Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Clarence should have a Coke and chill out for a bit.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The reason people eat so much poo poo there is it's an off ramp off the interstate that suddenly tunnels right at a rather quick turn. People have so much speed not knowing there's a stop light and just eat poo poo lol

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That's why the 99 was superior :colbert:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Similar to that, on I-90 in Cleveland, they have a Dead man’s curve where you have to slow down to like 40 because of a sharp turn on the highway. Easy place to wipe out if you don’t pay attention to the 20 flashing signs as you approach.

Just saw the new Dr. Strange. Pretty good, but unfortunately it’s a not Marvel movie that requires you to be up on practically their entire catalog over the last few years to know what’s going on. Still fun, and there’s a lot of good cameos.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yacht seizure season again!

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1522801378057494534

I remember reading Putin is very careful to not have anything tied to him by name, so I'm guessing it took some forensic financial work to tie it back to him.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My partner and I went out after I got off work today and got home about a half hour ago and I feel a little guilty since the cats where super excited to see me and also very upset that they hadn't gotten their wet food dinner. She took this week off and neither one of us thought to feed them before she left around 4:30 to come get me at 5.

I also might be making a same day trip from Seattle to Chattanooga since it's the closest airport to where the child I'm going with needs to be in Georgia next week and I am not looking forward to it.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Moved this fat bitches bed out of the kids room and she’s elated. She’s good with them but her greyhound side makes her neurotic when they’re around. Guess she’s happy cause I moved it and she’s burrowed in and refuses to come to the couch and cuddle

The sausage earlier

Also she made a friend today, a 130 pound pure bred English Lab named Winston. Dwarfed her 80lb rear end in every sense, funny seeing his older lady owner trying to drag him away on their walk

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 7, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

We own this city is loving good.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Moved this fat bitches bed out of the kids room and she’s elated. She’s good with them but her greyhound side makes her neurotic when they’re around. Guess she’s happy cause I moved it and she’s burrowed in and refuses to come to the couch and cuddle

The sausage earlier

Also she made a friend today, a 130 pound pure bred English Lab named Winston. Dwarfed her 80lb rear end in every sense, funny seeing his older lady owner trying to drag him away on their walk

Also, this is a good dog.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Also, this is a good dog.

She really is, wish I hunted cause she’s perfect for it. She likes to go cat (Labrador) mode and hunker down when she sees prey (people walking their dogs) then once they are far enough she sprints full Grayhound speed making zero noise until she reaches the fence so she can scare the poo poo out of them.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its kinda cool when you see your sweet pet become a predator again for a flash. My parents have this poo poo cute little cavoodle designer dog but when it sees a scrub turkey or a mouse it goes into predator mode and it's so loving cool.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Holy poo poo Everything Everywhere All At Once is an amazing movie. Go see it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Coco13 posted:

Best scene is jamie lee Curtis randomly pulling out her vape pen and just being like “gently caress it”

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

BlindSite posted:

Its kinda cool when you see your sweet pet become a predator again for a flash. My parents have this poo poo cute little cavoodle designer dog but when it sees a scrub turkey or a mouse it goes into predator mode and it's so loving cool.

Our little Maltipoo does this as well with bugs (she's caught a bunch), birds (she caught one once then dropped it because all parties involved were shocked, including her) and squirrels (no chance in hell at catching one)

The little predator:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Coco13 posted:

I tried but got called in for my on-call shift about 10 minutes in, whoops. Next week!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

lol the “smartest man on earth” thinks people will subscribe to twitter

https://twitter.com/mailonline/status/1522758358972907526?s=21

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I'm bad at PowerPoint as well, but for very different reasons.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

https://twitter.com/mailonline/status/1522758358972907526?s=21

Everyone knows that the best thing to do to grow a social network is to charge people for the privilege of joining. Elon has done it again!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I mean it sure seems like he’s doing everything in his power to make Twitter say no.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

hope you got 3 bux

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Twitter bought Scroll, which was a product I liked and enjoyed, and put it behind their Twitter Blue or whatever it’s called and I disavowed it forever. Dude is betting hard on the fact that people are as addicted to the self harm of being on the hellsite as he is and I’m not sure that’s a bet he wins.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
He should go the Something Awful route and charge :10bux: instead.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 7, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Musk is a thumb but personally I would love it if twitter was a little cleaned out. Charging people would limit all the bots and trolls a bit

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
How does this paywall work with embedded tweets in articles, Facebook, tic-toc, dead gay websites, and what have you?

Seems like a bad idea.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

He should go the Something Awful route and charge :10bux: instead.

Think how many gourmet cookies he could buy!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Weird question: if you work an office job and start work at 9:00, is the expectation that you clock out at 5:00? Or are you expected to take an hour of lunch doesn't count towards your daily eight hour tally and end at 6:00 instead?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The best / easiest way to monetize twitter would be to charge for replying to tweets with a gif

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fsif posted:

Weird question: if you work an office job and start work at 9:00, is the expectation that you clock out at 5:00? Or are you expected to take an hour of lunch doesn't count towards your daily eight hour tally and end at 6:00 instead?

