Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s a windows 11 interaction with the on processor TPM.

It affects Win10 as well as Win11. But if you have Win10 you're more likely to have fTPM turned off.

If you have Win11 and aren't using the TPM, you can just turn it off. You only need it for either whole-drive bitlocker encryption, or some business poo poo that you probably don't use. It's not some vital security thing that the OS uses constantly to protect itself, ie the bullshit that MS was selling the press on before 11 launch.

You'll get a lovely text watermark on your desktop but that can be removed. VVV edit: oh good! don't run 11 myself so I'm not up on what changes week to week.

Also if you are using bitlocker and aren't sure whether your keys are in the TPM or not, deff have a backup key.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Actually I think Microsoft removed that watermark themselves. I just checked and I no longer have it, despite running with fTPM disabled.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Odd - I literally just enabled fTPM on my 3960X to upgrade to Windows 11 (to get autoHDR) and saw the discussion

Turning it off after the upgrade doesn't seem to have any adverse effects or watermarks

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It's great playing a game / watching a video / listening to music and your entire system seems to seize for a second and you get terrible audio.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Re: BIOS chat last page: do you folks routinely update your BIOS just because a new version came out? I generally just let it ride unless there's some buggy behavior I'm trying to address.

The general advice is don't update unless you have a specific reason. But Cygni is correct that AMD is churning AGESA a lot which requires updated BIOS to get it. If you want the new stuff you'll have to update. But if you don't need new stuff then don't update, because there's always the possibility of introducing new bugs/regressions, and actually this happens quite often on AMD because of how hard AMD is churning the AGESA code. Partners are having to patch around new bugs in AMD's stuff and then AMD changes it again and breaks everything. The "socket support for 5 years" stuff is very difficult on both AMD and partners.

There is very very rarely a compelling performance reason to update BIOS if everything is working - if your processor is supported, then whatever you get 6 months after launch is going to be within 1-2% of what you get when you retire the system. You upgrade because you need new processor support or new features, or maybe AMD finally fixes the USB bug :haw:

Actually it also bears saying that new BIOS can also regress performance too, especially if they do a patch that addresses the Spectre-vulnerability-of-the-week and some workaround hurts performance a little bit.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Paul MaudDib posted:

The general advice is don't update unless you have a specific reason. But Cygni is correct that AMD is churning AGESA a lot which requires updated BIOS to get it. If you want the new stuff you'll have to update. But if you don't need new stuff then don't update, because there's always the possibility of introducing new bugs/regressions, and actually this happens quite often on AMD because of how hard AMD is churning the AGESA code. Partners are having to patch around new bugs in AMD's stuff and then AMD changes it again and breaks everything. The "socket support for 5 years" stuff is very difficult on both AMD and partners.

There is very very rarely a compelling performance reason to update BIOS if everything is working - if your processor is supported, then whatever you get 6 months after launch is going to be within 1-2% of what you get when you retire the system. You upgrade because you need new processor support or new features, or maybe AMD finally fixes the USB bug :haw:

Actually it also bears saying that new BIOS can also regress performance too, especially if they do a patch that addresses the Spectre-vulnerability-of-the-week and some workaround hurts performance a little bit.
Yup, generally if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Also worth noting that for instance if you are running windows, the necessary microcode updates to protect you from the Spectre-vulnerability-of-the-week are loaded at runtime by the OS as long as you are up to date on windows update. Doing it in a BIOS update doesn't change the level of protection you get, it just makes it kick in even before the OS loads, which for Spectre/Meltdown/etc is basically entirely irrelevant since if they have code that could exploit those running BEFORE the OS loads it would mean your system is already completely owned.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Got myself a $160 5600 non-x and a $80 Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro-F both brand new, because why not.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That's a great deal, you've done well there. Even the non-X variation of the 5600 is a mighty fine CPU

Be sure to update the BIOS so you get that smart memory access goodness

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The temps on my 5800x3d were pretty high, It turns out I didn't tighten my cooler all the way. Repasted and re-seated my cooler and it was still hitting like 81-86, so I tried undervolting my 3080 founders edition for the first time and that seems to have helped. Founders edition exhausts at my cpu (mostly under it) which wasn't a problem with my 3700x.

