Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
^^ belcher rocks, keep on being degenerate!

This is my weekly update that I still dislike the pitch elementals. I just do not think they’re fun. And also the price is loving lmao. Endurance is the platonic ideal for the pitch elementals though. Perfectly fine on each side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

latest eternal glory podcast episode is pretty good, there's a lot of practical advice about attending a paper tournament. the first and most emphatic bit is "take a shower" which made me lol

there's also a tidbit where one of the hosts (boshnroll) says "no one gives a poo poo about how you lost" which felt pretty relatable. asking for emotional support when you take a harsh L is good, but going into unwarranted detail about the game state is just tedious and annoying. wish I had the balls to just say that myself to my cedh friends who do that lol

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

kalel posted:

latest eternal glory podcast episode is pretty good, there's a lot of practical advice about attending a paper tournament. the first and most emphatic bit is "take a shower" which made me lol

there's also a tidbit where one of the hosts (boshnroll) says "no one gives a poo poo about how you lost" which felt pretty relatable. asking for emotional support when you take a harsh L is good, but going into unwarranted detail about the game state is just tedious and annoying. wish I had the balls to just say that myself to my cedh friends who do that lol

give me more details about this podcast

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://www.theeternalglorypodcast.com/

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's good op. centers on legacy but they talk about other eternal formats too. their intro stuff sucks and might be an initial turn off but it's good once they actually start talking. hosted by two of my favorite legacy content creators, and Bryant cook

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

kalel posted:

I think it can be worth talking about how you lost as an exercise in "could I have won this with a different line?", but as the losing player you definitely have to go into such a conversation with that objective in mind. Most people don't!

And my paper tourney advice that doesn't get enough discussion is to make sure you eat and drinking enough, both before and during the event. When I was still playing paper FNMs I'd bring a Clif Bar or something even to an event that small!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The post game “here’s how I think I lost, how do you think I lost?” discussion is the most important tool in my kit in terms of improving my play

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I have that discussion with opponents after matches. We discuss a bit sideboarding and lines chosen

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

The post game “here’s how I think I lost, how do you think I lost?” discussion is the most important tool in my kit in terms of improving my play

I agree but both parties have to go in with that mindset. I have very little patience for bitch sessions when I'm not mentally prepared to offer emotional support, nor are these kinds of stories entertaining

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would NEVER do it in a tournament setting unless the opponent was a friend or regular playmate of mine. Weekly FNMs for legacy or modern are for fiddling sideboards and making small adjustments, a GP or w/e I complete my game, spit out a quick “Good Luck” and just bounce before my opponent can pick up their cards.

Then I go ask my friends what I did wrong lol

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

kalel posted:

I had two dudes at the counter at my store this weekend who were playing a hilarious game of poo poo that didn't happen ever when I got a whiff of one of them and almost ralphed in my mask. I assumed it was the young man who mentioned earlier that he was staying at a local shelter since moving back to town bc hygiene is rough when you are in that spot (and no shame, capitalism is a motherfucker) and was ready to offer to spot him $5 to catch a shower next Saturday before he rolls in to play magic.

That's when said wizard gets called back to play another game.

The funk stayed. It wasn't a cloud, it was the other guy :barf:

Will def pull him aside and gently remind him that everyone feeling welcome and invited to play in our space, including those with sensitive noses if it happens again bc my nose is usually super dead and it bothered even me

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

I would NEVER do it in a tournament setting unless the opponent was a friend or regular playmate of mine. Weekly FNMs for legacy or modern are for fiddling sideboards and making small adjustments, a GP or w/e I complete my game, spit out a quick “Good Luck” and just bounce before my opponent can pick up their cards.

Then I go ask my friends what I did wrong lol

I have no problem discussing lines post game with an opponent. Especially if I feel that they outplayed me at certain points in the match.

But I also record my tournament results in a note file on my phone and post them for public ridicule.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the obvious solution is to post results of 6-9 or 4-2-0. No one will ridicule you because they'll be too busy laughing

every game store I've ever been to, no matter the size or location or reputation, has one and exactly one person like this. every time I go somewhere new I will end up getting repulsed by some person, but also I'm often impressed at the number of people who don't smell. I mean you'd think it would be more!

maybe it's like an internet thing, where the subculture becoming more well known caused people to be more reflective and smell-conscious

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m extremely grateful that my LGS owner is himself a true gamer and has a full and complete “if I can smell you then you have to leave” policy.

