looking at map and going to a place" being super obvious and unnecessary (after Im already 3 hours in sailing to different islands)
and
- finding random artefacts, having to haul them one piece at a time to a buyer I can identify by holding it up to their face so the prompt stops saying "you can't sell [item] here, find [item buyer]"

like I enjoy the comedy of an intentionally clunky UI that can mean exploding your ship on accident instead of loading a cannon, but this is not it. It's just several levels of radial menus everywhere.

The core game is fine. Everything around it is poo poo.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Elentor posted:

Excel is my favorite program

how do i use excel at ur level

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

veni veni veni posted:

there's too many loving games. It's completely overwhelming. I miss like 2010 when it was super easy to keep up with stuff I wanted to play.

right? i have all these sweet toys and a lot of time they make me feel like a piece of poo poo for not finishing anything

it's a stupid thing to get upset about but i wish i was more organized or consistent with how i play videogames (a leisure activity for children)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kntfkr posted:

how do i use excel at ur level

Just input your weight every day on a new row

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
game backlog is like the national debt, it doesnt go down. the day you die your backlog will be at it's maximum

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Some teacher for my university science course used excel to make a super complicated simulation game for investing in environmental technologies and reducing your carbon footprint and it had like, cheatcodes and random events and all of this poo poo. It was honestly an insane thing for him to make for a uni course and kinda blew my mind.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rutibex posted:

the developers nerfed mining and resource gathering hardcore, making super capitol ships extremely expensive. so the mega-fleet that was laying siege to goon space went home instead of risking their now irreplaceable space penis. this is the sovereignty map as of today:

Fuckin' nerd poo poo lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

Some teacher for my university science course used excel to make a super complicated simulation game for investing in environmental technologies and reducing your carbon footprint and it had like, cheatcodes and random events and all of this poo poo. It was honestly an insane thing for him to make for a uni course and kinda blew my mind.

that was VBA though

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Forget Disgaea, MPP should play XCOM: Chimera Squad for obvious reasons

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Item Getter posted:

Forget Disgaea, MPP should play XCOM: Chimera Squad for obvious reasons

Dear God, do you know nothing of the goon's work???

Of course they've played loving XCOM: Chimera Squad. They aren't some scrub.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Final Fantasy X subverts the general optimism of the main characters who are willing to do "good" viewing only the short term - instead of having a nihilistic negative utilitarian antagonist, Jecht is a negative utilitarian who follows the belief that being self-aware and in control holds a higher EV than total annihilation, whereas a lot of JRPG/FF villains are nihilists. FFX only works because the main characters' stupidity and optimism aligns with the willingness to sacrifice the world in order to have a chance to permanently eliminate a cause of suffering, both of which are good negative utilitarian outcomes depending on the philosophy. Yunalesca, meanwhile, measures hope and the blind ignorance that allows the majority to live a relatively peaceful life as being worthy of human sacrifice, a notion that is generally disavowed in negative utilitarianism (there's no positive points being gained, while the sacrifices being made count as an enormously huge negative).

In that sense, FFX represents the idea of long-term planning negative utilitarianism being more mature and more compassionate than utilitarianism, further maturing against the then eastern trope of nihilistic villains who wanted to destroy the universe in order to eliminate suffering. This is added as a metaphor in that FFX, the not subtle cycle happening in a world called Spira (lol) is akin to getting out of the Samsara, but while the dead who are trapped in an afterlife of illusions for aeons finally get to permanently rest, the cycle broken for the living instead is the cycle of martyrdom, wherein

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
FFX subverted my expectations, which were to play a fun game with interesting characters that I care about. I know that by any sane measure I shouldn't have had those expectations but they were subverted nonetheless

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
FFX was the last good final fantasy

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think FFX is the best final fantasy with a cool combat system and a weird interesting plot, but that may also be because I played it when I was 12.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rutibex posted:

FFX was the last good final fantasy

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

The SNES Aladdin video game is much better than the Genesis one.

They both play like mediocre platformers, but the Genesis version was one of the first games to deliver a visual presentation that did justice to the work it was licensed from. Hence it is better.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Rutibex posted:

FFXII was the last good final fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All the final fantasy games are good.

Except IX and Tactics