Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She put a book out recently, deeply cursed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Maugrim posted:

I just found 99's post amusing

seek immediate medical attention

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

so who should I vote for in the leadership election

write-in Zarah S

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Wes Streeting. Full accelerationism

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Unity candidate, Wes Streeting

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

write-in Zarah S Gerry Adams

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The only issue with this is I thought someone said they returned to work after? When the schedule seems to suggest they actually went to their hotel? But other than that pretty much as before, an employer provided food for employees and told them about it before so they knew they were sorted. No issues. No party

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Owlfancier is the only reason I post here. He's great. Just bloody love him. He never replies.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Actually. I hadn't fully computed that until you said it so explicitly. But it would be lol as gently caress that RoboCop gets done on a technicality after years of shooting people's balls off because he had to.

all big and interesting posts

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
There's this Letters From Afar thing advertised on FB and I was thinking of getting a subscription for my great-niece (age 6). So I googled to see if I can find any reviews about it and found out that Lenin wrote a book called Letters from Afar. Wonder if I should get her that instead?
(She did used to get really excited and happy whenever Jammy Cromble was on tv and jump around).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

Wes Streeting. Pedal to the metal baby, accelerating from 0 to the collapse of liberal democracy, vroom vroom

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Tesseraction posted:

All jokes aside, Thornberry is probably the best prominent MP in the party who might be nominated? She's a bit melty but she's gone hard on supporting trans people recently.

Cue the thread reminding me of something terrible I'd forgotten.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

namesake posted:

The SCG doesn't have enough members to nominate someone by themselves any more so all the candidates are going to be poo poo.
Dammit, I keep reading that as SGC and expect someone to lock chevrons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who can truly say that a twink in a giant flying pyramid with a worm in his brain and a god complex would not be a better leader of the country?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Wes Streeting has a flying pyramid?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tarnop posted:

Weird but true.
It's not even the most interesting thing about him!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Absolutely! Thank you for sharing this :tipshat:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SpaceCommie posted:

All jokes aside,

I assure you that my embracing of accelerationism is very sincere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

Also whenever he does an interview he just yells JAFFA KREE! at the interviewer in response to every question.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The problem with accelerationism is that it relies on the populace to eventually revolt, and Britain loves sucking boot too much.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OwlFancier posted:

Who can truly say that a twink in a giant flying pyramid with a worm in his brain and a god complex would not be a better leader of the country?
Worms in the brain are the exact opposite of a disqualifier for political office in this benighted country.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

True comrades.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The problem with accelerationism is that it relies on the populace to eventually revolt, and Britain loves sucking boot too much.

Historically, the British method is to wait for someone else to have the revolution, then wait for our government to give us what we want to stop us revolting as well.

All the gain, none of the pain.

Stares at America.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

Historically, the British method is to wait for someone else to have the revolution, then wait for our government to give us what we want to stop us revolting as well.

All the gain, none of the pain.

Stares at America.

Happens internally as well. Thatcher conceded a few things to Welsh nationalists because they were worried about having another IRA on their hands.

Eg this, from the blog of the late great Paul Flynn

quote:

S4C

New Minister Ed Vaizey boasted last night that the Tories gave the Welsh nation the Welsh language Channel S4C.

Yes, but under duress. Before history is fictionalised on Norine Dorries' blog let's recall the facts. I was there as Chair of the Broadcasting Council of Wales in 1979 when the new Tory Home Secretary Willie Whitelaw announced that there was to be no S4c. I resigned. No-one in government was impressed.

PM Thatcher was reading Irish History for the first time. She learned that support for Irish Republicanism multipied when they had martyrs who had been executed after the Easter Rising. Plaid Cymru leader Gwynfor Evans embarked on a farewell tour of Wales. He vowed that if no S4C channel was established he would starve himself to death.

Thatcher surrendered in order to deny Wales a martyr and avoid unrest. The politics of S4C run deep. Far too complex for Ed Vaizey to understand.

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 8, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Wait, a British cabinet member reading a book about Irish history? That must be a first & last.

Alex Salmond should go on hunger strike until we get a 2nd referendum. And also because when he dies it won't be much of a loss.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1523212486497169408?t=Ztk6edqRdeU0S9gzbRXPmA&s=19

We all know what they do to greased piglets

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Cameron fucks it?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
You mark the piglets 1, 2 and 4.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jeherrin posted:

Cameron fucks it?

In multiple senses of the word, yes.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nenonen posted:

You mark the piglets 1, 2 and 4.
Then you release them into the Commons and that’s how you get Brexit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Centrists: The far left and far right are both equally as bad at believing convoluted conspiracy explanations for reality

Also Centrists:
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1523049086957486080

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Centrists: The far left and far right are both equally as bad at believing convoluted conspiracy explanations for reality

Also Centrists:
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1523049086957486080

where’s the party unity?!?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Click through for the punchline.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

forkboy84 posted:

Wait, a British cabinet member reading a book about Irish history? That must be a first & last.

Alex Salmond should go on hunger strike until we get a 2nd referendum. And also because when he dies it won't be much of a loss.

vote albalaba

so ah can guh bawck ta eatin bawttered creame eyggs

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

crispix posted:

vote albalaba

so ah can guh bawck ta eatin bawttered creame eyggs

There was a poll that came out that your boy Eck is less popular in Scotland at this point than Douglas Ross, a man so unpopular that only Boris, Rishi & Eck are more unpopular among notable politicians.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

forkboy84 posted:

To be fair it was Thatcher. She studied hard to become the right wing monster that she was. After all she wasn't born to the right sort of parents so the only way she was becoming Head Monster was to study it.
I guess she got into the habit of doing the required reading and homework. Not like the current crop of Tories, who never do any of the required readings.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Or any reading at all, seemingly.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
no they do just enough reading to know all the names of historic white people they can drop into conversation to sound smart and then skim the rest

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

https://twitter.com/JuliaRobots_/status/1523308883200339969

(shamefully linking my own tweet but i couldn't upload another way)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol i’ve only just realised beergate and party gate are two separate things

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Why do we call everything gate here too. Why don't we have our own proper British term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Why do we call everything gate here too. Why don't we have our own proper British term.

Which of the two leaders' scandals will cause their downfall - Partypaedoring or Beerpaedoring?