Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I think the general public might have some issues with some of the events of MoM, but for a comics reader its really par for the course. They do and un-do stuff like that all the time, so much so that none of it bothered me in the slightest.

They could totally do a "we grabbed young Tony Stark from the past because adult Tony died but oh no he's acutally Kang" and that wouldn't phase me really, I've already read that book. (yeah I think thats two stories combined guys)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Between this and Wandavision Elizabeth Olsen has become the MVP of the MCU.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arist posted:

I don't get these takes that they somehow "did Wanda dirty" unless the problem is that they made her a villain at all, which is, sorry, kind of a dumb complaint. The willingness to have Wanda, a character people care about, actually be full-on, homicidally wrong is one of the most interesting things about the movie. Maybe this isn't what you thought would happen from the end of WandaVision, but that's more a problem with that show (one of many with its ending, I might add). WV never properly reckoned with the actions of Wanda, and this movie actually does. Furthermore, it's not unbelievable or contrived at all by the standards of this franchise. We last saw her reading an evil book to get her children back, which is exactly where we return to her. There's also a lot of really interesting stuff for Olsen to chew on in her scenes, so it's not even like the actress is being underserved.

e: I do understand people being, on some level, disappointed by or not happy with the way they use the character, but to me this is honestly exactly the shot in the arm the MCU has been needing lately.

and I mean, it was pretty clear in Wandavision that she was essentially a borderline villain there. We just get more that here, and the film makes it very clear that the Darkhold corrupts people and that was exactly what happened to her. I don't see this idea of her being more of a villain in MoM being anything but a natural extension of where the character was at the end of WandaVision. She was determined to get her kids back no matter the cost. She took control of an entire town to do it in that show, so her killing people and being willing to kill others to get what she wanted is not really a reach.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I hope that Olsen comes back (and that certainly seemed like a "you haven't seen the last of me" death) because as much as going nuts is a big part of Wanda's character, so is her redemption and she deserves that

My only 2 real complaints were

1.I really hate them explicitly calling the MCU 616. I know they've kind of half mentioned it and I know it absolutely does not matter in the grand scheme of things, but I really wish they hadn't done that

2.Needed more Stranges. We get 2 minutes of Defenders Strange so that we can get a body, then a short fight with Evil Strange. I would have liked 1 or 2 other variants in there

But it was really great seeing My boy Blackagar and I hope they use him again, but if not least we got to see him do cool poo poo in a great costume

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

FlamingLiberal posted:

and I mean, it was pretty clear in Wandavision that she was essentially a borderline villain there. We just get more that here, and the film makes it very clear that the Darkhold corrupts people and that was exactly what happened to her. I don't see this idea of her being more of a villain in MoM being anything but a natural extension of where the character was at the end of WandaVision. She was determined to get her kids back no matter the cost. She took control of an entire town to do it in that show, so her killing people and being willing to kill others to get what she wanted is not really a reach.
Uh...it kinda is? There's such a wide stretch between "hurting people accidentally to get what you want" and "murdering a lot of people on purpose, in order to murder a child, in order to get what you want" that the only thing that could explain it is demonic corruption. Which, fine, the movie does make it clear that the Darkhold is a big factor here, but we still stepped from "accidental possession" to "child murder" pretty much offscreen. She'll do anything to get her family back in this film, but last we saw her she literally let go of her family in a tearjerking farewell in order to not hurt innocent people anymore. It's a big change that also takes the complex emotional nuance shown in WandaVision and, by necessity, boils it down to bad magic book bad.

I do like seeing Wanda as the villain here and perhaps this was the least cumbersome way to do it, but it is a big course "correction" from WandaVision, while somehow still having her end up just about in the same space when all was said and done. Last time she learned it was wrong to hurt people on accident. This time she learned it was wrong to...hurt people on purpose?

