Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

It was an interesting scenario, and I didn't realize the stack across the river was reasonably bulletproof and I should have been aggressive with them.

Honestly this is the only one of the Long March scenarios so far I'd be interested in replaying, just 'cause we have a better handle on the SSRs. No matter, onward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Turn 5 - KMT

More retreats by the broken KMT forces, reinforcements show up to set up on the hill, and the Reds finish a second bridge section!

Turn 7 - KMT

The Reds easily finish off the Melee and Hypnobeard gets the final bridge placed, but this may be too little, too late.

I'm very confused here. the Reds are building the bridge on KMT initiative?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SniHjen posted:

I'm very confused here. the Reds are building the bridge on KMT initiative?

Yes!
And they don't seem capable of doing it in their own turn based on how the SSRs are written, which makes it particularly strange. The fact that they can't try bridging more than one Location is also strange, why not allow for multiple bridges be set up, you know?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
BFP-27: Chapei Chockblock - Part 1

Date: 5 February 1932

Briefing: The Japanese had interest in controlling areas of China in addition to Manchuria. The Navy initiated a confrontation which turned into a series of escalated violent episodes that led to the First Shanghai Incident. Both sides assembled forces, and on 25 January the Chinese 19th Route Army began to build defensive positions in Shanghai's Chapei District. All-out hostilities erupted on 28 January, and the Japanese Marines struggled to make progress against the defensive positions. A truce was set in place in an effort to negotiate an end to the conflict. Periodic fighting continued and no peace agreement could be reached. The Kurume Naval Infantry Brigade, reinforced by the 2nd Independent Tank Company, resumed the attack against the Chinese forces defending the Chapei District.

Victory Condition: The Japanese win at Game End by controlling buildings T8, W6, Y4, AA6, CC8.

KMT Strategy

The Japanese come in from off-board a little further down then the screenshot shows, however the strategy remains the same. I might have been better suited with a setup closer to my objectives, but the plan was to pose a threat early on to prevent too much movement, effectively burning a turn for the Japanese, and then retreating back across the black line and defend more strongly there. My Guns were situated in points where I figured movement might be more attractive than going through every building, and seemed like logical points for tanks to advance on/through. Reinforcements later on would move into Y4 and divide/move out as necessary. Ultimately, I just need to hold one building and, frankly, I think I would have set up different in a future game. The mass of Japanese tanks is going to be quite hard to deal with, mainly because my troop quality is bad, but also because I lack the Anti-Tank weaponry of future years.

Turns: 8

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Moderate, with no wind at start

Game Limits: Dare-Death is N/A. Banzai is N/A.

Safer Inside: Vehicle Crews may not voluntarily abandon their vehicles.

Turn 1 - Japanese

The Japanese move, a lot. There are no casualties on my end, but I do reveal some troops in an effort to remove concealment, something I don't want to deal with in Close Combat. Problematically, there was an illegal use of Armored Assault that we didn't catch until later, allowing more movement than should've taken place. The large number of buildings and the potential for line of sight really messed with me as well, as it is hard to gauge just where can I move without issue, and where I cannot.

Turn 1 - KMT

Unfortunately for me, things go wrong instantly. A conscript squad in FF14 tries to use bypass to get away from the Japanese forces, but a misunderstanding on my part on how LOS worked for bypassing units meant they immediately get shot, break, and ELR. They will become prisoners by the end of the turn. My squad in DD13, another conscript group, gets intercepted by the Japanese in BB15, and yet another good roll by my opponent causes them to be reduced to a half-squad, and then pin in open ground. On the left, I should've moved my squad+LMG in T12; you'll see why soon enough.

Turn 2 - Japanese

Even more movement, with few attacks able to retaliate. The lack of movement by my squad with the SW on the left flank and the, of course, failed PAATC meant they immediately were pinned by a tank in their hex. This allowed every other Japanese unit in the near vicinity to bum rush them, isolate them, and they eventually broke in the AFPh. I hated that part. My conscript half-squad in the open was dead regardless, so I tried to shoot a few times and broke voluntarily. The only positive result for me was destroying a tankette with my HMG. The crew survived, annoyingly, which meant I had to devote resources to kill them as well, instead of going for more important targets.

Close Combat brings a kill from either side, only due to Hand-to-Hand being automatic. Had I not had my "to kill" number increased by 2, the fight on the right would've turned into a Melee.

Turn 2 - KMT

In my own turn, I get a few shots out, but get absolutely no result other than a pin (unrecorded) and a Wound against the 9-0 leader. To make matters worse, I have two squads break while in cover, and generate a hero that I can't take advantage of. The amount of movement made by the Japanese is pretty obvious at this point, and the road is doing nothing to hinder the Japanese, yet preventing me from going anywhere without, likely, getting massacred thanks to my dice.

State of the board, end of Turn 2

Turn 3 - Japanese

With no reason to take any shots; after all, the Japanese have the manpower advantage by a wide margin at this point, and its much easier to eliminate the KMT in Close Combat, it all devolves into movement. Of the 11 or so shots I take, almost all in the open road, I get... 2 squads to stripe. The dice absolutely loving hated me this game. I malfed my gun in the upper left quadrant, and my other one barely missed breaking, but also achieved no result. Neither of my HMGs got rate of fire.

Losses so far were about 2 to 1 against the defenders, a testament to poor defensive, spread out planning and terrible dice.

We played one and a half more turns, but, quite frankly, it was a lot more of the same, with no competitive edge gained by the KMT. My units broke easily on lame duck shots, and even striping the Japanese squads was a rare occurrence. To make matters worse, I lost my gun on the right side to a elimination after promptly malfunctioning it. Shortly thereafter, my remaining HMG malfunctioned against a tankette approaching. My reinforcements didn't make it on-board, they didn't have to. The tanks I was afforded were slow, and had little in the way of sustainable firepower to apply any pressure against the 10 or so remaining Japanese squads and their tanks.

Five squads against 12 or so.

AAR posted:

The Japanese launched an all-out combined arms assault into the Chapei District on 5 February which lasted throughout the day. The Japanese tanks were superior, but had difficulty maneuvering through the closely packed houses and defensive works. They made some initial penetrations, but were stopped by the Chinese 60th Division, who blocked the Japanese Marines from making any significant gains. Additional Japanese Army forces were sent to Shanghai on 6 February to increase their strength and prepare for more offensive operations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
LM-6: Forced to Reconsider - Part 1

Date: 27 January 1935

Briefing: After crossing the Wu River, the Red Army proceeded to its initial destination of Zunyi in Guizhou Province. The heavy losses prompted a change, and Mao Zedong's careful political preparations payed off. Li De (Otto Braun) would revert back to an advisor, Mao would become the "Chairman". After resting, recruiting and re-supplying, the Red Army set off north hoping to combine with the Second and Sixth Red Armies thought to be operating in the Sichuan area. Sichuan was split between seven warlords, always at war with each other, and distrusting of Chiang Kai-Shek.

Chiang Kai-Shek had correctly anticipated the Red Army's next move, and brought significant forces to the area. The populace was known to be friendly, to the KMT, and the workers at a small government arsenal had held a pro-government demonstration just days earlier. At the village of Huangpidong, just short of Chishui, the Red Army's 2nd Division ran into a powerful blockhouse on one side of the road, and a small mountain on the other. Both were occupied by the KMT. The positions could not be forced, and attempts to flank the mountain failed. The 2nd fought all day, but in the evening it conceded the field. The way north was blocked. Mao would need to reconsider his next move.

Victory Condition: The Red Army wins at game end if there are no unbroken KMT MMC 2 or less hexes from 33M4 or 9H4.

KMT Strategy

We have an interesting limitation in this scenario. The KMT are largely split into two groups, each having a number of troops, SW, and fortifications, but neither can leave their designated area to help the others. They may approach the other map, but not enter in, this also counts half-hexes. As a result, I will have to shift over some troops to help, and shoot at long range with little hope of a result, while Hypnobeard can, for the most part, ignore one side or the other entirely. There's not much else to say other than fortifications were positioned in ways to attempt supporting each other and... that's about it.

Turns: 6.5

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Wet, with Ground Snow and no Wind at Start.

Game Limits: Dare-Death is N/A. Red Army may not invoke No Quarter nor Massacre.

Turn 1 - Red Army

Plenty of movement, and a lack of shots on my part. This is mainly because I don't want to reveal some troops too early, especially the pillboxes, as they have restrictive arcs of fire. The fact that Hypnobeard is sticking to the southern portion of the southern map already makes one pillbox useless, and the lines of sight are terrible for more of my men.

Turn 1 - KMT

There's some shuffling about of troops on top of the hill, nothing major, and anyone that can move, does so from the northern section.

Turn 2 - Red Chinese

The snow helps to slow down the Reds. A good shot from some conscripts breaks a Red 3-3-7 as they move through open ground, and the return fire in the Advance Fire Phase gets a Casualty Reduction. [Ugh!] The 9-2 Leader was already paying dividends.

Turn 2 - KMT

On my turn, without much movement to be done, I opt to shoot. This turns out to be an exercise in futility with back-to-back 10s from my MMGs. :sigh: Return fire breaks the crew carrying the MMG in G4.

Turn 3 - Red Chinese

Hypnobeard shoots their shot this turn, with an advance up the western slope by the troops there, a squad attempting to goad my troops on the hilltop to waste precious firepower against them, and a human wave that just goes the completely wrong way. This was the time where my IFT rolls were great, coupled with the -2 for running in open ground, poor morale check rolls, and the devastatingly large cost of elevation changes. Had it not been for the 3MF to move in some hexes, I would have had to suffer an extra move or two, putting my forces at risk. Perhaps a different target hex would've been in order, but if my rolls had been consistent, the outcome probably wouldn't have changed. All of the squads in the open would've been subjected to some Interdiction, if not surrendering, and rallying them all would likely have taken the rest of the game.

I think we both walked away from this scenario liking the concept, but the execution of running uphill in the snow really makes you wonder at times how exactly you're supposed to fight.

[For Historical Result see briefing at top]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
LM-7: More Than He Could Chew - Part 1

Date: 28 January 1935

Briefing: The Red Army had not yet heard of the 2nd Division's failure to capture Chihsui and was still heading north. They were still being followed by KMT troops. These were thought to be two regiments of poor quality opium-addicted local troops. Mao decided he had an opportunity to turn on the outnumbered KMT vanguard, claiming a quick victory for himself and gain some breathing room. Orders went out, columns converged and an attack was ready.

The KMT were not such easy prey after all, they consisted of four regiments of top notch Sichuan troops determined to keep the Red Army out of their home province. Worse, more regiments appeared as the day wore on. By afternoon, the Red Army was fighting for its life. Mao's expected four to one superiority quickly became a parity of forces. Fortunately for the Red Army, the 2nd Division had captured some pontoon bridges. After dark, the Red Army would cross the Red River, destroying the bridges behind them. The Sichuan troops were content to let the Red Army go another direction and did not pursue. Mao Zedong's return to power would not begin with a victory, he had bitten off more than he could chew.

Victory Condition: The Red Army wins by accumulating 20 or more CVP, provided they lose less than 30 CVP.

KMT Strategy

We have another one with the KMT on the defense. This time, vastly outnumbered, the KMT must do everything possible to survive long enough for reinforcements can appear and get revenge. Forward-located MMCs exist only as potential stop-gaps and stripping concealment before running back to the safety of the stone buildings. With all the open ground, however, things may be difficult for the Reds...

Turns: 7

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Wet, no Wind at Start. Ground Snow in effect.

Turn 1 - Red Army

Opening shots by the Reds were promising, breaking my good leader, crew, and rendered my one machine gun unusable. A follow-up shot with Rate of Fire pinned an adjacent squad. Then, Hypnobeard's dice betrayed their roller. The movement phase opened up with plenty of troops up top coming down through the orchards, immediately followed by a Human Wave. The ending of the HW was deemed illegal, as Hypnobeard had some MMCs that could've moved into adjacent buildings where most of them had broken from some swingy dice. That alone caused Hypnobeard to move an extra two or three hexes, which broke just about everyone in the charge. This will cause a lot of issues, as failure to rally any of them will make them instantly vulnerable to any units coming in as reinforcements...

To make matters worse, the Red Chinese failed to get any kills in the Close Combat phase, dealing a heavy blow to the attack. The Red Chinese end the turn down 11 CVP, a third of their allowed losses...

Turn 1 - KMT

As the KMT fall back to defensive lines, a full squad, dashing across the road, gets caught and punished by Hypnobeard's MMGs and swiftly eliminated. Other units simply position themselves to eliminations by Failure to Rout and, unfortunately, we call it there. The Reds have lost some 20 CVP in exchange for 2 gained. The majority of the losses this turn were due to the mistake during the Human Wave, but Hypno opted to not "undo" those moves, contributing to the early demise of a number of troops.

And, really, we talked about this scenario at length and its another strange beast from this scenario pack where the KMT has to lose a lot of units/ground early and the reinforcements have to be isolated or prevented from joining with the "main" defenders, but this is impossible to prevent due to the LOS and entry location for the KMT's backup. I think better results would have been achieved if everyone was thrown into one big Human Wave, or perhaps simply opting out of HW and concealment and moving one by one to absorb shots early. Or maybe moving some sacrificial units to get adjacent (if the KMT doesn't shoot) and have a Human Wave come in after to threaten getting into the same hexes to prevent successful attacks in the DFPh? In any case, at least this scenario is fast to set up and can be "reset" with relative ease, so while we certainly think there's room for improvement, it is a fast puzzle to attempt to unlock.

[For Historical Result, see briefing]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
LM-8: The Race To Loushan Pass - Part 1

Date: 26 February 1935

Briefing: After retreating from Qinggangpo, the Red Army made a series of marches in all directions to confuse the KMT. Radio intercepts revealed that the only way out was the way they came in. The Red Army would return to Zunyi. The confusion had its desired effect, the KMT had a hard time engaging an enemy that was everywhere and nowhere at the same time. The Guizhou Warlord Wang Jailie decided to block the Loushan Pass north of Zunyi in case the Red Army returned. The Red Army, worn from weeks of hard marching, sent the 3rd Army at the double to reach the pass first.

The Red Army reached the pass just minutes before the KMT. The Guizhou troops were within three hundred yards when the Communists reached the crest. In the fight that followed, the Red Army would hold the pass.

Victory Condition: The side with the most CVP at Game End wins. Each (v)ictory Location provides 2 CVP to the controller's side.

KMT Strategy

The plan is to try to reach the hilltop first. The SSRs for this scenario are kinda crazy, where there's a lot of back and forth between both sides that are possible, but, uh.... deriving a positive is detrimental and not really worth it. So, we agreed to the "Tie" option, which causes my units to start with half of their starting MF. We didn't know if that included CX, but we figured it did. So, I have a lot of going up, with terrible moving conscripts (3MF Total). There's also no cover, so whoever gets there first has a pretty big advantage...

Turns: 9

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Wet, no Wind at Start. Ground Snow in effect.

Turn 1 - KMT

No significant actions outside of movement.

Turn 1 - Red Chinese

Similarly for the Reds, movement only, no possible shots.

Turn 2 - KMT

Creeping ever forward, the Ground Snow makes movement by the KMT brutal.

Turn 2 - Red Chinese

As the Communists finally begin to reach the hilltops, they find themselves exposed to a number of conscript squads, who take the opportunity to fire and break a squad.

State of the board, end of turn 2

Turn 3 - KMT

Shots erupt, but no results are achieved by either side. Meanwhile, to fix the lack of protection, numerous squads get the shovels out and dig themselves some foxholes. Two of them are already successful on the left flank.

Turn 3 - Red Chinese

Slight adjustments, but I have the big problem of having to advance uphill and become CX if I want those victory hexes. This'll expose me to fire immediately, make me worse at shooting, and reduce my fighting capability in CC. Its a lose-lose-lose scenario! On the plus side, I break the second squad planted on the hilltop in Y6.