That’s me. In at 6:30, out at 5:00, 30 minute lunch that doesn’t count towards the daily ten hours (4 10s).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Hot Diggity! posted:

The best / easiest way to monetize twitter would be to charge for replying to tweets with a gif

Tumblr recently implemented a sponsored post system which is going great, Elon and Jeffrey take notes
https://twitter.com/thelemonofpink/status/1517102911368876032

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

I said this exact same thing 8 years ago when I claimed we were buying at the top of market and there is no way houses could get any more expensive and my wife still brings it up as an example of me being profoundly wrong, after our house has appreciated over 2 fold in those 8 years. There has to be a limit, where a household of two techworkers making 500k a year might decide that there can be better uses of their money than paying 3m for a 2 bed 1 bath, but who knows with investors also limiting the market. It might just hold steady vs going down. Maybe laws prohibiting investor groups buying houses and forcing a sell off would help bring houses down some, no idea how many are actually investor owned.

I have lived in 8 different places, none of them more than a few miles from the California coast or SF bay. 6 around the bay area a few miles apart, 2 different places in college further down the coast.

Yeah "it has to stop eventually" and actually calling the top when it happens are two different things. As they say, economists have predicted 14 out of the last 3 recessions, etc. I would not have called the top in 2014, but it's understandable given how rapid prices were rising from 2010 to 2014 to have thought so. I'm also an SF goon, this area market is absurd, and it's not just programmers making that kind of money around here, we have a lot of biotech, finance (BofA, Wells Fargo, etc), Chevron has a big presence here, and the tourist industry is looking to recover this year too. Plus California is uniquely hosed because of prop 13, which heavily disincentivizes selling your house for any reason and is generationally-inheritable (and also applies to commercial real estate!).

It'd be difficult to entirely prevent investors from speculating on houses, and of course anything that promised to lower housing prices is a direct attack on the house-owning class who would see their net worth dissolve. For a ton of boomers, the value in their houses is the insurance against horrifically spiraling health care costs - my parents are a perfect example - so they're not going to vote against their interests and support any legislation that threatens to make existing houses go down in value.

Some folks hope that once the boomers are gone that changes, but no, their kids and grandkids will inherit those houses and the situation will persist. From a political viability perspective, prop 13 probably can't be got rid of without some kind of very long ramp-down grandfather (lol) clause that guarantees people currently clinging to their tiny tax bills on houses worth a million dollars won't be affected for the next 50 years or something like that.

For the rest of the country, though, there's some hope that the inevitable eventual recession, ongoing home construction boom, etc. could force housing prices to plateau and maybe even contract a bit. On the other hand, perhaps the inevitable inundation of the coasts by rising sea levels will remove more housing stock than builders can replace, and we're all doomed. :shrug: nobody can really have any certainty about it.

LeeMajors posted:

A paywall of some kind would actually do a ton to get rid of bots, but it's also directly counter to Musk's stated intentions to make Twitter a pure free speech platform, so that's ironic darkly funny

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

fsif posted:

Yeah, lunch usually doesn’t count. I’ve had jobs that were 9AM to 5:30PM where I had a 30 minute lunch, my current job is 8AM to 5PM and I get an hour for lunch.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

fsif posted:

I don’t clock in or out or track hours. Just kinda do whatever and make sure I’m available.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Every job I’ve ever had that starts at nine the expectation is to be there till six

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Neil Armbong posted:

I don’t clock in or out or track hours. Just kinda do whatever and make sure I’m available.

Right, I meant "clock out" in an informal way but my normal working hours are 9:00–5:00 and I just count my half hour lunch as part of my normal 8 hours. There are often weeks where I'm putting in 60 hours, but I guess in a "normal" week I'm really more like 37.5.

It's been like that the past couple places I've worked but I might be starting something new soon and realized that might not be the assumed practice, heh.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I clock out mentally 1 minute after I physically clock in

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

fsif posted:

I take a "working lunch" so I don't count it. Good and bad because sometimes I do not get to enjoy it peacefully.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I clock in around 8. But let’s be honest, I’m more focused on trying to keep my inbred idiot heir from dying of smallpox

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I am 8-5, supposed to have an hour lunch but can't remember when I've actually gotten to take one.

Also usually work til 7 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

fsif posted:

Right, I meant "clock out" in an informal way but my normal working hours are 9:00–5:00 and I just count my half hour lunch as part of my normal 8 hours. There are often weeks where I'm putting in 60 hours, but I guess in a "normal" week I'm really more like 37.5.

It's been like that the past couple places I've worked but I might be starting something new soon and realized that might not be the assumed practice, heh.

Any good capitalist should be trying to extract maximum value out of the least amount of work. Working 9-5 but still taking an hour lunch is the Patriotic thing to do :fsmug: