Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
zelda 2 is nothing like a metroidvania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia is a Zelda 2 which replaces the world map with a level select map.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Just Andi Now posted:

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia is a Zelda 2 which replaces the world map with a level select map.

Yeah and it loving owns. Ecclesia is my fave castlevania

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hrist posted:

Okami would have been better if it was shorter.

Also Link Between Worlds is the forgotten Zelda, but still one of the best. Link's Awakening was my first, and it's probably the best overall. Plus that snes art style era Link is my favorite design. Not the sprite. Just the manual art they used for him in stuff like LA.

LBW is ridiculously good and so many 2d zelda likes have been coming out that are all worse versions of it

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Devorum posted:

Is there any chance that Trails in The Sky is going to come to Switch, or should I just expect to play it on Steam Deck?

I wouldn't say it's impossible but definitely not any time soon, so if you're going to get a Steam Deck you might as well play it on that.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Walla posted:

I bought it last year and it seems pretty good. I stopped playing for some reason a few hours in but that happens a lot.

At the start your just playing the admittedly slow and bad combat system, and I tap out there when I try to replay it.

A little bit further in you get to the meat of the game, which is Spaceship Inventory Tetris to minmax stats. Which sounds terrible, but is incredibly compelling. By the end you have a nigh invincible fleet with unmissable shots that instantly launches a wall of death dealing fighters which also earns you massive amounts of money just by traveling between planets. The combat system just exists to facilitate kerb stomping the enemy at that point.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't really get how localizing Mother 3 a decade later makes particularly any less business sense than localizing, say, Famicom Detective club, which has voice acting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Devorum posted:

Is there any chance that Trails in The Sky is going to come to Switch, or should I just expect to play it on Steam Deck?

Falcom only seems interested in porting older stuff that doesn't have an already existing western release so I wouldn't hold your breath

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't really get how localizing Mother 3 a decade later makes particularly any less business sense than localizing, say, Famicom Detective club, which has voice acting.

How do you localise the Magypsies without them coming across as an offensive depiction of transwomen? I know they are well loved, strong and compassionate characters, but just imagine genpop seeing the designs and dialogue out of context.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Not to mention that the term "gypsy" is a slur in itself.

Mother 3 is already very infamous among Nintendo fans and most who are interested in it enough have already gotten a hold of a fan translated and localized ROM. Otherwise games like Super Smash Bros (a series with Lucas in it) and Undertale/Deltarune (quirky/meta RPG) has already "filled the void" that could have been filled by an official Mother 3 release

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 7, 2022

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
In what way does smash bros fill a mother 3-shaped void

If the answer is just "Lucas is in it" then I'll pull this face

>=-/

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Sudden Javelin posted:

In what way does smash bros fill a mother 3-shaped void

If the answer is just "Lucas is in it" then I'll pull this face

>=-/

Smash Bros has a tendency to spoil a lot of plot points for a ton of different games. Secret identities, who ends up being killed off, who ends up surviving, stuff like that. Mother 3 is no exception despite most people not being able to play it officially.

But yeah, Lucas also being in it is also an answer.

>=-/

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just Andi Now posted:

Shanoa is the best and they do throw a decent-sized castle in at the end for good measure.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Zuzie posted:

Smash Bros has a tendency to spoil a lot of plot points for a ton of different games. Secret identities, who ends up being killed off, who ends up surviving, stuff like that. Mother 3 is no exception despite most people not being able to play it officially.

But yeah, Lucas also being in it is also an answer.

>=-/

I’ve played the single player content for every Smash Bros game and I have no idea what the plot of Mother 3 is lol. I couldn’t name another character other than Lucas, unless the cast of Earthbound is in Mother 3, which again I do not know from playing Smash Bros

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know one goon that wouldn't play subspace emissary before mother 3 was out because "it'll ruin the plot" and I still lol at that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bug Squash posted:

How do you localise the Magypsies without them coming across as an offensive depiction of transwomen? I know they are well loved, strong and compassionate characters, but just imagine genpop seeing the designs and dialogue out of context.