Turn 4 - KMT

Can you identify the problem with a scenario where this is the likely leadup to the end? :v:

Turn 4 - Red Chinese

One unit changes spots.

Turn 5 - KMT

The stalemate had to end, and I was losing when it comes to position. Hypnobeard was a little frustrated by how sneaky the use of Human Wave was here, but ultimately it meant nothing because conscripts are... garbage, and when the Red Chinese has a qualitative advantage AND on the defensive side of things, and the KMT have no support, whether thats smoke or SW, well, you can't expect much. I was hoping that throwing bodies into the Red hexes would survive SOMETHING, force Final Protective Fire and ruin the commies days, but alas I lost everyone in the blink of an eye to consistent low rolls by my opponent, and shite morale check rolls pour moi.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
PBP-21: Raiders of the Chaco - Part 1

Date: 20 January 1933

Briefing: For 100 years, the ex-Spanish colonies of Paraguay and Bolivia had been feuding over the Gran Chaco region (part jungle, part swamp, part desert), since without it Bolivia was landlocked. A shooting war broke out in 1932 when a clumsy Bolivian offensive pushed through into the border region of Paraguay. Despite not having a standing army, the Paraguayans were soon able to field some effective units. Resistance built up in a salient around the small settlement of Nanawa, where in December the Bolivians had paused to allow their supplies to build up. Guided by German advisers, the Bolivian 7th Division assigned two of its columns to holding attacks on the understrength Paraguayan 5th Division while a third infiltrated behind the defenders. An over-complicated plan and the trackless bush prevented cooperation between the columns, wasting their numerical advantage. Commanding the Paraguayan unit was Lt. Col. Irrazabal, who concentrated his machine guns and reserves, and stopped each enemy column as it attacked solo. As in the 1914-18 World War, defensive use of trenches and automatic weapons caused heavy losses for attacking infantry. The Bolivians persisted with frontal assaults, losing 2000 men while inflicting only 300 casualties on the Paraguayans. The weakened Bolivian force eventually withdrew (but had left it too late to do so safely).

Victory Condition: The Bolivians win immediately upon amassing 26 or more CVP. Regular CVP applies, as well as: 5 CVP for control of 3J4, 4 CVP if the roadblock is eliminated, 2 CVP for each Trench controlled, 1 CVP for each building which contains a Blaze.

Paraguayan Strategy

I have a lot to protect, and unfortunately a lot of that is right in front of the Bolivian menace. Provided I can survive for a time, breaking Bolivians in the process, I should be able to allow for my reinforcements to come from off-board and have them bolster my defences. The Bolivians have a section of cavalry-riding troops that come in further south and are primed for attacking down the hill pointed at by the black arrows, or going further away and through the road on the small hill in the bottom left. Regardless of where my opponent attacks, I have some open ground to make use of, hopefully.

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Wet, no Wind at Start.

Ground Floor: No upper levels exist - All buildings are Wooden

Turn 1 - Bolivians

First shot of the game is snake eyes, murdering half a squad of troops up north, watching my northern flank. I thought about having more guys on the hill, but without any fortifications, they'd be sitting ducks if I needed to retreat... plenty of movement later, and no successes from my troops apart from a single pin result, and the fighting distances are even closer now!

By the end of the turn I managed to break one enemy squad, while my surviving, broken, half-squad itself is eliminated.

Turn 1 - Paraguayans

Plenty of shots, nothing but pins. My dice were being annoying from the start. I also wanted to pull some units back, as originally planned, to cover the flank where the cavalry troops are expected to enter the map. Otherwise, not much else occurs.

Turn 2 - Bolivians

The Bolivian aggressors continue their advance, getting uncomfortably close against a number of my troops, all of which fail to make a significant impact in the movement phase. To make up for it, one of my MGs finally gets their sights in order and I break both of the Bolivian crews. With some luck I can make sure they never recoup those weapons.

As the turn comes to an end, one of my squads is ambushed in the woods and killed, while the other CC devolves into a Melee.

Turn 2 - Paraguayans

Shooting, shooting, and more shooting, for a solitary pin and break.

State of the Board - end of Turn 2

Turn 3 - Bolivians

The Bolivians turn up the heat, and I can finally claim some more broken units from my attacks (Finally!), with a pair of breaks on the south-western flank (I miscounted in P1). I shoot so much that I break my squad in M7, specifically so that I will be guaranteed to rout away, relatively safely. My opponent in some of these games, Gary, goes for the clearance attempt against the Roadblock, which was a little puzzling to me since it seems like prime "Apply DC to eliminate it".

CC phase betrays me, granting my opponent another snake eyes, although thankfully without generating a Leader. Another 1.5 squads lost... :sigh:

Turn 3 - Paraguayans

Whereas things were sorta looking up for me last turn, this one goes poorly for me. Between a squad getting pinned out in the open while trying to wrap around the Bolivians, to having two squads and a crew break from shots and snipers, I just don't have the means to prevent the Bolivians from gaining ground. I've been slowly bleeding CVP as well, while making absolutely no impact thanks to bad dice and good dice, for myself and my opponent respectively.

Close Combat turns out to be disastrously bad, losing a full squad in the blink of an eye because my opponent very nearly rolled another pair of ones, while I continued to bop around with near-12's. In the big building in N1, the almost 2 to 1 advantage yields no result and the CC turns into a melee.

And that's where the game was called. You can see at the top the absolutely shellacking I received, killing one (half)squad for, like, 6 in losses. I've lost both trenches, the border post, the roadblock is a matter of time, and I have no base of fire to truly resist from. Frankly speaking, this was a frustrating outing where I could do nothing but stare in wide-eyed bewilderment as my opponent consistently rolled 5 or less on the IIFT and simply push me aside. If I could command my dice to do better, this would've been a bit more of a meat-grinder, though the scenario absolutely front-loads the objectives with no good options for retaking the objectives should the Paraguayans lose them, and the reinforcements take so long to arrive that I question if they ever really do anything. Oh, and they are conscripts so :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 8, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
LM-9: Return To The Wu River - Part 1

Date: 27 February 1935

Briefing: After taking the Loushan Pass on the 26th, the Red Army came down from the mountains on the 27th. The Nationalists had gathered eight regiments of poor quality Guizhou Warlord troops and two divisions of KMT regulars. The Red Army would smash the Nationalists and chase them all the way to the Wu River.

At the Wu River, the Nationalist General Wu Qiwei withdrew across the river on a pontoon bridge. When the Red Army approached, he had the ropes anchoring the bridge cut. Stranded on the Communist side of the river were 1800 Nationalist troops. Now the Red Army policies of decent treatment to captives would pay off. Instead of fighting to the bitter end, these KMT would lay down their arms. Hundreds of the prisoners would enlist in the Red Army. The Communists, unwilling to be burdened with prisoners, released the remaining Nationalist and gave them traveling money to see them home. After weeks of running from the Nationalists, the victory was a much needed morale boost for the Reds. They had returned to Zunyi not in defeat, but in victory.

Victory Condition: The Red Army must amass twice the amount of CVP and Exit VP earned by the KMT. (Only the KMT earns Exit VP)

KMT Strategy

First things first, I start with an ELR of 1. This is trash, and with a majority of Conscripts squads, I have to hope I don't lose any via Morale Checks, as a break over 1 will result in Disruption, making them easy prey for capture. The capture value IS taken into account at the end of the game, resulting in a large influx of Victory Points for Hypnobeard when things go wrong for me. Now, I want to inflict casualties against my opponent, and having the conscripts in front at least gives a buffer. I don't have any good terrain to defend with, so I'm planning on slowly retreating back to the buildings and then have more and more units make their way to the far east and offboard as turns progress. The Snow rule is ambiguous as all hell as well, sadly. We don't know if the water is frozen, we don't know if it means there's a chance for falling snow, or if it means there's Ground Snow in play. Ultimately, we ruled in favor of Ground Snow... which makes my retreat worse. This is why playtesting/proofreading for these scenarios is important!

Turns: 9

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Wet, no Wind at Start. Snow is in effect [This does not specify what kind of snow!!!]

Turn 1 - Red Chinese

With fighting at such close quarters, the KMT could afford to wait until the Reds were right up against their noses to shoot. One Red Chinese squad was quickly dealt with, and others either pinned or broken. Sadly, KMT units were not spared from the inevitable counter-attacks.

Turn 1 - KMT

With the KMT's turn, careful consideration is giving to those who must stay behind and, looking back on things, this would've been a great opportunity to use Human Wave given how many Red Chinese squads are broken or locked in Melee. That'd probably have netted me the win, or at the very least plenty of casualties on either side! :v: In any case, I chose to play the scenario as intended, hence all the movement eastwards. The conscripts remain out front to screen the rest, with the majority planning to move into the woods in the middle of the scenario. [This was probably the unluckiest I've ever seen Hypnobeard's dice go - on the plus side, they have a Commissar!]

Sadly, my morale checks didn't fare much better, with conscripts constantly breaking and disrupting. This was the worst of the results, as they surrender immediately, giving my opponent valuable VPs every time. To make matters worse, I lose the Melee down south and suffered a Casualty Reduction up north, for no gain.

Turn 2 - Red Chinese

My constant re-positioning seems to be causing the desired effect, forcing the Reds to constantly run right up to me and take some nasty shots as a result, although my good dice appear to have been used up and Hypnobeard no longer experiencing many issues.

The Melee continues, some units run away, the Reds continue their advance.

Turn 2 - KMT

And if I had a great first turn against the Reds, the dice swung completely against me here, with nearly every shot by the Reds being 4 or less, and none of my morale checks succeeding. I now have the terrible pair of decisions between standing and fighting (in little to no defensive terrain) or running. Running seems to be the more prudent option here.

By the end of the turn I am a healthy distance away from the Reds, I have occupied the few buildings in the area, and there's a choice between some easy points with all the broken squads therein, or trying to go after the mobile force getting out of dodge...

Turn 3 - Red Chinese

Only movement to really talk about, thanks to the vast distances involved, and the terrain not favoring my lack of range or firepower.

State of the game, end of Turn 3 RC

Turn 3 - KMT

Uggggggghh! I'm pretty sure we calculated this wrong, I don't think the men moving in Open Ground would've counted for such thanks to the attack from a hex with intervening hindrances, but with the numbers what they were, it wouldn't have changed much. Everyone broke and I was pretty peeved, not thinking that they would've been in sight to the men in FF8. To make matters worse, they were all disrupted, aside from the leader, who only becomes worse instead. :argh:

State of the Board - End of Game

We technically played one extra session on this one, but it felt like delaying the inevitable, and nothing exciting happened. A few CC's here and there, mostly to my loss, an MMG that couldn't get rate of fire, and the slow retreat of units both up north and in the middle. There was a small, spirited defense by the men in the south, but realistically I'd lost so much manpower to prisoners, and the Ground Snow making moving at the end frustrating enough to artificially funnel you through certain channels.

Regardless, this scenario was swingy thanks to our dice. I thought the advantage was clearly mine with so many good rolls at the start for me, only for Hypnobeard to rally squads with great efficiency. Having so many squads turn into prisoners also meant that hitting the required CVP was easy for Hypnobeard to achieve. By the end of our first session it was 24 - 4, easily clearing the goal. Session two only saw me gain 5 CVP, for a 44 to 9 score. I could potentially get to 21 with some exit VP, but that presumes I survive any harassment, and I still had more squads being put under the knife. Still kicking myself over that one move.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
FT-146: Bridge of Life - Part 1

Date: 29 May 1935

Briefing: Pursued by GMD forces, the Communist troops of the Long March found that they did not possess enough boats to cross the Dadu River. The closest bridge was the Luding, some 120 kilometers away from their present position. The bridge dated to 1701 and consisted of 100 yards of chain thrown across the river, joined by wooded boards lashed between the chains. On the morning of May 29th, after covering the 120 kilometers in barely 24 hours, the 4th Regiment of the 2nd Division, 1st Corps of the Chinese Workers and Peasants Army prepared to assault and to take the bridge.

Victory Condition: The Red Chinese win at game end if there are no unbroken Warlord MMC in either of the Warlord set up areas.

Red Chinese Strategy

No Smoke, fewer troops than the defender, a lack of good support weapons, tons of open ground to run across, and poor LoS in critical circumstances. This scenario is practically built to punish the Red Chinese player from the get-go. Well, nothing ventured... The plan is to smash the squad on my side of the river, move up to buildings, and then try to launch an attack. The cloaked units could be real squads, or they could be unarmed units. While unarmed units don't pose much of a threat, if they were to re-arm, it could cause me significant issues.

Turns: 5.5

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Moderate, no Wind at Start.

Friendly Conflict: Massacre and No Quarter are Not Available.

Turn 1 - Red Chinese

Turn one goes according to plan. The solitary squad on the south side of the river breaks, thankfully, and the swarm of Red units is able to approach the bridge without much issue. The Warlord squad is forced to surrender later.

Turn 1 - Warlord Forces

Gunfire exchanged between both sides results in a broken Red unit, and the Warlord units regroup into the woods. We are going to see something called "Skulking" shortly. Skulking refers to moving out of sight of your opponent during your movement phase, specifically to avoid being shot at. As soon as it is your Advance Phase, you retake the positions you abandoned. Some people accept it for what it is because it isn't explicitly forbidden in the rules. Personally, I think it is a dumb oversight that someone simply abuses, to the detriment of the opponent. By now you've noticed the bridge, the solitary means of crossing the river, so you can imagine how problematic it would be for the defender to simply retreat, preventing the opponent from being able to attack.

Turn 2 - Red Chinese

The first attempt at crossing the river goes poorly. Many squads were devoted to attacking the Warlord's forces but no good results meant crossing would always be a crapshoot regardless. At least the half-squad broke in a spot they could retreat from...

Turn 2 - Warlord Forces

Post-movement, note how the Warlord units have contracted onto Y8. I can't shoot at Y8 from the majority, if not all, of my units, the only readily accessibly hex would be L6 or M6, neither of which offer protection if I, myself, get shot at, and is too far for the squads to shoot. I would have to send all my LMGs there.

Post-advance. Note how everyone is back at their original positions.

Turn 3 - Red Chinese

Another turn, more failed attempts at breaking the foes, and another failed attempt at crossing the bridge. I can't commit too many forces to crossing the river immediately because of residual firepower and the lack of any cover. Taking 6FP down 2 shots repeatedly is a recipe for disaster.

Turn 3 - Warlord Forces

Post-Movement

Post-Advance

I hope the concept of "Skulking" is made rather obvious in this scenario, why its bad manners, and why players shouldn't use it.

Turn 4 - Red Chinese

In an act of desperation, the Reds choose to go for a human wave attack. The soldiers rush across the bridge, although not unscathed. Two squads break in the run to Y9, while another breaks attempting to cross afterwards. The residual fire was deceptively good on rolls.

The end of the turn sees me eliminate an unarmed squad, control of the bridge, and lodged in Y9. Sadly, that doesn't exactly offer me much protection. In all likelihood, I would've been better served leaving a squad in Z9, or elsewhere, but hindsight being 20-20 and all that.

Turn 4 - Warlord Forces

As expected, the group breaks easily. Rather disappointed as my leader broke on the first shot, not something you expect from a 9-morale unit, and the rest fell easily.

Yeah the 4-4-7 here doesn't have a chance...

Down my 2 best squads, my best leader, with 4 squads broken and waiting around in a building, and two squads on a bridge that has proved nearly impossible to cross unscathed, I had to call it quits. This scenario well and truly sucked, thanks in large part to skulking, but also the lack of any opportunities for the Attacker to have some form of manageable way to cross the river. Had the rules been different, or the defenders less numerous, I could see how this scenario would be far more of a nailbiter. As it stands, woof, this is a dog of a card to play.

