Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Timby posted:

Yeah, the "joke" was that Lily is a lovely artist but her work is weirdly calming to animals.

That's even like the middle of the show and I could see being taken as a kind of problematic joke resolution. But by the end of the series she's becomes an art dealer and if I recall correctly is actually the primary earner with Marshall following his dream to do environmental law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I guess, but he still pressed the issue while knowing it would blow up her current life because it was what he wanted.

The writers in general did Pam so dirty. Her big fear while she was with Roy was that she’d amount to nothing and only ever be a secretary. Then she marries Jim, eventually has to give up on her art dreams and becomes… an office admin… who then has to give up that job to placate her husband chasing his own dream job.

Definitely. She does get to do the same sort of thing to Jim later on when he is with Karen, so in a beautiful way, they both get to drag each other down. You're right though that she sacrifices much more and gets dealt the worse hands. Even his proposal is manipulative and self-serving. He didn't seem interested in moving to New York to be closer to where she's going to school. He proposes after there's someone else sniffin up her tree and encouraging her to stay and pursue her art ambitions. He makes her meet him halfway and proposes so she doesn't end up crushing on someone else while she gets better at art. it was also pretty wild once he suddenly becomes a sports boy and starts trying to become idk freelance espn or whatever the gently caress business, there's just not even a thought given to maybe hooking her up w a job or including her in any way. not advocating for nepotism or working with your spouse at same job, but given their entire relationship has always been centered on working together, him ditching the office for his own work, where he also travels and is absent on the home portion of life - pretty colossal uprooting of a relationship basic circumstance.

Everyone on the show are some kind of lovely, but Jim's is the most mundane and grounded, realistic kind of shittiness when it comes to relationship with Pam. It's Looney Tunes with Dwight, but with Pam you could do a Jim Can gently caress Himself treatment.

Jim might make the top 5 biggest assholes in the office if Andy didn't take up all the spots.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Andy is a rich entitled prick, but I can’t recall anything he does actively destroying someone else’s life for his own gain. The closest is probably self-destructing his own relationship to get with Erin and then abandoning her for months.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Andy is a rich entitled prick, but I can’t recall anything he does actively destroying someone else’s life for his own gain. The closest is probably self-destructing his own relationship to get with Erin and then abandoning her for months.

At one point Andy joins Dwight's campaign to end Jim (which makes him a douchebag looking to hurt another douchebag), and he's also an entitled prick in his pursuit of Angela.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

That's even like the middle of the show and I could see being taken as a kind of problematic joke resolution. But by the end of the series she's becomes an art dealer and if I recall correctly is actually the primary earner with Marshall following his dream to do environmental law.

Lily gets hired by the Commodore to be his art buyer, and they're about to move to Rome for a year when Marshall gets an out of nowhere offer to become a judge. which I'm pretty sure he downs so he can spend the year with Lily.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Erin got done dirty by the writers too. Pass between a forced relationship with Gabe, to another problematic one with andy (and they really seemed to think we'd all find it super cute). They stuck her with plop in the end, kinda? I've never seen anyone offer pushback on Andy being terrible and I hate him so much I don't even care to argue the case through recalling andy's worst moments. I think late-season andy heavy episodes are the only ones I genuinely don't like at all and just skip.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I think late-season andy heavy episodes are the only ones I genuinely don't like at all and just skip.

Hard same. They aren’t even good just pure cringe throughout.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The Office ended on Will Ferrell's final episode.

*SLAM DUNK*

"The Doctor is in!"

FADE TO BLACK

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I am glad I watch Shining Girls past the very network tv-ish first episode. It's pretty cool so far. Jamie Bell just oozes creep (which shouldn't be surprising if you heard what he said about FKA Twig's abuse lawsuit against Shia Labouf).

CV 64 Fan fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 8, 2022

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Jamie Bell is excellent in this but really the whole cast is so far. What did he say?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Jamie Bell is excellent in this but really the whole cast is so far. What did he say?

