Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Its out now, on both dominion.games and the Steam / mobile app. With the recent subscription change, you no longer need to top up your subscription if you previously had a Gold subscription, you just have it already.

The rule book still isn't out yet because the physical set is still not available, so I can't link to that, but here's the rest of the unpreviewed cards: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21114.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Rulebook is up

https://www.riograndegames.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Dominion-Allies-Rules.pdf

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

With all the expansions, is the recommended rule about platinums and colonies to include them only if 1+ cards in the market are from Prosperity?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I believe the rule is to shuffle a deck made from the randomizer cards of the piles in play. Draw one. If it's from Prosperity, throw in the Plats and Colonies. Then do the same thing for the Ruins and Shelters if there's a Dark Ages card in play. All of which can be superseded by "throw them in if you think it'd be fun."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Admiralty Flag posted:

With all the expansions, is the recommended rule about platinums and colonies to include them only if 1+ cards in the market are from Prosperity?

I can't think of a kingdom where including platinums and colonies would ever be bad (ditto shelters). I can think of kingdoms where the platinums and colonies themselves might not even be a competitive strategy, but that's not the same thing.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

homullus posted:

I can't think of a kingdom where including platinums and colonies would ever be bad (ditto shelters). I can think of kingdoms where the platinums and colonies themselves might not even be a competitive strategy, but that's not the same thing.

In general platinums and colonies advantage strategies that spend more time setting up because it takes fewer turns when you’re deck is firing to get enough points to win. Always having platinums and colonies available flatten the total strategic space even further towards engine decks.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
My problem with Platinum / Colony is that Platinum is very strong and can sometimes just push out other payload. They are fine, and with more and more expansions added into the mix, maybe they could do with a rule that makes them show up a bit more often these days.

I don't like Shelters though. At first they were novel but now they seem real crap. Necropolis is alright, but the effects of the other two could be less lame and the cost of 1 sure does suck in the presence of some cards.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Secret History of Allies is out.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Regarding Dominion storage: I'm going to have to upgrade with the next expansion I buy, which will be soon because I've got the bug again. I've looked on the Hobby Lobby website but couldn't find the artist's case that people have talked about in this thread previously. (Which is good, because now I don't have to make a decision about giving money to the fuckwits behind that company.) Am I stuck with something like this or does anyone have a better suggestion?
https://www.amazon.com/Organizer-Ba...s%2C121&sr=8-10

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Admiralty Flag posted:

Regarding Dominion storage: I'm going to have to upgrade with the next expansion I buy, which will be soon because I've got the bug again. I've looked on the Hobby Lobby website but couldn't find the artist's case that people have talked about in this thread previously. (Which is good, because now I don't have to make a decision about giving money to the fuckwits behind that company.) Am I stuck with something like this or does anyone have a better suggestion?
https://www.amazon.com/Organizer-Ba...s%2C121&sr=8-10

If you don't care about going cheap, I use these: https://www.amazon.com/BCW-Monster-Storage-Holds-trading/dp/B000K41E6K/

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I was thinking about a transportable recommendation to bring cards to meetups, etc. Is it sturdy, and would you trust it being transported with a retaining band around it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Having played a bit of it online, I really like Allies. The Allies themselves are all interesting enough to make you have to consider the Liasons. The Split piles are interesting, mostly in that they seem to be one great card, one ok card that works well with the great card, one duff card, and one boring card you probably want just to be able to control which pile is on top. The stuff that is just "more Dominion" is good, because I like Dominion. Barbarian was added to my ban-list almost immediately though, gently caress that guy.
There's also a pretty funny 3 card combo. Too many to see in the wild but it's fun. Importer so you start with 5 favour, Family of Inventors so you can lower the card price each time you enter your buy phase, and Villa which lets you enter your buy phase multiple times. The first player with 4 coins can empty the Villa stack on that turn. Then you need Swap or something so you happy you've filled your deck with effectively 10 extra coppers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Welp, my storage solution is officially defunct. I've made every conceivable cut out of the main box--the cut cards from 1e, the potion cost cards from Alchemy, things like Horses, Ghosts and heirlooms that are setup dependent. And Allies will NOT fit in the same box.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Having played a bit of it online, I really like Allies. The Allies themselves are all interesting enough to make you have to consider the Liasons. The Split piles are interesting, mostly in that they seem to be one great card, one ok card that works well with the great card, one duff card, and one boring card you probably want just to be able to control which pile is on top. The stuff that is just "more Dominion" is good, because I like Dominion. Barbarian was added to my ban-list almost immediately though, gently caress that guy.
There's also a pretty funny 3 card combo. Too many to see in the wild but it's fun. Importer so you start with 5 favour, Family of Inventors so you can lower the card price each time you enter your buy phase, and Villa which lets you enter your buy phase multiple times. The first player with 4 coins can empty the Villa stack on that turn. Then you need Swap or something so you happy you've filled your deck with effectively 10 extra coppers.

