Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

Speaking of, why doesn't Wong have the cape?

Because it's sentient and it chose Dr. Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Codependent Poster posted:

Because it's sentient and it chose Dr. Strange.
Wasn't that because he was supreme at the time?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

Wasn't that because he was supreme at the time?

No, he was getting his rear end kicked by Kaecillius and accidentally freed the cloak which ended up helping him and then joining him.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I just want a whole phase of Dr doom and latveria being a giant problem

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I loved the possession sequence when Wanda dream-walked into her alternate self. The dead-eyed stare from the photograph was such a fun touch.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I have to say, when Dr Strange and Christine get trapped in the doomed incursion universe never did I suspect that "Strange reanimates a dead alternate self and forms an armor and cloak made out of the spirits of the damned" to be the resolution. Movie good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Doronin posted:

I feel like they have to do something with him to explain just wtf. He was running some kind of hustle with a fighting tournament in Asia (Shang Chi), then last seen telling Strange "you do you, whatever lol" and peacing out (NWH), and he's just straight up bad at his job in this movie.

New theory: Wong's a Skrull

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Away all Goats posted:

I have to say, when Dr Strange and Christine get trapped in the doomed incursion universe never did I suspect that "Strange reanimates a dead alternate self and forms an armor and cloak made out of the spirits of the damned" to be the resolution. Movie good.

It has to be what I liked most about this movie. Like, yeah. Its a Marvel. We know the plot neats by now. But the interconnected tissue always felt like a big surprise.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Total Meatlove posted:

It didn’t feel well handled for me because the death of Black Bolt was almost beat for beat the killing of the Deaf superhero in The Boys, and it just felt hack. I’m also really surprised the bbfc left it at a 12 for that part of that scene.

Not really beyond the basic premise of superheroes being killed in gory comical ways. And the Boys gets a lot of milage out of the variations that can be done on that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
went in completely blind except seeing a teaser that had totally-not-shuma-gorath in it. was pretty solid, and just had some wildly fun aspects to it, like the whole zombie strange part, and I didn't know about the cameos so that was super cool to see. fantastic four was a childhood favorite of mine, so to see, at least briefly, an MCU taste of it, was really exciting. I was so, so disappointed in all of their prior movies, so this gives me some hope they'll do something interesting with them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bushisms.txt posted:

Whatever they do, if they can't get the rights in order than can keep it. It really hurts that Wanda versus the Illuminati is the closest we'll get to world war hulk.

But they are planning World War Hulk movie? Or did that get canceled?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That was never a thing

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Loved so many of the visual flourishes and let's-see-what-we-can-get-away with horror, loved the gleeful macabre elements in the climax, but phwooey. This was just a stinker as a piece of storytelling for me, and incompetent in ways that even the most rote of the usual Marvel stuff doesn't manage.

I feel a bit sorry for the team, as it doesn't seem like this was their fault - but you can feel the sweat and desperation of a rapidly reworked movie in multiple scenes where the characters keep awkwardly asking writers'-room questions to try and talk their way around around the sloppy plot logic, and just end up drawing attention to the problem by dwelling on it. "Guys, wait! If Wanda knew that America had entered her own universe and could send a monster instantly to her location to find her, and later on we learn that she could also possess other versions of herself to find America in any universe, why did she need all the monsters to begin with? Couldn't she just have found the kid instantly herself with zero fuss, undue attention or collateral damage?" "Ah, well, you see, she was being reasonable.".

Olsen does fine work, but what's more interesting and telling is how dull and forgettable its other villain is: It is sad that Sam Raimi, of all people, can't make an evil magic book even slightly sinister or mysterious. Was it also worked into the plot at the last moment? It must have been. The scene where Wanda reveals herself and the ruined grove is initially very neat. What's happened to our hero, we wonder? What could have made her like this? Instant cutaway shot to a CGI book vaguely floating there. Strange instantly identifies it as the Darkhold, shows very little surprise about it and makes no effort to seize it, and notes that it must have made Wanda evil before leaving again.

I don't necessarily have a good ear for camp, so maybe I'm missing something that other people are enjoying in the pic, but one line aside (Full points for 'You'll have to do better than killing me if you want to kill me!', which got the right kind of laughs in my showing), the dialogue rarely felt like good ripe cheese from a director having fun with the material, and more like a creative team landing some real obtuse clunkers at every turn as they tried to make sense of what they'd been given. (Poor Patrick Stewart, having to trowel over a perfectly fine visual metaphor with the line "Perhaps if I free you from this rubble...I can free you from the spell!" Yeuch. Blech. What? )

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Jedit posted:

Wandavision doesn't deal with an alternate reality in the multiverse; it's all Wanda altering the standard reality.

Wandavision was written to be a love letter to decades of American television, and they built the story around that (rather than the reverse). It could have easily been an alternate reality story, and they could have played the Pietro appearance straight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ravel posted:

Wandavision was written to be a love letter to decades of American television, and they built the story around that (rather than the reverse). It could have easily been an alternate reality story, and they could have played the Pietro appearance straight.

