Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah, but why? The world is full of assholes.

Because otherwise the game doesn't happen. Would you rather the game to have happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

man why should i stomp on that turtle. it didn't do anything to me. and what's with this time limit

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well personally, I think using the anti-mass spectrometer in this situation sounds unsafe, and I will be reporting this plan to the administration

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

christmas boots posted:

The demigods had a family squabble and broke the world. Now you need to become the Elden Lord to fix it.

The thing is we don’t know how repairing the ring is supposed to fix anything. Is there metaphysical poo poo that has become, to use a technical term, “hosed up”, and can be un-hosed if the ring is fixed? Or is fixing the ring in response to the shattering like reviving Archduke Ferdinand in response to WWI?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Snake Maze posted:

The thing is we don’t know how repairing the ring is supposed to fix anything. Is there metaphysical poo poo that has become, to use a technical term, “hosed up”, and can be un-hosed if the ring is fixed? Or is fixing the ring in response to the shattering like reviving Archduke Ferdinand in response to WWI?

If I remember right, one of the ways the ring is broken is that death doesnt really happen right anymore.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You gotta fix the elden ring because if you don't Gideon might and do you really want that nerd to be your elden lord?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One More Fat Nerd posted:

If I remember right, one of the ways the ring is broken is that death doesnt really happen right anymore.

I thought that was intentional

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

One More Fat Nerd posted:

No, to the extent death being weird is a diegetic part of the universe and not a gameplay mechanic it’s a consequence of the rune of death being removed, which happened long before the ring was shattered. And while the specific consequences of the rune of death being removed are very vague, they don’t seem to have changed at all post-shattering.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Snake Maze posted:

IIRC the ring itself does specifically control certain metaphysical aspects of the world which is why you can get different endings from using the various mending runes. I don't think it's entirely laid out what the exact mechanics are, but my take on it is that the Elden Ring ensured that things happened the way they were supposed to. Things that were supposed to die died, things that were supposed to be immortal stayed immortal. With the ring broken some things still act as they were meant to, but now it's suddenly possible for "impossible" things to happen like the dead not dying or immortals being killed. Repairing the ring means re-establishing Order to the world and ensuring everything acts as it's intended to. Just following the main story restores the original Order as it was before the game, but using one of the mending runes from one of the side plots means that the Order you're imposing on reality is a different one than the original.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Death being weird was a thing that the Greater Will did, which is still happening, but it's a little more hosed as a result of the Rune of Death stuff because Fia tried to bring back Godwyn (I think?) and that led to people coming back as Those Who Walk In Death instead of how they're "supposed to" come back.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I thought the Two Fingers were metaphorical, like the collective name of a few organizations.

The reality: :psyduck:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Rockman Reserve posted:

I thought the Two Fingers were metaphorical, like the collective name of a few organizations.

The reality: :psyduck:

There being 5 of them in total, you gotta figure they were once part of the same weird-rear end hand at some point

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Frank Frank posted:

There being 5 of them in total, you gotta figure they were once part of the same weird-rear end hand at some point

There’a actually a three fingers with the other ones

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

RyokoTK posted:

And "ring" is slang for rear end in a top hat...think about it

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

christmas boots posted:

There’a actually a three fingers with the other ones

Yes, 2 + 3 = 5? That was the point I was making?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mechafunkzilla posted:

And "ring" is slang for rear end in a top hat...think about it

The goatse joke was already made and I had to make a new avatar for fridge corn because of how upsetting it was to some people

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Frank Frank posted:

Yes, 2 + 3 = 5? That was the point I was making?

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about other groups of two fingers (like the ones at the tower for Godrick’s Great Rune) and speculating that they all came from the same hand

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

christmas boots posted:

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about other groups of two fingers (like the ones at the tower for Godrick’s Great Rune) and speculating that they all came from the same hand

No, I was saying that the 2 fingers and the 3 wacky chaos fingers were probably all attached to the same hand

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Caphi posted:

Death being weird was a thing that the Greater Will did, which is still happening, but it's a little more hosed as a result of the Rune of Death stuff because Fia tried to bring back Godwyn (I think?) and that led to people coming back as Those Who Walk In Death instead of how they're "supposed to" come back.

those who live in death were either always around and generally not persecuted until the greater will took control (much like the omens), or they came into being as a direct consequence of maliketh imprisoning destined death. fia's been looking for a solution but she never had a hand in the problem

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Frank Frank posted:

No, I was saying that the 2 fingers and the 3 wacky chaos fingers were probably all attached to the same hand

Oh yeah, I'm almost certain of that.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Good Boy Boc and and Good Girl Rya aren't assholes. Do it for them

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GloomMouse posted:

Good Boy Boc and and Good Girl Rya aren't assholes. Do it for them

Dont forget jellyfish sister and turtle pope.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Do It For Patches

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So, in DS3, did they change the parrying controls? Going with a Knight build per my son's request. He picks where to go and what to buy and poo poo. He's the navigator. But I can't parry a loving thing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Key for any DS3 player is to know about the unlimited respec exploit.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
As far as I can tell, the plot in elden ring: is kill everything, become lord. I don't read item descriptions, I get upgrade weapons and go places and kill things. Eventually I'll run out of things to kill.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BiggerBoat posted:

So, in DS3, did they change the parrying controls? Going with a Knight build per my son's request. He picks where to go and what to buy and poo poo. He's the navigator. But I can't parry a loving thing.