I followed this guide https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/tw8j6r/there_are_two_methods_people_follow_when/
Also for some reason my gpu is no longer 100% usage in "ugly" indie game Ragnorium

mdxi posted:

Every major hardware site and several minor ones put out reviews of it over the past two weeks. Googling the part number returns a page full of youtube and written review links.
I didn't mean the 15-20 almost identical benchmarks, I was looking for more detailed info about it's unique characteristics like bios settings it would prefer. Great performance in MMO's and flight sim VR are the two newest developments I've seen.

I tested VR chat and was getting closer to stable 90fps ultra in poor conditions than ever before, it must really smooth out the 1% lows.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Well there really aren't many BIOS settings for it to prefer, since most boards don't expose anything for it given the locked off OC toggles.

If you really want to get sporty, you can try adjusting BCLK up a couple of MHz, but this produces a totally negligible performance boost at the risk of driving other devices (like your SSD) nuts. So frankly no point in bothering.

It is the most utterly boring settings CPU you can buy right now outside of a non-X one, because you simply can't tinker with it on most boards. If you've got one of the few that expose some functional voltage slides, you can try undervolting it and seeing where that gets you, but AMD has gone on record saying the VCache isn't happy much above what it's already set at.

The same memory timings preferences for it apply across the entire Zen lineup.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Yeah I'm fine leaving it all default auto. I was just kinda curious. I may try the undervolt someday, but I got the temps down to below 75° C so it should be nailing it's boosts.

I did read an article that ram speed may also be less relevant for the 5800x3d, someone was only getting 1% improvements in several games from 3200 to 3800. The theory being that the v cache is smoothing that bottleneck as well.

I've never even come close to a ram overclock and at this point I'm not repeating the frustration of trying, beyond hitting xmp/docp for what the ram says it can hit.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah the dude who did a really really deep dive on the titles which the 5800X3D had big gains on came to that exact conclusion; you could make up some of the gains using a 5800x and insanely tricked out ram because the X3D gained almost nothing comparatively.

memory overclocking is a gigantic pain in the add so I kind of broadly agree with HUB that this is more of a feature than a bug.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CoolCab posted:

yeah the dude who did a really really deep dive on the titles which the 5800X3D had big gains on came to that exact conclusion; you could make up some of the gains using a 5800x and insanely tricked out ram because the X3D gained almost nothing comparatively.

memory overclocking is a gigantic pain in the add so I kind of broadly agree with HUB that this is more of a feature than a bug.

Never mind the RAM, you’re also playing the FCLK lottery.

Has anyone seen reports of the zen3 “FCLK hole” and if it’s any different on the x3d? I’d assume that it’s all the same as the stacked part isn’t in that path but silicon internals are dark magic.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 8, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
speaking of the mess of overclocking, it appears companies like asus and msi released the agesa 1207 update for 570 boards ... in a beta version

the results sound mixed so far, so maybe agesa 1207b will do it! hopefully 1.2.0.7.c.final.final.final.oklastone.docx will be safe to flash to

as an x470 owner, i appreciate people who got the latest getting to test it out for the rest of us. and at least companies like asus label the update as a beta fairly visibly, assuming you download from their main website

i've also settled on "everything auto/docp" so far for my 5800X3D. does locking in pbt still provide something in terms of performance/thermals, even though it's just explicitly stating the max settings rather than directly undervolting?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah plus if you know this and you know the gains are limited you could conceivably use that to offset cost of chasing insane samsung b dies stable cl14 whatever madness. sticks of whatever 3600 iirc is the magic number there cl16 that are cheap just set to XMP get you almost all of the performance and you don't need to worry about stability at all or the weirdness around ram OCing ie running only two sticks or need to play the silicon lottery with any of your components really.

when i went hunting i found very competitively priced micron e dies (4x8 Crucial Ballstix 3600 CL16 i got for £93 on decent promo) but there was still clear price differentiation between those sticks and any that turn up on those reddit b die lists or whatever, unless you got lucky and someone was clearing old stock and i mean it's a crapshoot even then. i have a 3900x i lucked into right now and the only chip i have any interest at all in replacing it with would be the 5800X3D, the rest of the gains seem very marginal. maybe in a few years if they keep making them, or secondhand.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Rumor: AMD Phoenix RDNA3 iGPU could be as fast as the slowest GeForce RTX 3060 mobile GPU

GOD YES, PLEASE.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

That would be pretty cool.