Wandavision generally just kept threatening to be a much more interesting story than it was.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Hulk rights are extremely weird because the rights to a "Hulk movie" are held by Universal. But not the rights to use the character, which is why he turns up in Thor movies or similar but not his own since The Incredible Hulk.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Regarding the cameo Do we get fully powered up Reed where he can stretch or pre space launch Reed? Because if it's the former, I'm curious how they work that in and where the FF has been all this time

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BiggerBoat posted:

Regarding the cameo Do we get fully powered up Reed where he can stretch or pre space launch Reed? Because if it's the former, I'm curious how they work that in and where the FF has been all this time

It's just a version of Reed from another universe, fully powered up.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Dr Strange's most powerful and disrespectful weapons:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Upsidads posted:

:hmmyes:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Upsidads posted:

This, but also a solution.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

stev posted:

It's just a version of Reed from another universe, fully powered up.

Ah, yes, of course it is.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Anyone got grabs from all the other verses showing anything of import? I heard living tribunal was in one

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think it's very funny how Mordo is always like, "Strange cannot be allowed to continue! He'll gently caress everything up and imperil trillions!" and then Strange fucks everything up and imperils trillions but the movie makes Strange the hero because he's accomplished his own personal goal and Mordo the villain for worrying about dumb stuff like not destabilizing the universe.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I think it's very funny how Mordo is always like, "Strange cannot be allowed to continue! He'll gently caress everything up and imperil trillions!" and then Strange fucks everything up and imperils trillions but the movie makes Strange the hero because he's accomplished his own personal goal and Mordo the villain for worrying about dumb stuff like not destabilizing the universe.

Yeah Dr. Strange in the MCU is a pretty chaotic influence considering how little thought he seems to put into his actions most of the time.

Like he probably knew there was a chance the damned he used for his shield would get loose and enslave humanity or something and was like "eh if it goes that way I'll just deal with it."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This, but also a solution.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

An MCU classic

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love the Dutch angle zombie wink after the super sincere speech. It loving cracks me up and it’s so Raimi

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
John Krasinski looked like he was playing Reid Richards in an SNL sketch.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That’s more the fault of the costume from the comics. There’s not much to do with it. I found it alright - it was the best they can do.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm really curious when they decided they would have Krasinski show up as Reed. Early rumors had Marvel wanting Jessica Alba to come back as Sue Storm. I wonder if they got him after they couldn't get Alba.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MCU isn't really strong in the costuming department either.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

mcmagic posted:

John Krasinski looked like he was playing Reid Richards in an SNL sketch.

Everything he’s done after the office has made him look goofy as gently caress

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I'm really curious when they decided they would have Krasinski show up as Reed. Early rumors had Marvel wanting Jessica Alba to come back as Sue Storm. I wonder if they got him after they couldn't get Alba.

Reed is a staple of the illuminati in the comics so that scene wouldn't really have worked without him.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I know some of the faker leaks stated Ioan Gruffud would fill the role istead of Krasinski,and I was actually all about that. That man was a good casting choice for Reed stuck in two terrible lovely movies. But this works too,I suppose. I'm not keen on Krasinski, but then again, I'm not keen on Modern Reed Richards, so it works!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Everything he’s done after the office has made him look goofy as gently caress

I actually like Quiet Place but overall I agree with you.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

massive spider posted:

The Hulk rights are extremely weird because the rights to a "Hulk movie" are held by Universal. But not the rights to use the character, which is why he turns up in Thor movies or similar but not his own since The Incredible Hulk.
This actually isn’t fully correct. Universal basically is just entitled to first refusal to distribute a Hulk movie. Marvel/Disney can actually produce a Hulk movie if they want, dissimilar to a character like Spider-Man who they actively can’t independently make a movie about. The issue is that if they did make the movie, Universal would basically get to distribute it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Big money weekend

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1523350767930777601?s=21&t=UuRBRAu-CSO3DpeYi31nJg

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

drat. Marvel owns Hollywood. Admittedly for family movies it does work well even as cinema they aren't greatness.

Good job Raimi, Cumberbatch and Olsen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Movie fun. I like villain Wanda a lot, but it's noticeably weird that Vision never comes up, even in passing. He wasn't needed by any means, but it felt jarring that after a season of her getting over losing him her entire motivation is her magic kids. Which, I still don't get why she can't just magic them back into existence, or heck, maybe go back on the dating scene. You're still young Wanda! & you're smoking! Or go to a sperm donor. That all said, Olsen sold the poo poo out of the performance so none of that bothered me while watching.

Laughed when a handful of sorcerers brought out bow and arrows to deal with Wanda.

Also laughed that she rolled in on a big ominous black cloud, but moments later when Stephen goes up to chat it's back to a sunny day.

Could have used more music note fights, it's disappointing that more movies haven't learned the lessons of Legion that creative magic fights are so much more memorable than two people going HAAAAAAARRH at eachother. Everything Everywhere All At Once was a better multi-verse movie for that reason.

I was bummed they didn't have Wanda do more reality-altering magic.