Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Alliance's success is going to boil the DUP's piss so much :hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that was meant for irish politics thread but i'll leave it here because northern ireland is - for the time being - still in the UK as well as being a strange EU outpost

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TulliusCicero posted:

As someone from the US:

Was this result anticipated by polls or expected? I thought the Torries and Boris had pretty solid control due to your own insane boomer bloc?

An important note if you're unfamiliar and just looking at the English numbers and seeing 2213 labour councillors vs 1041 Conservative councillors, local elections in England work a bit like the Senate elections where only a portion of councillors are up for election in any given year. Some councils do their entire council every 4 years (but different years for different councils), while others have elections three years out of every 4 to re-elect a third of councillors--I think some also do half the council every 2 years. This particular election the seats up for re-election were much more prevalently Labour-held, so even though they finished a thousand seats ahead they only actually gained 51.

The Liberals did really well, but Local government is something of their specialty, and shouldn't necessarily be seen as something which will translate to seats at the national level. Lots of voters will happily vote for their Liberal councillor one year and vote Tory in the national election the year after.

I think a drop of 341 in England on the Tory side is probably a bit larger than most on their side were hoping for, but losing those seats to Lib Dems is way, waaaay less concerning for them than if they'd lost all those seats to Labour.

The other parts of the UK are all special cases, the closest thing to an upset might be the Tories losing second place to Labour in Scotland, but again on a national level won't make much of a difference since most of those seats would be going to the SNP at Westminster anyway.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
thanks to big buris's bonkers brexit bargaining

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
wuwwuruhgh i only hud some bhawdji's ufficuh i dudn't huv a main cowrse wurwuhg

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

crispix posted:

Alliance's success is going to boil the DUP's piss so much :hehe:

Pissslave42068xxxgokuweedxxx

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TulliusCicero posted:

As someone from the US:

Was this result anticipated by polls or expected? I thought the Torries and Boris had pretty solid control due to your own insane boomer bloc?

It's mostly expected but the size of the defeat is probably a wee bit bigger than anticipated. The thing with the the Tories is they are very divisive. There's a lot of people who probably would be Tory voters in a normal country but because they are old they remember Thatcher vividly & what her government did to their local communities & that bitterness dies hard for some. And Boris is more divisive on top of that: some Tories hate him, and as many people are charmed by his mysterious appeal (no, really, I don't get it) he's still incredibly off-putting to others as basically being full of poo poo & utterly insincere.

Combine all that with the fact that the Tories have been in office for 12 years & there's a general fatigue, plus the rising cost of living & Boris's penchant for thinking the rules applied to everyone but him, his government giving out PPE contracts to companies who'd never made a facemask before in their lives but happened to be Tory donors was pretty enraging. Honestly, if there was a competent opposition they'd have done much more.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1522875701053042689?s=19

Don't think you were supposed to say that bit mate

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gonzo McFee posted:

Don't think you were supposed to say that bit mate

Needs to be said more.
I bet you most of the UK that isn't NI thinks they had fair elections all the last 100 years.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

They always said "A protestant parliament for a protestant people!".... yeah, about that. :kiddo:

What a time to be alive.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Lungboy posted:

My grandad was an Irish Presbyterian Royal Marine, plus an alcoholic and an abuser, so I'm pretty loving glad I never got to meet him. The first thing he ever said to my mum when he met her was "you're not a loving Catholic are you?". Lovely person.

Weird thing to say to a baby yeah.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm totally out of the loop on this, are there any good primers on what's going on in Tower Hamlets council? Some sort of single issue populist/anti-labour party. Twitter just spits out a lot of bickering and racism (heh ironic).

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1522989233606119424

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

I'm totally out of the loop on this, are there any good primers on what's going on in Tower Hamlets council? Some sort of single issue populist/anti-labour party. Twitter just spits out a lot of bickering and racism (heh ironic).