The stuff that is just "more Dominion" is probably what I like least, since it's more of the most ordinary Dominion, though I concede that the abundance of choice cards synergize with choice-affecting cards in the expansion. It's also a bummer to play online and get an interesting Ally and the lone Liaison is Importer, but that's the RNG for you. Otherwise, I really enjoy the split piles, because the star of a given pile varies with the kingdom and presents a minigame on its own.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Lich pretty much instantly became one of my favourite cards. Lich + Graverobber is among the most hilarious combos I've ever played.
The way Favours function as basically an additional resource that doesn't disrupt normal gameplay as much as the Potions is also very neat, as are the on-shuffling effects. It's just really impressive in general that the fourteenth expansion still holds so many good ideas.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/362517/dominion-prosperity-second-edition

:monocle:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dope I was wondering with the announcement of Seaside 2nd edition how they were going to handle the update pack. I am assuming (fingers crossed) that they will do what they did with Base/Intrigue and release a single update pack for both.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Yes both of them will be getting an update pack containing the new cards. It was in the official Seaside 2E announcement and its also on that BGG page for Prosperity 2E.

quote:

Dominion: Prosperity (Second Edition) contains nine new types of Kingdom cards, which will be released on their own as an update pack for those who own the first edition of this expansion. A few cards will receive minor errata, but these will not appear in the update pack.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
New cards for the first expansion I bought all those years back, and still one of my three favourites? Well, time to free up some more space in the boxes, I guess :)
What cards do you think will be replaced? There's fewer obvious candidates in this one than in Seaside, Intrigue or the base game, I think; perhaps Counting House and Royal Seal? In any case I suspect many of the new cards will have effects related to Victory tokens, seeing how there's only three token-giving cards in the first edition.

Guy A. Person posted:

Dope I was wondering with the announcement of Seaside 2nd edition how they were going to handle the update pack. I am assuming (fingers crossed) that they will do what they did with Base/Intrigue and release a single update pack for both.
That would be really cool. 18 cards in total would amount to a proper small expansion.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Carpator Diei posted:

What cards do you think will be replaced? There's fewer obvious candidates in this one than in Seaside, Intrigue or the base game, I think; perhaps Counting House and Royal Seal? In any case I suspect many of the new cards will have effects related to Victory tokens, seeing how there's only three token-giving cards in the first edition.

From what I've seen, I don't think anything has mentioned cards being replaced in either Seaside or Prosperity second editions. Just new cards and minor errata.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The new cards in new editions replace old ones. If you buy a 2e base set, it won't have Chancellor in it.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Donald X has confirmed on the dominionstrategy forums that Prosperity 2E is staying a 300 card expansion, which means the 9 new cards can only come from removing old ones. Seaside has enough blanks to mean 9 new cards means cutting 8 old ones, but Prosperity doesn't, so that must mean 9 removed cards, making it the biggest cut of all the 2Es.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Day 1 of Seaside 2E previews have been dropped very suddenly with no advance warning.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21219.0

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Embargo for Astrollybee - a Duration copper for $3? Well, maybe if it's the only +buy on the board.
Embargo for Blockade - a basically useless card for a pretty neat Workshop. Yeah!
Ghost Ship for Monkey - so long Ghost Ship, hello a supportive Enchantress that wants your fellow players to succeed. Or get curse a whole bunch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

Embargo for Astrollybee - a Duration copper for $3? Well, maybe if it's the only +buy on the board.

The image shows Astrolabe costing $1.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Jedit posted:

The image shows Astrolabe costing $1.