He called it “The Super Smash Bros” rule.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
The only thing I can conclude about the smelly people is that they must not know and therefore that makes me reflexively worry that maybe it is me who is the smelly one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s sad because USUALLY it just means that person lives either alone or with their parents who are probably just as stanky and they just don’t have anyone in their life to tell them to shower and change draws

One of the upsides of having mask mandates in the LGS, I suppose

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I think one major problem is people will generally avoid confrontation, including telling a stinky person they need to improve their hygiene.

People don't want to make the smelly person uncomfortable, but that person is making many others uncomfortable with their odor. I've been the one to confront several times, and each time most of the people in the shop kind of stared at me in amazement that I said anything. It's an awkward conversation, but one that should be had.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought this was the thread for cardboard yachtsmen, not nose-holding yacksmen!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Report: tribe still great. Might eye up the boros bully tribe list in the next couple weeks

On the horizon: pioneer with mono blue spirits

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Finally selling out of legacy (mix of can't play bc covid and dislike of the direction of curation) and wowzers cards got expensive eh?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Skyl3lazer posted:

Finally selling out of legacy (mix of can't play bc covid and dislike of the direction of curation) and wowzers cards got expensive eh?
It's insane

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok so I know murktide flies but hear me out: sailor's bane removes the tension with uro

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Bane is an easy 2 of because it just works alongside murktide but doesnt die to spot removal

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

adventure turt looks, at best, like a sideboard card to me. it doesn't fly or block flyers—it has no evasion whatsoever. in a control matchup with few ground chaff maybe you bring it in as a hard to remove threat, but that requires a flex slot in your sideboard and that's a very specific scenerio. could see play but you'll probably get more mileage by sticking to murko or monastery mentor and keeping the board flexible instead of narrow. looks like another overhyped fatty to me, and for that reason, I'm Out

kalel fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 26, 2022

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
On my way to sell 3 Mox Diamonds today to pay for a new dog for my wife.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Smashing Link posted:

Smart choice

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

You’re naming the dog Moxie, right?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Smashing Link posted:

High 5 for good form/priorities. Name the dog bling imo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I almost bought the mythetic token to playtest some Legacy on MTGO but then I saw the cards from Baulder's gate I wanted to test weren't on MTGO

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

You’re naming the dog Moxie, right?

PleasantDirge posted:

High 5 for good form/priorities. Name the dog bling imo

I think the wife might actually go for the name Moxie...will report back in a month when the pup arrives. Bling not as likely to go over.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Moxie is a good name considering the situation.
If anyone doesn't get it just say she's a fizzy little girl with some bark and bite. Like the soda.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
This is Liliana. I didn’t even have to trick my wife into accepting the name!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lawnie posted:

:hellyeah:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'd drop a diamond just to pet her.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Converting cardboard into a cute friend is master level wizardry

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

Well done, appropriate color as well.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Smashing Link posted:

Well done, appropriate color as well.

The white is just a preview for the next Lilliana.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
The finals of the Vancouver face to face were mono blue tempo vs uw emeria. Look at these WILD decklists:
Mono Blue Tempo – (1st)

4 Dismember
4 Counterspell
4 Spreading Seas
4 Vendilion Clique
4 Svyelun of Sea and Sky
4 Brazen Borrower
4 Force of Negation
4 Subtlety
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Blast Zone
4 Hall of Storm Giants
4 Faerie Conclave
1 Castle Vantress
2 Otawara, Soaring City
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
8 Island

Sideboard
4 Tide Shaper
3 Ratchet Bomb
2 Unlicensed Hearse
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Hurkyl’s Recall
2 Dress Down

UW Emeria – (2nd)

1 Walking Ballista
4 Thraben Inspector
1 Kami of False Hope
1 Giant Killer
4 March of Otherworldly Light
3 Ephemerate
4 Wall of Omens
4 Charming Prince
2 Spirited Companion
3 Winds of Abandon
4 Ranger-captain of Eos
4 Teferi, Time Raveler
2 The Wandering Emperor
3 Supreme Verdict
4 Solitude
4 Sun Titan
4 Flooded Strand
2 Arid Mesa
2 Marsh Flats
1 Windswept Heath
3 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
1 Mistveil Plains
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Field of Ruin
1 Ghost Quarter
9 Plains
1 Island

Sideboard
1 Yorion, Sky Nomad
1 Martyr of Sands
2 Dress Down
2 Dovin’s veto
2 Unlicensed Hearse
2 Meddling Mage
3 Skyclave Apparition
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Emrakul, the Promised End

https://magic.facetofacegames.com/f2f-tour-stop-vancouver-2022-recap/

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Tournament report face to face calgary

