Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
One walnut away from completion and the parrot is no longer telling us locations. Unfortunately switch so can’t look up which we are missing. Any guess about what this likely means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

tildes posted:

One walnut away from completion and the parrot is no longer telling us locations. Unfortunately switch so can’t look up which we are missing. Any guess about what this likely means?

Double check that you got all rewards from the Museum Tent. I find that's usually the case if there's no hint. Other than that make sure you hit the tree in Leo's hut with an axe. If those don't work go down the list on the wiki.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I installed SDExpanded and it just feels that friendships decay so much quicker, is that a setting or is it just because there's so many more people to try to keep in touch with?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't believe they decay faster in SDE.

I'd just talk to people once a day if you happen to pass them during your daily things. Make an effort to give birthday gifts out. Maybe do any fetch quests that reward friendship. You'll passively raise friendships even without giving them their twice-a-week gifts.

I wouldn't let it stress you. I don't think it's as fast as you're imagining. It's easy to feel that way early on when you don't have a lot of options for gifts.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 20, 2022

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

tinned owl posted:

I installed SDExpanded and it just feels that friendships decay so much quicker, is that a setting or is it just because there's so many more people to try to keep in touch with?

Alternatively, if you're using mods anyway, just install one that eliminates the friendship decay entirely, because it's dumb.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Unclouded posted:

Double check that you got all rewards from the Museum Tent. I find that's usually the case if there's no hint. Other than that make sure you hit the tree in Leo's hut with an axe. If those don't work go down the list on the wiki.

Thank you!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I need a new farming game and am thinking of trying either Sun Haven or Spirit of the Island. Anyone have opinions about either?

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
I have one silo and a crate next to it I put extra hay into. Sometimes the non-auto dispenser in the coop lets me pull out hundreds of extra hay to put in the chest and then I can run around collecting more for winter. Other times it lets me pull out only enough hay to put out for the animals and then no more. Does anyone know what is going on?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Elea posted:

I have one silo and a crate next to it I put extra hay into. Sometimes the non-auto dispenser in the coop lets me pull out hundreds of extra hay to put in the chest and then I can run around collecting more for winter. Other times it lets me pull out only enough hay to put out for the animals and then no more. Does anyone know what is going on?

It should let you pull out extra hay like you said it does sometimes, as long as you don't put any down. If you feed the animals first, you can't get more hay until they eat it.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
That's probably what I'm doing. Thanks.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Elea posted:

That's probably what I'm doing. Thanks.

Glad I could help. You can also put hay back into the same place you get it out of. You don't need to carry it all the way to wherever your silo is.

I usually tuck my silos out of the way somewhere. They're so tall that they obscure a lot of the map if I don't.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

LLSix posted:

Glad I could help. You can also put hay back into the same place you get it out of. You don't need to carry it all the way to wherever your silo is.

I usually tuck my silos out of the way somewhere. They're so tall that they obscure a lot of the map if I don't.

Think he's saying he empties his full solos to be able to fill them up again.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Pioneers of Olive Town, the latest Story of Seasons game is on sale through May 12th. Anyone have opinions about it?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

LLSix posted:

Pioneers of Olive Town, the latest Story of Seasons game is on sale through May 12th. Anyone have opinions about it?

I know it's kinda standard these days but that DLC model makes me feel really tired.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

HopperUK posted:

I know it's kinda standard these days but that DLC model makes me feel really tired.

I feel bad for the folks that bought it/the season pass because it was a massive scam.

LLSix posted:

The Switch version was a mess performance wise, I don't know about the PC version but I have to assume it runs better.

The writing is rough (so rough that they hired a new writer to write additional dialogue for characters after the negative reception at launch). It boasts hundreds of character events but a lot of them feel like nothing is actually happening, and the ones that do have something happening don't have the budget to show it off so all the action happens off screen. I guess compared to the 3DS games it's much easier to find character events without consulting a guide but, so that's something.