Historical Result posted:

The bridge was defended by Warlord troops rather than the regular GMD Army. Chang Kai Shek's policy of divide and conquer had created a complicated local situation where major and second-rate private armies and warlords were constantly busy fighting each other. None of them really cared about passing communist units, and none had any interest in loosing troops to fight Shek's war. Consequently, the bridge was lightly defended - some of the planks of the bridge, however, had been removed. Political commissar Wang Haiyun led the assault with a squad of volunteers. Three were hit, but the rest went through, opening the way for the rest of the regiment. As the Reds reached the opposite shore en masse, the Warlord troops, short on ammunition, gave way. The crossing had been secured.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
ASL-253: Our Place In The Sun - Part 1

Date: 4 October 1935

Briefing: At dawn on 3 October 1935, 100,000 Italian troops crossed the northern frontier of Ethiopia in three large columns. "We have been patient for 40 years," Mussolini announced to the vast crowd assembled in the Piazza Venezia. "Now, we too want our place in the sun." The Italians met with no resistance, as Haile Selassie wanted no doubt as to who was the aggressor so the Ethiopian armies had been pulled back 30 kilometers. He was also following the traditional Ethiopian tactic of drawing the enemy forward, away from his supply source. The advance was thus begun on a quiet night. On the second day of the march, however, it was discovered that Ras Seyum, commander of the Army of Tigre, had sent several groups into the "neutral zone" against the Emperor's wishes. One of these, numbering some 500 men under the command of Dejaz Gebriet, had established itself on Amba Augher, which lay directly in the path of Pirzio Biroli's advancing Eritrean Army Corps. Due to the broken nature of the ground in the area, and the fact that Amba Augher had numerous caves on its rear side, it was difficult to estimate the strength of the position, even from the air. The Italians, therefore, decided to assault the mountain from several directions at once, and the two Ascari ("Mixed") brigades of the Second Native Division were sent forward.

Victory Condition: Provided they do not lose 16 or more CVP, the Eritreans win at game end by gaining 4 or more VP. Hexes K7, L7, L6, and P6 are worth 1 VP, while Hex BB5 is worth 2.

Ethiopian Strategy

The Eritreans are well-equipped, have an Artillery piece, and air support. This is going to be a chore to defend against. Luckily for me, I have Caves, a means of remaining completely hidden on the map, ready to strike at any time. To not be a giant target for the Air Support, I've had to spread out my units quite a bit. The plan is to make the eastern hill unappealing and viciously defend all of the victory locations in the west. Preferably, this would involve taking some easy 3 or 6 firepower shots with -1 or -2 modifiers, and potentially plaguing the attacker when it comes to routing.

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Dry, no Wind at Start.

Unfriendly Territory: Desert and Broken Terrain in effect.

Hidden Tigre: The Ethiopians use Caves as if Japanese.

Air Support: The Eritreans receive Air Support in the form of two '39 FB, one with and one without bombs.

Turn 1 - Eritreans

Plenty of movement, and some shots by the Ethiopian defenders, but I only get a pin result against one squad. Elsewhere, the attackers manage to break the squad in F1. Ugh!

Turn 1 - Ethiopians

Some movement from unconcealed units to try and consolidate my forces. Unfortunately for me, a sniper attacks one of my leaders and wounds them, while a pair of strafing attacks by Eritrean Air Support kills off a squad.

Turn 2 - Eritreans

The Eritreans continue to push forward, and the lack of firepower is becoming quite evident. Little can be done to prevent movement at the moment, so I bide my time. The right flank is about to heat up quite a bit, as the attackers advance up to a building defended by multiple Conscript-quality squads, and reinforcements appear to climb or circumvent the hills.

State of the board - end of Turn 2

Turn 2 - Ethiopians

There is a break on either side, and an air attack goes wrong for the Eritreans, the pilot mistaking the units next to the house for the enemy. My dice were cold this day, and the resulting Bomb + Strafing attack killed nothing, netting me a pair of pins. Rubbish.

Nearing the end of the turn, both broken squads are forced to surrender, however I refuse to keep any, as my conscripts are already vulnerable and I don't have high hopes they will survive. Rather, I throw them into CC against the invaders, hoping for my dice to warm up. They don't.

Turn 3 - Eritreans

Eritrean reinforcements in the east begin climbing the cliff face, while a massive troop movement takes place. Shots by the defenders only disrupt dirt and sand.

As the turn ends, the conscripts in the east are finally wiped out in melee combat.

Turn 3 - Ethiopians

With nothing to do in the east, that side goes quiet for the moment. In the west, two attempts at hurting the Eritreans do nothing, and the Berserk squad (from a rally phase several turns ago) run towards their closest enemy, suffering a Casualty Reduction in the process.

Turn 4 - Eritreans

Tons of movement is followed with tons of bad IIFT rolls, stuff like a point blank 8FP MMG with a -1 leader attacking adjacent units can't even get Rate of Fire, and the worst punishment the Eritreans suffer are some pin results. The inability to prevent movement where I should've has put tremendous pressure on me, which I doubt I can overcome at this point.

A 3-1 advantage for me in CC (with a -1 modifier) nets me nothing when I roll one in a series of 10s this scenario. This effectively locks down my largest base of fire, and my most potent leader.

And that's where the game ended. With the night coming to a close, and an overall lack of dice support, I just wouldn't be able to survive for another two turns without giving up a point somewhere. I had some lackluster choices made for my defensive setup, and this was the first scenario I'd ever played with the weird desert terrain, on top of using caves. Normally, caves allow for more movement between the various entrances, but I split them in the wrong way and suffered as a result. It certainly didn't help that I got diced, but that is sometimes the way it goes, and certainly so if you don't live (or play) long enough for things to even out...

Aftermath posted:

By 1030 hours, the 4th Ascari Brigade had taken several heights surrounding the summit of Amba Augher and engaged the Ethiopians holed up in caves at the rear of the mountain. Meanwhile, the 2nd Brigade seized Height 2917 to the east and was poised to cooperate with the 4th Brigade in the final assault on Height 2929, the highest point on Amba Augher. Both groups of Eritreans were assisted during their ascent by fighter aircraft of the Regia Aeronautica, which repeatedly raked the summit and rear of the mountain with machine gun fire. The advance was slow, owing to the resistance of the Ethiopians and the difficulty of the ground, but at about 1600 the two Ascari Brigades closed in and the summit fell. The advance resumed the next day under the blistering sun.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
LM-10: Those Left Behind - Part 1

Date: 4 March 1935

Briefing: The Red Army did not take everyone with them when they left Shihan. Some thirty thousand soldiers were left behind, 10,000 of them were hospital cases. Most supporters of the politically weak Mao Zedong were also designated to stay behind. The military commander, Chen Yi, wanted to organize guerilla bands and head for the hills. The political Commissar, Xiang Ying saw it as their duty to keep the Soviet Territories intact. Within a month, the capitol Ruijin had fallen and there was no hope of holding the Soviet Territory. Units began to make preparations for guerilla war. The third member of the command trioka, He Chang, was heading for the hills with two weak battalions when they were ambushed and scattered by the KMT.

Many would reassemble at Shihan and cross the Huichang river. Here, they were surrounded, and despite their best efforts, they could not break out. He Chang was wounded, and as the KMT closed in they began to shot "Catch him alive!" He Chang had saved a cartridge for himself, and now he used it. Red Army units failed to organize as guerillas. Instead, they hid in the mountains, living like animals and dying alone or in small groups. KMT reprisals killed another 50,000 known or suspected Communists. In the fall of 1937, a truce between the KMT and the Communists would find only a few hundred survivors.

Victory Condition: The Red Army must exit 5 or more EVP off the South, East, and/or West edges. The KMT win immediately if they capture the 10-0 Commissar.

KMT Strategy

This scenario is deceptively small. The Reds can set up in a number of ways, and the requirement for victory is rather low - two squads and a leader, or a combination thereof. This means that any defense needs to be strong, yet mobile. Considering the maps, I thought it would be best to set up heavily on the western side, as the multitude of orchards would make it impossible to shoot from a distance, whereas the eastern side of things is mostly open ground. Catching up in that direction would be harder, but offers less overall protection to my opponent. Critically, I have my MMG and best leader in the bottom middle of my flank, providing interdiction support towards the central road. The leader also doubles as help in order to move the MMG if its position becomes tenuous, or if I need to shift them to the right flank.

Special Rules

Die With Honor: The 10-0 may attempt Hari Kari (G6.142)

Turn 1 - Red Army

With such a heavy force on the western side, the Red Army quickly turns around and moves towards my far weaker flank. The process, done safely for the most part, does see some setbacks when a squad is pinned in F4 after losing the protection of the wall, as well as a massive setback when my MMG rolls a modified 2 on 4FP. One squad takes a casualty reduction and they all break.

By the end of the turn, the Reds find themselves on the road and threatening an early exit if I don't transfer my units over, quickly.

Turn 1 - KMT

The chase is on! I must catch up to the enemy, but I also can't risk too much attempting it. I line up near the still-concealed Red Army units at the base of the hill, while others get to the road up north or race across open ground towards the east to infiltrate the forest and prevent further sneaky moves.

With plenty of ground covered, and the Close Combat continuing for another turn, it is readily apparent that my right flank is weak... far too weak, and a squad or two are the only things preventing an early Red exit and victory.

Turn 2 - Red Army

With my troops so far away, and with line of sight so bad, it is clear that the Reds can get away without a chance for my troops to prevent them. In the movement phase, I'm fairly certain we had an illegal move where a Red Army squad moved into the Melee, which isn't something you can do until the Advance Phase. I took a shot at them but there was no result, hence why I omitted it from the screenshot.

Turn 2 - KMT

While there is a ton of movement from the KMT side, it is not without reply from Hypnobeard's Red Army. Sadly, only pins are observed, and the only important one occurring while trying to transfer another squad northeast to watch the road. Them being pinned is a frustrating event, as I definitely don't have the manpower to prevent something crazy from happening.

The noose is tightening against the Red Army, but they still have plenty of means to throw bodies at the eastern map edge for a victory. The CC by the troops in the house turns into a melee, with the loss of one Red Army squad.

Turn 3 - Red Army

With the end in sight, the Red Army attempts one last desperate push. Opening up with a lucky shot against the squad in V8, I'm certain that Hypnobeard would've traded that for either of the two following shots against a stack of 2 squads, or my MMG in the woods. With no alternative, the may squads on the road and adjacent run forward, and disaster begins to strike after the first shot in AA5 yields no result, the MMG in Z9 malfunctions, and the only results are in BB5. At first, a squad broke, then another broke and Casualty Reduced. The 8-0 and a squad managed to survive contact with the enemy and immediately scooted off the board for 3 EVP. The final nail in the coffin was when the 10-0 Commissar and a squad managed to run up to and past the chokepoint in BB5, but not before the squad travelling with the leader pinned.

While it is possible that Hypnobeard could've run a (half-squad) later on, they felt that the chances were low enough to call it where it stood. We were both surprised at how enjoyable this scenario was, especially compared to the rest of the pack. There's much I could've changed about my defensive setup (apart from the setup for the MMG), and Hypnobeard did really well exploiting that weakness. Had it not been for the residual firepower left in open ground, it would've been a guarantee for the Red Chinese to get off-board.

[See Briefing for Historical Result]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
LM-11: Medieval Warfare - Part 1

Date: 10 May 1935

Briefing: From Zunyi, the Red Army headed south, then west. After crossing the Yangtze River near its southern-most bend, they headed north to the old city of Huili. Mao was hoping for a place to rest, recruit, and resupply before crossing the rugged mountains to the north. The inhabitants of the mountains were a non-Chinese people, the Yi, and he could expect no help from them. Most cities either welcomed the Red Army or had fallen easily. Huili would be another story. Soldiers of the KMT's 24th Division shut the gates to the walled city and there was no popular uprising. The Red Army took the east and west gates, but found they were denied entrance by an inner wall.

The KMT lit fires to the houses between the walls to drive the Communists back. The next attack would see Red Army soldiers using bamboo scaling ladders and the defenders pouring boiling rice porridge onto them. Many Red Army soldiers were severely scalded by the porridge, and the attack failed. Mining under the gates and setting off explosives terrified the city inhabitants, but still the Red Army failed to take the city. Eventually, the frustrated Red Army would continue north without the needed supplies.

Victory Condition: The Red Army wins at Game End if they Control building C2 or building G2.

KMT Strategy

Welcome to DELUXE ASL, where the hexes are larger and the moves don't matter. Every map is about half its "regular" size, which makes movement slightly less important, as it doesn't take nearly as long to get to your destination. This scenario is a great example of that, the Red Chinese only have to move two hexes to get to their victory location(s). (Funnily enough, while re-checking, it seems Hypnobeard's setup here was partially illegal, as you can't set up on half-hexes if those half-hexes are part of a 2nd board that you can't set up on.) There's an advantage to the attacker because of this lack of movement, as they can open with "Kill Stacks", groups with high firepower, and smash a particular strongpoint or defensive line. My plan is to take advantage of the wall my men are currently sitting on, and which the Reds must scale with ladders, before retreating into the victory hexes and praying that Close Combat goes my way, or that the Morale Checks are in my favor.

Special Rules

Convoluted: 7 SSRs is far too many.

Turn 1 - Red Army

We can see how deadly things are right away! The communists unleash a torrent of fire, breaking nearly half my starting force. This is setting me up for failure, and I have to hope that I can rally them as soon as possible, because I don't have the confidence that they will survive otherwise.

State of board, end of turn

Turn 1 - KMT

With few units to move or shoot with, I opt to use the two squad in D1 to try and KIA the leader and broken squad in D0/D5, while others move to the relative safety of the C2 building. In return, Hypnobeard's forces absolutely batter the men on the wall, breaking both and reducing one.

[tmg]https://i.imgur.com/C3f7iB5.jpg[/timg]
State of the board - end of game turn 1

Turn 2 - Red Army

Only two groups are in shooting positions that would achieve much, and luck swings in favor of the defenders. Otherwise, movement revolves around getting to the wall or climbing the wall.

State of the board - end of turn

Turn 2 - KMT

The only thing of note here was an LMG being broken while trying to repair it and a trio of squad rallying in F2, allowing for the whole group to move to G3 in the movement phase.

Turn 3 - Red Army

More units scale the walls, and yet still more break in the attempts to gain and defend their ground...

State of the board - end of turn.

Turn 3 - KMT

Panic is starting to set in for the defenders when few positive results are achieved. E1 is turning into a bit of a meatgrinder for those on the wall, but G2/F2 seeing no result from either side is stressful.

With units stranded on the wall, the KMT throw their lot in with the gods and assault the G2 position. No ambush is achieved by either side, and the fighting sees a Casualty Reduction achieved by either side, a squad for each being reduced.

Turn 4 - Red Army

The men on the wall attempt to shoot once more, only to find a pin result against a solitary squad. Return fire is devastating, eliminating a half-squad, casualty reducing a full squad, and breaking another. Other units still on the opposite side of the wall move nearer to the scaling ladders to help reinforce the assault.

Disaster strikes for the Reds when the dice go the way of the KMT, securing victory in G2, and also causing a leader to be promoted from the ranks.

Turn 4 - KMT

E1 is proving itself to be more and more of a manpower sink. The series of dice I was rolling after the first 2 turns were red hot, much to my surprise and Hypnobeard's dismay. Another break and another full squad dead, stranded on a wall. Exchanges of fire on the eastern side yield no results anywhere.

As the turn comes to a close, a massive stack assaults the F2 factory hex, while the 6+1 and half-squad go into G3 to prevent them doing anything in the following turn. Both of us were shocked as the streak of rolls continued, eliminating all the Red Chinese without any casualties in return.