Bant humans deck list:

4 noble hierarch
4 champion of the parish
2 avacyns pilgrim
4 meddling mage
4 unsettled mariner
4 thalias lieutenant
3 thalia, guardian of thraben
4 reflector mage
2 brutal cathar
3 shardless agent
2 Adeline, resplendent cathar
4 collected company

4 cavern of souls
3 horizon canopy
1 temple garden
1 hallowed fountain
1 breeding pool
2 forest
1 plains
7 fetches

Sideboard

3 sanctifier en vec
2 deputy of detention
2 kataki, wars wage
2 mirran crusader
2 dromoka’s command
1 sanctum prelate
1 Lavinia, azorius renegade
2 Outland liberator

Bant humans tournament report:

R1 vs mono red prowess
Win die roll
Win 2-0

G1: I’m playing against a 12 year old at his first tournament and I land thalia and 2 unsettled mariner. Opponent baubles himself and fetches before looking at the card. It’s like that.

G2: opponent makes some misplays, tanks a lot, and Abeed stops by the table for a bit and sits down while I explain how meddling mage works to my opponent, and I then rewind for my opponent and walk them through the whole process. I also flood on lands for several turns (seeing 14 of my decks 20 lands) until I finally draw a horizon canopy which draws a coco, which hits a sanctifier em vec. I almost go to time but I have fun.

R2 vs ephemerate money pile (60 card version)
Lose die roll
Lose 0-2

This match was against one of the two guys who got DQ’s for being absolutely lovely AND playing extremely loose (accusations of playing extra lands, drawing extra cards, ignoring rules, cheating etc) and I did call my opponent out on playing an extra land, but I was hungover and assumed he was just dumb as hell (he might still be dumb as hell tbh) but he also had 3x fury and 3x ephemerate over 2 games

G1: T1 ragavan, lightning bolt for meddling mage on fury, fury + ephemerate

G2: T1 ragavan, bolt for blocker, fury + ephemerate twice.

R3 vs murktide
Win die roll
Win 2-0

G1: cavern on humans champion into mariner into thalia taxes the opponent enough and a lieutenant puts the board out of bolt range

G2: I don’t think my opponent knows that ledger shredder activates when I cast two spells which is good for me. Sanctum prelate on one shuts down my opponents deck. Judge call for a rewind when my opponent spell pierces a coco through the prelate

R4 vs amulet
Lose die roll
Lose 1-2

G1: early titan gets me

G2: meddling mage on titan gets me the win

G3: meddling mage on titan, opponent untap and casts cultivator colossus into dryad, into cultivator colossus

R5 vs tameshi combo
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1: opponent has the turn 1 suspend lotus bloom, so there’s no surprise. They also have the end step, eladamri’s call for tameshi, bloom off suspend, t4 combo me out

G2: i meddling mage lotus bloom with one on suspend and present a fast clock. They cannot interact with it.

G3: opponent gets stuck on two land and I have a t2 thalia while also presenting a very fast clock once again.

R6 vs rakdos midrange
Lose die roll
Lose 0-2

G1: opponent has t1 ragavan into thoughtseize into lilianna into lilianna

G2: opponent has 3 lilianna this game and it’s wild. Honestly good for him, great opponent

R7 vs mono blue tempo
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1: opponent puts chalice on one and two, I get to explain how chalice and cavern works. (Very good for me) I still lose the game due to not being able to deal with 3 power flyers. Game goes long

G2: this game also goes long, but I have meddling mages putting in work, and caverns once again. Brutal cathar flips repeatedly in this game. This game also involved a judge call about day/night and if you can respond to it

G3: caverns are good, I think my opponent doesn’t know the At he can counterspell cascade spells even if I used cavern to cast shardless. Also my opponent wins if he simply ticks up blast zone, but he’s hyper focused on getting to hall of the storm giants manaz

R8 vs yawgmoth
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

G1: opponent does yawgmoth stuff. I cast hierarch and pass, t2 champion of the parish, meddling mage on yawgmoth. T3 meddling mage on chord of calling, meddling mage on eldritch evolution, no yawgmoth, no gods, no masters.

G2: opponent has a t3 yawgmoth and I have a t3 deputy of detention to hit yawgmoth, followed by a sanctum prelate on 3. We go back and forth and I swing with champions for a bit. Opponent is finally able to chord for 7 to get a yawgmoth but is at 8 life, and I have 2 unsettled mariner on board. Opponent goes to 1 looking for an answer but doesn’t find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Do you like this version more than the pyre/extraction version?