Christ I got it all wrong. It's not FKA Twigs, it's Evan Rachel Wood. He cast doubt on her story about Marilyn Manson threatening their son and said that it "defies credibility". Wood also revealed that he would victim blame her when she tried to discuss her abuse.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I started watching "The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey", and I am pleasantly surprised that it is basically turning into Flowers for Algernon with memory instead of intelligence. The plot is a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. Walton Goggins has invented a drug that cures dementia but only for about four weeks. Samuel L. Jackson must use this brief respite to figure out who killed his nephew.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fringe season 3 finale: A grim alternate future where Astrid decides to get a mullet.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Khanstant posted:

I'm with you except those feelings weren't unreciprocated. I think Superstore handled it's jim-pam romance drama much better. Their Pam even gets pregnant with her ex husband before she first has premarital sex with the Jim.

Having not been able to watch past season 1 of The Office, but absolutely loving Superstore I have to ask, do we get to see much of the home life of everyone in the office? Something I really liked in Superstore was that we got a lot of glimpses of what everyone's life was like when they clocked out as the seasons went by.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aces High posted:

Having not been able to watch past season 1 of The Office, but absolutely loving Superstore I have to ask, do we get to see much of the home life of everyone in the office? Something I really liked in Superstore was that we got a lot of glimpses of what everyone's life was like when they clocked out as the seasons went by.

Little to none other than Michael, Dwight, or Jim/Pam in the later seasons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We get a fair bit of the home life of the Office even if that’s often in how intertwined their home lives become with their work lives. But we see a lot of Michael and Pam and Jim in particular and a couple of the most notable episodes are after work parties. But the main show focus never shifts.

I feel like there was more home stuff in the Office than Superstore. But I dunno.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Well like I said I gave up on The Office after 1 season, I didn't find it that funny and Jim gave me vibes of "this dude is the hero and is always right" even though I just saw him as a giant tool.

Superstore immediately makes Jonah a tool who, for all his smarts, can't seem to grasp how to do menial tasks and makes him the butt of lots of the jokes. I guess I liked that more because that struck me as something more realistic.

That or I identify with a blue-collar, working-class setting more than the white-collar Office setting :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

Well like I said I gave up on The Office after 1 season, I didn't find it that funny and Jim gave me vibes of "this dude is the hero and is always right" even though I just saw him as a giant tool.

Superstore immediately makes Jonah a tool who, for all his smarts, can't seem to grasp how to do menial tasks and makes him the butt of lots of the jokes. I guess I liked that more because that struck me as something more realistic.

That or I identify with a blue-collar, working-class setting more than the white-collar Office setting :shrug:

The first season was notoriously bad and there was a huge upgrade in the second. Not that I'm saying you should go watch it or anything, just that if I'd only seen the first season and then it became a beloved classic sitcom, I'd think everyone was suffering from mass psychosis. It was a very different show from Season 2 on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, to be fair the first season of The Office is still trying to distinguish itself from the original show (even while doing some of the same episode concepts).

Parks and Rec, fittingly, also had such a terrible first season that people will outright tell you to skip it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah both The Office and P&R have instant, huge upgrades in 2x01. I’d say give it just one more episode.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Aces High posted:

Jonah is a much better tool/punching-bag in that regard and I can't imagine you'd ever like Jim over him. I think there's also a kind of generational divide, on top of the class divide of the folks in their respective workplaces. Jonah if he were in the office would've been anachronistic I think. Like, Office is a show where they still had some gay panic jokes and a lil arc about not wanting to use blackberries.

I'd almost want you to watch through The Office just to see you see all the "Superstore" beats in it. I didn't start Superstore till it was nearly over but I had seen office a thousand times by then and it was interesting to see them do various "office" things or archetypes but in a newer form. For the most part I think they swerved on most of them and usually did em better in Superstore. I watched some of American Auto curious to see how much pulls through there but at this point cannot remember almost anything about it at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Office takes down Jim from time to time and shows he’s not as smart as he thinks he is. But you are supposed to mostly relate to his and Pam’s “normal person” perspective to the wacky world. So yeah if you don’t like him it’s probably a chore. It’s definitely not the same as Jonah on Superstore. He’s kind of roasted early and often and Amy is much more of the audience surrogate, or it’s just spread more evenly.