And that's where the game was called... Honestly, my dice were so hot I don't think Hypnobeard had a chance this game, despite the amazing opener they had and the potential for combat to have swung their way in the right flank factory. That said, the scenario is bogged down with numerous SSRs, some of which may never be used - for example a set of porridge cauldrons need a Good Order MMC to be used, but when you're being lit up immediately, and broken before even reaching the wall. We'll see more Deluxe ASL in the future, and hopefully they'll be just as bloody (but, you know, in a more even way!)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
ASL-254: Criniti's Escape - Part 1

Date: 15 December 1935

Briefing: With Emperor Haile Selassie hoping for a diplomatic solution, his armies were under orders to withdraw as the Italians advanced and thus had engaged in little serious fighting. Now in early December, the Emperor, under increasing pressure from his commanders to strike back, reluctantly ordered a counterattack by three of his armies to cut off the Italian advance on the northern front. Early on 15 December, the Ethiopians of Ras Imru's army of Gojjam forded the Takazze River and quickly advanced up a mountain trail toward the Italian-held pass of Dembeguina. The Ethiopians lost a chance at surprise when their advanced guard wildly attacked an Italian horse patrol. The local Italian commander, Major Luigi Criniti, called for support, which arrive in the form of a squadron of light tanks - the Nile Explorers of the Group Duke of Abruzzi. The Italians were holding their own, but eventually the superior Ethiopian numbers began to tell. Several L3s were overturned, and others had their tracks torn off by swarming groups of native soldiers. Criniti's men attempted to fall back toward their bases deeper in the pass but soon discovered their retreat path blocked by the rapidly moving enemy.

Victory Condition: The Italians win immediately upon exiting 32 or more Exit VP off the east edge.

Ethiopian Strategy

The Ethiopians have to spread out to cover the wide area with which the Italians could potentially sneak through, with the (almost) assured path that the trucks will be taking down the center, and then turning to my right flank, before continuing down. While I have the vast majority in manpower, the diminutive firepower each of those squads carries with it does not instill much confidence in my forces. To make matters worse, I don't have much of anything to counter the tankettes with. They certainly aren't an invincible war machine, but my biggest tools to counter them are a trio of LMGs and the human body and its capability of flipping over these tiny turretless tankettes. Considering the Italian setup, numerous squads will have to shift to the right flank. Additionally, the Italians do have a lot of ground to cover, and any chance to break or kill squads should be pursued.

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Dry, no Wind at Start.

Cavalry: Italian 3-3-6 squads and the 9-1 leader must enter as Cavalry and are the only Italian units that may be Cavalry.

Turn 1 - Italians

The Italians get moving rather quickly, and danger strikes with a 1FP down 2 shot breaking a squad, which just goes to show how dangerous movement is in the open in the desert. Of note is the tankettes who have moved up to the defensive line, stirring up dust in their wake and threatening the defenders with potential overruns.

Further fire from the defenders broke two more squads, one of which was part of the cavalry unit, forced to bail out and the horses bolted to roam the desert. Another issue frustrating the Italian commander is the fact that one of the tankettes discovered a malfunction for its machine gun, becoming defenseless.

Turn 1 - Ethiopians

The first Ethiopian turn doesn't go very well, although it is more because of incredibly dense firegroups formed by the Italians and my need for moving to my right flank and prevent an early breakthrough. The situation is still in my favor considering the relative morale and manpower numbers involved, and I feel I can afford having a squad move aggressively towards the Italian trucks.

State of the board, end of game turn 1

Turn 2 - Italians

With the need to move forward, Gary sends their tankettes forward first, using the Overrun Tactic, one that allows a tank(ette) to drive into an infantry units position, blast them point blank with any available machine guns, and then continuing (if they survive) to roam the desert wastes again. In the first instance, a brave squad of Ethiopians is mowed down, where the next three proved luckier for the defenders. The tankettes would later attack a concealed stack, pinning a leader and breaking a squad. The non-cavalry Italians proceeded to assault move, limiting their movements to one hex (for all but one squad and a leader moving to help rally units), with the non-assaulting squad breaking in the process. Criniti, the 9-1, takes fire on multiple occasions, coming out unscathed.

State of the board - end of turn 2.

Turn 2 - Ethiopians

As the Italians continue to push, the need to shift my force is further magnified. Shots buzz about like angry bees, striking an Italian squad dead center, breaking and casualty reducing them. As payback, one of the tankettes scores a hit, breaking the adjacent squad.

Small note, I jump into CC against two separate tankettes, losing an 8-0 leader in the process :(.

Turn 3 - Italians

Turn 3 is a rollercoaster of emotions to start, before the gods of war show favor tot he Ethiopians. The opening moves involve a tankette being blown up while leaving the melee, only for the other functional Italian vehicle to run rampant and break three squads in two overruns! Further moves see a squad breaking in open ground, and another breaking and casualty reducing from boxcars while attempting to grab the MMG left in the sand. To make matters worse, Criniti, in an attempt to reach the safety of the trucks, is gunned down by the squad I'd thrown towards the trucks to prevent routs and eliminate broken units, a fine result for such a bold move! As if taking the piss, I tried my hand at shooting an LMG at the puny L3/35, only for the rounds to hit the side, penetrating the thin armor, and eliminating the crew.

With only 1 Italian L3/35 tankette with a functional Main Armament, 5 good order squads (3 of which are truck-bound), and a violent mass of Ethiopians waiting for the invaders to approach ever closer, the towel is thrown into the ring and the scenario called.

This scenario was marred at the start by an error regarding platoon movement, which we'd forgotten about until Turn 2, and the cavalry coming in un-aided, and the trucks carrying vital troops without having them participate in any way. The constant small, but effective shots by the Ethiopians cost the Italians dearly. This was also a day where Gary, the Italian player, rolled 3 (or was it only 2?) Boxcars on Morale Checks, devastating any unit it could happen to (ELR, Casualty Reduction, and Break!) :yikes:

There's a real need to move everyone together, using the tankettes (and dust) as cover, having the cavalry follow them up and dismounting, and using the dismounted infantry to mop up afterwards, and to be a heavy base of fire, despite penalties for fire in the Advancing Fire Phase. Alas, even the best plans fail if the dice don't support you, but otherwise not a bad scenario.

Aftermath posted:

A breakout was organized, led by the remaining tanks and Major Criniti on horseback. One tank was disabled by an Ethiopian warrior named Tashema, who leapt onto a moving tank and began pounding the turret hatch with his sword shouting "Open!" in Italian. The vehicle commander opened his hatch to investigate, at which time Tashema used his sword to quickly dispatch the hapless crew. The first breakout attempt failed, and Criniti was wounded. After another unsuccessful breakout attempt, the Ethiopians broke into the Italian rear, killing the wounded as well as those with their hands raised in surrender, a gesture they did not understand. A desperate bayonet charge finally forced a breach, through which the Italians could escape. Nonetheless, when dusk fell, all the L3 were lost, and nearly half of Criniti's men lay dead or wounded on the battlefield.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
LM-12: Two Coins For The Ferryman - Part 1

Date: 24 May 1935

Briefing: After heading north from Huili, the Red Army endured crossing through Li country. The half-civilized natives had a natural distrust of all Chinese, and harassed and disrupted the columns despite accepting payment for safe passage. The Red Army now found itself in a large geographic trap, this same region had seen tens of thousands of rebels trapped and killed 70 years earlier. To escape the trap, they would need to cross the Dadu River. Only three crossings were available. Fukin was in the direction of the approaching Nationalist forces, and Luding was far away across difficult terrain. The ferry crossing at Anshunchang gave the most hope.

The garrison at Anshunchang had been ordered to keep the ferries on the east bank, out of reach of the Red Army. However, the garrison commander thought the Red Army couldn't travel fast enough to be a threat yet and had taken one of the ferries across the river to visit his in-laws. The fast moving Red Army captured the west bank, the garrison commander, and the all important boat. A dozen ferrymen were located, and at dawn the first group was ferried across, then a second, and near dusk a third. The boat made the hazardous crossings under mortar fire from the KMT. The Red Army had their best mortar crews return fire with their last four shells to excellent effect. The valuable boat was almost lost when it became grounded mid-river, but the ferrymen managed to free it. Soon, the east bank and the other two boats were in the hands of the Red Army. But with the river rising and trips taking four hours and more, it was obvious that the Red Army could not cross here. Only one division would be ferried, and they set off to capture the bridge at Luding. On the west bank, the 4th Assault Regiment would head for the same bridge.

Victory Condition: The side that controls 3 or more of the following hexes wins: 7J10, 7K10, 7K9, 7L9, and 7M10.

KMT Strategy

The path to victory lies in a short, quick strike against the Red Army already situated on the eastern (bottom) side of the river. The lack of good line of sight makes the placement of my mortar critical, as destroying the means of long-range support for the Reds can be a devastating blow. The close proximity is something I want to exploit before any more reinforcements show up, and to do that I am going to be throwing bodies at the various groups. With less morale, on average, and worse leaders, throwing bodies into Close Combat levels the playing field, at least in terms of Morale, and the firepower advantage can be limited with enough large CC/Melees on my part.

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Moderate, with a Mild Breeze from the East at Start.

River: The river is Deep with a Heavy Current from the North.

Limited Ammunition: The Red 76mm Mortar may only attempt to shoot 3 times before its Breakdown # is reduced to 6.

Turn 1 - Red Army

The game opens up with a large force of machine guns firing across the river and immediately breaking the crew serving my own MMG. Both of our mortars malfunction, continuing our streak in such marvelous fashion, while Red units fire and KMT troops, breaking a squad on a hill.

Turn 1 - KMT

The line, as a whole, advances towards the Red Army units, and the beginnings of a desperate defense begins. One squad, pinned out in the open, and another two break as they occupy a nearby house. To make matters worse for the KMT, their mortar's malfunction turns out to be an irreplaceable item, and the crew will now be forced to help the men attempting to close in for Close Combat.

That Close Combat sees two separate fights, although only one has any result, it proves to be devastating. Two conscript squads, miraculously, take out one of the 5-2-7 squads and the 9-1 leader. With no losses in return, the balance of power has shifted over to the KMT.

Turn 2 - Red Army

Hypnobeard's troops do all they can to prevent any further breakthroughs, and is frustrated (as anyone ought to have been!) when they repaired their mortar in the Rally Phase only to IMMEDIATELY break it, again, in the Prep Fire Phase. For those playing the home game, that's 2 of the 3 shots before the elimination # for the Mortar drops to 6. (Meaning any number 6 or above on a shot will remove the mortar off the table) Only pins are achieved, making the defense that much harder to achieve.

And the hits just keep on coming. A 3 to 2 advantage for the Reds in J10, with a -1 DRM thanks to the Hero, fails to achieve any result, and the KMT are quiet here too. Sadly, the same cannot be said for L9, where the KMT roll magnificently and take out the entire stack of Reds. This proves the deciding blow, as now they are confined to one hex, and the boat simply cannot be carrying enough troops to (1squad, 1 leader, 2 crews) to shift the tides of war. The Machine Guns on the far side of the river cannot break everyone, and I can simply hide from them at this point.

Frankly, this was a rough scenario that went wrong for Hypnobeard more than it did for me. Both our mortars did bupkis, which is unfathomable considering the vulnerability due to being in a Woods hex (-1 DRM) which would've been fun to see, finally. The turn length, lack of troops on "my" side of the board at the start, and the terrain that can allow a slow, or fast, approach with minimal danger, seems like a strange choice by the designers, and it begs the question as to how much this scenario (and others) were playtested. Is this end-of-the-scenario-pack syndrome? Perhaps, but it was definitely a little disappointing with how quickly this one played out.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Quite lot of not so well known battles and conflicts in these. Sheer variety of missions reminds me of Steel Panthers.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Banemaster posted:

Quite lot of not so well known battles and conflicts in these. Sheer variety of missions reminds me of Steel Panthers.

There's like 5000 scenarios in our list, iirc, so yeah, there's going to be a bit of variety. 🥳

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah we haven't even gotten to the Spanish Civil War yet!

Edit: That's honestly the beauty of ASL, is that the Third-Party market is grand and there's representations for most every major ground battle in the 30s/40s

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
ASL-255: The Bitwoded Gamble - Part 1

Date: 13 February 1936

Briefing: Six miles long and three miles wide, Amba Aradam rose high above the surrounding countryside. It was both the pivot and the assembly point of the whole Ethiopian line. Pietro Badoglio's plan for cracking the position was simple enough. Two Blackshirt divisions were to squeeze in the middle, while two regular divisions were to sweep round in a wider encircling movement and pinch the mountain off at its rear. Thus, Ras Mulugueta, the Ethiopian commander, and his whole army would be trapped. The Bitwoded Makonnen commanded the army of Welega-Arjo, the most modern and well-armed force in the north. Realizing the danger to the Mulugueta's army and aching for a fight, he ignored the orders of his superiors and set out with a small hand-picked force to halt the encircling left hook of the Italians.

Victory Condition: The Ethiopians win at game end by Controlling both sangar Locations.

Italian Strategy

Back to the desert and another stark reminder of just how vast the desert boards are and how they are represented. I'm not quite sure the effect should be made here, but we'll get into that. The Italians have less than half the manpower as the Ethiopians, while barely sporting any weaponry to hold an advantage over them. The few defensive locations are being held and, it is hoped, will survive first contact against the Ethiopians so that units can regroup and redeploy to more pressing fronts as the reinforcements arrive. There's going to be a whole lot of nothing early on for me to do, provided my opponent waits for reinforcements. If they do not, I may be able to force their hand, either killing units outright or going into melee/CC and killing them the fast way... provided it doesn't backfire.

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Dry, with no Wind at Start.

Twilight Hours: There is a +1 Twilight LV Hindrance on Game Turns 1 and 2.

Turn 1 - Ethiopians

The Ethiopians take things slowly, almost exclusively assault moving. As the Italians start revealing themselves, one Ethiopian squad is caught out and broken. Not nearly as much damaging as I'd hoped, but a start nonetheless.

While reinforcements come in from the extreme left.

Turn 1 - Italians

Things take a turn for the worst right from the get-go. Despite being adjacent, with no real protection, I simply cannot break any Ethiopian squads. I also break one of my precious LMGs, something I don't think I manage to repair. To help make up for this, a squad is sent up from the hillock for the eventual chaos that will ensue...

That being a bunch of Close Combat. Sadly for me, NOTHING goes my way. Any luck I'd had with my dice in Close Combat has faded away. I had the firepower advantage, and briefly the manpower advantage, and neither helped. The plan was to kill 2 of the 3 squads (average dice being equal, etc etc) and then retreat back into the buildings. The Ethiopians could technically shoot back, but even 4 firepower on a +1 is not something I was worried about if it meant a quick end to the northern flank. All those troops would've ferried down south to the hillock, with perhaps a couple sitting idly in the buildings waiting to strike.

Turn 2 - Ethiopians

The Ethiopians march forward, slowly, but no defensive fire is able to achieve a solid result. My MMG opens up against a leader, breaking them, but not harming the squad he was with.

Masses of Ethiopian soldiers are approaching fast, and my hillock to the south is screwed. If I was smarter, they'd have been with the rest. :doh: The painful lessons continue as I lose a leader and two squads in Close Combat over three separate fights.

Turn 2 - Italians

The MMG continues to underperform, which is really bad considering the number of troops I'm having to face as losses mount. Tragically, a 3-4-7 squad almost makes it to be able to force themselves into a Close Combat at a 3 to 1 ratio, but it wasn't meant to be. :(

In order to attempt to preserve more troops, I throw in a squad into an existing melee. Things go my way here.

