Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I believe our pre-gate term was "X for Y". Cash for Questions, Cash for Peerages, Cash for Influence. In this sense, the UKMT of Spring 2022 continues this noble tradition in its Beer for Kier subtitle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/David_Moscrop/status/1523308134957481991

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
hmm yes unlike the conservative and unionist party which has never raised paramilitary volunteer units to do violence against civilians i am smart and insightful

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Partykurfuffle

Beerfracas

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the conservative / unionist national treaty party

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The one time there was an scandal involving a literal gate, the UK press dropped the ball and failed to christen it Gate-gate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Americans should have gone with the Teapot Dome scandal over Watergate.

Partydome. Beerdome.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
Millenium Dome Dome

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Guavanaut posted:

Americans should have gone with the Teapot Dome scandal over Watergate.

Partydome. Beerdome.

Zinoviev letter.

Partyviev. Beerviev.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

what do people think of novara media as a left news source? i watched some of their videos a while ago and thought maybe but was sceptical that they might be posers with not that much expertise, which is an impression that hasn't really changed yet, but now i've been reading the starmer project book, whose author is a novara contributor, and seen the len mcclusky interview, and also noticed zarah sultana has an article on their main page just now re: the trojan horse affair which i've been listening to and is a good podcast

so now it's the best thing i've seen going despite some reservations about i dunno how to put it...the rigour of the endeavour. i'm open to being wrong on that, too.

i just really really want to nuke my habit of opening the guardian in my browser by replacing it with something else. maybe i can set up some kind of redirect that whenever i enter guardian into my search bar or click on it, it goes there instead.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 8, 2022

Mebh
May 10, 2010

They're ok. More center left for the main two imo, and prone to overdoing it with beating a story into the ground on a soapbox.

Some of their commentators are very sound folks (Ash, Dalia, Barnaby etc.) Like anything, don't make them your only news source, but if you need something to listen to while doing your shopping or working out, you could do a lot worse.

I do wish they just had a news roundup headlines thing though.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

yeah i'm not looking for authoritative opinions on tap or anything like that, but i'm still at the basic dregs level of checking bbc and the guardian for news right now which i want to get out of. i am reticent about the value of daily news in general but, since there is always going to be time to fill in the day, i'd want to replace the noise of the mainstream media with something i am less sure is fundamentally against my values, insidiously planting ideas of how things are in my head.

do you have a suggestion for a second place which would be better or round things out? i could set that to redirect from bbc.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Why do we call everything gate here too. Why don't we have our own proper British term.

The Partyfuomo Affair
The Beerfuomo Affair

IDK it's kind of a mouthful.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It's better than "fracas". At some point in the last few years the media had a hard on for that word and I have no idea why it's so grating, maybe it's just how Brits say foreign words.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Will it be the race for independence now among Scotland and NI.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Dossier was the go to word for a while, especially in conjunction with dodgy.
I've seen it in a few places these days but nothing like as common.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Poser with no actual expertise" has thus far served me quite well my entire life, so as long as they're trying in the right direction I'm probably fine with it tbh.

The idea of an expert left wing authorty is IMO very suspect anyway.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OwlFancier posted:

"Poster with no actual expertise" has thus far served me quite well my entire life, so as long as they're trying in the right direction I'm probably fine with it tbh.

The idea of an expert left wing authorty is IMO very suspect anyway.

Ftfy

(I love owl fanciers insight this is solely a joke)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's also entirely accurate tbf, I just say whatever is in my head and rely entirely on sounding like I know what I'm talking about to persuade people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I see the Dr Who team have solved the energy crisis by getting several molten salt reactors operational on twitter.

https://twitter.com/CARCRASHTV4/status/1523275469348646925

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Guavanaut posted:

I see the Dr Who team have solved the energy crisis by getting several molten salt reactors operational on twitter.

Anyone who does complain has to be behind the times, as it is now canonical that Dr Who is not a time lord, but is a mysterious star baby from another dimension with infinite regenerations, and at least one of these is a black woman.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder what it must be like to believe things stop existing if you see slightly less of them on TV or just around you. Like white people, or flags.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You have to console yourself by going to your non-racist neighbour who keeps a spreadsheet of the ethnicity, skin melanisation, eye colour, and cranial proportions of everyone on the TV adverts.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
RTD knows how to write a Doctor Who without making a complete rear end of himself, so we have that going for us.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ConanThe3rd posted:

RTD knows how to write a Doctor Who without making a complete rear end of himself, so we have that going for us.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Hi goons, a coworker of mine is afraid he's going to be sacked for resisting the plan to get people back in the office.

Any advice for how to do some collective action or unionising a workplace?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesla was right posted:

Hi goons, a coworker of mine is afraid he's going to be sacked for resisting the plan to get people back in the office.

