Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

the enby Archangel Gabby who has a black trumpet which will cleanse the world of boomers

Alright, you have my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Saagonsa posted:

I think there's something to be said about how atomized a lot of people are to the point of their perceived only options for dating are dating apps, which can be absolute hell for self esteem. It's not hard to see why some people come out of that kinda hosed up. The violent misogyny is less excusable, however.

Right. I've met a lot of other sensible people who insist that the only way to meet partners is via dating apps, and I can see how if you believe that, it could play hell with your mind. But like you said, that path doesn't have to lead you towards conspiratorial hate.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

nonathlon posted:

Right. I've met a lot of other sensible people who insist that the only way to meet partners is via dating apps, and I can see how if you believe that, it could play hell with your mind. But like you said, that path doesn't have to lead you towards conspiratorial hate.

Yeah, dating apps seem to create some weird binary in people's heads where you habe to exvlusively use them. I used them, and people would say "oh, I stick to meeting people in real life" and a) do they think dating apps work like Weird Science? and b) they understand that they can be used in addition to traditional ways of meeting people, right?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A woman at work recently started using online dating apps. The first dude she met scammed her out of $23k

She went back to the apps for some reason :(

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s not surprising that so many people never get to gently caress. 90-95% of the population is undateable.

Undateable!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

nonathlon posted:

It doesn't help that it's genuinely hard to even make new friends as an adult. And that was before covid. Social inertia gives you that cool dynamic where someone throws a party and then everyone who comes by just hangs out exclusively with people they already know and don't bother talking to anyone new. I've been guilty of it myself and in some ways it ends up feeling pretty similar to dating apps because physical appearance and first impressions still matter a lot

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Len posted:

A woman at work recently started using online dating apps. The first dude she met scammed her out of $23k

She went back to the apps for some reason :(
It doesn't seem like the app was the problem there. You can meet a dude who'll try to scam you all kinds of places.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tiggum posted:

It doesn't seem like the app was the problem there. You can meet a dude who'll try to scam you all kinds of places.

It was more of agreeing that some people think the apps are how it's done now adays

The new one is an American military man in the south sudan and everyone in the office just kind of sighed when she started talking about him. It's just sad

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Over here in South East Asia, they are always middle aged white men who work in oil rigs and could you help them collect a package that a random phone number will tell you violates local customs laws and you have to pay a sum high enough for you to remortgage your home

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Over here it's 2 very short men, one on the other's shoulders hidden under a trenchcoat. "Your date" generously offers to pay for coffee on the first date, but when it comes to dinner, they eat for two and stuff you with the bill!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

oldpainless posted:

It’s not surprising that so many people never get to gently caress. 90-95% of the population is undateable.

Undateable!
More like gently caress you I'm not taking the bait.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The first guy was a guy who lives in Virginia over in Germany on business but then they wouldn't let him leave and it was either because his visa was expired or because he had Russian citizen ship so send him money to help get it sorted out.

He was also a very private man and didn't like her telling people about him

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I had a coworker who got fished by ladies in the Phillipines twice and scammed out of big chunks of money both times, then got so upset about it he repeatedly hosed up at work and got fired over it when he started yelling at customers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My wife made friends with this ukrainian chick over here married to a retired army officer twice her age in an obvious green card sham. Not sure how I feel morally about this but she's a great person to hang out with, and always pays for food and weed. Does this make me a sugar baby by proxy?

It really baffles me that the husband is cool with this situation. He seems to genuinely think they're in true love.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

oldpainless posted:

Undateable!

TLDR: literally no one is unfuckable/undatable. Incels gently caress up because they think they offer more than they do, while trying to date people who aren't looking for what they're offering. (E.g. most twenty year olds are mostly interested in dating within their age bracket but incels have that weird dating stuff about egg freshness.)

I mean, they'd say I'm 'undatable' because I have level 2 ASD which makes long term relationships 'hard'. But it turns out that I can just write "neuroatypical' on my profile, explain that I can only do casual or semi-formal relationships and I still get plenty of dates with people from all kinds of backgrounds.

[On a side note I've been 'the other guy' in a poly relationship twice now which is what I describe to my psychologist as the army reserve of dating. i.e., "two weekends a month, two weeks a year". And yes this paragraph only exists so I can make that joke here.]

In closing, dating apps are great if bars would literally be form of torture for you and incels just need to do some deep soul searching to figure out what they're actually bringing to dating and match with people that want those things.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think a tonne of people on dating apps are in a sense doing it traditionally by focusing solely on looks. The strength, even Tinder, is using the profiles to find compatible/interesting people.