The price is in the lower left corner. The numbers on the top left and right and the middle are telling you how much money it pays out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ah. It's been a while since I saw a physical Dominion card. I guess they're pricing it in accordance with Silver then, because it gives $2 and adds 1B in exchange for not getting all the cash at once.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Honestly underwhelmed by all of these. Idk how often I'd buy any of them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Honestly underwhelmed by all of these. Idk how often I'd buy any of them.

I do feel like these are designed to be more affordable for potentially newer players to be able to test them out. Specifically I would prefer if both Astrolabe and Monkey cost more but with a better overall effect (probably $5 cost for $2 and +2 automatic cards respectively) but that might be a more challenging target to consistently hit, and there are already several great $5 durations which do very similar things.

As with basically any Dominion cards the real evaluation will happen depending on the specific setup. I can see Blockade especially swinging wildly depending on if there is a key $3 or $4 card that everyone wants. Astrolabe as mentioned is probably going to depend heavily on it being the only +buy or having enough draw to make it worthwhile but I have a hard time imagining a setup where it is something people are going to be diving on. Monkey is usually going to be a +2 on your next turn which isn't bad for $3 (on par with Empire's Enchantress without the weak attack) but in the right setup can really explode; also has some potentially interesting interactions since the draw happens on another player's turn, setting up for potential follow up attacks from them or the occasional reaction card.

Not the most mind-blowing stuff but I feel like neither was the 2nd edition stuff for base or Intrigue, there it was mostly about replacing universal dud cards, here it is about translating unpopular or unwieldy cards into more palatable/workable concepts (Embargo to Blockade in particular is very good about keeping the flavor while getting rid of an extraneous component).

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
RIP Ghost Ship, pretend I posted the Tactician comic here because I can't find it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

welcome posted:

RIP Ghost Ship, pretend I posted the Tactician comic here because I can't find it.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

:cheers:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ghost Ship for Monkey - so long Ghost Ship, hello a supportive Enchantress that wants your fellow players to succeed. Or get curse a whole bunch.

drat, this is something I hadn't even considered. If you play Monkey then a curser/junker you can get those extra card draws on your own turn. Followed by extra draws if your right-side opponent gains anything on their turn (or in 3 or 4 player games, if they get junk sent to them by other players, or a trash attack that causes them to gain something cheaper, or a bonus gain on something like Messenger, etc etc). So this has a ton of potentially interactions with existing card types, which is my favorite type of new card!

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Bring back the blank to replace embargo :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Astrolabe does give you +1 Buy for two turns, so with a good drawing engine it could be very useful even over other +Buy cards.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Day 2: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21226.0

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Navigator shan't be missed, but Tide Pools is very interesting. Really nice upside, pretty punishing downside. There are a few cards that can help you get around it (Faithful Hound for example, or things like Outpost), but even without that, I think one in a deck will probably be handy in most cases. Or many in a deck, and you just resign yourself to only playing every other turn.
Sea Hag... well, I'll miss her but it makes sense she's gone. I think the Hag was more characterful than the Sea Witch, but maybe some characters are bad, and you hate them, and are glad when they stop showing up.
Sea Chart for Pearl Diver - probably another do-nothing cantrip, but the competition for $3 cantrips is things like Harbinger, so Sea Chart will fit right in.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Really like the design of Sea Witch. At first I was kind of baffled because it is basically Witch+, the normal Witch plus an extra ability attached. Then it occurred to me that the "bonus" also keeps it in play which makes it slower to get to on subsequent turns, which is not something you necessarily want when racing to get the curses out.

Sea Chart is fine, definitely an improvement on Pearl Diver which a ton of times just had you leaving that card at the bottom. Combos with a lot more cards than Pearl Diver since it is easier to manipulate those top few cards than it is to somehow get something you want on the bottom (without putting it there with like Secret Passage, which would be a weird thing to do since you'd just move it right back to the top)

Also it's interesting that they went with a completely different power when removing Navigator, but that makes sense because Navigator's ability is not super unique and has been done on a ton of better cards since.

From yesterday's preview it seems that Sea Chart is going to be the only new card that's not a duration, which means we get 3 new durations tomorrow which is neat.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sea Witch is better in every way I can think of. Sea Chart will at least interact with other cards that react to being revealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
The final day of Seaside 2E previews: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21228.0