Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

stealie72 posted:

If you ever can't figure out why something is the way it is in America, it saves a lot of time to start with racism first, then work outwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Actually nevermind.

I don’t want to participate in this poo poo.

gently caress this country.

Take care of your mental health, folks, because they don’t loving make it easy, do they?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

Take care of your mental health, folks, because they don’t loving make it easy, do they?
Not unless a rich person can make money on it, no.

But if you want to lose money you can't afford betting on sports, there's like 10 apps for that.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just loving lol that peter thiel is going to corner the magic mushroom market

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Lol what

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2020212952&tab=PCTBIBLIO

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I meant the Thiel component. Wow this is great though, now that Elon Musk is the foremost expert on mental health and said he's heard good things about using mushrooms and that medications prescribed by physicians are bad, it gives people a chance to get well AND for a billionaire to profit

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 8, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

maffew buildings posted:

I meant the Thiel component. Wow this is great though, now that Elon Musk is the foremost expert on mental health and said he's heard good things about using mushrooms and that medications prescribed by physicians are bad, it gives people a chance to get well AND for a billionaire to profit

Coming soon: SpacedX.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Esoteric Fascists are really into psychedelics plus it’s a way to dIsRuPt HeAlThCaRe

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I can't help but be cynical and believe it's to further criminalize more drugs by putting them out of reach for the masses.

Peter Thiel is a literal eugenics and transhumanism advocate. Nothing good will come from him touching drugs, especially when the last war on drugs made up by billionaires made it easier to terrorize minorites.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Esoteric Fascists are really into psychedelics plus it’s a way to dIsRuPt HeAlThCaRe

Just like ketamine is the ~future of antidepressants~...at ~$500 per treatment that's never covered by health insurance.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's esketamine, only half the ketamine molecule. From a lazy glance, they split the molecule so they could patent esketamine, because ketamine is well into generic age territory.

I'm not particularly a fan of pharmaceuticals, and have even less trust when it comes to brain meds. I realize some people need to be thorazined out and they genuinely can be helpful, but not for the mass market, that's just a profit grab.

I might need to poke around and see if I can find some shrooms. Aside from the first time, whenever I've eaten shrooms, it's been pleasantly introspective. Been over a decade since the last time I bought a bag.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's esketamine, only half the ketamine molecule. From a lazy glance, they split the molecule so they could patent esketamine, because ketamine is well into generic age territory.

I'm not particularly a fan of pharmaceuticals, and have even less trust when it comes to brain meds. I realize some people need to be thorazined out and they genuinely can be helpful, but not for the mass market, that's just a profit grab.

I might need to poke around and see if I can find some shrooms. Aside from the first time, whenever I've eaten shrooms, it's been pleasantly introspective. Been over a decade since the last time I bought a bag.

Google- Uncle Ben's Tek
https://millywyco.com/home/

For educational purposes only

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bulletsponge13 posted:

Google- Uncle Ben's Tek
https://millywyco.com/home/

For educational purposes only

Thank you.

E: lol, thai pink buffalo.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 8, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Badger badger badger badger

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Badger badger badger badger

Musha-Mushroom

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The one of the guys who ran McCain's 2008 campaign has decided he gives no fucks and is going scorched earth on Twitter

You do not have to hand it to him or anything but it's a doozy (most of these are threads)

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1523066920643088385?t=k9spuFNKe-c_-8aK74Sbnw&s=19

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1523108447088128001?t=seMaZfEQYf_Zln3x3fk_7w&s=19

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1523120066472013824?t=lI1OrmPGoE_hlSjJBs21hw&s=19

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1523165543691300866?t=0RMRo5j0XvXtXFT3-gLBlg&s=19

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1523200026884800512?t=uIZo2AJtiFctJfn4vK4ceQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1523285089320275968?t=bfAsBZWRER-9r4yFhAWvsg&s=19

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1523336727309422592?t=_tEEdLvVS5AK72Tvj0mOmQ&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/AshishKJha46/status/1523350853352321024
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1522741516048998400

I do not like this administration’s plan.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

I do not like this administration’s plan.

They're really not wrong. The general strategy basically has to be prepping a government-funded mass vaccination plan because everything else is too public opinion-hosed. Government didn't declare COVID to be over just because - that's what people want as they've stopped listening. And Congress isn't ponying up the federal funding because Republicans are embracing the death cult.

And there are a shitload of "TBD"s because we don't know the success rate of omicron-formulated vaccines yet, or if future omicron variants are going to be vaccine-preventable versus vaccine-treatable.