The Office definitely evolves though. I never liked the first season at all but they tweak stuff and find more of a balance between the smug/cringe/mean stuff and something that’s actually enjoyable to watch regularly. And it’s definitely the training ground where Superstore and the other shows all got their stuff kind of worked out in, sometimes clumsily.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Office one of those shows I love but it's just easy to talk poo poo on. I even like the later seasons, I meant it when it's just the late-season Andy-dominant episodes I usually just skip on rewatches. Fortunately he was off doing hangovers pretty often so got breaks from him even though the plots would still be heavily informed by his conspicuous absence. His character was bad choice for manager and michael replacement, I think the cast and production really loved him and he was the biggest star at that point, but yeesh Andy sucks and not in the funny ways by the end. There's even an episode where they show how nobody in his family respects or really loves him and you're meant to feel bad for Andy in the end and hate his family but I kind of felt like why didn't they all call an audible and just bury him alive in the tent.

I definitely like the Spitzer style, will check out American Auto again once it's had a few seasons. I've never worked in a 90-00s style office before, never worked retail, but auto exec workplace is definitely the biggest stretch for me.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Has anyone bothered with The Pentaverate? I don't have any hope about it, but I like Keegan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched a couple of episode of American Auto but didn’t really take to it. Maybe just that corporate thing being foreign to me or maybe I just didn’t stick with it long enough. I enjoyed Abbot Elementary and Welcome to Flatch more and checked both half expecting them to be Schur shows. I guess that style is just the predominant vibe these days.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr. Nemo posted:

Has anyone bothered with The Pentaverate? I don't have any hope about it, but I like Keegan.

The only thing I've seen of it is the Shrek cameo which does not exactly make me want to watch it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Conversely that makes me morbidly curious.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mr. Nemo posted:

it's really bad

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's Mike Meyers firing on all his rusty cylinders to play 5 characters he can't be cancelled or remembered for.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched the first episode and it was really poo poo. Basically what you expect

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait, is the show based on that throwaway gag in So I Married and Axe Murderer?

Is Colonel Sanders in it?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Mr. Nemo posted:

And do they address why the title doesn't even make sense?
Pentaverate is NOT the word for rule by five guys. It's half Greek, half misspelled Latin.
The correct word would be Quintumvirate.

Or are the people who wrote this even stupider than the people who are supposed to watch it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ

https://youtu.be/YKRFlNryaWw

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

EricBauman posted:

Pentaverate is NOT the word for rule by five guys. It's half Greek, half misspelled Latin.

Or are the people who wrote this even stupider than the people who are supposed to watch it?

It's a comedy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Nemo posted:

https://twitter.com/Johnny13/status/1523016650135523338

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

The Office takes down Jim from time to time and shows he’s not as smart as he thinks he is. But you are supposed to mostly relate to his and Pam’s “normal person” perspective to the wacky world. So yeah if you don’t like him it’s probably a chore. It’s definitely not the same as Jonah on Superstore. He’s kind of roasted early and often and Amy is much more of the audience surrogate, or it’s just spread more evenly.

The Office definitely evolves though. I never liked the first season at all but they tweak stuff and find more of a balance between the smug/cringe/mean stuff and something that’s actually enjoyable to watch regularly. And it’s definitely the training ground where Superstore and the other shows all got their stuff kind of worked out in, sometimes clumsily.

Sounds like I should at least try The Office again starting in season 2. That's fair

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh yeah, totally. I think of all The Office (US) clones out there, the only one I like is Superstore, because the show is pretty straightforward about a) the store environment being fundamentally horrible, and b) a lot of the characters are miserable, poor, and stuck without better prospects -- probably forever.

This is why Abbot Elementary, which is another office clone, is so good because it’s a direct and insightful critique of the education system.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Is this supposed to NOT make me watch this show?

EricBauman posted:

I actually watched part of the first episode and it was bad, but not as bad as this post about a comedy show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EricBauman posted:

they address that title, they did a joke about it. you should check it out you might really like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Maybe I'm just that dumb, but I laughed at "thanks Shrek." "you're welcome, laddie."