Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I too realised final fantasy games were heavily flawed post adolescence but i also realised this for wrestling and there are still legions of 40+ year old men who follow that poo poo as religiously as i did when i was 14 so who the gently caress knows

I think it just comes down to the fact that every game is flawed and how much those flaws matter while playing comes down to how good the good parts are. Yeah, every FF game has big flaws, but IMO they usually (though not always) have enough good in them that they’re still worth playing and can still be enjoyed.

That tends to be how I see games in general, though. I’m very aware of the flaws in all of my favorite games, I just like the good parts enough that the flaws don’t detract from the overall experience while I’m actively playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I liked FFXIV a lot

I played a catboy

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I honestly can't see how Elden Ring looks as gorgeous or beautiful or cinematic or w/e as people say it does. The game just looks kinda ugly to me.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Turn on ur monitor

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Elden Ring could be the best game if they incorporated the Insult system from 50 cent Blood on the Sand.

Every game can be improved by the Insult system.

Facts.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 7, 2022

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Elden Ring NEEDS playable Miqo'te.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

Elden Ring could be the best game if they incorporated the Insult system from 50 cent Blood on the Sand.

Every game can be improved but the Insult system.

Facts.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

his combat mooneuvers are top notch

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Rutibex posted:

game backlog is like the national debt, it doesnt go down. the day you die your backlog will be at it's maximum

Unless you preorder something and then die before it drops

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Facts.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Facts.

It has an insult system but it only works in multiplayer, you activate it by stomping all over a player and using the items that say WONDERFUL or MY BELOVED or YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL in a deep soothing voice

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I killed someone in Elden Ring and they messaged me to call me a "meta trashcan loser" don't know what that means but the games is hella fun

itry
Aug 23, 2019

What's the current meta for trash cans?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

runnypoops posted:

I killed someone in Elden Ring and they messaged me to call me a "meta trashcan loser" don't know what that means but the games is hella fun

it means you won

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The day after Demon's Souls came out in 2009 I was trying out my first invasion, no idea what I was doing. So run around for a bit and come across the guy I'm invading. I can actually see from his weird movement that his hands are shaking, he then just tries to book it and run like hell away from me and falls off a cliff.

Then he sends me a message "Thanks to people like you I am done with this game forever. I hope you're happy"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

The day after Demon's Souls came out in 2009 I was trying out my first invasion, no idea what I was doing. So I come across the guy I'm invading. I can actually see from his weird movement that his hands are shaking, he then just tries to book it and run like hell away from me and falls off a cliff.

Then he sends me a message "Thanks to people like you I am done with this game forever. I hope you're happy"

My first invasion was also one I initiated (in Dark Souls) while my friend who had never played watched. The target was also a noob, so it was a complete scrub fest. We basically traded back and forth, each of us emptying our stamina bar launching attacks into the other's raised heater shield, then switching. We had no other tactics. My buddy and I were hooting and hollering the whole time. It took forever and I don't even remember how it ended except I won. My heart was pounding.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I really miss the early days of Souls where you'd randomly get invaded whether you like it or not at completely unexpected times. They really skewed it towards only specific areas and circumstances after DS1, and then made it completely optional with Elden Ring.

I did like, very little PVP in ER but it's kind of whack that you have to face off against 2-3 players if you want to invade.

I think there's an item to just let anyone invade you which I'll probably use on my next playthrough. The game was just so loving big I didn't do my usual 20 hours of PVP dicking around the first time around.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I really miss the early days of Souls where you'd randomly get invaded whether you like it or not at completely unexpected times. They really skewed it towards only specific areas and circumstances after DS1, and then made it completely optional with Elden Ring.

I did like, very little PVP in ER but it's kind of whack that you have to face off against 2-3 players if you want to invade.

I think there's an item to just let anyone invade you which I'll probably use on my next playthrough. The game was just so loving big I didn't do my usual 20 hours of PVP dicking around the first time around.

Are you drunk or something? Invasions were always optional.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

The day after Demon's Souls came out in 2009 I was trying out my first invasion, no idea what I was doing. So run around for a bit and come across the guy I'm invading. I can actually see from his weird movement that his hands are shaking, he then just tries to book it and run like hell away from me and falls off a cliff.

i'm gonna save this in my quotes file

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

let he who has never had the pvp shakes cast the first stone

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vic posted:

Technically that's true but exposing yourself to invasion also doubled your health and made you many times more attractive (in game and irl)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It would have been better for fps games if half life had never existed.

It was the birth of having to sit through half an hour of cutscenes prior to killing your first enemy rather than immediately chainsawing some poor sap in half, and the death knell of unrealistic but actually fun weapons like freeze rays and rocket launchers that you could use to propel yourself into hard to reach places

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Breetai posted:

It would have been better for fps games if half life had never existed.