The game gives you a large farm area to decorate as you please but has substantially fewer decorations than the 3DS games, and also the farm serves as the wild area where you gather resources so trees and puddles and grass and other such resources are constantly spawning on the farm, so it always looks really ugly and cluttered. To make things more annoying, there's a big emphasis on using machines to process materials (so like Logs to Lumber, Ore to Ingots, Grass to Thread to Fabric), which takes up a lot of space too. And even if that sounds intriguing to you, you'd probably be better off picking up My Time At Sandrock Early Access coming at the end of this month.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hated the processors.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LLSix posted:

Meh.

They've supposedly fixed a lot of issues with the game (namely, you can load processors up so that they process more than one thing at a time), but it's just not that compelling. It doesn't really have any of the charm of any of the previous games, and while making stuff for the farm is kind of neat, and there's some interesting bits about optimizing production, I would not recommend the game.

I would put this far behind most every other game in the series, and it's especially galling because there are previous Story of Seasons games that actually got the production mechanism and ability to customize your farmland correct! They could seriously just have lifted Trio of Towns mechanics almost wholesale and updated it with a new coat of paint and had a wonderful game instead of a miserable pile of mediocrity.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I like harvest moon for the town best and olive town sucked for that because every towns persons dialogue was almost identical filler about the closest event. There was very little attention paid to writing that’s necessary for these games to work.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, for me that was one of my biggest issues with non RF4 farming sims. The character text felt way too repetitive for the longest time. I've got a mod now that adds extra character text and while I'm not sure how accurate it all is, it's nice to have it. Makes it a little more interesting when you're going around town chatting to people.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

LLSix posted:

I've been playing it and it's fun. This is the first HM/SoS game where I have too much to do in a day but I don't feel rushed either. I think the town and villagers are nice enough, I usually focus more on the other stuff though. I don't mind the processors, though I can imagine that back when you could only put in one thing at a time they were extremely frustrating.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

Yeah, for me that was one of my biggest issues with non RF4 farming sims. The character text felt way too repetitive for the longest time. I've got a mod now that adds extra character text and while I'm not sure how accurate it all is, it's nice to have it. Makes it a little more interesting when you're going around town chatting to people.

Is this a mod for pioneers of olive town? Can you link it if so?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Has anyone here played Traveller's Rest? Definitely knock off stardew vibes but looks chill

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Has anyone here played Traveller's Rest? Definitely knock off stardew vibes but looks chill

If you don't mind the art, I found it surprisingly fun.

There's a limited amount of time you can stay open each day, so I found that a little tense. The first few days may seem slow, but it ramps up in a very natural way until you've got more than enough to keep you constantly busy.

The dev has been continuously updating it, which is pretty cool. Lots of new stuff to do.

The main gameplay loop is a bit different from SV. You are playing as a bar-owner (later a restaurant, later an inn). There is farming, and it is profitable, but by the time you unlock it, farming doesn't save you that much money compared to just buying ingredients, so you can skip the farm if you want to. Actually, I think you can buy everything except drinks if you want to, so it's kind of like SV in that you can ignore any subsystems you want to and just buy the end result instead.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 12, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Cool, I was a little off put by the people designs, but I need something fresh to get my Stardew fix lol. It's a few bucks off right now so maybe I'll talk myself into it.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Is anyone playing little witch in the woods? It's steam early access right now and caught my eye

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Steam page says it currently has 5 hours of content and it's final release will have 20 hours of content.

Ehhh.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
From what I saw of it being streamed, it's far more a long adventure game (cute conversations, make item X to solve problem Y). Which might scratch a similar itch, but feels like a different genre of game.

On a similar note, did anyone actually play Picontier on release? The steam reviews seemed to all be "The EA was promising, but the game is meh."

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

a7m2 posted:

Is this a mod for pioneers of olive town? Can you link it if so?

Sorry, this was a mod for Stardew Valley.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

How do y’all generally feel about Graveyard Keeper? Seems like an odd bird that might be my thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Badly made

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It’s fiiine. Little awkwardness here and there just from being Russian made and translated. Mechanics are strange and you do gross things rather than cute farming things. It doesn’t have the same gameplay loop of making friends and managing crops or anything. It’s more like making the most use of the corpses you get and managing little quest lines.

I put just under 60 hours in the base game with maybe some tavern DLC.

SteamDB says it goes on sale for 5 or 10 bucks pretty frequently and it’s been a bit of a long time since the last one. I think that’s a good price for trying it out.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 28, 2022

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
I've completed the base game for GY Keeper and I do not recommend it. Not unless you're really pining for a grounds keeping simulator, or find it for cheap.

