Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They really should've just waited til they had PVE stuff to beta test, because everything in the beta right now just feels like an Overwatch balance patch. There's nothing particularly exciting to talk about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Multi tanks make open role queue unplayable, unfortunately.

It's a good look at how multi tanks basically ruined this game, however. 2 2 2 was such a loving mistake and it will take years of balancing just to undo all the damage that role selection did to the game.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I notice the ow goon discord isn’t exactly bumping these days

The game is still good, but I’m back after five years away—like I can only imagine how tired of it I’d be at this point. So I guess I get it

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Macaluso posted:

They really should've just waited til they had PVE stuff to beta test, because everything in the beta right now just feels like an Overwatch balance patch. There's nothing particularly exciting to talk about

They absolutely needed to drop SOMETHING because the remaining content creators were going insane with lack of content and they want to keep them sweet to counteract all the negative press.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
the content drought was the biggest mistake they ever made tbh. All their competitors were pumping out new characters and they completely ceded that. I get developing a new game and balancing it is insanely difficult but telling your fanbase who are obsessed with new characters "lol no new characters for ????? years" is a great way to kill hype

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Until they release like, multiple successful maps and characters (lmao) in a bursty period of time, this game ain't recovering.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
https://twitter.com/OverwatchNaeri/status/1522209276420591616?s=20&t=Pj8cXUKQAZ7nQ3NeG4qbJg

The lighting on some maps is awful at the moment. So saturated and blinding.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Minera posted:

Multi tanks make open role queue unplayable, unfortunately.

It's a good look at how multi tanks basically ruined this game, however. 2 2 2 was such a loving mistake and it will take years of balancing just to undo all the damage that role selection did to the game.

Solve the problem of some muppet who can't hit the floor locking widow on a team that already has three damage-dealers selected, and those heroes are genji, hanzo and torb because of loving course they are, without role queues.

Also I love getting poo poo for having whatever-colour border in a comp game ,as though time spent in arcades and pve modes and silly custom games is supposed to make me able to carry in quick play

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

https://twitter.com/OverwatchNaeri/status/1522209276420591616?s=20&t=Pj8cXUKQAZ7nQ3NeG4qbJg

Whoever let that clip of Oasis (0:38) get out to the public needs to be punished. It's like the lights are radiating vasoline.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Father Wendigo posted:

Whoever let that clip of Oasis (0:38) get out to the public needs to be punished. It's like the lights are radiating vasoline.

Probably the same person that made all the gold weapons look like poo poo

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

It's weird that OW2 seems so lazy and low budget while OWL seems well-funded and more or less competent. Like... pick a lane. Is the game abandoned not? :thunk:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

flakeloaf posted:

Solve the problem of some muppet who can't hit the floor locking widow on a team that already has three damage-dealers selected, and those heroes are genji, hanzo and torb because of loving course they are, without role queues.

Widow shouldn't have been in the game so that's your answer for that example.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Groovelord Neato posted:

Widow shouldn't have been in the game so that's your answer for that example.

If anything I'd say Ana is what Widow should have been from the start

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Its like they just added whatever filter filmmakers use to make Mexico look yellow.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Widow Hanzo shouldn't have been in the game so that's your answer for that example.

:hmmyes:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Get rid of Widow Hanzo and Ashe and the game gets a lot better.

Pharah too. but that's more because in 2-2-2 QP chances are your 2 DPS aren't good enough to counter her.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Danknificent posted:

It's weird that OW2 seems so lazy and low budget while OWL seems well-funded and more or less competent. Like... pick a lane. Is the game abandoned not? :thunk:

i could be wrong but i believe teams were required to pay ridiculous franchise fees. that would explain a lot of the funding, plus sponsors, i guess.

DoctorJones fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 8, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I think the pvp stuff still just feels like Overwatch and didn't really do anything to fundamentally change how people feel about Overwatch and it's kind of perplexing that that was apparently all that has been done in 3+ years of supposedly active development. PVE I think would get people back assuming it is at least decently well done because people do clearly like the OW universe even if a ton of people clearly feel that they do not need the OW pvp community in their lives. On that note, it was kind of a trip to see all the same fights briefly re-ignite like it was 2018 all over again.

Putting "Fired Bobby Kotick" in the patch notes would probably also help build some community hype, too and I don't think they're going to be able to generate almost any favorable press at all until he's out of the picture.

Until they release like, multiple successful maps and characters (lmao) in a bursty period of time, this game ain't recovering.

Yeah a crazy amount of ink has been spilled on what all they would need to do to rebuild a playerbase and while there no doubt is a path back, uh, it would require doing almost everything differently top to bottom. Like regular content! An actual expansion worth of content! Intelligent and regular balance tweaks! Winston fires Bobby Kotick into the Sun! Some significant redesign of the game as a whole as well as specifically the maps and characters that addresses the intrinsic, pervasive unresolvable conflicts of OWs class system. Also queue times just can't be what they are in 2022 if you want your game to compete with the gorillas

reminds me of wc3:Reforged's icons. One or two are better? Maybe? the rest are just 'why would you even change that? Who even thinks the new version is an improvement?'

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 8, 2022

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Patch notes: Cole Cassidy renamed to "Bobby Kotick"

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Winston fires Bobby Kotick into the Sun!

I refuse to believe that winston believes in, much less would willingly participate in capital punishment!!!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I refuse to believe that winston believes in, much less would willingly participate in capital punishment!!!

He's doing it for science

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
How meaty is the PvE portion meant to be? Because how is what amounts to a balance patch and minor lighting updates on maps meant to be a sequel? Wtf have they been doing for all this time, it's bizarre.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Wtf have they been doing for all this time, it's bizarre.

At this point the assumption is that they've been working on PvE and that it's supposed to be pretty meaty, and also they've been hampered by all the poo poo that's been going on inside Blizzard.