Turn 3 - Ethiopians

As the Ethiopians take their third turn, it becomes more apparent that the dice are playing favorites, and there's less and less chance for success for the plucky Italians. No Ethiopians are breaking, the MMG refuses to score decisive hits or get rate of fire, my squads can't and/or won't rally, and CC continues to be deadly. In the end, I had to throw in the towel, there was just no way I could possibly survive another 5(!) turns. Frankly, I realised near the end just how poor my initial setup was, at least to a certain degree, as well as how poor my overzealous decision for melees in the open, giving up at least one stone building for the privilege. Well, you can't win em all, and I struggle to figure out how the Italians are supposed to beat the attackers when they have 2.2x the manpower, nearly as many support weapons and the better leaders. :shrug:

Aftermath posted:

The Bitwoded ("Beloved") Makonnen divided his men into three parties. The objective was a group of Italian machine gun positions set up the previous afternoon, with the guns having commanding fields of fire over the plains before them. Under cover of the half-light before dawn, the Ethiopians crept toward the enemy. As one group slipped quietly along a deep gully, the Italians gave the alarm, and the desperate assault began. By 1000, the Ethiopians had captured all the forward machine gun positions, but over half their forces were killed or wounded. Among the wounded was the Bitwoded Makonnen himself. Hit in the first assault, he would die the next morning. The surviving Ethiopians were mercilessly pounded by Italian guns and fighter-bombers, driving them off their newly won positions. The Ethiopians fell back in disorder, carrying their mortally wounded leader with them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
LM-13: Fierce Tiger In The Fog - Part 1

Date: 28 Mayy 1935

Briefing: The Red Army's 4th Assault Regiment had received orders to travel 90 miles over mountainous terrain and capture a suspension bridge. The bridge at Luting was the only bridge across the Dadu River, and was absolutely necessary. The 4th set off for their objective ona path so bad that they had to cut their own footholds into the mountains. On the first day they travelled about twenty-five miles, and fought two battles against small garrisons. Soon after, a short night's rest they were overtaken by a messenger. The deadline for capturing the bridge was advanced. They now had 24 hours to hike the 70 miles and capture the bridge. Their next battle would be against a KMT battalion dug in on the top of Fierce Tiger Mountain.

Fog closed in as they ascended the mountain. They approached the KMT position without any alarm being given. Grenades and bayonets provided more shock than the KMT could take and they were soon routed. The main obstacle for the 4th Assault Regiment continued to be time and rough terrain.

Victory Condition: The Red Army must accumulate 35 or more CVP/EVP.

KMT Strategy

My defence is set up for two scenarios, the first being a quick charge down the road up north, or movement through the southern portion of the map. While each stack offers some wide ranges to cover, their attacks are weak. If the Red Army goes north, the units already on the hill will be able to shuffle down the hill that way. Thankfully, its not the other way around, as my conscripts would have a hard time going up and covering as much ground.

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Wet, with no Wind at Start.

Hazy Days: Fog is in effect for all levels. The fog adds +2 DRM at all ranges.

Turn 1 - Red Army

The Reds start by shooting and breaking a first line squad, which was hoping the +2 DRM would be of more use. The concealed stack in the building at Y2 remained safe, but otherwise nothing is achieved.

Turn 1 - KMT

In an attempt to return the favor, the trio of conscript squads in Y2 open up on the pair of 5-2-7 squads in X2. 18FP with only a +2 from the fog... fumbled. The conscripts are now sitting ducks. To make matters worse, they all break, two of them twice, causing casualty reduction, as the Red Army shoots back in the Defensive Fire Phase. With so many Reds now having free access to the end via the northern road, I have to shuffle some units around to cover that.

Turn 2 - Red Army

With three prisoners in tow, the Reds beat feet on the northern road, while other squads move towards the hill to force me to defend there instead. A lucky shot triggers a Heat of Battle, turning my 3-3-7 into a berserker squad, triggering a sniper, which hit a big stack that rolled doubles, breaking two squads. Life can be unfair some times.

State of the board

Turn 2 - KMT

No shots connect this turn for the KMT, continuing their demoralized ways. The Berserk squad runs its way to X4, getting shot at 4 times, and casualty reducing in the process. Elsewhere, units are moving to help cover the exit road and to do as much as possible to reinforce those currently fighting.

Turn 3 - Red Army

As the number of squads available dwindles, fewer and fewer actions are taken. The fog is proving to be a frustrating addition, as nobody seems to be able to hit their targets. Red Army Units, sensing the door closing, rush around the north as the hills continue to be dominated by the KMT at the higher ground.

Units continue to advance forwards, and the melee has a setback for the KMT with one 3-3-6 squad being eliminated.

Turn 3 - KMT

Turn three brings more hurt for the KMT, losing out in their Melee. Had the squad in AA4 not pinned, I would've sent them in as well. Might not have turned the tide, but it could've held up those two squads a further turn.

Turn 4 - Red Army

A failed 20fp attack by the squads in Z3 leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, and leaves me counting my blessings. The Reds are committing fully to running off board, not a bad choice considering my lack of defense in depth.

Another setback occurs when one elite 5-2-7 squad perishes in close combat to some lowly conscripts thanks to an exceptionally lucky roll of the dice. (Turns out only one died, already edited the image, my bad)

Turn 4 - KMT

Some pins are worthwhile... if the Reds were moving. Granted, its nice to only have to worry about less firepower when being shot at.

And to make up for my editing error, units dogpile the last 5-2-7 and take it out in CC. While this is great, I can't see the Reds with those victorious troops, so I have to hope the 4 squads I have watching the exit can do the job.

Turn 5 - Red Army

As turn 5 begins, a number of squads open fire but find no purchase. With the hope that the same will be true for me, Hypnobeard's men advance! 4 units make it offboard, while at least 3 others are either broken or pinned.

14 CVP + 7 EVP, Hypnobeard is 14 CVP away from victory.

Turn 5 - KMT

Another turn lacking results from shots, but an exposed flank allows the leader and conscripts in AA4 run to BB0...

The result being the loss of the Red Army 9-2.

And thus ended the scenario. It was getting late and the margins were razor thin, so we called it a draw, as we didn't want to come back to it simply to play ten mins and move on. That being said, it was interesting to see how this one developed, with early breaks, painful losses, and a frustrating fog that did much to ruin our chances at getting results for the various shots, regardless of side, size, or range.

Edit: For clarity, the amount of EVP available on the map was 11, not counting prisoners. Prisoners were worth an additional 4. Hypnobeard was 14 short to a victory, and, with two turns left, and any breaks being automatic death for any unfortunate Red Army troops, it was simply not possible to pick a winner.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 15, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Armoury

British
Ordnance
Vehicles

Chinese
Ordnance
Vehicles

Finnish
Ordnance
Vehicles

French
Ordnance
Vehicles

German
Ordnance
Vehicles

Italian
Ordnance
Vehicles

Japanese
Ordnance
Vehicles

Russian
Ordnance
Vehicles

United States
Ordnance
Vehicles

Allied Minors
Ordnance: Belgian, Danish, Dutch, Polish, Swedish, Yugoslav, Other/Common
Vehicles: Belgian, Danish, Dutch, Polish, Swedish, Yugoslav, Other/Common

Axis Minors
Ordnance: Bulgarian, Croatian, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovakian, Spain, Other/Common
Vehicles: Bulgarian, Croatian, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovakian, Spain, Other/Common

Landing Craft

Korean War

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 30, 2023

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Uh oh what's this sorcery?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Italian Armoury - Vehicles

In the late 1930s the Italian Army officially committed itself to a program of mechanization, believing that if so equipped it could win swift and decisive victories, thereby avoiding the stalemates and appalling casualties of the Great War. Unfortunately for those ultimately involved in the impending conflict, the implementation of this program was severely impeded by a number of factors. Among these were a basic lack of raw materials, a relatively small industrial base with little experience in AFV design, a general lack of funds due to the financial stringencies of the 1930s, and the conservatism of certain high ranking officers and officials. In the autumn of 1939 the army possessed about 1,500 “tanks,” but the overwhelming majority of them were marginally useful L3 tankettes. When Mussolini declared war in June 1940, his army was far from ready. Its total number of tanks had increased only to some 1,660, while the army’s rapid expansion had created widespread equipment shortages in crucial areas like motor transport to items as mundane as helmets. Moreover, the approximately 11,700 infantry, artillery, and AA guns of ≥ 65mm in service included less than 250 modern (i.e., 1930s-era) pieces—the newest of the remainder being World War 1 veterans.

The small Italian armaments industry could not, in view of everything working against it, provide prodigious numbers of AFVs. From June 1940 to August 1943 it produced only about 3,300 tanks, SP guns, and armored cars. The highest monthly total was but 170 vehicles, of which 65 were medium tanks. There was some discussion with the Germans of building the PzKpfw III, IV, and V in Italy—but this withered on the vine for a number of reasons, including the opposition of several high Italian officials and industrialists.

Italian AFVs were characterized by their light weight, generally low horsepower-to-weight ratio, and thin armor (the latter a policy resulting at least in part from the constant shortage of funds and raw materials). The armor plate was of poor quality, tending to crack and split when hit, and was attached by rivets, which further diminished its overall integrity while increasing the danger to the crew inside. The design of new and radically better tanks was not accorded a high priority, due to both military conservatism and the lost production that extensive retooling would cause. Even so, Mussolini (who, unlike Hitler, neither fully understood the correct priorities in tank design nor took much interest in such matters) had to order the development of a tank with a 75mm gun (the P26/40), as the army saw no need for one. Yet, despite the absence in the field of more combat effective tanks and SP guns until nearly the end, Italian AFV crews continued to fight bravely in their obsolete vehicles even when hopelessly outmatched.

At the start of the war, the nomenclature for Italian tracked AFVs followed the format “X #/#”. The letter classed the vehicle as either light (L; ≤ 5 tons), medium (M; > 8 but ≤ 15 tons) or heavy (P; > 15 tons). The first number indicated the design weight in tons, and the second the year of acceptance.

#1 - L5/21 & L5/30

Also known respectively as the Fiat 3000 A Model 1921 and Fiat 3000 B Model 1930, these were Italy’s first series-produced tanks. They were based on the French Renault FT-17 but incorporated numerous improvements. (Indeed, the 3000
A was the fastest tank in the world in 1921.) The L5/21 carried two coaxially mounted 8mm MG, as did some of the L5/30; however, most L5/30 carried a medium-velocity 37mm gun and were intended as platoon and company command tanks. 100 L5/21 and 48 L5/30 were built. The Italians referred to them officially as assault tanks (carri d’assalto), and until mid-1939 considered them first-line AFV. The L5/21 was first used in 1926 against the Senussi in Libya. The L5 saw action in 1936 during the conquest of Ethiopia, and in June 1940 a few apparently participated in attacks along the French-Italian border in the Moncenisio region. Two L5 companies, each of nine tanks, were in Sicily when the Allies landed there; one, in XII Corps, was deployed dug-in as a pillbox, while the other, in XVI Corps, was destroyed in the counterattack on Gela. An L5 platoon comprised four tanks.

#2 - L3/35

Note: Riveted armor, not Bolted - This is a CV33 / L3/33

Note: Although harder to see, the armor on this example is bolted on, rather than riveted

Derived from the British Carden-Loyd Mk VI tankette, this AFV first appeared in 1933. The original model, designated the CV 33 (Carro Veloce; fast tank), carried a single 6.5mm MG, but later versions were equipped with two tandem-mounted 8mm MG (and the older models were thusly retrofitted). In 1935 the CV 35 went into production, featuring a number of minor modifications (but both types are equivalent in game terms). In 1938 their designations were changed to L3/33 and L3/35. When Italy entered the war in June 1940, L3 were by far the most common Italian AFV, equipping all but two of the tank battalions in the three Italian armored divisions, the tank battalion allotted to each motorized division, the light tank squadron group (equivalent to a battalion) in each Celere (“rapid”; i.e., cavalry) division, and numerous independent tank battalions. The L3 acquired several nicknames, among which were Scatoletta (little can) and Cassa da Morto (death box). Between 2,000
and 2,500 (including all variants) were built. A platoon comprised four vehicles.

L3 were used at one time or another almost everywhere Italian units fought: 10/35-4/36 in the conquest of Ethiopia; 2/37-3/39 in Spain (149 were sent); in the Balkans from 1939; 6/40 in France; in North Africa (where in June 1940 about 320 were present, constituting all the armor there at that time); in Italian East Africa (39 were present in June 1940); 9/41-1/42 in Russia (with the 3rd “San Giorgio” Gruppo Squadroni Carri L of the 3rd Celere Division); 7-8/43 in Sicily; and in Italy where after
the 9/43 armistice they were used by Italian Fascists and the Germans. L3 imported during the 1930s were used in combat by the Greeks, Hungarians, and Chinese. In the Balkans, captured/seized L3 were used by the Germans, Croatians, and Yugoslavians.

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: #3 - The Italian Fiat-Ansaldo Carro Veloce 3-35 fast tank was the most common Italian AFV to be found in the Spanish Civil War. With the Nationalists petitioning for material support, Mussolini sent Italian tank "advisors" along with the CV 3-35's in September 1936, and the Italians soon entered battle dressed in the uniforms of the Spanish Foreign Legion. Later, Spanish Nationalist crews were trained to take over operation of teh tankettes while more L3/35s arrived as part of Italian units operating independently. Many of these tankettes were lost or captured during the battle of Guadalajara where the L3/35, armed only with a machine gun, showed itself unable to stand up to cannon-bearing Russian T-26s used by the Republican Forces. After design changes, this tankette was later designated as the L3/35. The CV 3-35 was operated by two crewmen. The Spanish designation for this tank was Carro Ligero Rapido CV 3-35.

#4 - L3 cc

During the early months of the war a small number of L3 in Libya were modified by replacing their MG with a Solothurn 20mm ATR. This combination enhanced not only the AFV’s AT capability but the mobility of the ATR and its crew’s survivability as well. Apparently all the L3 cc were lost during the course of Operation COMPASS, the British counteroffensive of 12/40-2/41.

#5 - L3 Lf

Development of a flamethrower (lanciafiamme) variant of the L3 began in 1935. The flame nozzle replaced one of the AFV’s MG, and the FT fuel was carried in a lightly armored trailer. The design of the trailer was less than satisfactory, however, and before long new versions of the L3 Lf appeared with the FT fuel carried in a shallow, box-shaped tank above the engine compartment. (But apparently not many of the new types saw action.) The L3 Lf first saw combat during April 1936, in Ethiopia. It was used in the Spanish Civil War, and later in France, the Balkans, North Africa, and Italian East Africa. Examples of the L3 Lf remained in service after 1941 but apparently did not see significant combat
again. Each L3 battalion was authorized one flamethrower platoon (of four L3 Lf) per L3 company; however, the cavalry’s squadron groups did not use the FT version. It is not known how many L3 Lf were built, but it was the most numerous L3 variant. One example of the trailered version captured by the British was sent to England for evaluation, and probably was the inspiration for the Churchill Crocodile.

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: #4 - A variant of the machine gun armed CV 3-35, this Italian flamethrower tankette featured prominent use by Italian troops fighting at Guadalajara where they inflicted considerable damage on defending Republican soldiers. However, constrained to the roads by bad weather, many of these tanks were destroyed or captured by the Republican counter-offensive. Spanish designation for this tank was Carro Ligero Rapido CV 3-35 version Lanzallamas.

#17 - AS 42, AS 42 aa, AS 42 cc

The AS 42 (AS stands for Autosahariana) was derived from the AB 41 armored car but, unlike the latter, was unarmored and lacked a rear driving position. Designed specifically for long-range reconnaissance in North Africa, it had an excellent cross-country range of almost 500 miles. It was also known as the Camionetta Desertica mod. 42 (Desert Weapons Carrier model 1942), and was nicknamed la Sahariana (the Saharan). Its armament varied, so three different versions have been included in the game. AS 42 saw action in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy. After the armistice, some were used by the Fascist Italians, and by the Germans (including on the Eastern Front and in the Battle of the Bulge). In all, about 200 were built.