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 7, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BrianWilly posted:

Uh...it kinda is? There's such a wide stretch between "hurting people accidentally to get what you want" and "murdering a lot of people on purpose, in order to murder a child, in order to get what you want" that the only thing that could explain it is demonic corruption. Which, fine, the movie does make it clear that the Darkhold is a big factor here, but we still stepped from "accidental possession" to "child murder" pretty much offscreen. It's a big change that also takes the complex emotional nuance shown in WandaVision and, by necessity, boils it down to bad magic book bad.

I do like seeing Wanda as the villain here and perhaps this was the least cumbersome way to do it, but it is a big course "correction" from WandaVision, while somehow still having her end up just about in the same space when all was said and done. Last time she learned it was wrong to hurt people on accident. This time she learned it was wrong to...hurt people on purpose?

I feel like the problem here isn't Wanda, it's that you're looking at character arcs through an incredibly boring and moralistic lens.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

Uh...it kinda is? There's such a wide stretch between "hurting people accidentally to get what you want" and "murdering a lot of people on purpose, in order to murder a child, in order to get what you want" that the only thing that could explain it is demonic corruption. Which, fine, the movie does make it clear that the Darkhold is a big factor here, but we still stepped from "accidental possession" to "child murder" pretty much offscreen. It's a big change that also takes the complex emotional nuance shown in WandaVision and, by necessity, boils it down to bad magic book bad.

It was really stupid and mean. hell,for some reason killing Chavez was the only option people kept coming up with. Defenders strange, wanda, and even Wong at the end. By the end, even Chavez was like gently caress it just kill me I guess. Strange having his epiphany from everyone else being lovely while simultaneously being lovely himself kinda deflated the entire conflict. Hell even his own corruption / third eye was immediately downplayed by him going gently caress yeah let’s stop some incursions to clea.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Arist posted:

I feel like the problem here isn't Wanda, it's that you're looking at character arcs through an incredibly boring and moralistic lens.
I disagree! In fact, I believe the film looks at Wanda through an incredibly boring and moralistic lens and have explained why.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

One thing I did miss Who was that statue of in the Baxter building? Carter?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Opopanax posted:

One thing I did miss Who was that statue of in the Baxter building? Carter?
I didn't get a great look at it. It might have been Captain Marvel

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

GotG3 just finished filming. Gunn also confirmed that the Disney+ Guardians Holiday Special is also completed.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1522993679962718210?s=20&t=oS2tbp3_kr7rt7cdv9nMEw

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BrianWilly posted:

She'll do anything to get her family back in this film, but last we saw her she literally let go of her family in a tearjerking farewell in order to not hurt innocent people anymore.
Well, no, that's not true. The last we saw her, she was reading something literally called The Book of the Damned to try and get her kids back. Which didn't seem like a very good idea at the time, either.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I didn't get a great look at it. It might have been Captain Marvel

Yeah, pretty sure that was Carol

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

BrianWilly posted:

Uh...it kinda is? There's such a wide stretch between "hurting people accidentally to get what you want" and "murdering a lot of people on purpose, in order to murder a child, in order to get what you want" that the only thing that could explain it is demonic corruption. Which, fine, the movie does make it clear that the Darkhold is a big factor here, but we still stepped from "accidental possession" to "child murder" pretty much offscreen. She'll do anything to get her family back in this film, but last we saw her she literally let go of her family in a tearjerking farewell in order to not hurt innocent people anymore. It's a big change that also takes the complex emotional nuance shown in WandaVision and, by necessity, boils it down to bad magic book bad.

She was already a slow-boil child murderer. If Westview didn't have Harkness in it corrupting the situation and SWORD and Monica barging in to try and stop it, she would have just had hundreds of children slowly age to death trapped in stasis in their houses. There wasn't any plan on her part to let them out, they would have messed with her weird sitcom idyll.