It was the birth of having to sit through half an hour of cutscenes prior to killing your first enemy rather than immediately chainsawing some poor sap in half, and the death knell of unrealistic but actually fun weapons like freeze rays and rocket launchers that you could use to propel yourself into hard to reach places

I can assure you that games where you just shoot things still exist

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vic posted:

I guess if you suicide every time you win, or turn your internet off, but if you aren't playing like a beyotch they just happened sometimes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rutibex posted:

I can assure you that games where you just shoot things still exist

yes and it would be better if there were more of them
and none of the other kind

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cutscenes are bad, but story is good.

Like STALKER. You get a story and talking to NPC's, but no cutscenes.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm not sure i gave a poo poo about STALKER's story even once at any point. It was just a sandbox with missions as far as I could tell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Either one can be bad or good depending on how well it's executed and how much it works in tandem with the game. I'm sorry but that isn't an unpopular opinion it's just an opinion that is poorly thought out.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'm sorry, but short films taking away your controls for minutes at a time is always bad.

Yes, even that game that you like. It's also bad there.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm not sure i gave a poo poo about STALKER's story even once at any point. It was just a sandbox with missions as far as I could tell.

So it didn't interfere with your enjoyment of the game even though you didn't care. Sounds like a well designed mix of story setting and gameplay.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Look at any Fromsoft game they set the entire tone of the game with like 15 minutes of extremely dope rear end cutscenes spread out over the course of the entire game and according to your logic some dumb anime game that yaps at you for 20 minutes straight constantly in dialog boxes is objectively superior. Sorry but that take is just straight up dumb as hell. Watching some character talk at you isn't actually more interactive at all.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 8, 2022

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I didn't say those were good :smug:

Edit: The intro cutscenes in Fromsoft games are ok because it's before any gameplay has been done. Just setting up the mood.

Edit:

On a less tongue-in-cheek note; It's hard to implement conversations in games while keeping players' agency in mind. The Half Life approach was to keep players' controls active, but still lock them in a room. That's pretty good, but it would be better if the player could skip this pseudo cutscene too...

But how to do that? You could let them interrupt the NPC by... talking to the NPC? Is there even a dialogue system in the game? Maybe by shooting them? What if it's a story critical NPC? Maybe just let them break down the door? But what happens then (what if something is happening outside the scene)? Will the NPC keep talking? Do you add extra dialogue for this scenario? Give a radio to the player? etc. etc.

It's easier and cheaper to just lock the player in. It's understandable. Still not particularly enjoyable, but understandable.

What jRPG's do is having NPC's talk at you via dialogue boxes. It's less interactive because, while it's still in-engine, they also usually take your controls away.

itry fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 8, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Not joking, I just a had a vivid dream in which Bloodborne came out on PC and it took me a minute after I woke up :rip:

veni veni veni posted:

I guess if you suicide every time you win, or turn your internet off, but if you aren't playing like a beyotch they just happened sometimes.

There's a multiplayer on/off button right in the main menu.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'm playing Elden Ring again after putting it down for two months because I didn't have the time for it, and it doesn't really feel the same. The excitement of shared discovery isn't there now, and I have no idea what the meta developed into so I'm hesitant to co-op. Also I decided to start a new game and now I'm just running through stuff I've already done, so it's not as interesting atm.

Vic posted:

Not joking, I just a had a vivid dream in which Bloodborne came out on PC and it took me a minute after I woke up :rip:

We can only hope it was a prophetic dream.

itry fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 8, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you're willing to use Sony's streaming service Bloodborne is on PC*

*I don't know if its still on that service for streaming because PSNow is a mess

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I didn't even remember that service was a thing on PC.

Edit: well then

itry fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 8, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

itry posted:

I didn't even remember that service was a thing on PC.

My experience attempting to use it could best be described as "it works and not one bit better"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Facts.

Somebody hasn't found the speaking stones in Elden Ring.

itry posted:

I'm playing Elden Ring again after putting it down for two months because I didn't have the time for it, and it doesn't really feel the same. The excitement of shared discovery isn't there now, and I have no idea what the meta developed into so I'm hesitant to co-op. Also I decided to start a new game and now I'm just running through stuff I've already done, so it's not as interesting atm.

We can only hope it was a prophetic dream.

Who gives a gently caress about "meta"? Play how you want to play and enjoy it!

I'm just past the city in my playthrough that I started when the game was released. My goal is to finish the game by June 5th and then start playing other games finally.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 8, 2022

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I just started playing Elden Ring yesterday and it's like an 11/10 game. Best souls game ever, maybe best game ever. I don't know if that's actually unpopular though

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Only among western game developers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vic posted:

There's a multiplayer on/off button right in the main menu.

There absolutely is not in the early games. This wasn’t introduced until at least Dark Souls 2, possibly later which is why people would infamously turn their internet off on system level. Even now “play offline” means you also don’t get to to see bloodstains, ghosts, or do co op.