But who knows.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Imagine the shitstorm that ensues if the Microsoft purchase goes through and the new overlords decide to can OV2(either entirely or to start from scratch)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Imagine the shitstorm that ensues if the Microsoft purchase goes through and the new overlords decide to can OV2(either entirely or to start from scratch)

At this point would anyone care?

I mean, fucks given about the beta fell off in less then 48 hours.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

kedo posted:

Excuses aside, there seems to be very little interest in this game. Every online gaming community I keep track of has middling levels of OW2 discussion, especially when compared to other recent AAA betas in recent memory.

Anecdotally, I’ve talked to a few people about it who loved OW1 at launch, and the universal response is, “they’re making a sequel?”

Yeah, I was in that group. And didn't even hear about OW2 until a few weeks ago.

From the looks of it, it just seems very unlikely that this is the same group of people that made the original OW lineup, which was a good reimagining of the quake-to-TF2 transition with a broader cast and some slight MOBA-isms. And just a big emphasis on playability of the thing, where it was definitely one of the crisper feeling AAA shooters by a mile.

Nowadays, the supposed aesthetic rework in the other post all going more towards washed-out and generic rather than the saturated and cartoony look, the hidden sensitivity changes, the uninspired insistence on roles/role lock and taking 3 goddamn years to address even the most superficial symptom (shields) of the problems OW had just doesn't inspire confidence. I think game is ded for gud, in no small part to what is probably company internal politics necessitating this sort of tepid decision-making.

Edit: Not even Kotick-related politics, just that as soon as the OW = cash cow thing became more central (and boy howdy were those cosmetics and loot crates always a poo poo-rear end afterthought), the desire to have it be an honest shooter also evaporated in favor of pandering to the lowest denominator. It's just that in the age where gameplay serves as visual entertainment via Twitch as well as interactive entertainment for the player, approaches that make accessibility and fast reward their sole selling point aren't retaining crowds the way they used to. Even fairly niche or dated competitive games seem to draw larger crowds than "enforced casualness" games do these days.

They lost da money by hunting for da money.

Idiot Doom Spiral fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 8, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

drrockso20 posted:

Microsoft sees OW2 floundering and in its infinite magnanimity sends 343 over to help

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Pretty tepid take here but I'm enjoying the beta, and it's what I expect in terms of polish from something called a beta. This is significantly more fun than 2 shields and endless bullshit stuns. It probably shouldn't have taken this long to come out but :shrug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

OW2 is gonna be on Game Pass probably. I really hope Microsoft fuses their Xbox PC client with the BNet launcher too. gently caress the Xbox PC app so hard lol.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm sure the PvP of OW2 is going to be free to play with a battle pass system.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm sure the PvP of OW2 is going to be free to play with a battle pass system.

I was told/reminded if you own OW already, the OW2 PvP is going to replace OW1 so you get all the updates for free. You just have to pay for the PvE content. Guess that might change with the MS buyout though.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I hope the PVE is more than PVE is in OW1 where 90% of the content is just taking existing maps and putting incredibly dumb AI bots in it that can only run in a straight line and shoot at the nearest target, and playing on a higher difficulty only means the AI has better aim.

I REALLY hope this isn’t what OW2’s PVE is going to be, but I have a sneaking suspicion that’s exactly what it’s going to be.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
They did talk about their plans for PVE back at blizzcon 2021 which does make it sound like they're at least trying for a lot more than what PVE was in OW1. Hero talent trees, "hundreds of missions", pvp maps that get used in pve expanded or having new zones that open up. https://www.ign.com/articles/overwatch-2-at-blizzcon-2021-the-big-jeff-kaplan-interview

It sounds like they spent most of the dev time on pve and only rushed to get a pvp beta out now because the new Overwatch League season was supposed to be OW2 instead of OW1.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Infinite potential in PvE or even a campaign, feels likely to be squandered, but if they even just did the same lazy PvE that they did back in the day but filled it with strong banter and dopamine moments it would be enough.

Did they do something to elo? I'm trash even when I'm not back from a 5 year break, but I'm at like 2400 and they're saying it's my career high when way back I was around 2800. Seems weird.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Rating is a comparison to the rest of the community. If you haven't improved compared to the rest of the community, your rating will go down from where you were because the community improved and you haven't

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I cannot imagine why anyone would be excited for some PvE mode in this game. Now, a PvP mode where you get experience and talents within the game? Yes, please.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

What would the PvE mode even be? Does anyone at Blizzard even have experience designing/developing repeatable PvE modes anymore?

It’s a ridiculous question given that this is the company that makes WoW, but then I remember which company it is.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I cannot imagine why anyone would be excited for some PvE mode in this game. Now, a PvP mode where you get experience and talents within the game? Yes, please.

Lots of people don't like multiplayer. And sometimes you just wanna chill out and not play against people and use characters you normally wouldn't and not have people yelling at you about how you need to switch or about how bad you are.

Also people like the characters and wanna see story stuff with them.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
How could you have any interest in the characters if you don't like multiplayer? How would you have gotten tied to the characters in the first place? There are tons of modes to chill out in, I just don't get the whole beefy PvE mode in a game that was literally designed to be PvP. It's such a gross misallocation of resources, given that OWL is also a thing and that the game should have as many resources as possible focused on MP content and balance.

God, gently caress this poo poo company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mattavist posted:

What would the PvE mode even be? Does anyone at Blizzard even have experience designing/developing repeatable PvE modes anymore?

It’s a ridiculous question given that this is the company that makes WoW, but then I remember which company it is.

According to leaks, it was L4D with an Overwatch wrap. There's definitely a market for that, but given how B4B is still trying to find it's footing I'm not sure it's as easy as one might imagine.