Honestly given that we first meet Wanda in the days after she volunteers to let Nazis try to give her superpowers so she can exact revenge on Tony Stark, we already know her grief-processing toolkit is completely hosed.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 8, 2022

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Watched Dr. Strange 2 yesterday. It was [i]a lot[/s] and I really liked it. I can see people being disappointed that Wanda's the villain, but having a hero fall like this and fight a fellow hero was really compelling drama. It added a lot of tension to the fights because I didn't want any of these heroes I like to die. I also appreciate how Strange and the Illuminati try to talk to Wanda and ask her to stop; Being a hero means trying to deescalate a situation and not just attacking first like a cop.

Something I appreciate is that while the Darkhold does have some corruptive influence, it didn't fully control Wanda. She has agency and chose to go down this path, and you can even get why she did it. She also doesn't do an evil laugh or anything associated with the lovely 'woman goes mad with power' plot beat. In fact, the movie goes out of the way to show how the Darkhold can corrupt anyone, with how it affected the Doctors Stranges.

Finally, the part where Alt Billy and Tommy were throwing stuff at Wanda to protect her mom, which did more damage to Wanda than the all her fights in the movie combined was absolutely heartbreaking. :smith: I wasn't sure what Alt Wanda said to her, but that moment was great because it felt like Wanda finally meeting someone who can fully understand her and her grief.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

So it took Raimi to finally see the brutal superhero deaths I was expecting to see in the infinity gauntlet finale?

I also may have cried some tears of excitement when I heard the X-Men theme song right as Xavier rolls up

And as someone posted above, I definitely missed Wandas two word line that was apparently of significance

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Speaking of which, MoM seems like it would be either really awesome or really awful to watch stoned

Trip report: Pretty awesome.

amigolupus posted:

: I wasn't sure what Alt Wanda said to her, but that moment was great because it felt like Wanda finally meeting someone who can fully understand her and her grief.

She said that Wanda should be glad to know that somewhere in the multiverse, the boys are being looked after and cared for

e: vvv ah yes, that to be exact

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 8, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The unintelligible line is 'know that they'll be loved'.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I was trying to remember what other movie was out this year an apparently they're still planning Wakanda Forever for this year?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Thoughts on Dr. Strange: MoM

They really let Raimi go maximum Raimi, didn't they? Or at least as much as he could get away with a PG-13 rating. Made for a really fun and entertaining movie.

That said, I feel like this is the first movie to be noticeably burdened by the serial nature of the MCU. It spends so much time juggling previous threads, characters, exposition, and comic references that the actual character arcs just don't get the development they need. Chavez is a living McGuffin who's taught at the last minute to believe in herself, Strange is basically told through exposition to be less self centered, and Wanda's whole motivation hinges on magic corruption and being a mom who lost her kids. To be fair, that very last bit is sympathetic enough to carry what is ultimately the main plot, but at the expense of her development in WandaVision, resulting in a repeated, if exaggerated, arc here.

That aside, there is so much to enjoy of the movie besides that it's easy to overlook that flaw. Scarlet Witch makes a wonderful horror movie monster, the Illuminati was done surprisingly well for their short screen-time (with the possible exception of Krasinski), the action is plentiful, imaginative and at times brutal, and we get a Zombie Strange stitching ghosts together into a cloak for the final battle (with an electric guitar stinger sounding as he realizes that's a thing he can do, as if to say "That's just METAL enough to work!"). So, all in all, flawed yet fun.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 8, 2022

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

One of the things that surprised me was that we got an alternate Christine Palmer but not one that's actively Night Nurse. I would have sworn they'd work in her earliest stuff for a reference. Though now that just makes me want MCU Tigra and Shanna the She-Devil projects.

Okkult
Oct 10, 2012

Re: 616

Some bureaucrat in the TVA made a clerical error 10,000 years ago and is really hoping no one notices.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Thought the movie was pretty good, miles better than the first one So kind of a dumb thought. We’ve had two movies in a row now where the multiverse is a big deal. Dose the end of Loki retroactively make the multiverse a thing? America has been able to jump since she was a kid and there’s dreamwalking that apparently has always been around. Are the TVA really poo poo at their jobs or did those things not exist before the prime timeline goes haywire?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d have to rewatch Loki, but iirc it’s presented as if the Prime Timeline branching off into the multiverse means that all those universes have simultaneously existed for all of time now, ie they didn’t just start in the “present” of the MCU and go from there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d have to rewatch Loki, but iirc it’s presented as if the Prime Timeline branching off into the multiverse means that all those universes have simultaneously existed for all of time now, ie they didn’t just start in the “present” of the MCU and go from there.