idk just release the thing i'm pretty sure nobody is going to throw a fit because of a game from like 2006 or something

and also even if they do who cares it's a re-release of a game from 2006

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 7, 2022

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Zuzie posted:

That's something the translator came up with. It's not just a reference to Roma people, but also famous burlesque performer Gypsy Rose Lee

The official Nintendo translation would have come up with something else with much less thought put into it, but they probably wouldn't accidentally put a racial slur in

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I’ve played the single player content for every Smash Bros game and I have no idea what the plot of Mother 3 is lol. I couldn’t name another character other than Lucas, unless the cast of Earthbound is in Mother 3, which again I do not know from playing Smash Bros

You forgot about bat kid? Sheesh

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zuzie posted:

Mother 3 is already very infamous among Nintendo fans and most who are interested in it enough have already gotten a hold of a fan translated and localized ROM. Otherwise games like Super Smash Bros (a series with Lucas in it) and Undertale/Deltarune (quirky/meta RPG) has already "filled the void" that could have been filled by an official Mother 3 release

Just do what disney does and give a warning that some elements may be old

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
mother 3 is better than undertale

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
undertale isn't an earthbound-like it's a SMT-like

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i got a swoled off an open box deal for ten percent off and my thots:

1) it's very slightly more annoying to reliably get it in the dock, not sure if it's just this one but i've been having it have to be jiggled a bit far more often than the normal switch

2) hollow knight looks so so so so so good on an OLED screen

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

zelda 2 is nothing like a metroidvania

zelda 2 is a metroidvania tip to toe just like it's contemporary castlevania 2

"2" great games imo

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Every second game is great cept dmc 2

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

undertale and deltarune are great but I don't really think they even remotely fill the Mother 3 niche

LISA does though

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1) it's very slightly more annoying to reliably get it in the dock, not sure if it's just this one but i've been having it have to be jiggled a bit far more often than the normal switch

I've had mine for a while, and haven't had that kind of dock issue. It has enough space to wiggle it forward or back a tiny bit, so the opening is wide enough. I think my original model switch was the same.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Earthbound needs to be remastered with claymation and old TV distortion/FX, especially when you get PSI'd

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I got mine here:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMzc29U

The price has gone up since, though. It used to be ten bucks cheaper

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just discovered this book of jazzy Mario music and I really want to become good enough to play these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcPMZCvzzzA

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Did somebody say “Jazzy Mario Music”?

https://youtu.be/LeJns-mql8s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CotqYivpqmw

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Oh that reminds me, the Super Mario Bros series also had a contentious second game. So much so that it wasn't released outside of Japan and they had to doll up a completely different game to be Super Mario Bros 2.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Spellman posted:

Earthbound needs to be remastered with claymation and old TV distortion/FX, especially when you get PSI'd

It would be amazing to see the whole game rendered in the promotional clay art they had for the game.

Hell, that's a style that just needs to make a return. Hylics 2 is the only recent claymation game I can think of.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Oh that reminds me, the Super Mario Bros series also had a contentious second game. So much so that it wasn't released outside of Japan and they had to doll up a completely different game to be Super Mario Bros 2.

The Japanese Mario 2 (which we more commonly know as “The Lost Levels”) was basically the original again only insanely difficult and with a bunch of new bonus worlds following 8-4

The west got the better deal honestly

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 7, 2022

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Odd Wilson posted:

It would be amazing to see the whole game rendered in the promotional clay art they had for the game.

Hell, that's a style that just needs to make a return. Hylics 2 is the only recent claymation game I can think of.

Yes, especially Earthbound NES because it's a little rough around the edges by modern standards, but is really cool otherwise

Of course, there's already a great demo for how this could work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OGSXeko-iY

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Even if an Earthbound remake used the engine from the Link's Awakening remake it would be loving rad.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zuzie posted:

the game did perfectly well in Japan but Nintendo of America thought the game was too difficult to do well in the American market.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Augus posted:

the game did perfectly well in Japan but Nintendo of America thought it was too hard for the American market.

American Mario 2 is better, Nintendo made a good decision.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spacebump posted:

American Mario 2 is better, Nintendo made a good decision.

theyre both good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
american mario 2 is better than lost levels in every way