Bets on desktop APUs getting dragged along on the upgrade train, versus some weird fuckery like getting a single-gen bump from Vega to RDNA(1)?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
don't think there's any solid rumours about Zen 4 desktop APUs yet but the rumour is that all 7000 series CPUs are going to come with very cut-down RDNA2 integrated graphics, so any more fully-featured APUs would surely have RDNA2 as the bare minimum and potentially RDNA3 since that's what all the mobile parts are

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lih posted:

don't think there's any solid rumours about Zen 4 desktop APUs yet but the rumour is that all 7000 series CPUs are going to come with very cut-down RDNA2 integrated graphics, so any more fully-featured APUs would surely have RDNA2 as the bare minimum and potentially RDNA3 since that's what all the mobile parts are

Yeah, for socketed desktop specifically, there is very little market motivation to make a big iGPU part. Raphael will have a very basic RDNA2 unit, according to the leaks. I assume the motivation is feature parity with Intel and cheaper corporate desktops/laptop parts from a wafer perspective, but its a different die space and market trade off than AMD has made with the rest of the Zen parts.

It's funny, back when AMD bought ATI in 2006, they talked about how "Fusion" would be their corporate philosophy and AMD's top end CPUs would get IGPs some day. Took a long time, but it looks like AMD's top desktop CPU will finally have an IGP in 2022, which would be their first ever I believe?*

*unless you count those few weeks where Bristol Ridge on AM4 was technically AMD's most advanced desktop CPU, lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
These are all gonna use DDR5 right, including the mobile ones? That would partially explain a jump in performance for integrated GPUs. More bandwidth is more better.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The LPDDR5 on the Steam Deck with a low power RDNA2 iGPU is already pretty great for 800p, so it’s only going to get better.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I don't think so.

Best I'll give the RDNA3 iGPU is RX570 like performance. Even a crap mobile 3060 has over 300 GB/s memory bandwidth I think. Dual channel DDR5 is at best a third of that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have lost track of how long I have been begging for iGPUs to do at least on par with a -30 NVidia part or a -400 AMD part.

At some point it morphed into "at least a 750ti, look at how efficient that poo poo is", and now we're finally at the point where GCN is dead and an iGPU is rumored to be punching with an undervolted 3060.

FINALLY, AMD is starting to live up to their CPU+GPU on the same socket ambitions from back when they bought ATI.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Seamonster posted:

I don't think so.

Best I'll give the RDNA3 iGPU is RX570 like performance. Even a crap mobile 3060 has over 300 GB/s memory bandwidth I think. Dual channel DDR5 is at best a third of that.

The 60W 3060 is around 1070ti performance, I think, so the target is closer to 200GB/s and the iGPU configuration could be stacked towards more infinity cache per CU for bandwidth amplification.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have lost track of how long I have been begging for iGPUs to do at least on par with a -30 NVidia part or a -400 AMD part.

At some point it morphed into "at least a 750ti, look at how efficient that poo poo is", and now we're finally at the point where GCN is dead and an iGPU is rumored to be punching with an undervolted 3060.

FINALLY, AMD is starting to live up to their CPU+GPU on the same socket ambitions from back when they bought ATI.

I've been waiting for this since Llano 11 years ago!