#19 - Lancia 1ZM

In late 1912 Italy became the first nation to use armored cars in true war operations when several fought in North Africa during the Italo-Turkish conflict. Later, in 1915, the Lancia 1Z appeared; then in 1917 came the 1ZM, derived from the 1Z. Both Lancia types saw action in WW1. In 1928 the MG were replaced by more modern types. Afterward, 1ZM were used by the Italians from 1937 in the Spanish Civil War, in the conquest of Ethiopia in 1935-36, and later in Italian East Africa. Some were also exported to China in 1937. A squadron comprised six cars; a section two. Each 1ZM was equipped with special rails to enable it to drive through and cut wire.

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: #9 - This was an Italian armoured car of World War I manufacture. This vehicle performed well against poorly trained and armed troops in the fairly open countryside and hills of Andalucia in the drive for Malaga, but again was outclassed by the heavier modern Soviet tanks making their debut in the Republican arsenal. Spanish designation for this vehicle was Autoametralladora Lancia Ansaldo IZ.

#20 - Fiat 611A & 611B

Fiat 611A

Fiat 611B

These armored cars, sometimes also referred to as AB 611 or AB 34, were built on the chassis of Fiat 6×4 military trucks. The 611A had two MG in the front of the turret, while the 611B carried a medium-velocity 37mm gun instead. Both types had a MG in the rear of the turret and another in the rear hull. Fiat 611 were used operationally in the 1935-36 conquest of Ethiopia and later in Italian East Africa. A total of 46 were built.

#28 - Autocarri L, M, & P

The Italian Army possessed many diverse types and makes of trucks, and for this reason, the game pieces generically represent the light (Leggero), medium (Medio), and heavy (Pesante) classes. The payload capacity and minimum top
speed of the latter two were standardized in 1937, but otherwise, the manufacturers were largely free to use whatever engines, tires, etc. they wished. This, along with the existence of many vehicles produced prior to the standardization policy, caused no end of problems with spare parts. Italy began the war with some 42,000 vehicles (excluding cars and motorcycles), and through mid-1943 produced about 108,000 cars, trucks, and artillery tractors. Generally speaking, motor transport was in short supply at all levels throughout the war. Efforts were made to keep at least the forces in North Africa and Russia at full establishment, but production could not keep up with losses despite receiving Opel Blitz and French Citroën trucks from the Germans. Even pressing into service as much captured British transport as possible could not greatly alleviate the transport shortage in Africa. Aside from a few specialized types, the Italians generally did not use trucks to tow their artillery.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 29, 2024

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Russian Armoury - Vehicles

By 1941 the Soviet Union had a vast armored force of almost 30,000 AFV—more than the rest of the world combined. An obsession with annual production figures, however, upstaged the more mundane concern for the manufacture of spare parts. Consequently, when the Germans invaded, only about 7,000 of the 24,000 existing Soviet tanks could be considered completely battle- worthy. This in turn caused a large part of Soviet tank losses in the first months of Operation Barbarossa to be caused by mechanical breakdown. Several other important factors contributing to the poor showing of early Soviet armor were a general scarcity of radios, the inexperience of crews and commanders, and obsolete two-man turrets—all of which made Soviet tanks difficult to control as formations, and individually unwieldy in action. They were relatively “blind” and “dumb” in combat—often blundering about oblivious to beneficial terrain and enemy positions; a situation which the Germans (and Finns) were quick to exploit. The result of all this was that by December 1941 the Soviets had lost all but about 4,500 tanks (of which some 2,100 were keeping watch on the Japanese) and their armored force was at its nadir.

In 1942, with better tanks beginning to predominate and with better training and tactics resulting from the experiences of 1941, the situation slowly improved and the gulf in tactical expertise between the Soviets and the Germans began to gradually diminish. Moreover, the Soviet philosophy of quantity before quality allowed them to outproduce the Germans, whose AFV were technically superior but also more expensive and time-consuming to build. Indeed, even with the loss of much of their natural resources and the forced relocation of many production facilities in 1941, the Soviets during the course of WW2 built some 102,000 AFV (of which about 71,000 were the superior T-34/KV/IS tanks) and could use sheer weight of numbers (as could the Western Allies) to help overpower the outnumbered invaders.

#1 - T-37

A slightly altered version of the British Vickers A4E11. Used in recon units of infantry, cavalry, and mechanized formations. The game piece also represents the slightly different T-38 model. About 2,500 of all types were built.

#6 - T-26 M33 & T-26S M37/39

The T-26 tanks were originally developed from the British Vickers 6-ton models, and for the most part equipped the tank battalions (22 T-26 and 16 recon tanks) of rifle divisions. Prior to the German invasion of Russia they were used
in the Spanish Civil War (9/36-38), Manchuria (1939), and the Russo-Finnish War (1939-40). 88 were also sold to China around 1937. In 1941, T-26 and BT tanks formed 75% of the Soviet tank force. Over 12,000 T-26 were built, of which about 5,500 were Model 1933. The Models 1937 and 1939 had a more sloping turret and thicker armor.

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: #5 - With the Soviet Union coming forward as the principal supplier of the Spanish Republic, the arrival of Russian tanks in the Republican arsenal gave the Loyalists considerable armoured superiority as the cannon bearing T-26 B's greatly outclassed the Italian and German light tanks being supplied to the Nationalists. However, poor tactics led the Republic to squander most of these tanks in costly armoured assaults, unsupported by infantry, or to diffuse their offensive capability by allotting them to static defense or infantry support roles. Though most T-26B's were found in Republican service, the Nationalist troops resorted to a number of measures to capture these tanks as the only means of achieving armoured parity with the Republicans. Therefore, some Nationalist tank units actually utilized captured Russian tanks, with appropriate Nationalist markings to protect them against mistaken air attacks. The T-26B had a crew of 3. The Spanish designation for this tank was Carro Ligero de Infanteria T-26 B.

#8 - BT-5 M34

I don't really know where they get the M34 designation.

The BT (Bistrokhodny Tank: Fast Tank) were the basic AFV of independent tank brigades, and of mechanized and cavalry divisions. They were intended for use in the long-range exploitation role. Developed from the M1931 design of the American J.W. Christie, BT could be driven on their wheels, sans tracks—although this theoretical advantage was rarely used. BT were well-liked by their crews, but their thin armor made them vulnerable to even ATR. Prior to the German
invasion of Russia, BT were used in the Spanish Civil War (about 50 were sent, 1937-1938), Manchuria (1938-39), and the Russo- Finnish War (1939-40). Almost 5,000 BT were built, up to and including the BT-5 series.

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: The Russian BT-5 tank was a welcome addition to the Republican arsenal, though the first tanks to arrive were often allotted to exclusively Russian or mixed Russo-Spanish crews while the T-26Bs were given over to the Spaniards. Its roomy interior, quick speed, and dual tracked/wheeled propulsion system were welcomed by its crews and made it more popular than the T-26B. However, like its predecessor, the BT-5 was often utilized in poorly planned attacks, resulting in a high attrition. Almost all the first BT-5s were lost at Fuentes del Ebro and later replacements were squandered just as recklessly at Teruel. Like the T-26, the BT-5's supplied to the Spanish were probably equipped with radios though the Spanish crews seemed to have removed these, preferring signal flags. A few BT-5's were captured by the Nationalists and were used by them in formations with captured T-26Bs. The BT-5 had 3 crewmen. The Spanish designation for this tank was Carro Medio Rapido BT-5.

#38 - BA-20

This was a modernization of the older BA-27 and BA-27M armored cars. It consisted of an armored body topped by a MG turret, all on a modified 4×2 Ford Model A chassis with an updated Model A engine. It was used for security and reconnaissance missions. BA = Bronieavtomobil (armored automobile). Approximately 4,800 armored cars (of all types) were in Soviet service in June 1941.

#39 - BA-6

The BA-6 (aka BA-10 in the West) utilized the 6×4 chassis of the GAZAAA truck, which was itself a modification of the 1930 Ford Model AA truck. It mounted the turret of the T-26 Model 1933 tank. About 100 Soviet 6×4 armored cars fought in Spain (1936-38); these types also saw combat as standard recon vehicles in all subsequent Soviet military actions through 1943. The game piece also represents the later (1938) BA-10 (aka BA-32), which carried the turret of an experimental light tank but is equivalent in game terms.

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: The first use of this Russian armoured car was in the Northern Campaigns where Navarese Requetes fighting their way into Bilbao, encountered defending Basques using this vehicle and other Soviet equipment which had been sent to try and save the city. After the fighting, the Nationalist took the BA-6 into its own arsenal. This vehicle utilized a crew of 4. Spanish designation was Autoblindado BA-6.

#40 - BA-64B

This was a light armored car based on the GAZ 4×4 automobile. It was used as a recon vehicle by commanders and staff officers and as a liaison vehicle in recon units. One source states that about 3,500 were built during the war.

#40.1 - Russo-Balt Armoured Car

In 1914, the Russian Ministry of War ordered the creation of a reconnaissance and support company equipped with MG-armed light armored vehicles. The chassis of the Russo-Balt 24/40 limousine was selected as the basis for this vehicle. Thin armor plate was riveted on at the Izhorsky Works in St. Petersburg to form the body, and three Maxim 7.62mm Model 1910 machineguns—two on fixed mounts, front and rear, and a third that could be relocated between the port and starboard
sides — served as the vehicle’s armament. A crew of five accessed the interior via side and rear doors as well as via a two-piece lid on the roof of the vehicle. These vehicles, which proved to be underpowered and underarmored, equipped the 1st Automobile Machinegun Company.

#40.2 - Mannesmann-Mulag Armored Truck

In late 1914, a number of Mannesmann-Mulag trucks were armed and armored for employment against machinegun nests and armored vehicles. Various calibers of surplus naval weapons, including 37mm and 47mm guns, were installed in the cargo area, in addition to two forward-firing Maxim 7.62mm Model 1910 machineguns. The crew consisted of 6-7 men. The vehicles served in the 1st Automobile Machinegun Company and first went into battle on 21 November 1914 at Pabianice.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 29, 2024

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied Minors Armoury - Vehicles

Poland

For the sake of brevity, the following Polish acronyms are used herein:

BCL (batalion czołgów lekkich): light tank battalion
BK (Brygada kawalerii): cavalry brigade
BKM(Brigada kawalerii Mechanizowanej): mechanized cavalry brigade
DPty (Dywizja Piechoty): infantry division
DPny (dywizjon pancerny): armored troop
GO (Grupa Operacjna): operational group
KCL (Kompanja czołgów lekkich): light tank company
SK (samodzielna kompanja czołgów rozpoznawczych): independent scout tank company
WBP-M (Warszawska Brygada Pancerno-Motorowa): Warsaw Mechanized Brigade

#5 - Peugeot 1918(f)

In 1920, Poland purchased twenty Peugeot armored cars from France. Only a handful still existed in 1939, and these were in the hands of the Katowicz Police Forces. At the beginning of September 1939, these armored cars were integrated into the “Freikorps” group of the National Defense, renowned for having defeated the Germans near the mines of Michalkowic.

#9 - Polski-Fiat 621L SPAA

In 1936 the Polish Army decided to remount twelve of the wz.18/24 AA guns onto the more modern Polski-Fiat 621L chassis. These twelve vehicles served in the 1st Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment in Warsaw.

#13 - Horse-Drawn "Taczanka"

A horsedrawn version of the 302T “Taczanka” was developed for use within cavalry units. Each infantry division had 132 wz.30 MG while the four Regiment Cavalry Brigades had 95. Most cavalry MG were mounted on horse-drawn Taczankas. The older wz.28 version was designed for the HMG Maxim Model 08 fitted with a shwarlose sledge mount. These were gradually replaced by the wz.37 which was hinged in the center to provide better turning and designed for the wz.30 MG (an unlicensed copy of the Browning water-cooled .30 caliber MG). The game piece represents both versions.

Republican Spain

#7 - Trubia 36

This small tank represents one of the few domestic ventures into armoured production, mostly out of necessity since the Basque front, isolated by the Nationalists from the rest of Spain, received little of the material support coming out of the Soviet Union. This small tank had a mass of 4.5 metric tons and mounted armour varying in thickness from 6-10mm. Armament varied, probably being small automatic weapons which could be fired out of the four radiating ports on the turret which gave it 360 degrees of coverage. The engine was air-cooled with armoured vents at the rear of the vehicle and was prone to mechanical breakdown. The debut of this tank in a military parade was not auspicious. As soon as they saw it, the people called it "the toy tank" (tanque de juguete) and just as these tanks rolled past the Basque President, a number of them stalled and quit and had to be pushed in review with the help of soldiers and civilians lest they block the parade's progress. Only a few of these tanks saw limited combat action in the defense of the Basque provinces and Asturias but they seem to have had an unremarkable combat record. The exact number of these tanks constructed is unknown, but when Nationalist troops captured Bilbao where the tank was manufactured, they found a large quantity of these vehicles that had just been constructed or repaired and which had not yet been sent to the fighting. In spit of its small size, this vehicle had a crew of four. The Spanish designation for this tank was Carro Ligero Euzkadi.

#10 - FA-I

This Russian light scout car saw initial use in the Malaga campaign where a number of destroyed FA-Is were observed by the Italians and Nationalists. Speedy, yet lightly armed, this vehicle was intended for recon use and could offer little infantry support. The FA-1 had a crew of 2. Spanish designation for this car was Autoametralladora Ligera FA-I.

#12 - Bilbao 32

Mounting a Hotchkiss Machine Gun, these 4.8 ton vehicles were designed for crowd control and intimidation by the paramilitary police before the war. They were utilized in the early fighting for the cities, such as Madrid and Barcelona, and found no prominent use thereafter, either being returned to security duty or lost as a prize amongst various militias. They could travel up to 45km/h or 40km/h in reverse, carried one 37mm gun and one machine gun and had armour of up to 12mm thickness. Spanish designation for this car is Auto Blindado de la Policia.

Other
For vehicles in common use in more than one nationality

#32 - FT-17M & FT-17C

Poland acquired 120 FT-17s along with the production license from France in 1919. Of these, 42 were armed with a 37mm gun. The Poles then started to build their own upgraded version of the FT-17 at the CWS works of Warsaw. 174 were produced before 1936. In 1939 the Polish Army still had 102 operating versions of the FT-17 in service. About half of these were used by armored train units in a scouting role, with the remainder being used in three independent companies, the 111th, 112th, and the 113th KCL. Each KCL consisted of 15 FT-17s. These companies saw action around the fortress of Brzesc in the third week of the Polish Campaign.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 29, 2024

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Russian Armoury - Ordnance

#11 - 37mm PP obr. 15R

This diminutive support piece entered service with Imperial Russian Army in 1915 and in 1941 was still in limited use, probably with second-line units.

#13 - 76.2mm obr. 00/02P

This gun had originally been designed at the turn of the century and had seen action with the Imperial Russian Army during WWI. Subsequently, it became the mainstay of the new Red Army’s artillery arsenal, but by 1941 was only in limited use, probably with second-line units. Other armies also using this gun in 1941 were Rumania and Finland.

#14 - 76.2mm obr. 02/30

An updated model of the original 00/02P gun. The modification actually resulted in two “new” guns with different barrel lengths; the game piece represents the shorter-barreled version. It was in widespread use in 1941 and the Germans captured many, which they subsequently used throughout Europe.

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: #9 - The 76.2mm gun (169 pieces in the Loyalist Army, provided by the Soviet Union) was used for the artillery batteries of the mixed brigades, together with other Spanish or French guns. It was used on all fronts, from the defence of Madrid to the fall of Catalonia and including the Northern Front.