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1522989233606119424

It's a bit simpler than that.
Tower Hamlets has a large Bangladeshi community and Lutfur Rahman is Bangladeshi.
He's also been banned from holding public office in the past because in his previous time as Mayor, he his staff got up to all kinds of illegal election stuff that saw his right-hand-man get a prison sentence. Stuff like "Oh hey, old people, no need to post your postal votes, we'll drop them off for you; also we'll fill them in for you" and outright voter intimidation outside polling stations.

The police have an officer stand outside every polling station now, in response to the historical stuff.

Rahman was previously a Labour mayor; John Biggs (who a few people have told me is a bit of a oval office) spent quite a lot of time wanting to be the Labour mayoral candidate but was overlooked in favour of Rahman. He put a lot of effort into trying to get Rahman investigated and once Rahman was banned from politics, Biggs got the Labour candidacy and became Mayor.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 7, 2022

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

*laughs in Easter Rising*

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
so I hear the impromptu work based curry before they went back to work was a scheduled meal at the end of the day and the heil are waving the receipts around and some libs are getting right tuned up about it all

chances of the keer is gone celebratory curry increasing by the moment, forecast delicious

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

DesperateDan posted:

so I hear the impromptu work based curry before they went back to work was a scheduled meal at the end of the day and the heil are waving the receipts around and some libs are getting right tuned up about it all

chances of the keer is gone celebratory curry increasing by the moment, forecast delicious

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1522977416037208064?s=20&t=Nt527nquoXzU7VIyRdk91w

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Aipsh posted:

*laughs in Easter Rising*

A slow burn, but a deep one. :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forensic

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The only issue with this is I thought someone said they returned to work after? When the schedule seems to suggest they actually went to their hotel? But other than that pretty much as before, an employer provided food for employees and told them about it before so they knew they were sorted. No issues. No party

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The only issue with this is I thought someone said they returned to work after? When the schedule seems to suggest they actually went to their hotel? But other than that pretty much as before, an employer provided food for employees and told them about it before so they knew they were sorted. No issues. No party

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This was amazing

https://twitter.com/GNDRising/status/1522902822475509760

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like when you go to eat and drink with a bunch of other people after work that's a party.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Maugrim posted:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like when you go to eat and drink with a bunch of other people after work that's a party.

Quite an insight in to your life lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I feel out of the loop here.
Why are people repeating the same post?
Have you been taking lessons from Tory cabinet members and their clone tweets?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I am guessing it is a twitter bit yes.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I dunno I just found 99's triple post amusing so I ran with it

Partygate as a topic is so very boring but I think that's exactly why it's so effective at convincing people that all sides are as bad as each other, nobody who isn't a politics nut is going to be paying attention the exact details and severity of the various transgressions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh I can't see any of his posts lol.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Owlfancier is the only reason I post here. He's great. Just bloody love him. He never replies.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
incredible that in the year 2022 people are still stanning for Keith

e: oh, sorry, I meant The only issue with this is I thought someone said they returned to work after? When the schedule seems to suggest they actually went to their hotel? But other than that pretty much as before, an employer provided food for employees and told them about it before so they knew they were sorted. No issues. No party

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

best thing is I don't actually begrudge the circumstances at all, but after previous legal bullshit like getting someone six months for picking up a sixer of water from the street or nicking an ice cream he can reap what he sows, let alone all the other stuff his whut uggh eatin' antics have caused

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

so who should I vote for in the leadership election

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

best thing is I don't actually begrudge the circumstances at all, but after previous legal bullshit like getting someone six months for picking up a sixer of water from the street or nicking an ice cream he can reap what he sows, let alone all the other stuff his whut uggh eatin' antics have caused

Actually. I hadn't fully computed that until you said it so explicitly. But it would be lol as gently caress that RoboCop gets done on a technicality after years of shooting people's balls off because he had to.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tesseraction posted:

so who should I vote for in the leadership election

The SCG doesn't have enough members to nominate someone by themselves any more so all the candidates are going to be poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

babs for britain

or at least she's gonna fundraise a few tens of grand for it then quit immediately again