Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah it’s cool we have a version of Stormfront where people are busily calling rape victims in Bucha crisis actors but whaddya gonna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah it’s cool we have a version of Stormfront where people are busily calling rape victims in Bucha crisis actors but whaddya gonna do.

:wtc:

cspam delenda est

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hey look engagement don't make itself there cowboy, how else we supposed to deploy sa 5.0 into the metaverse? pioneering micro transactions is one thing but we can't just sit on our laurels here

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sneakyfrog posted:

how else we supposed to deploy sa 5.0 into the metaverse?

My god, it’s full of dickbutt.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Maybe cspam needs canned sunshine? If I remember right, FYAD got wiped from the forums for a bit like 15 years ago, for being so lovely at the time.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Xakura posted:

:wtc:

cspam delenda est

unfortunately it's not going anywhere because it generates money to the site's owner

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Alchenar posted:

It's quite funny in parts because they have a gunnery guy there making a show of dispensing spec knowledge wisdom who has somehow managed to both be wrong in every single prediction they've made and also completely misinterpret every event as it is happening and they haven't noticed the pattern.

That guy's a real hoot but my favorite is the "obviously kyiv attack was a loving feint, Russia's clear objective was always the south and east" guy

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Still laughing at the “bread is baked twice daily, at a central location” moron :laffo:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The fuckin carpet of destroyed tanks is what made it so convincing, genius

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
poo poo, you're right. How was I such a rube!!!

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
It's a ruse to slow down Ukraine's switch over to to western weapons by weighing it down with hundreds of obsolete soviet era armor vehicles. At same time Russia grows stronger as it no longer has to maintain those same rust buckets. It's a double win for Putin.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/tpyxanews/status/1523316310746464256?s=21&t=PfYji20AgqELoCB4-J6v-g

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Gwaihir posted:

That guy's a real hoot but my favorite is the "obviously kyiv attack was a loving feint, Russia's clear objective was always the south and east" guy
Recently spotted the next stage of this: "the faltering attack in the south and east is just a ruse to entice the Ukrainian forces out of their impenetrable fortifications into a counteroffensive where they can be slaughtered by the elite of the Russian army".

But yeah, it's an endless, smug circle-jerk of:
1. "loving liberals keep accusing us of supporting Putin. We just oppose American imperialism and want the violence to stop."
2. "loving Ukrainian soldiers are all Nazis and deserve to be slaughtered"
3. "loving Ukrainian civilians are also all Nazis and deserve to be slaughtered"
4. "loving liberals keep accusing us of supporting Putin. We just oppose American imperialism and want the violence to stop."

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

I dont get how these dudes dont just get dropped doing their little "look at me im a badass" dances.
I guess that assumes theyre actually doing anything other than shooting into empty trees while their buddy films it for ticktok.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
they just don't have cool mustache guy

or random old ladies with portents of doom.

Ukraines social media and pr have been crazily on point

E: ghost of friggin Kyiv jeez.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 8, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Sentinel posted:

I dont get how these dudes dont just get dropped doing their little "look at me im a badass" dances.
I guess that assumes theyre actually doing anything other than shooting into empty trees while their buddy films it for ticktok.
None of their posts have evidence that they're anywhere near actual combat. They're just faffing about where they're completely safe to do so

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

Still laughing at the “bread is baked twice daily, at a central location” moron :laffo:

Well, given the amount of wheat they've been stealing recently...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
This thread does tend to cheerlead some though. Russia is definitely failing with its goals in the invasion, but Ukraine is by no means out of the woods. The offensive towards Kiev that was supposed to be a decapitating strike and anything in the Black Sea where they should have had total dominance have been total disasters for Russia. But Russia still has a relative advantage on the ground in the east where most of the fighting is currently happening. Russia is advancing way slower than they need to, but they are advancing on some fronts. Because the Ukrainians have more drones and with social media the way it is, we see a lot more videos of Russian poo poo being blown up but Ukraine has taken very significant losses of people and equipment. Ukraine's relative position is getting stronger as more foreign weapons come in, but their offensive capability has been pretty limited and we've mostly seen them pushing Russia out of occupied territory in a limited way outside of the Kiev area.