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 10, 2022

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kills the business of selling low-end GPUs, but I suppose AMD and Intel figure that hurts Nvidia more than them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so long suckers I'm never buying a GPU again!!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

B-die actually is actually crashing to normal RAM prices now!
DDR4-4400 cl19 (8.6ns) 16 gig kit for $73 after coupon on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KXLFDL6/

A slightly better bin was similarly priced and posted on r/buildapcsales but sold out fast.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah, dr vg noticed similar in another thread. i wonder if this is the influence of the ultra high end moving over to intel and ddr5 and leaving demand for these flatter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And with the 5800x3d out as the last hurrah of DDR4 performance platforms it’s probably the last chance to get any premium price over the cheapest commodity JEDEC speeds at all. You might just get some impulse purchases from those that have a high end build they want to last for years that will impulse buy the “best” to go with their “best” CPU and GPU. (It’s me, I’m the guy that did that)

Eventually for each ram type the main market is going to be embedded where tuning ram means “can we draw less power and go slower”

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FuturePastNow posted:

Kills the business of selling low-end GPUs, but I suppose AMD and Intel figure that hurts Nvidia more than them.

When the pre-pandemic cryptoboom happened, I was stuck on a Dell 7577 with a 4c/8t Intel something and a 1060 Max-Q, and I rode that for three years. I would be perfectly happy to get that but in a thin-and-light form factor plus or minus a few percent, Phoenix should be guaranteed to exceed that mark, and have better battery life when doing it.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

After a little over a year I've now dumped my AMD-based Thinkpad (X13) for an Intel-based Matebook X.

In theory using some non-Intel hardware is great, but in practice it drags in so many weird components for everything other than the CPU itself that are just not as battle-tested in the Linux world. I ended up with hardware issues that felt very 2012 (unable to resume from suspend, USB ports stop working until pinhole reset, etc.) and just don't have the time for that.

Maybe in a few years, but I think until then ARM will have eaten everyone's lunch anyways.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Right around the same time as the year of the linux desktop, I reckon.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Irony time: a friend of mine has a laptop from System76, the linux PC maker. He got it 2nd hand and does nothing with linux himself. But the original owner gave him a really nice deal and I was like "we get a cheap key and put win10 on it, no problem!"

On Windows it has issues with sleep & resume! :doh:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Right around the same time as the year of the linux desktop, I reckon.

I'm actually trying linux on desktop as primary OS myself, and it's been problem free in terms of anything related to hardware. Power & sleep work fine. All my USBs are good, including usb audio (though my usb DAC is a UAC2 device ie a generic open standard). Even bluetooth has worked ok.

Admittedly this is an AMD desktop. Laptops are always where stuff is funky.

IMO the problem right now is that as much as hardware has improved, the desktop has really regressed in terms of software compatibility. I've had some really interesting X11-vs-wayland issues. And gtk-vs-qt is back to being really annoying to interoperate.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

testing out my new 5800X3D

This means temps are fine and it's limited by power, right?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tamba posted:

The main issue may be the power limit, but cooler temps could potentially get you a few percent more performance. I wouldn't worry about it if this is a worst-case stress test though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tamba posted:

Is that prime95? Try running a lighter loaded test that is all cores but not AVX like say OCCT’s memory tests. You should see 4.45GHz on all cores, if not you technically can use more cooling but it probably doesn’t matter much.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It's Cinebench

e:

hobbesmaster posted:

Is that prime95? Try running a lighter loaded test that is all cores but not AVX like say OCCT’s memory tests. You should see 4.45GHz on all cores, if not you technically can use more cooling but it probably doesn’t matter much.
Yeah, I can confirm that:

My fans don't even spin up to audible levels with that test

e2:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hardware Unboxed found the 5800X3D to have a cinebench R23 score of 14221 in the multi-threaded test. If your CPU matches that or gets close, then it's behaving as expected.

14224 multi core, 1422 single core, so basically spot on

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 13, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tamba posted:

It's Cinebench

Hardware Unboxed found the 5800X3D to have a cinebench R23 score of 14221 in the multi-threaded test. If your CPU matches that or gets close, then it's behaving as expected.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
speaking of cinebench, i get 4.35 hz or something like that multi core with a d15 on a 5800X3D which seems good, but the single core hangs at 3.3-3.9 most of the time. i assumed it would be the other way around in terms of frequency, or is cb23 just weird like that?

i have my minimum cpu usage at like 10% to save power on the windows balanced plan, but i don't know how windows and ryzen are at making sure to max out for tasks like that and gamse without being explicitly told so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Run cinebench while under the “ultimate performance” power plan and see if it’s any different.