The world is dull and lifeless. Characters are threadbare, few are likable. Minimal variety of gameplay loops, so it seems monotonous and grindy. I felt like two music tracks played through the entire game. The pixel art is good, and that's about all the praise I have for it.

Stardew has really spoiled us with these types of games.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

KKKLIP ART posted:

How do y’all generally feel about Graveyard Keeper? Seems like an odd bird that might be my thing.

I have enjoyed Graveyard Keeper. But it's not very considerate of player time, if that's an issue.

Also just look up alchemy unless you really love doing the figuring out combinations thing.

It's the kind of comedy where almost everyone is at least slightly horrible person (which fits into some symbolism)

Admittedly I think I had a better time of it than some people because I never fell into the trap of caring about the graveyard which never adds that much to your church income it feels like. Put in flower beds and stuff, cremate all your corpses, focus on XP and your actual quests.

tl;dr Alright, but grindy. Wait for a sale.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

DarkLich posted:

I've completed the base game for GY Keeper and I do not recommend it. Not unless you're really pining for a grounds keeping simulator, or find it for cheap.

The world is dull and lifeless. Characters are threadbare, few are likable. Minimal variety of gameplay loops, so it seems monotonous and grindy. I felt like two music tracks played through the entire game. The pixel art is good, and that's about all the praise I have for it.

I agree with all of this. Graveyard Keeper is a hateful game where events that will absolutely kneecap you are intermixed with events that are helpful. Some events that are helpful in the longterm also create immediate setbacks that can throw you into downward spirals that are difficult to recover from unless you already know what you are doing. The most notable example is there is one very expensive item that is hinted at throughout the game as being essential, and when you buy it, it triggers an event that kills you. That's all it does. It kills you and wastes your money. The developer thought this was "funny" and "a good joke" and left it in. I pushed through and finished it, but at no point did I consider it a good or fun way to spend time.

If you're looking for something similar to SV but different, I'd suggest either My Time at Portia or Traveller's Rest. Portia has you play as the town carpenter. It has some rough edges but well over 100 hours of content. Traveller's Rest is a fun game where you play as the inn-keeper (no named npcs or dating sim elements) if you can tolerate the art.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I can think of at least 2 events fairly early on that can dead srop your progress and make it super hard to continue if you don't know about them.

I also can't imagine playing it without a sprint mod that makes you run twice as fast but drains energy. My dude would eat like 20 carrot cutlets a day but without it I have no idea how you would finish the dungeon.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I think people here like littlewood. There's a game called Apico that looks cute like LW and good.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Littlewood is pretty bare gameplay.

If anything comes close to Stardew, it’s definitely Portia.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

DarkLich posted:

Yeah pretty much. Trying similar games just makes it more apparent how well-made Stardew Valley is.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

LLSix posted:

I agree with all of this. Graveyard Keeper is a hateful game where events that will absolutely kneecap you are intermixed with events that are helpful. Some events that are helpful in the longterm also create immediate setbacks that can throw you into downward spirals that are difficult to recover from unless you already know what you are doing. The most notable example is there is one very expensive item that is hinted at throughout the game as being essential, and when you buy it, it triggers an event that kills you. That's all it does. It kills you and wastes your money. The developer thought this was "funny" and "a good joke" and left it in. I pushed through and finished it, but at no point did I consider it a good or fun way to spend time.

If you're looking for something similar to SV but different, I'd suggest either My Time at Portia or Traveller's Rest. Portia has you play as the town carpenter. It has some rough edges but well over 100 hours of content. Traveller's Rest is a fun game where you play as the inn-keeper (no named npcs or dating sim elements) if you can tolerate the art.

I got pretty far in the game and didn't have this experience. The game is set up so that as you build up the church and graveyard, your income grows at such a crazy rate that setbacks never seem to matter.

The game has a nice dopamine loop, but it is very dreary. It's half by design and half just uninspired. The jokes landed for me, but I couldn't care about anyone and building up my house and church didn't really feel good like it does in Stardew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

My Time At Sandrock is great! Better than Portia already