As much as it would be great to see Russian forces smashed in Ukraine, right now it looks like the best case scenario in the short term is that Ukraine sets up a meat grinder to wear out Russia until it can eventually push back. It's still very possible that Ukraine ends up agreeing to a negotiated settlement that sees it losing territory in the east, and retaking Crimea is still something of a pipe dream.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This thread does tend to cheerlead some though. Russia is definitely failing with its goals in the invasion, but Ukraine is by no means out of the woods. The offensive towards Kiev that was supposed to be a decapitating strike and anything in the Black Sea where they should have had total dominance have been total disasters for Russia. But Russia still has a relative advantage on the ground in the east where most of the fighting is currently happening. Russia is advancing way slower than they need to, but they are advancing on some fronts. Because the Ukrainians have more drones and with social media the way it is, we see a lot more videos of Russian poo poo being blown up but Ukraine has taken very significant losses of people and equipment. Ukraine's relative position is getting stronger as more foreign weapons come in, but their offensive capability has been pretty limited and we've mostly seen them pushing Russia out of occupied territory in a limited way outside of the Kiev area.

As much as it would be great to see Russian forces smashed in Ukraine, right now it looks like the best case scenario in the short term is that Ukraine sets up a meat grinder to wear out Russia until it can eventually push back. It's still very possible that Ukraine ends up agreeing to a negotiated settlement that sees it losing territory in the east, and retaking Crimea is still something of a pipe dream.

The current counteroffensive north/east of Kharkhiv has the potential to put Belogrod within artillery range, which would be a pretty strategic development in terms of allowing them to target a major Russian logistics hub.

Anyway, I don't think most people here here are cheerleading Ukraine so much as we're in awe at how terrible the Russian military is. I mean, 100% of the conventional warfare doctrine that every person serving in a NATO military learned was centered entirely around a war with the Russians, so it's astounding to see them not following basic principles of maneuver warfare.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

psydude posted:

The current counteroffensive north/east of Kharkhiv has the potential to put Belogrod within artillery range, which would be a pretty strategic development in terms of allowing them to target a major Russian logistics hub.

Anyway, I don't think most people here here are cheerleading Ukraine so much as we're in awe at how terrible the Russian military is. I mean, 100% of the conventional warfare doctrine that every person serving in a NATO military learned was centered entirely around a war with the Russians, so it's astounding to see them not following basic principles of maneuver warfare.

My wife’s family is Ukrainian Jew so I’m cheering the hell out of the invader getting their poo poo pushed in.

My wife’s grandfather is 100 years old was just barely born here when his parents fled right after ww1. All traces of his family’s village and existence has been scrubbed from history. They need peace badly but being a crossroads of Europe was never going to let that happen.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I spent my childhood growing up in a Ukrainian community and I’ll cheerlead the gently caress out of them exploding Russian invaders.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Why shouldn't someone cheer on Ukraine in their war against the genocidal freaks of the Russian army? Why should anyone have any sympathy for an army that has raped, pillaged and murdered in the areas they occupy?

Russia has already lost this war, it's a matter of when Putin acknowledges it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
some times the cheerleaders are right.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

If I didn't hold it against the men who tried to kill me- since I was making an unprovoked invasion of an innocent, independent nation- I'm gonna do a little cheering for the Ukrainians.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

We're cheering because pretty much everyone expected Ukraine to go down hard. They're putting on an absolutely amazing fight and showing unbelievable resilience. If that doesn't deserve a few cheers then I don't know what does.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Cheerleading is bad when it prevents you from looking at the situation as a whole. We can all hope that Ukraine is able to push Russia out of its territory, but this is by no means a foregone conclusion. Russia is falling way short of its goals but they are still moving forward in a limited way in some places. I just don't see an obvious path where the Russian army collapses and Ukraine is able to regain all of its prewar territory unless there is a significant change in the strategic situation. Best case scenario is that weapon imports make a difference sooner rather than later but getting all of that operational takes time and Ukraine is suffering losses in the meantime.

Russian equipment blowing up to a techno soundtrack is fun and all, it's just an incomplete look at the conflict. Would it be great to see Ukraine win here? Yes. Is Russia losing relative to its prewar goals? Yes. Is an outright Ukrainian victory assured at this point? No.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah, it would be bad if that's what we were doing.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The drone footage of the Mi-8 getting blown to hell on Snake island was pretty intense.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This is like when one of NASA’s first Mars rovers was supposed to last 9 months before dying, but ended up lasting 3 or 4 years instead. I cheered the hell out of that too. They predicted dust and sand would cover the solar panels and progressively ruin its power management until at 9 months the batteries would no longer charge. But instead, every 6 or so months little tornadoes would hit the rover and clean its solar panels off.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is like when one of NASA’s first Mars rovers was supposed to last 9 months before dying, but ended up lasting 3 or 4 years instead. I cheered the hell out of that too. They predicted dust and sand would cover the solar panels and progressively ruin its power management until at 9 months the batteries would no longer charge. But instead, every 6 or so months little tornadoes would hit the rover and clean its solar panels off.