Dave Weigel of WaPo probably got it right - the administration is hosed no matter they do. One extreme is screaming that masks are the death of the republic, the other extreme is screaming that the dropping of mask mandates is forcing euthanasia on the immunocompromised.

poo poo's hosed and we all suck.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Not sure I 100% buy Dr. Jha's analysis there - he's got some valid points but it looks like there's some statistical cherry-picking that overstates his case.

DIVOC-19 has a monthly CFR visualization which averages fatalities/case numbers for the past 30 day window based on JHU data, shown below. It's not a 100% match to Dr. Jha's analysis of daily fatalities/daily case numbers 21 days ago, but if you look at the U.S. Northeast today it comes out to monthly CFR of 0.306% for the Northeast, which looks to be right on the money for Dr. Jha's statements. However, if you do the same analysis 45 days ago the Northeast has CFR numbers of ~2.0% during the Omicron wave.

The U.S. South has also consistently done the worst over the past year in terms of CFR, although the West and Midwest have been close or matching in several waves. The big exception is the Delta wave last Fall, where the South did much worse than the rest of the country in CFR metrics. That may be partially indicative of the better overall protection the Moderna/Pfizer vaccines gave against Delta vs Omicron, although when normalized by population the South and Midwest had similar vaccination uptake at that time, so there may be other factors involved.

When you look at cumulative CFR though you mostly see a convergence across all regions to ~1.0-1.4%. with a noticable downtick during the Omicron surge. This is pretty much in line with the CFR estimates of ~1.0-1.5% throughout the bulk of the pandemic.

There is a noticeable downtick during the Omicron surge, although not as big as you might expect given the huge case numbers posted if Omicron was truly 'mild'. It does seem in line with recent reports that Omicron is/was just as severe as prior variants but the current vaccines provide limited protection to hospitalization and death. Also, the high prior CFR in the Northeast looks to be a lingering holdover of how hard they were initially hit in the 2020 waves.

Not a medical expert, but my general layman's observations:

- CFR rates do seem to significantly go down below the average in between waves - this may be because hospitals have more resources and at-risk people are less likely to be exposed
- During waves the CFR rates go back up above the average, and even in highly vaccinated areas hit 1.0-2.0% or higher. Delta may have been successfully kept lower due to vaccination, but Omicron was still able to hit higher CFR levels even when normalized against case numbers
- Vaccination rates do seem to have some affect in the past two waves, particularly in comparing the Northeast and West to the South and Midwest. Both regions still had significant upticks in CFR rates during Omicron though, which is worrying in light of further variants. It supports the need for new vaccine formulations, but that presents the difficulty in having to mass revaccinate the population to maintain even limited control of CFR rates going forward.
- Dr. Jha has valid points on what regions seem to be implementing better policies, but it's unrealistic to expect that the Northeast or country at large will maintain 0.3% CFR rates into the next wave. We're about ~5 weeks in but still on the initial ramp-up phase, the 4-6 weeks should show if things accelerate as they have in the past or if we're finally at some form of herd immunity that limits the size of the peak. A very big wave will likely still have a significant CFR rate if the Omicron wave is used as a comparison.

So anyways, I'll have a Dave's Double and fries, thanks.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Y'all ready for the GOP's Special Military Operation?

https://twitter.com/JeffSharlet/status/1522544272481861635

Cause holy gently caress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nothing matters, but also, lol.

https://twitter.com/LarrySabato/status/1521885099041730563

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

staticman posted:

It’s things like this that make me feel a little less crazy about trying to low-key coax my more middle-of-the-road liberal friends that whatever their personal feelings regarding firearms ownership may be, they had better get acquainted with the concepts of either making holes or plugging holes. Today’s right wing has dropped the mask and eventually they’ll be coming for anyone they see as a threat, and they have everyone else significantly outgunned.

Even if I can’t get anyone to bite on a “I’ll pay for your ammo” range day, I wish they’d at least be interested in having a talk about personal security or teach them how to apply a tourniquet.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

Actually nevermind.

I don’t want to participate in this poo poo.

everywhere is bad, right? like there's no point in trying to escape?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It’s things like this that make me feel a little less crazy about trying to low-key coax my more middle-of-the-road liberal friends that whatever their personal feelings regarding firearms ownership may be, they had better get acquainted with the concepts of either making holes or plugging holes. Today’s right wing has dropped the mask and eventually they’ll be coming for anyone they see as a threat, and they have everyone else significantly outgunned.

