Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Went to Ģertrūdes 6, we have a kitchen there run by Ukrainian refugees. Food was decent (borsch good, pancakes forgettable, bread had an odd beer-like taste), live music was very good. A bit difficult to yell Слава Украине! while you’re eating.

I think they also did open a second shop at the Āgenskalna tirgus today.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I'm going to Riga in July, will check it out. In the meantime, the Latvian oddity of political alliance ZZS (agrarians + greens) has fallen apart. I'm too lazy to check, but I assume they will join a new alliance of backroom/hunter lodge deal guys

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

I'm going to Riga in July, will check it out. In the meantime, the Latvian oddity of political alliance ZZS (agrarians + greens) has fallen apart. I'm too lazy to check, but I assume they will join a new alliance of backroom/hunter lodge deal guys

Yeah was just opening this thread to post that. LZP-LRA-Liepājas partija are forming an apvienība, Kučinskis appears to be the boss. I wonder what happens now to LZS and Latvijai un Ventspilij - I guess they can continue to zombie on as Lembergs shills.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Do we have any Georgians? I'm ending up in the land of the Golden fleece for a bit. I only speak English and Russian, so it's going to be interesting to see how their ESL is there as I don't wanna get stabbed to death and don't know how well I can pick up the martian dialect of sumerian. Will post khachapuri

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FishBulbia posted:

Do we have any Georgians? I'm ending up in the land of the Golden fleece for a bit. I only speak English and Russian, so it's going to be interesting to see how their ESL is there as I don't wanna get stabbed to death and don't know how well I can pick up the martian dialect of sumerian. Will post khachapuri

I have a couple of friends from Belarus who currently live in Georgia. Literally zero issues so far. One saw a group of Russians who behaved like poo poo at a store, and the owner refused to speak anything bug Georgian with them, but that's about it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Our greens and agrarians are the same party, and they only care about property values of rich Latvian-speaking rural landlords. Therefore it is Latvian Greens, for instance, who are the primary instigators behind forever wars against wind energy, and now this as well. Obviously they have reasons to not like gas, but that’s really not what is happening here.

for a country with several national dishes of grey peas, you'd think they'd be more accepting of gas

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Watching Russians in Georgia on YouTube, it seems that communicating is not an issue, though you will get asked about your stance regarding Putin and if you answer wrong, things will happen, I assume. Dunno, no one has actually tried saying they support him.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

https://twitter.com/pashkasu/status/1522622574840193028

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

FishBulbia posted:

english is largely fine for day to day stuff, it's a country that runs on tourism money and has a language nobody else speaks; english is a necessity. Russian is in the weird position like many post-Soviet states where younger people are less and less likely to speak it, but it was also pretty widely available.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Edit woops this is the wrong thread .

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 7, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Uncanny

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

cinci zoo sniper posted:

bread had an odd beer-like taste
That'll be sourdough bread.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OzyMandrill posted:

That'll be sourdough bread.

Sourdough bread is incredibly popular in Latvia, and this tasted nothing like what we make customarily. That said, we only bake rye sourdough bread traditionally, which has a hint of sourness to it, whereas this was wheat bread. Still, I’d expect wheat sourdough bread to have a hint of sour taste to it, rather than tasting like someone soaked wheat bread in pale lager and let it dry out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sourdough bread is incredibly popular in Latvia, and this tasted nothing like what we make customarily. That said, we only bake rye sourdough bread traditionally, which has a hint of sourness to it, whereas this was wheat bread. Still, I’d expect wheat sourdough bread to have a hint of sour taste to it, rather than tasting like someone soaked wheat bread in pale lager and let it dry out.

Yeah, wheat sourdough tastes nothing like beer unless it's made really, really wrong.

Source: I live in California, the sourdough capital of the Americas.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pampushka

So, this is what I had, apparently, and scanning recipes diagonally a fair few of them involve sourdough. There was some unidentified “sauce” on the bread (face down, not seen on the photo). I wonder if that could have been some kind of garlic jam experiment gone horribly wrong, contributing more to the taste than I thought it does.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 7, 2022

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Ah, I thought they looked like chunks from a kolach, which I'm trying to learn how to make atm.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So, this is what I had, apparently, and scanning recipes diagonally a fair few of them involve sourdough. There was some unidentified “sauce” on the bread (face down, not seen on the photo). I wonder if that could have been some kind of garlic jam experiment gone horribly wrong, contributing more to the taste than I thought it does.

I immediately knew these are “pampuchy” in Polish and that I must have had them at some point in my life, but for the life of me I have no idea when and if I actually did. I never saw them on sale anywhere in Poland that I can recall. Your post brought this out of some dark recess of my mind (possibly PTSD). Maybe my grandfather, who grew up in Ukraine, made them for us when we were kids :iiam:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

maybe they just really messed up the amount of yeast or the proofing time and overdid the yeast-y, beer-y flavor

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Different yeasts yield wildly different breads. I've used yeasts that produced really intense beer-y smells to the bread and, hell, there's a non-zero chance someone actually used a beer or wine yeast by mistake, too.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Mokotow posted:

I immediately knew these are “pampuchy” in Polish and that I must have had them at some point in my life, but for the life of me I have no idea when and if I actually did. I never saw them on sale anywhere in Poland that I can recall. Your post brought this out of some dark recess of my mind (possibly PTSD). Maybe my grandfather, who grew up in Ukraine, made them for us when we were kids :iiam:

Wait, really? They sell pampuchy everywhere in Poland.