You could say they've existed...for all time, always.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Opopanax posted:

I was trying to remember what other movie was out this year an apparently they're still planning Wakanda Forever for this year?

Thor in July also.

One thing I saw in the credits They had listed "xmen 97 theme" for xaviers intro, could be a hint of the theme they use for the new show?

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

A talking coyote posted:

Thought the movie was pretty good, miles better than the first one So kind of a dumb thought. We’ve had two movies in a row now where the multiverse is a big deal. Dose the end of Loki retroactively make the multiverse a thing? America has been able to jump since she was a kid and there’s dreamwalking that apparently has always been around. Are the TVA really poo poo at their jobs or did those things not exist before the prime timeline goes haywire?
Not sure why we’re spoilering the events of Loki but my understanding from the show was that the multiverse was always a thing. When Kang won the Multiversal War and became “He Who Remains” he created / took control of the Time Variance Authority to go into the multiverse and prune nexus events that would eventually lead to the birth of rival Kangs who would re-spark the Multiversal War. So the “Sacred Timeline” was created so that these multiverses followed a similar / same flow of time, but they could still differ in some aspects - like Frost Giant Loki, Sylvie Loki, Kid Loki, etc. Or Richard Grant’s Classic Loki who survived Thanos by faking his death and the TVA let him be until he tried to return from his self-imposed exile due to loneliness.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1522894340200218624

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kingtheninja posted:

Thor in July also.

Oh yeah I remember that, I'm just really surprised that they're apparently sticking to that release. Has it even started filming? I feel like they haven't announced anything about it other than Winston Duke getting a bigger cut

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Has it even started filming? I feel like they haven't announced anything about it other than Winston Duke getting a bigger cut

Yeah, I think filming even got put on hold for a little while because Letitia Wright got injured on set.

That was a while ago, I wouldn't be surprised if filming was done or close to it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Initial filming wrapped at the end of March. It's Marvel so there will probably be extensive reshoots soon enough though.

They actually filmed about Wright's injury for a while but she's the new main character, so they still had to shut down for a couple of months.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/wandasolsen/status/1523295268942147585

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Guy freaks out when an Ex winds up back in their life" isn't exactly breaking news.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
The best part of Dr. Strange was the parents hauling a hysterical kid out over their shoulders about a quarter of the way through because holy poo poo this was not a movie for the preschool set.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

CapnAndy posted:

He was making a joke about how they sounded like a pop group. He's never heard of anyone by that name before.

Actually, he has: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantastic_Four_(band). They charted in the 60s, as he said, and he's memorized every band that charted.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A talking coyote posted:

Yeah, you could see it happen as soon as Sylvie iced HWR. That single-line representation of the timeline immediately sprouted branch points everywhere, and as the TVA constantly had to hop to any given point in time because variance could come from anywhen, it's just one of those things. Once the multiverse started existing, it had always existed.

Kingtheninja posted:

One thing I saw in the credits They had listed "xmen 97 theme" for xaviers intro, could be a hint of the theme they use for the new show?
It was the animated theme.

Sefer posted:

Actually, he has: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantastic_Four_(band). They charted in the 60s, as he said, and he's memorized every band that charted.

Goddrat, that's a deep cut if they intended it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
MoM on mother's day had me grinning like a drat idiot for about 90 minutes. Loved seeing a lot of mom's in the theater!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MorbiusMovie/status/1523331894326169602

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Oh nice, for Mother's Day, Morbius will be available nine days after Mother's Day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mom has to get ready for Morbin Time