Depends what you’re comparing it to. DS3 parrying is pretty similar to Demon’s Souls/DS1 parries where you want to hit parry pretty much right at the point of impact, compared to DS2 or Elden Ring where there’s a bit of windup time beforehand.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

snergle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjjUbMo4Oqo

this isnt the original video i found when i first did my ds1 run through but i cant fight the capra demon i know you can skip it by going backwards through blighttown but also i can just buy bombs.

Unless this has changed since the original PC release, no. No you cannot. Ask me how I know :shepicide:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Ah, a Three Fingers supporter.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

thecluckmeme posted:

Unless this has changed since the original PC release, no. No you cannot. Ask me how I know :shepicide:

It's true in the sense that by going into Blighttown from the exit you can avoid needing to kill Capra in order to access Blighttown/Quelaag/etc. But you're also right that trying to then access the Depths the wrong way around will just lead to pain and profound disappointment.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

BiggerBoat posted:

Same controls, but most humanoids will have tricks up their sleeve and you'll encounter a lot of weird and fast combos, so parrying starts becoming a very high risk thing. Compared to DS1, DS3 makes rolling super cheap on stamina, and you can now roll in every direction when locked on. Poise (your ability to complete your attack and not get stunned) is pretty much gone* so heavy armor now offers only the dmg reduction. You get slapped silly if you just stand there trying to mash.

*it's now tied to how big your weapon is

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Depends what you’re comparing it to. DS3 parrying is pretty similar to Demon’s Souls/DS1 parries where you want to hit parry pretty much right at the point of impact, compared to DS2 or Elden Ring where there’s a bit of windup time beforehand.

no, DS3 has a windup before parry frames start. the parry frames start when your stamina is consumed from the parry.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vic posted:

Same controls, but most humanoids will have tricks up their sleeve and you'll encounter a lot of weird and fast combos, so parrying starts becoming a very high risk thing. Compared to DS1, DS3 makes rolling super cheap on stamina, and you can now roll in every direction when locked on. Poise (your ability to complete your attack and not get stunned) is pretty much gone* so heavy armor now offers only the dmg reduction. You get slapped silly if you just stand there trying to mash.

*it's now tied to how big your weapon is

DS3 Poise is kinda funny to me because it took until Elden Ring to make the game work like it should for the enemies in that regard, where they get staggered by greatsword swings but guys like the omens have super armor/poise specifically when doing attacks, where maybe that was the case for enemies in DS3 but I sure never saw it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

John Murdoch posted:

It's true in the sense that by going into Blighttown from the exit you can avoid needing to kill Capra in order to access Blighttown/Quelaag/etc. But you're also right that trying to then access the Depths the wrong way around will just lead to pain and profound disappointment.

Killing Capra is also how you get past +5 normal weapons. The ember is in the depths

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

BiggerBoat posted:

have you tried asking your navigator if you can parry

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
If I remember correctly, in DS III not only do you have to initiate the parry a little before the attack connects, various shields also have different number of frames when the parry is "active" - specifically, light shields and parrying shields have the most, and the larger the shield the less frames it has.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

have you tried asking your navigator if you can parry

It's been his suggestion. Sure like to see him do it, little know it all.

I felt like I'd mastered gotten the hang of the timing in DS1 but DS3 feels different. I have the knight shield so it should work. Also, I guess embers are the new humanity now?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the worst maps in open world games?

Arkham Origins is two separate districts of Gotham stitched together by a long bridge. You're going to use fast-travel to skip crossing that bridge every time a quest prompts you. You can't fly gracefully as there are numerous large buildings in the way you can't grapple to, making the playable space actually a weird question-mark shape.

What further compounds it is that there are gunmen everywhere. One particular spot is full of snipers for no reason. The whole map feels empty as it's bland, snowy, and full of half-heartedly placed collectibles. The Riddler is voiced by the same guy as always, but he's bored and doesn't a poo poo about what's going on.

The handful of interior levels are no better. There's a police station and if you want to backtrack through it you have to go through vents and broken windows because Batman lacks the will or strength to just knock an ordinary door open. At one point you must enter a morgue, except you find the place by going up a trap-door in a vast sewer system underneath.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 20:34 on May 7, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Thief remake/sequel is absolutely the worst "open world" map I've suffered through. There's next to nothing to do, it's basically three small neighbourhoods, and you just sneak around from end to the other to start missions, but more and more guards show up in between so it becomes agonizingly slow. They could have made it a linear game and lost nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Oxxidation posted:

those who live in death were either always around and generally not persecuted until the greater will took control (much like the omens), or they came into being as a direct consequence of maliketh imprisoning destined death. fia's been looking for a solution but she never had a hand in the problem

this item description doesn't agree with you: https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Skeletal+Bandit+Ashes