Edit: looking at the picture again that thing looks nothing like the pampuchy/kluski na parze I've seen, more like some sort of chałka.

szary fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 8, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Different yeasts yield wildly different breads. I've used yeasts that produced really intense beer-y smells to the bread and, hell, there's a non-zero chance someone actually used a beer or wine yeast by mistake, too.

Wouldn't a beery taste come more from malted barley, possibly hops but malt would be likelier in a bread? Especially since sourdough uses wild yeasts so there's no way to select a specific strand.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Sourdough starters are maintained and actively selected for. You don't roll the lottery each time you bake bread.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Also depends on how the starter is maintained. A dry starter has very little smell, but I use a wet starter. It gets fed every so often, and you can either pour off the grey vinegary/beery 'hooch' or mix it back in to get stronger flavour. (I'm pouring off tho). The bread itself can be up to 1/3 starter, which could give some serious flavour if the starter is old. We're putting up a family so I want to make something to welcome and show that not all uk bread is tasteless machine crap. Not sure I'll go for a full on beer flavour tho...

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That's only if you use the starter directly. Another traditional way of doing it is to take some starter and flour to make a pre-dough, which in turn gets mixed into the main dough after the yeast has multiplied to its maximum (i.e. the dough is deflating again). That way the age of the starter is irrelevant and you get very consistent results.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

szary posted:

Wait, really? They sell pampuchy everywhere in Poland.

Edit: looking at the picture again that thing looks nothing like the pampuchy/kluski na parze I've seen, more like some sort of chałka.

From Wikipedia: Prepared, uncooked pampuchy can be generally bought in most grocery shops in Poland.

:captainpop: I have nothing to say for myself, except that maybe I have a severe case of brainworms.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Wouldn't a beery taste come more from malted barley, possibly hops but malt would be likelier in a bread? Especially since sourdough uses wild yeasts so there's no way to select a specific strand.

Nah there's a specific smell of yeast fermenting carbohydrates that is the main smell people associate with beer before even getting into specific grains or flavorants.

Also yeah, the other replies also hit the other major speculative ways you might end up with beery tasting bread eg overfermented dough or some seriously funky starter or unusual grains in the flour or so on. idk though I haven't been really into baking bread in like 15 years so I'm probably forgetting stuff

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Is that from HoMM3??

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Is that from HoMM3??

Yes, Rampart settlement.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1523626962412965888

Nani the gently caress.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

I am a Belarusian living in Georgia for 6 months. EN and RU are the most common non local languages here, so dont worry.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

His post today about it was something else.

I've also just noticed that he's wearing a blue jacket next to her in yellow. I wonder if it's intentional. Hope he doesn't suddenly 'commit suicide' like the Polish border guard deserter some time ago.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Quick request - is there anyone in Eastern Poland area who can PM me and give some local advice about travelling from Lviv to an airport in Poland? I'm struggling to work out what trains are even running.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

PMs but for anyone else interested, there’s a list if trains running between PL and UA. Travel for Ukrainian citizens is free on Polish Rail in 2nd class.

More info:

https://www.intercity.pl/pl/site/o-...9%20w%20Medyce.

https://www.intercity.pl/pl/pomagamukrainie/

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

https://rozklad-pkp.pl/en/
you can serach for trains here. Seems like Przemyśl is the main transfer hub. The closest airport is in Rzeszów, but it's small and has limited routes. Looks like it has routes only to Warsaw and London. So next (probably better) choice would be to go Lviv-Przemyśl-Warsaw.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

alex314 posted:

https://rozklad-pkp.pl/en/
you can serach for trains here. Seems like Przemyśl is the main transfer hub. The closest airport is in Rzeszów, but it's small and has limited routes. Looks like it has routes only to Warsaw and London. So next (probably better) choice would be to go Lviv-Przemyśl-Warsaw.

You forgot about Eastern Poland Lublin

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

What's even funnier is I've visited Lublin a couple of times, and drove past Rzeszów maybe twice. Never used plane though, waaaay too much hassle considering IC can be not poo poo on some routes.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

To be fair, it’s an old military field way out in the boonies with nary a train connection.

Honestly, just go to Warsaw if you can, all/most the trains from UA go there anyway.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Do people actually watch Eurovision? I just learned that apparently there are semi finals, and I haven't even heard they are going on so far.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

Do people actually watch Eurovision? I just learned that apparently there are semi finals, and I haven't even heard they are going on so far.

Yeah. I think it's post-ironic at this point for many, but it's a good enough excuse to gather a small party at your home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Xarn posted:

Do people actually watch Eurovision?

tell me you're straight without telling me you're straight