Regardless, if someone was stunning, there was just no point in me swiping for them if they had no profile -- I need some clue as to what to talk about.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
as someone who has met 3 people I ended up marrying on dating apps. they do work, but have something to talk about.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Watching someone continually post on social media is not remotely stalking you strange strange person.

OK, "stalking" was a poor choice of word. But it's more concise than "laughing at the increasingly precarious mental state of"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

sneakyfrog posted:

as someone who has met 3 people I ended up marrying on dating apps. they do work, but have something to talk about.

Unless this is a polyamorous situation, I'd suggest perhaps a small flaw in your definition of "working." :v:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

sneakyfrog posted:

I collect spores, molds, and Funkopops.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

old bean factory posted:

I would swipe right on Egon. Someone needs to stop him drilling into his brain :(

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i didnt really learn about the "having something to talk about" until the last one. it's been almost 10 years now and we have a kiddo :unsmith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In general the thing with incels is they basically have exactly the same ideas and tastes when it comes to sexuality as the worst boomers, but don't have any of the unearned confidence or privilege to actually leverage it. Also, they got romcom poisoning, bad. Combine that with general shut-in nerd cycles of retreating from reality and still having the idea that their life has to go according to a particular plan or they are a failure, and poo poo gets bad, fast.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The romcom poisoning has been addressed a lot in the last 20 years but it's still pretty bad and still feels weirdly under-recognized.

I and I suspect most cis/het dudes had to do some quick unlearning of the narrative boy culture is saturated in where "self-actualization = 'hot girl' partner." That poo poo doesn't fly, even in teenage dating.

Incels get to their 30s or higher still clinging to those ideas.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
At least when I can't get dates I have the decency to turn my loathing inwards.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
When I fail to get dates, I don't have sour grapes, instead I just don't give a fig.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Dating apps can work but they require both parties to be honest with the app and use all of it’s facets so the algorithm pairs you accurately.

My wife and I both had a “meh” experience with Match.com until we were honest with ourselves in who/what we were looking for—even if it made you feel shallow. It matched us up and we both had the exact experience with the app, and say the same advice.

We have been married 8 years now and it is the best relationship I ever had. :3:

I have a friend couple who are also married who say the exact thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

old bean factory posted:

sneakyfrog collects wives

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

BioEnchanted posted:

When I fail to get dates, I don't have sour grapes, instead I just don't give a fig.

Definitely no figging on the first date, either

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

oldpainless posted:

Undateable!

more like oldsexless

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

oldpainless posted:

Undateable!

You can date anyone after their carbon-14 ratio starts to noticeably decrease.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Karia posted:

You can date anyone after their carbon-14 ratio starts to noticeably decrease.

Somewhere a libertarian is trying to date a dinosaur skeleton because they misunderstood the term "carbon-14."

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Splicer posted:

sneakyfrog collects wives

suppose it beats funko pops :shrug:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Gammons upset that black man gets acting job.

https://twitter.com/OTVDesk/status/1523334524720930817
https://twitter.com/DavidBHerbert/status/1523311785259855872
https://twitter.com/TruIeeIy/status/1523418504279461888
https://twitter.com/Bath_SomerUKIP/status/1523308488771964928
https://twitter.com/Simon_QPR/status/1523330570650103810
https://twitter.com/CurtisGerard/status/1523274156472680448
https://twitter.com/GrumpyOldLady18/status/1523311132165173248
https://twitter.com/calvinrobinson/status/1523305125254737927
https://twitter.com/TomDavidson09/status/1523346429858959361/photo/1

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Oh no they’ve made the fictional alien man black!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Yes, everyone knows that time-traveling aliens with two hearts can only be straight white men.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But the previous one was a woman wasn’t it?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's masturbatory, but you can trap 'em pretty easily. Either get them to admit they haven't actually watched the silly sci-fi show in 20 years, or when they inevitably say that they liked David Tennant (because he was the most visible/popular of the last 20 years) point out that the show was run by a gay man and more camp than a Drag Show in the woods.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yup! and the past-- check notes-- Twelve (or fourteen depending on how you count certain extra-continuity versions) were all straight white dudes.

It's that "virtue signaling" they're very quick to deride others for. They couldn't give less of an actual gently caress, they just need to send up the signal so their supporters know they're still providing a smokescreen for racism.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 23:25 on May 8, 2022

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

CharlestheHammer posted:

The same assholes were outraged about that also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The real irony is that the past few years of the show have been bad even by the very low standards of Doctor Who, complete with the showrunner trying to speedrun a bunch of "demographic firsts" (first time we saw a black lady version of The Doctor, first time we saw a POC version of The Master).