I cried when the one rover got stuck and died.
Little dude was hardcore, and a achievement of science.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1523364027929272320?s=21&t=gHmy_YOrBpj0ubvagSPl2w

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
:unsmith:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Russia is advancing slowly in the east because that’s what they are currently capable of. Any intimation that they are just pulling their punches is an absurdity.

Russia started this war with no less a goal than regime change and subjugation of the entire country. They have failed that and are just clinging on hoping to somehow save face from a total military and political disaster.

This is the best they have.

Ukraine is getting stronger with time, you can’t call the Kharkiv offensive anything else, and there is no sign that Russia is capable of reconstituting their forces at all. So, any projection that Russia is just biding time until their victory is just nonsense. There is no new juggernaut coming.

It’s also apparent that any negotiated settlement is just a temporary pause before hostilities resume in a year or two so there is no real reason that Ukraine shouldn’t continue to prosecute the war while they have an advantage as long as they can.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Cheerleading is bad when it prevents you from looking at the situation as a whole. We can all hope that Ukraine is able to push Russia out of its territory, but this is by no means a foregone conclusion. Russia is falling way short of its goals but they are still moving forward in a limited way in some places. I just don't see an obvious path where the Russian army collapses and Ukraine is able to regain all of its prewar territory unless there is a significant change in the strategic situation. Best case scenario is that weapon imports make a difference sooner rather than later but getting all of that operational takes time and Ukraine is suffering losses in the meantime.

Russian equipment blowing up to a techno soundtrack is fun and all, it's just an incomplete look at the conflict. Would it be great to see Ukraine win here? Yes. Is Russia losing relative to its prewar goals? Yes. Is an outright Ukrainian victory assured at this point? No.

What does "looking at the situation as a whole" even mean? Just sounds like an excuse for some kind of morally detached doomer realism to me.

Do you really think a single person here believes that the Ukrainians haven't suffered any losses? You seem to be downplaying the catastrophic equipment and personnel losses of the Russian's while overemphasizing those of the Ukrainians who receive more and more equipment and resources from NATO by the day.

I'll stick with the assessments by the US/UK because outside of being on the ground ourselves we're not likely to get much better information than that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I’m not in charge of the disposition of their forces nor am I professionally responsible for providing an objective analysis

I’ll cheerlead the Ukrainians to push Russia’s poo poo in until they leave

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Defender advantage is a thing. Russia will continue to be over extended just miles into Ukrainian boarders. They do not have the domestic political ability to muster and equip the 5M+ strong infantry divisions that they would need to conquer Ukraine. They barely started this war with enough conventional military power to take and hold the eastern portion of the country with its natural gas reserves and instead lost their best forces trying for Kiev.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

M_Gargantua posted:

Defender advantage is a thing. Russia will continue to be over extended just miles into Ukrainian boarders. They do not have the domestic political ability to muster and equip the 5M+ strong infantry divisions that they would need to conquer Ukraine. They barely started this war with enough conventional military power to take and hold the eastern portion of the country with its natural gas reserves and instead lost their best forces trying for Kiev.
Furthermore, Russia has made it perfectly clear that any civilian areas they take will be destroyed, civilians included. That's going to motivate guerrillas. Welcome to asymmetric warfare!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Furthermore, Russia has made it perfectly clear that any civilian areas they take will be destroyed, civilians included. That's going to motivate guerrillas. Welcome to asymmetric warfare!
Yeah, Ukraine has no choice in this. Russia has made it exceptionally clear that they have to fight to the last person.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If I were a policy maker, I would have to take a detached perspective and focus on making decisions that promote my strategic goals, to include making plans for the possibility that supporting Ukraine could suddenly be against my national interest.

I am not a policy maker. Any success for Russia is unacceptable. They must be defeated. Real long term success for Russia can only be in the form of regime change and substantial political and social reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

We ain't found poo poo!