Even if I can’t get anyone to bite on a “I’ll pay for your ammo” range day, I wish they’d at least be interested in having a talk about personal security or teach them how to apply a tourniquet.

This isn't probably the right thread but does anyone have experience with the laser pointer practice systems for firearms? I don't want to pay serious brass prices but need to stay sharp beyond dry fire

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

TFR general question thread would be a better place.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Leaving GIP is scary

Thanks for feedback though

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
TFR is by far the best gun forum on the net and everyone there is super chill. Running out gtab and the other weirdo right wingers turned it into an awesome, pretty left leaning, LGBTQ+ friendly board for firearms enthusiasts. Next to this thread, the coldwar/airpower thread there is the second best place to discuss Land War In Eurasia 2022 Edition.

Also the "racism in the firearms industry" thread is a great place to figure out which brands want to suck and gently caress hitler and the tacticlol thread is a goldmine for seeing/posting the most ridiculous gun dipshittery in the western hemisphere.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

staticman posted:

I wonder if his examples really would be the catalyst that starts a civil war. I think we often over credit the willingness of the right to take up arms, it took lots of work to get them whipped up for the 6th. I don't think the right would be able to control, let alone direct/aim, their angry mob effectively in this scenario.

That being said, every scenario he just wrote will come true. The legal issues that this will cause will go on forever. Hopefully we don't resort to full on civil war, I don't want to have to move/become a freedom fighter.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ASAPI posted:

That being said, every scenario he just wrote will come true. The legal issues that this will cause will go on forever. Hopefully we don't resort to full on civil war, I don't want to have to move/become a freedom fighter.

You won’t. You’ll go to work at your day job just like the rest of us.

There won’t be a civil war. There will be violence like Jan 6, but it won’t be a full scale conflict.

This country is too big, too apathetic, too obsessed with performative activism, and too owned by capitalism.

You think if we had a “confederate troops fire on fort sumpter” moment we would do anything but make it trend?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

boop the snoot posted:

You won’t. You’ll go to work at your day job just like the rest of us.

There won’t be a civil war. There will be violence like Jan 6, but it won’t be a full scale conflict.

This country is too big, too apathetic, too obsessed with performative activism, and too owned by capitalism.

You think if we had a “confederate troops fire on fort sumpter” moment we would do anything but make it trend?

I think you are correct. Like I said, we like to think of the right as a bloodthirsty hoard. In reality, we won't get much out of them except a few riots.

I am curious as to how these issues will escalate and what (if anything) is changed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ASAPI posted:

I am curious as to how these issues will escalate and what (if anything) is changed.

I don’t know what a societal collapse looks like. I just know that I’m currently living through one.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t know what a societal collapse looks like. I just know that I’m currently living through one.

i don't particularly care whether it winds up being Montybaijan or Landopolis, just so long as I get pics of glorious ruler

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

ASAPI posted:

I think you are correct. Like I said, we like to think of the right as a bloodthirsty hoard. In reality, we won't get much out of them except a few riots.

I expect worst than riots. I think we're only a couple of years away from literal death squads, Argentina or Colombia style. Especially if/when Trump 2.0 takes the presidency and the cops feel empowered to let them run wild.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Notahippie posted:

I expect worst than riots. I think we're only a couple of years away from literal death squads, Argentina or Colombia style. Especially if/when Trump 2.0 takes the presidency and the cops feel empowered to let them run wild.

:hmmyes:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Notahippie posted:

I dunno. I love me some doom, and agree that doom is coming, but I doubt gently caress-all comes of it. Most people would rather succumb to complacency than fight their neighbors or take shots at cops. Kinda feel like we're not nearly in dire enough straits for a civil war of any size or variety.

I'm sure there will be right wingers committing terrorist attacks on women's health clinics, school boards, mosques and jewish temples, though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ASAPI posted:

I think you're going to end up with it just being a normal thing that certain people based on either looks or "type" get hosed up (even moreso) by local police and in particular states just start disappearing. I imagine that will just ramp up until enough people have accepted it that a big push to just go ahead and "finish the job" looks more like an obvious conclusion rather than some new horrible event.

Basically, lynching is going to be normalized. It was in the past, no reason to expect it won't be again given the people involved and what they are saying / doing in 2022.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The Revolution will not be tweeted. The revolution will be tagged, wiki'd, and locked for editing due to persistent vandalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Apropos of nothing, but now would be a great time to learn more about setting up and supporting local community support networks.