#19 - 122mm G obr. 10/30

This gun was originally the French Schneider 10S, imported in large numbers by Imperial Russia prior to the First World War. In 1930 they were modernized and were then known as the 122-10/30. Many were captured and used by the Germans, and the Finns also acquired some.

#22 - 152mm G obr. 38

A very good heavy howitzer with a designed anti-tank capability. It was also referred to as the M-10, and was used by rifle corps, artillery divisions, and independent artillery brigades, with four constituting a battery and twelve a battalion. The M-10T version was mounted in the KV-2 heavy tank.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 29, 2024

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Italian Armoury - Ordnance

Italian ordnance used a “#/#” system of nomenclature, with the first number giving the caliber size in mm and the second the barrel length in calibers. If additional identification was needed, the model year was added as a suffix.

#1 - Mortaio da 45 "Brixia"

A Brixia in its deployed position

This weapon, the standard “assault and support” mortar of the Italian Army, was accepted for service in 1935 and first saw action in Italian East Africa that same year. Its design embodied a number of unusual—and overly complex—
features. Instead of being fired by simply dropping a round down the muzzle, a lever arm was pulled to open the top of the breech, and the projectile (a standard grenade with a finned attachment at the rear) was hand-loaded through the opening; the lever was then pushed to insert a firing cartridge (from a ten-round magazine) and close the breech. Firing was accomplished by squeezing a trigger. Range could be varied by the normal method of setting elevation, and also by an adjustable gas port which vented a portion of the propellant gas. In action, the firer normally lay prone, with his chest on a padded frame cushion attached to the mortar’s rear leg. For transport, the legs folded and the entire weapon was worn like a backpack, with the cushion easing the load on the bearer’s back.

The “Brixia” (its designer’s name) was normally used in mortar squads of three weapons each. Three such squads formed a platoon, two of which were authorized in the SW company (compagnia armi di accompagnamento) of an infantry battalion. The battalion often assigned one or two of these squads to each of its rifle companies. In an Alpini battalion, each company usually contained an inherent Brixia squad instead. Bersaglieri, cavalry, and Libyan units were not normally authorized 45mm mortars. Some divisional 81mm mortar battalions contained a company of three Brixia platoons in lieu of one 81mm company until such time as the latter could be provided. Early in the war the Italians also received a number of ex-French 60mm mortars.

Frontline use of the Brixia declined as the war progressed, especially in North Africa where by 1942 it was no longer even authorized in first-line divisions. However, in late 1943 when the first Allied Italian units were being formed, each battalion was authorized 18 Brixias. Large numbers of Brixias and other types of Italian SW were used by partisans in the Balkans.

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: #16 - The most important Italian contribution to the Nationalist's light artillery was the 45mm "Brixia" mortar, belonging to the Italian Regular Army. This mortar was used by the CTV and the Nationalist Army received more than 1000 of these mortars.

#2 - Mortaio da 81/14

First used in Ethiopia in 1936, the 81/14 was a close copy of the French Brandt 81mm mortar. It fired both light (7-lb) and heavy (15-lb) bombs and had the longest range of any medium mortar used during the war. Its ammunition was interchangeable with that of U.S. and French 81mm mortars, and it could also fire German 81mm rounds to just over 2,000m. Blackshirt legions and the infantry regiments in normal, motorized, and “truckable” (autotrasportabile) infantry divisions were usually authorized one company of 81/14s each. However, 1942 North Africa Type (Tipo AS) infantry regiments, as well as Alpini regiments, were authorized a company in each battalion instead. Cavalry, Libyan, parachute, and Bersaglieri regiments normally contained no 81/14s (though in North Africa some of the latter actually did at one time or another). Both infantry and autotrasportabile divisions—except those designated Tipo AS—were also authorized a divisional mortar battalion of three companies. The “Pasubio” and “Torino” autotrasportabile divisions each had two such battalions in Russia. An 81mm mortar company comprised three platoons of two (sometimes three, especially later in North Africa) mortars each. A number of Polish pre-war M28 81mm mortars were also supplied to the Italians.

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: #17 - The 81 mm mortar was used throughout the war by the CTV, the Nationalist Regular Army and the Flechas units. Despite being designed in 1935, it was not effective enough to make it as widespread as the "Brixia" 45mm mortar.

#3 - Fucile-cc S

An example without its wheeled carriage.

Like several other nations, Italy adopted a Swiss 20mm ATR—in this case, the s18-1000 (and the very similar s18-1100) which in Italian service was designated the Fucile-controcarro S (anti-tank rifle Solothurn). It was capable of single-shot and semi-automatic fire (or full-auto in the 1100 version) from either a small two-wheeled carriage or an attached bipod. It was first issued in 1940, two per battalion, to troops in North Africa (especially Bersaglieri and Libyan units). Later, as its availability increased, its employment became more widespread and as many as six per battalion were authorized. Fucile- cc S were often manned by the ex-crews of 45mm mortars being taken out of frontline service. Another ATR used by the Italians was the Polish Marosczek wz 35. The Germans captured about 2,000 of these in September 1939, and during the winter of 1941-42 they turned over the bulk of them to the Italian forces in Russia.

#6 - Cannone da 65/17

This was an Italian-made mountain gun dating from 1913. Alpini units used it in WW1, but by 1940 it had been relegated mainly to infantry support. In mid-1940 there were 700 in service, including 146 in Libya and 312 in Italian East Africa. Blackshirt legions, and the infantry regiments in both normal and “truckable” (autotrasportabile) infantry divisions, were each authorized one battery of four 65/17 (though some used 47/32 instead; see Note 5 above). In a few rare cases—mostly in Italian East Africa—65/17 were employed as divisional artillery. (They had also been used thusly by the Nationalists during the Spanish Civil War.)

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: #23 - This was a relatively antiquated gun. It was expected to be replaced by newer guns in the Italian Army in 1940, so large quantities of this gun were sent to Spain despite having been used in Libya and Ethiopia. This was the most common Italian gun in Spain, with approximately 250 pieces.

#7 - Cannone da 70/15

This ancient gun, which lacked any type of recoil mechanism, was first produced in 1902 as a mountain artillery piece for Alpini units. It was later superseded by the 65/17 and passed to the infantry. Its only significant use in combat during WW2 occurred in Italian East Africa, where 92 were present in July 1940. It was probably employed at the regimental level, like the 65/17.

#8 - Obice da 75/13

The Skoda 7.5cm vz 15 was one of the most successful mountain howitzers ever produced. Many were taken over by the Italians after WW1 and, designated the 75/13, were issued to Alpini units to replace their 65/17. In mid-1940 the army had 1,187 75/13 in service, including 32 in Italian East Africa. An Alpini regiment, whose structure allowed it to operate independently whenever necessary, often had a 75/13 battalion (gruppo) directly attached, one battery (four guns) of which could in turn be assigned to each of the regiment’s battalions. Each of the three Alpini divisions sent to Russia in 1942 contained two 75/13 battalions in its artillery regiment. 75/13 were occasionally used as divisional artillery by other types of divisions as well.

#9 - Cannone da 75/27

This was the standard light field piece in the artillery regiment of most Italian divisions. The game piece actually represents four different pre- WW1 guns that are equivalent in game terms and historical role: the 75/27 m06, m11 and m12, and the 77/28. The m06 was a license-built Krupp product, 51 of which were later modified by the Italians, becoming the m12. The m11 was an import from France, notable for being the first service artillery piece in the world to have split trails. The 77/28 was a Skoda-built combination field/mountain gun; among other uses, it was issued to Italy’s two Libyan divisions. In mid-1940 there were 3,091 75/27 in army service (including 499 in Libya and 24 in Italian East Africa), plus 245 77/28. A battery comprised four guns. During the Spanish Civil War, the 75/27 was employed by some Nationalist units as divisional artillery.

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: #24 - These guns arrived in Spain in large quantities for the CTV between December 1936 and January 1937. The first 36 guns were used to create the IV, VII, and X groups, each of them with 3 batteries of 4 guns each. One of these batteries was used during the battle of Malaga.

#13 - Cannone da 105/28

This was a license-built version of the French 105mm mle 1913 (also known as the L 13 S). The Italians used it as corps artillery, though it was also employed at divisional level in place of the 100/17. The game piece also represents the 105/32, a modified version of the old Skoda 10.4cm vz 15; it too was used at corps level. In mid-1940 there were 956 105/28 and 227 105/32 in Italian service, including (respectively) 97 and 0 in Libya, and 59 and 4 in Italian East Africa. The 105/28 was also used as a corps-level gun in the Spanish Civil War.

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: #26 - This gun was the Schneider 105mm (1913) built in Italy by Ansaldo under license. According to General Faldella, the 24 guns that arrived at Cadiz and destined for the CTV were used to create four groups of two three-gun batteries per group. Two of these groups may have fought during the battle of Malaga, and all four participated in the battle of Guadalajara.

#17 - Cannone-mitragliera da 20/65

This was the standard Italian light AA gun, which the Italians also viewed as a heavy machine gun (mitragliera) and light AT gun. Adopted in 1935, it was exported to China in the late 1930s, and about 60 were used in the Spanish Civil War.
By mid-1940 there were 1,088 in army service, including 209 in Libya and 24 in Italian East Africa; by September 1942 its total number had increased to 2,788 (including 326 on static mounts). An artillery regiment was normally authorized one battery of 20/65 if in an infantry division, or two batteries in most other types of divisions. By mid-1941 in North Africa, at least some motorized infantry and Bersaglieri regiments contained a 20mm battery as well (or instead). All divisions sent to Russia contained two 20/65 batteries—except for the “Vicenza” occupation division, which had none. A squadron of eight 20/65 (two per platoon) was authorized in the RECo (Raggruppamento Esplorante Corazzato; armored recon task force) of armored and motorized divisions. The 1942 armored division was authorized one battery each in its tank and Bersaglieri regiments, and two more (plus an additional section) in its artillery
regiment. After 1943 the Germans kept the 20/65 in production for their own use. A 20/65 battery comprised four two-gun sections.

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: #28 - When the CTV was constituted, the 1st and 2nd batteries equipped with 20mm Breda guns landed at Cadiz on the 1st January of 1937, and the 3rd and 4th batteries did likewise on the 21st January of 1937. The first three batteries, and all four batteries, were used during the battles of Malaga and Guadalajara, respectively. Apparently, about 80 of these guns arrived in Spain.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 29, 2024

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
German Armoury - Ordnance

#1 - 5cm leGrW 36

The standard German light mortar was issued on the scale of three per rifle company; these were often distributed individually to the company’s platoons. It was rather complex for such a small weapon and, being little more than a glorified grenade launcher (like all such small caliber mortars) with insufficient range and punch, it was mostly relegated to second-line and reserve units after 1942. Its nickname was the Bulettenschmeister (meatball thrower).

#30 - 8.8cm FlaK 18 o. 36

The “88”, probably the most famous gun of WW2, was designed by a team of Krupp engineers working clandestinely in Sweden. It was an excellent design and quickly became the mainstay of the Luftwaffe heavy AA defenses. The differences between the FlaK 18 and 36 were minor; many of their parts were interchangeable. During the Spanish Civil War its usefulness against ground targets was noted, and appropriate ammunition was developed for this role. The 88’s lasting fame (or notoriety) came with its use in North Africa, where it easily destroyed the previously invulnerable Matildas at over 2000m. It came to be so feared in the desert that British crewmen were said to sometimes abandon their tank even if an 88’s first shot missed them for they knew it rarely missed with a second. Nor did its reputation ever diminish. One reason for this was that at the end of the war an 88 could still frontally penetrate any U.S. or British tank, save perhaps the Sherman Jumbo. Another reason was that so many 88s were built; for instance, in August 1944 the Luftwaffe alone had 10,704 in service—and this number does not include those used in Army FlaK battalions. These facts alone make it easy to understand why they made such a powerful impression on those who had to face them. An 88 platoon consisted of four guns, usually towed by SdKfz 7.

Critical Hit Guerra Civil: #31 - It seems that the 1st battery equipped with these guns arrived in Spain in September 1936 and was used to defend the air base at Tabalada (Seville) until the creation of the Condor Legion. Eight of these pieces were given to Nationalist Army units and four were added tot he Nationalist battleship "Espana". Apparently, about 80 of these guns were sent to Spain.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 30, 2024

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
US Armoury - Ordnance

#9 - T32 37mm Manpack Gun

The canister-firing 37mm AT gun was highly valued in the jungle fighting common in the PTO but was difficult to manhandle forward in such terrain. Therefore in late 1943 work began on a light gun that could be dismantled and backpacked
by its crew or by mule. When assembled, the barrel and recoil mechanism were mounted on a modified .50-cal MG tripod, and the gun’s weight was 264-lbs. It fired the same HE ammo as the 37mm AT gun as well as a specially developed canister round. 155 were sent to the PTO in 1944 (possibly at the same time as the T25 155mm MTr), and about 100 others were used in Italy in 1945.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Japanese Armoury - Ordnance

#1 - Type 89 Heavy Grenade Launcher

The Type 89 “knee mortar” was developed to provide the infantry with an indirect-fire capability at ranges out to 600m (the minimum range of the Year-11 Type 70mm mortar). Adopted in 1929, it replaced the older and much shorter-ranged Year-10 Type light grenade launcher. The Type 89 was unusual in having a rifled barrel and being trigger-fired, and unique in that range alteration was accomplished by turning a knob to move the firing pin up or down inside the barrel. Its projectiles included standard infantry HE and WP grenades (to which a finned propellant container would first be attached), and unfinned smoke and HE shells. Since a soldier could carry the dismantled mortar strapped to his leg, the Japanese sometimes referred to it as the “leg mortar.” However, a translation of this term as “knee mortar” led some Allied troops to believe it was meant to be fired with its curved baseplate resting on one’s thigh—a notion that
led to a number of shattered femurs. Initially, two Type 89 mortars were authorized per rifle platoon; about 1940 this allotment was increased to three (or in some cases four). One was also authorized in the infantry battalion headquarters. The Type 89 was used by both IJA and SNLF troops.

#9 - Year-11 Type Flat-Trajectory Infantry Gun

This diminutive gun was a copy of the French 37mm mle 1916. After WW1 the Japanese modified it to increase its portability and rate of fire, and adopted it in 1922. In service it complemented the Year-11 Type 70mm mortar by providing direct-fire support for the infantry battalion, each of which was authorized two Year-11 Type 37mm guns in its infantry-gun company. It could be dismantled for man- or animal-packing, or could be carried fully assembled by four men using special poles which attached to its tripod. The Type 92 70mm infantry gun and Type 94 rapid-fire gun gradually relegated it to second-line and garrison use, but it remained in production until at least 1937.

#10 - Type 92 Infantry Gun

Commonly referred to as the “battalion gun” (daitaiho), the Type 92 was developed to replace the Year-11 Type 70mm mortar and Year-11 Type flat-trajectory infantry gun with a single weapon capable of both direct and indirect fire. Though much heavier than the other two guns, it was still extremely light for its caliber and could be rapidly manhandled from one position to another. In addition, it could be disassembled and animal-packed, or even man-packed if
necessary. Its short range was not seen as a detriment, for it was to be used right up with the forward troops. Allied intelligence spoke of its unreliability and unpopularity, but its users do not seem to have shared these opinions. Each infantry battalion was authorized a platoon of two Type 92 in its infantry-gun company; sometimes two platoons were allotted, especially in independent infantry battalions. As originally organized, a SNLF generally had one or two Type 92 platoons; however, by 1943 they were often replaced by coast-defense/AA artillery. After WW2 the Type 92 saw further action in the Chinese civil war, and in the Korean, Indo- China, and Vietnam conflicts.

