Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BobDoleTrasher posted:

Anyone got a link to the one magic rune mod that replaces all of them with the dickbutt one?

:nws: possibly? https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61514

Doesn't seem to be a version for SE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobDoleTrasher
Nov 14, 2013

Generally hates cLutch
Yep. That's the one. Shame.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

it's just a texture replacement

.dds files don't need converting

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
3DNPCs is that bad huh?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It's one of those mods that took a lot of time and effort to make, offers a huge amount of new stuff and is relatively stable, so it's really popular and everyone praises it while politely not mentioning the actual quality of its content.

See also: Falskar, Moonpath to Elsweyr, etc...

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Ah well, thats going out of my modlist now.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Are there any recommended first person combat mods for AE? I'm desperately trying to avoid falling into the usual trap of stealth archery, and I'd like to go a bit more Spellsword sellsword, so to speak

What's the general opinion on the Mysticism mod, and Immersive College of Winterhold?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Surprisingly I’m finding playing a spell sword in Oblivion more dynamic than anything in Skyrim, and it’s all down to having a dedicated cast button. One, it lets you use a sword and shields or two handed weapon with spells, and two it makes hotkeying more immediate.

Moreover, handling spells this way allows for autocasting (with mods). If I need a shield effect or healing spell in the middle of battle, I don’t have to switch back and forth between my offensive and defensive spells. I press the hot key, a macro plays, I get my shield effect and my flame spell is instantly requipped. I have like 16 hot keys all mapped to a controller (DS4’s touchpad makes this possible). Combined with some good overhaul mods, its been surprisingly great.

I hate how much I end up pausing in Skyrim if I want to use a variety of spells (it’s probably less of an issue with M+KB).

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

If they ever release a mod that makes Oblivion facegen not look so... uh... derpy, then I may be tempted to go back and check it out

But yes, magery in Skyrim is a bit painful. Hmm, theres probably a mod for that...

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Moreau posted:

If they ever release a mod that makes Oblivion facegen not look so... uh... derpy, then I may be tempted to go back and check it out

But yes, magery in Skyrim is a bit painful. Hmm, theres probably a mod for that...

There has been a mod to make it look a lot better for many years. It's not modern game quality but it's a lot better than vanilla.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Lol removing 3DNPCs requires me to do the entire Dyndolod thing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tankbuster posted:

Lol removing 3DNPCs requires me to do the entire Dyndolod thing.

Applications like DynDoLOD make me wish app developers would always create command lines before making GUIs.

Burns
May 10, 2008

If you are in a playthrough then dont remove it.

Me personally i have no issue with interestings npcs. Now the other big mod back in the day that hasnt aged well is immersive armors/weapons.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Burns posted:

If you are in a playthrough then dont remove it.

Me personally i have no issue with interestings npcs. Now the other big mod back in the day that hasnt aged well is immersive armors/weapons.

How did it age poorly?

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Idk, I don't like that you can roleplay as a pedo in interesting npcs. Call me weird, but thats my life

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dameius posted:

How did it age poorly?

Immersive Weapons and Armours are both loaded with script bloat from the early days of Skyrim modding. Just all sorts of poo poo that needlessly clogs up the game. Also the both pull in a bunch of assets from the Witcher games and other sources, so the “Immersive” part of Immersive Weapons/Armours is a huge rear end lie.

Both have since been replaced by other mod that accomplish the same goals, only better, like Heavy Armoury, Animated Armoury, and Armour Variants Expansion.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I did like how Immersive Weapons enabled finishing the Civil War for the Stormcloaks by walking into the King’s Palace and grabbing the sword of the High King off the wall. Big symbolic dick there. “Mine now.”

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Idk, I don't like that you can roleplay as a pedo in interesting npcs. Call me weird, but thats my life

i missed most of this convo but there is a patch for interesting npcs that improves that aspect of it - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/62007 - septimus uses this patch as well to get rid of the gross poo poo in the mod

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm generally pretty good at ignoring even egregious stuff like the worst poo poo in 3DNPCs if there's something I like about it, but I just tried to think for a bit about something I actually like about the mod and couldn't.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

I did like how Immersive Weapons enabled finishing the Civil War for the Stormcloaks by walking into the King’s Palace and grabbing the sword of the High King off the wall. Big symbolic dick there. “Mine now.”

It’s either Heavy Armoury or Royal Armoury placed a big fuckoff Stalhrim greatsword in a case above Elisif’s head in the Blue Palace that you could hop on her throne and swipe and run the gently caress away too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s either Heavy Armoury or Royal Armoury placed a big fuckoff Stalhrim greatsword in a case above Elisif’s head in the Blue Palace that you could hop on her throne and swipe and run the gently caress away too.

Oh, I think it was Royal Armoury I was playing with. My bad!

Burns
May 10, 2008

Dameius posted:

How did it age poorly?

The armors look like poo poo, for one.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
3DNPCs makes my game crash on boot; the bsa is so big (and my mod list as well) that it overflows some memory pool or something

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I've just run into different parts of Interesting NPCs, because a whole lot of the things listed on that page are completely unfamiliar to me. The perils of playing a very big mod.

Definitely don't remove it if you're in a playthrough though, unless you also plan on starting a new one as a result. It'll leave a bunch of garbage in your save.

Dameius posted:

How did it age poorly?

There was a post about them a while back that infuriated the modder who made it and they said they were going to fix the problems that the post mentioned and it just never happened. Now there's posts about how REALLY these were all misconceptions and then people argue.