Any advice for how to do some collective action or unionising a workplace?

He can join a union who might help him regardless of if other people are unionised. I say might because the official line for most unions is 'we'll only help with poo poo that started after you joined' to prevent people joining, getting help, and leaving again.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I've got friends who sold up completely and left London thanks to work from home. I dunno what guarantees, if any, they got before doing so. Could be quite a few people in similar situations, dunno what would happen if push came to shove.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Idk, in my office the line is 'your contract says you work in the office, so if we tell you to then you do it'. We're back in two days per week now so the people who moved away either resigned or do both days together and get a hotel for the night every week (which still works out cheaper than living in London).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Did contracts normally include things like that? Like you'd think most people just assumed, where else would you be working?

I suppose they did include all that junk other wise what's the point in them.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
The official line is currently that nobody's being forced into the office, but there's a lot of consent manufacturing and (now) dissent quashing, so I'm going to need to do more than gripe to my sympathetic manager.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Did contracts normally include things like that? Like you'd think most people just assumed, where else would you be working?

I suppose they did include all that junk other wise what's the point in them.

I never bothered checking, but it's probably some vague catch all like 'you agree to work wherever we tell you to work' in case the needed to move offices one day or something.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

"extermination" was right there buddy, you would still have got your racist point across and you would have been able to plausibly backpedal on it as a Doctor Who reference later on. absolute amateur hour

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Yes your employment contract should include a 'normal place of work' which for most organisations is their registered office in companies house. Now that COVID is Officially Over ( :coronatoot: ) the default position would be to return to your normal place of work unless you have renegotiated your contract to alter it to your home

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope he has recurring nightmares of woke daleks going around saying "miscegenate miscegenate"

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

God, I wish I could be there for when someone catches him up on The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

I'll happily take a thousand of that, childish, vaguely halucinary nonsense and all, before I take one more Kerblam, thank you very loving much.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 8, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What was kerblam?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Long story short, The Doctor humps not-Amazon's leg for 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor Who season 10 episode 5: Oxygen, executive producer Steven Moffat

quote:

When the TARDIS is jettisoned by the station's computers, the trio are forced to wear "smartsuits", robotic spacesuits capable of independent operation tied to the station. The suits are also the only source of oxygen, as the mining company does not provide an oxygen atmosphere inside the station, and every activity is measured in breaths. The surviving crew warn them that some suits have received instructions to "deactivate" their "organic components", killing the wearer via an electrical discharge but remaining autonomous.

The Doctor reveals the limit of breaths is an algorithm to stop people "wasting" oxygen, part of the company's automated profit-making system; killing the wearers was just the logical endpoint of corporate profit over human life. He hacks the station's systems to cause the station to self-destruct if they are killed, and convinces the others this is a "good death" and revenge against the corporation. The computers recognise this threat to corporate profits and recalculate the suits' programming, and the zombies turn over their oxygen supplies to the survivors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFSMbv0n5zg

"The end point of capitalism. A bottom line where human life has no value at all. We're fighting an algorithm. A spreadsheet. Like every worker everywhere, we're fighting the suits."

Doctor Who season 11 episode 7: Kerblam!, executive producer Chris Chibnall

quote:

The Thirteenth Doctor and her companions travel to Kerblam!, a galaxy-wide online shopping service consisting of automated warehouses, and a mostly robotic workforce known as "TeamMates". Under the guise of being new employees, the group attempt to find out who sent them a delivery with a call for help. They quickly learn from their new colleagues – Dan Cooper, the company's poster boy; Kira Arlo, a member of the dispatch team; and Charlie Duffy, a maintenance worker who loves Kira – that staff have been vanishing in recent months, and that the company has a strong culture of productivity. When Dan disappears while finding an order, the Doctor suspects something is wrong with the company's artificial intelligence and automated workforce.

...The Doctor uses an early model of TeamMate to speak with Kerblam's AI. She quickly learns it called for her help directly, after suspecting something was wrong with its workforce.

...Charlie quickly admits to being the culprit, explaining that Kira's death was not part of his plans. He reveals his motive was to prevent rampant automation making human workforces redundant. Gaining access to the company, Charlie used the missing staff as test subjects for his weaponised bubble wrap. He intended to use it upon the company's customers, knowing blame for the sudden deaths would be placed upon automation and a lack of human diligence. Realising the company's AI killed Kira to make Charlie understand the severity of his actions, the Doctor reprograms the TeamMates to deliver to themselves and pop the wrap. While the others leave, Charlie remains and perishes in the floor's destruction. In the wake of the incident, Maddox and Slade undertake to rebuild Kerblam with a mostly human workforce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLO2eG2BMwc

"The systems aren't the problem. How people use and exploit the system, that's the problem."

Yeah there's a uh slight change in attitude that happened there. gently caress Chris Chibnall.