Basically: It's all implemented with scripts and MCM and that's inconvenient and annoying for some people. It's pretty low-res and the meshes are badly optimized. The blood on them messes up. There's a mesh or two that causes CTDs. The keywords aren't assigned correctly. It's just not very polished.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I had to install Vortex to mod another game that has literally no manual mod install directions (FFXII). I feel dirty.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Are there any good guides or starting tutorials for modifying armor? I want to add some underclothes - sleeves, pants and such - to leather armor. Maybe a belt with a waterskin and potions, etc. So I want to try and nick from existing armor meshes, just not sure where to start.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

You might want to check out Comprehensive Sleeves Pack or its successors (Brigandage, Common Clothes and Armors).

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I have to say I have always stayed away from really large ambitious mod packs that feature new characters and new quest lines as a general rule, but that obviously ended when I tried septimus.

They are almost all way better than I expected. There are a couple that I found kind of tedious and not to my taste but they're haven't been any so far that I would flat out call bad.

Of course there's also the odd thirsty character which I could do without, but eh.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah Wyrmstooth Midwood Isle or whatever it's called was cute for 10 seconds "oh look lush green!" and then I had a lot of quest steps like "talk to this person two feet away, who tells you to talk to someone else for 2 seconds."

It went on way too long and completely wore out its welcome.

The oblivion gates part was cute, the challenge was decent in the encounters, but drat. Just so much boring space filled with boring people.

e: Wyrmstooth was a lot better overall.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 13, 2022

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
Hey, sorry for the longpost...the OP is listed as out of date.

Today I decided to try to come back to Skyrim since not touching it since 2013. I figured I'd slap in some top mods and off I'd go. But the mods I installed with Vortex complain about missing DLCs I don't have and Steam doesn't even list as for sale any more. I'm confused about what I'd even try to get to fix it: There's a special edition and an anniversary edition (the latter of which has an upgrade option, but its downvoted on steam for some reason).

As someone who hasn't touched a skyrim in almost a decade, can someone decode what I should do to successfully gently caress around nowadays? Do I get any credit for having originally bought the actual game? I'd hope so...

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Stabby McDamage posted:

Today I decided to try to come back to Skyrim since not touching it since 2013. I figured I'd slap in some top mods and off I'd go. But the mods I installed with Vortex complain about missing DLCs I don't have and Steam doesn't even list as for sale any more. I'm confused about what I'd even try to get to fix it: There's a special edition and an anniversary edition (the latter of which has an upgrade option, but its downvoted on steam for some reason).

As someone who hasn't touched a skyrim in almost a decade, can someone decode what I should do to successfully gently caress around nowadays? Do I get any credit for having originally bought the actual game? I'd hope so...

I'm pretty sure SE was a free upgrade for a time, but not anymore.

AE is the same as SE but includes all the paid mods (Creation Club).

Either way, you gotta pay.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

40Inch posted:

I'm pretty sure SE was a free upgrade for a time, but not anymore.

AE is the same as SE but includes all the paid mods (Creation Club).

Either way, you gotta pay.

Thanks!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh, and please, just watch a ten minute Mod Organizer 2 tutorial, it will save way more than 10 minutes of headaches and annoyances in the long run.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Stabby McDamage posted:

When you buy the game now you will be getting the Anniversary Edition version which will have 4 free CC mods packaged into it. The full Anniversary Edition is a further paid dlc on top of that.
For modding purposes your game will be the AE version 1.6.xx not the SE version 1.5.97 despite what Steam will list it as.
The vast majority of mods that needed to have updated to the AE version now and offer 2 versions of the mod so make sure you get the right one, i.e. the AE 1.6 version. This difference only affects mods that use a .dll which are generally SKSE mods, which reminds me, make sure you get the correct version of SKSE too. Other types of mods work with both versions so you don't need to worry about those.
I would also suggest looking at wabbajack for modlists to install as an easy alternative to relearning how to mod Skyrim. Lists cater to every taste and style of play so if you let us know we could recommend some to you if you go this route. A new and good vanilla+ list is Journey as an idea to get you started.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I would say the AE stuff is largely worth it

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Playing through Falskaar for the first time.

Why do I let this dipshit keep monologuing at me and running away instead of fireballing him in the rectum? So dumb. Once, fine, okay. Four or whatever times? Come the gently caress on.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Stabby McDamage posted:

Its likely that you have Skyrim Legendary Edition (referred to commonly as LE) and not Skyrim Special Edition (SE) or Skyrim Anniversary Edition (AE)

If you go to Skyrim in your Steam Library, and go to the Store Page - if it just says "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" then you have the Legendary Edition.

Skyrim Legendary Edition was delisted when Special Edition was released. If that's the version you own, and you don't have the DLC then you would need to upgrade to Special Edition or Anniversary Edition. Anniversary Edition is identical to Special Edition except it includes a bunch of Creation Club content, assets Bethesda took from another game (Blades) and charged people for.

Modding is the real game though, whichever version you have. You expect us to play the game? Fffft.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
“Which one of my 1500 mods is breaking Skyrim today?” is my favourite puzzle game of all time. I play it more than I ever play Skyrim anymore!

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Past Moreau: Which ignoramus put this mod list together? Ugh, this is terrible. Let me build this from the ground up. Ah, that's better. Now its time for bed and tomorrow I will play!
Current Moreau: Which ignoramus put this mod list together? Ugh, this is terrible. Let me build this from the ground up. Ah, that's better. Now its time for bed and tomorrow I will play!
Future Moreau: Which ignoramus put this mod list together? Ugh, this is terrible. Let me build this from the ground up. Ah, that's better. Now its time for bed and tomorrow I will play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Low resolution normal maps can really age a 3D artwork. (Oblivion but same concept applies)

Both have the diffuse (base) textures upscaled, but the one on the left has non-upscaled normals. The old normal map is straight up hiding detail. (These are kartoffels' upscales btw).

I need to figure out how to do this myself, because this problem is making some mods look pretty crummy. I haven't had great results with the waifu2x online converter.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 16, 2022