#11 - Year-41 Type Mountain Gun

This was originally the Krupp Mod. 1908 mountain gun, which the Japanese modified to reduce weight and proceeded to licensebuild. It equipped mountain (i.e., pack) artillery units initially, but in 1936 was turned over to the infantry who authorized a company of four in each infantry regiment for direct-fire support (sometimes two companies were allotted). Appropriately, it came to be known simply as the “regimental gun” (rentaiho). As originally organized, a SNLF generally had one or two regimental gun platoons (each with two guns); however, by 1943 they were often replaced by coast-defense/AA artillery. Despite its design age, the Year-41 Type remained in production and was frequently encountered by the Allies. The game piece also represents the Type 94 Mountain Gun which, in addition to replacing the Year-41 Type in pack artillery units (which themselves were commonly used as divisional artillery), was issued to certain IMB and IMR.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 10, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Chinese Armoury - Vehicles

During the early 1930s China possessed not a single factory capable of producing a tank, truck, or airplane. Consequently, all AFV and transport vehicles were imported, leaving Chinese forces not only with a myriad of different makes and models but also highly dependent on a steady flow of parts and ammunition from the various manufacturers thousands of miles away. The first tanks to arrive in China were Renault FT-17s, 36 of which were purchased by the commander of the Manchurian Army in 1924. They were used in fighting between several of the northern warlords; later the survivors became the first tanks in the Nationalist armory, being used in Manchuria against the Japanese in 1931. It appears that when the 1937-45 War of Resistance against Japan broke out in July 1937, the Nationalists fielded three armored battalions comprising some 96 “tanks” (probably inclusive of tankettes and armored MG carriers). However, by 1938, after the fall of Shanghai and Nanjing (Nanking), more than half of them had been lost. Subsequent purchases from the Soviet Union and Italy brought the total up to about 200 by early 1941. From that time the U.S., and to a lesser degree, Britain and the Commonwealth, took over as the main suppliers of war materiel to China.

Chinese ordnance nomenclature was similar to the Japanese in its use of a “Type #” dating system. However, the Chinese based theirs on the year 1911, the founding year of the Republic. Thus the Type 22 armored car dated from 1933 (22 + 11 = 33), while the Type 31 mortar was accepted in 1942. Unfortunately, most of the Chinese designations for their various types of equipment are unavailable in Western sources.

One interesting historical note, not directly relevant to Chinese vehicles but nonetheless worth mentioning, is the influence of German and Soviet advisors on the Nationalist military in the 1930s. During that decade, such famous figures as von Seeckt and von Falkenhausen—and later, Zhukov and Chuikov—were top military advisors to Chiang Kai-shek. The German influence, being both of longer duration and politically more akin to the beliefs of the Generalissimo, was by far the greater.

#10 - Type 22

Both warlords and Nationalist forces converted foreign trucks into armored cars at various times. Unfortunately, very little is known about these vehicles—not even their names in most cases—and few photographs of them exist. This game piece is therefore a generic representation of such indigenously produced AFV, based on one historical type.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Chinese Armoury - Ordnance

#4 - Stokes 3-in., 8cm GrW 34, & 82mm BM obr. 37

The Stokes 3-in. mortar was produced in China from 1925, being built initially in the Manchurian arsenal at Mukden, and was still being manufactured at other arsenals in 1937. The Nationalist government also imported, and eventually produced its own versions of, standard German and Soviet medium mortars. Chinese arsenals produced ammunition for all these types as well. Since most Chinese divisions lacked organic field guns and howitzers, mortars were usually their sole source of artillery support. A Nationalist infantry regiment generally contained a company of 6-8 medium mortars, giving the division an average of 18-32 such weapons (depending on its structure). One source states that 5,242 82mm mortars were built in China between early 1941 and mid 1945. In mid 1942 some 8,000 trench mortars of all sizes were in service. Aside from its different maximum range, the 82mm piece (along with its initial availability Date) also represents the French 81mm mle 27/31 and the Italian Mortaio da 81/14, small numbers of which were in Nationalist service.

#8 - 7.5cm Krupp M08 & Obice da 75/13

The M1908 75mm mountain gun was one of several old Krupp artillery pieces used by the Nationalists, who even produced their own version of this particular model (one source states that in the 1930s up to 54 were built in Chinese arsenals). The game piece also represents other similar pre- WW1 guns acquired in fair numbers, such as the 76mm 00/02 P and the 75/27. China also purchased some 75/13 mountain guns (Italian Ordnance Note 8); this piece is equivalent
in game terms to the Krupp 7.7cm C 96 nA employed by the Nationalists, and may also be used to represent the Bofors M34 mountain gun, “a batch” of which was obtained by the Nationalists. Chinese forces employed small numbers of captured Japanese mountain artillery as well. In mid 1942 the Nationalists possessed about 1,000 75mm guns and howitzers (probably inclusive of 76-77mm types as well).

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 17, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
This page will eventually get image heavy. Don't worry, posts will be shuffled about to follow their alphabetical status in the Armoury post, as well as to force them to different pages to lighten the loading.

Keep in mind that all the information is derived strictly from the rulebook. Maybe in the future, if it became a popular enough idea, I could add to it.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I do love the obscure inter-war or even WW1 armored cars. Surprised more of the smaller nations in WW2 didn't make more use out of them. I forget if it's been asked before, or has been mentioned, does the game have Armored Trains at all? I know they were useful in the Russian Civil War and Soviet-Polish War. I think a few made appearances early in WW2 but it was too easy to just destroy the rails for them to be very useful.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Japanese Armoury - Vehicles

After WW1 the Imperial Japanese Army purchased a variety of French and British tanks for use and evaluation, and in 1925 initiated its own tank development program. By 1933 several domestic designs were in or nearing production, and the first four Japanese tank regiments were formed that same year. The layout and many of the components of these early Japanese tanks bore the influence of European (especially British) designs, but as they gained experience the Japanese evolved their own distinctive style of AFV. Generally, Japanese tanks were characterized by their small size, light weight, good cross-country speed, and small-caliber armament with relatively poor anti-tank capability. Size and weight were kept down by both a low priority on materials and the consideration that all AFV going abroad would have to be transported on ships. Engines were of sufficient size and horsepower in most cases, and in 1933 the Japanese pioneered the use of air-cooled diesel powerplants in military vehicles. Suspensions were simple but effective. However, interiors were usually cramped and turret layouts were poor. Radios were the exception until late in the war. Crew survivability was reduced by (among other things) the extensive use of riveted/bolted armor plates, despite the Japanese having developed one of the finest methods in the world for welding armor.

Tactically, the use of tanks by the Japanese was unimaginative. With the Army dominated by its ultraconservative Infantry arm and lulled into complacency by the fighting in China (where its opponents had few effective AT weapons), tanks were simply attached to infantry units for fire support and the possibilities of armored manoeuvre en masse were left largely unexplored. The misleading “lessons” of combat in China also blinded the Army to the gun-vs-armor race that occurred in the West after 1940, thus leaving Japanese tanks thinly armored and undergunned compared to the Allied tanks they encountered. (Indeed, by 1945 the Japanese often felt it necessary to dig in their tanks for use as mere armored pillboxes.) No tank divisions were formed until mid 1942, and none were used as complete formations in battle until 1944. The tank regiment (which was actually of battalion size, with 4-5 companies) remained the standard combat unit, and piecemeal assaults of platoon or company strength (often conducted in the form of nighttime banzai charges) were the norm for tank attacks.

The low priority given to AFV manufacture combined with subsequent U.S. bombing raids kept AFV production low throughout the war. Around 3,000 tanks were built from 1931 through 1940 and approximately another 3,500 (including SP guns) in 1941-45, with about half produced by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. Peak output was achieved in 1941-42 when some 2,200-2,500 were built. Several types of bridging, engineer, command, etc. variants were developed but few were used in combat. About 1,700 AFV remained at the end of the war to be surrendered to the Allies. (And of the equipment seized by the Russians in Manchuria, most was passed on to the Chinese Communists.)

There were two main styles of nomenclature for Japanese ordnance equipment. An item accepted for service prior to 1926 had a model number corresponding to the year of the emperor’s reign in which it was adopted; e.g., a gun’s being designated a “Year-38 Type” meant that it had been adopted in the 38th year of the then-current emperor’s reign. From 1926 the model number was based on the year of adoption expressed in relation to 660 BC (the beginning of the first Japanese emperor’s reign); thus the designation “Type 97” indicated that the item had been adopted in the Japanese year 2597 (1937 according to the Western calendar), while “Type 1” meant adoption in 2601 (1941). For vehicles, the type designation was usually completed with an abbreviation using two symbols from the Katakana phonetic alphabet; however, beyond “KE” standing for “Light” and “CHI” for “Medium,” they were assigned with little rhyme or reason and most are not translatable into English.

[For the sake of brevity, the following abbreviations are used herein: IJA Imperial Japanese Army; IJN Imperial Japanese Navy; SNLF Special Naval Landing Force. Also note that, as used herein, the name “China” includes Manchuria (Manchukuo), where Japanese and Russians fought each other in 7-8/38, 5-9/39, and 8/45.]

#1 - Types 92A & 92B Combat Cars

In the late 1920s the Japanese studied the use of armored cars by the cavalry; however, due to the paucity of roads on the Asian mainland they decided to produce a fully-tracked vehicle instead. This resulted in the Type 92 Combat Car, one of the earliest AFV of welded construction and probably the very first to use an air-cooled engine. Its standard BMG was a 13.2mm piece with special optics enabling it to engage low-flying aircraft; however, a regular tank LMG was often installed in its place, due perhaps to an insufficient supply of the larger-caliber weapon. During production the suspension of the Type 92 was altered, but its tendency to shed tracks was never fully rectified. Besides equipping the armored car company of certain cavalry brigades, the Type 92 served as a recon vehicle in some infantry divisions and was issued to a few tank units. It apparently saw action only in China. An amphibious version was built but never advanced beyond the prototype stage. The Type 92 was not produced in large numbers and apparently was withdrawn from service by 1941. Allied wartime intelligence erroneously called it the Type 93 (or M2593) Light Tank. “A” and
“B” in the piece names are our own designations, since the Japanese nomenclature did not distinguish between the different versions. “Combat Car” is actually a loose translation of Jusokosha, which literally means “Heavy Armored Car.” Alternatively, the Japanese sometimes referred to the Type 92 as a “Light Armored Vehicle” (Keisokosha), their equivalent of the term “Tankette.”

#2 - Type 94 Light Armored Vehicle

This tankette resulted from a requirement for a very small armored vehicle with good cross -country ability, to be used for the resupply of frontline troops and garrisons in hostile areas. To this end it was designed to tow a fully-tracked trailer, and for self defense it had a turreted MG on the rear of the superstructure. Those produced from 1936 had a revised suspension; U.S. intelligence called this later version the Type 94 (or M2594), having incorrectly labeled the original model the Type 92 (or M2592). Beginning in 1935, selected infantry divisions received a company of 6 (later 10) Type 94. Since these divisions normally had no other AFV under direct command, their tankettes came to be used mostly for reconnaissance and infantry support. Eventually a number of infantry regiments also acquired their own tankette companies (probably when the division’s tankette company was updated with Type 95 HA-GO light tanks). Tankettes were used as command/liaison vehicles as well. Type 94 were employed widely during the early part of the war, but most ended their days dug in as not particularly effective pillboxes. A tankette platoon normally comprised three such AFV.

#7 - Types 89A & 89B CHI-RO Medium Tanks

The Type 89, accepted for service in 1929 and built by Mitsubishi from 1931, was the first tank of Japanese design to be mass-produced. It was intended expressly for infantry support and first saw action during the 1932 “Shanghai Incident,” being used there by a SNLF unit. During production a wide variety of changes were made, including a revised front hull, redesigned turret, and (in 1936) the installation of an air-cooled diesel engine. With the new engine it was called the Type 89 OTSU (“B”), and the earlier, gasoline-powered version was then renamed the Type 89 KO (“A”). The 89B game piece represents the final model with all improvements. Allied wartime intelligence had several designations for the various models: M2589A, M2589B, Type 92, and Type 94 (M2594); however, the Japanese used none of these names. The Type 89 was employed mainly in China; however, the 7th Tank Regiment used them in the conquest of the Philippines and a small number reportedly participated in the overrunning of Malaya and Burma. Most Type 89 were withdrawn from service in/by 1943, but the 7th Independent Tank Company was still equipped with them in late 1944 when it fought against U.S. troops on Leyte. A platoon of Type 89 comprised three such AFV; a company, ten.

#22.103 - NC-27M & NC-27C Otsu Light Tank

This was the last attempt by the French to improve on the FT-17 design, also known as the Char NC1, which the Japanese began purchasing in 1930. The turret essentially remained the same, and the tank was equipped with either a 6.5mm MG or 37mm gun. The major improvements were in three areas. The hull armor was increased, a new engine was developed increasing speed, and a completely new track and suspension system was installed. Even with the improvements it was considered a failure and not used by the French Army. All were sold to Japan and Yugoslavia. The tank was too heavy and caused engine problems, but the Japanese made modifications to the engine, significantly improving its performance. In 1932 the 1st Special Tank Company used these during the Manchurian Incident and the 2nd Independent Tank Company during the First Shanghai Incident. Thereafter they were used in defensive positions as mobile pillboxes. These tanks were still in service until 1940, when most were likely relegated to a training role. The suspension system for the Type 89 tank was almost a direct copy from the NC-27.

#22.105 - Type 88 Light Armored Vehicle

Japan purchased six British tankettes in 1928, and at least six more commencing in 1930. The first six were later fitted with overhead covers and the later models were produced with overhead protection for the crew. The Japanese designated the British VCL Mk VI the Type 88, and also called it the Type Ka MG vehicle. At least six were used by the Special Naval Landing Forces during the First Shanghai Incident in 1932 and later in the Second Shanghai Incident in 1937. Afterwards the Type 88s were relegated to a training role and were subsequently sold to Thailand.

#22.114 - Type 2587 Armored Car (b)

The Japanese imported British Vickers Crossly M24 armored cars and designated them the Type 2587. This was an outstanding design at the time, affording armor protection, twin HMGs, and a road speed of 70 kilometers. The IJA used these during the Manchurian Incident in 1932 and the IJN in the First Shanghai Incident in 1932. Most likely both IJA and IJN forces used these in the Second Shanghai Incident in 1937.

#22.124 - Type 97 AA Truck

The Nissan 80 was the first mass- produced truck by Japan. Many of these were modified with a Type 92 7,7mm HMG, which had a dual antiaircraft and ground support role. This modification was not official, and was made locally by units with the trucks. The vehicle is designated Type 97 AA Truck for simplicity. They were first used during the Manchurian Incident in 1932 as part of the armored battle group.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 10, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

syzpid posted:

I do love the obscure inter-war or even WW1 armored cars. Surprised more of the smaller nations in WW2 didn't make more use out of them. I forget if it's been asked before, or has been mentioned, does the game have Armored Trains at all? I know they were useful in the Russian Civil War and Soviet-Polish War. I think a few made appearances early in WW2 but it was too easy to just destroy the rails for them to be very useful.

There are, to my knowledge, only vague mentions or abstractions of Armored Trains in the game. If I recall my rumour-mill hearing well, there is an upcoming module/third-part release that may include one, but I could very well be mistaken.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Axis Minor Armoury - Ordnance

Bulgarian

#40 - Bofors 75mm M36

The Bofors 75mm Model 1934 mountain howitzer was one of the Swedish company’s more successful products between the wars, being sold to a large number of countries including Germany, China, and Argentina. It was subsequently improved and sold to Bulgaria as the 75mm Model 1936. Developed from an earlier M28 L/20 piece, it could be broken down into a variety of loads for towing by mules or tractors. It could also be towed in one load by raising the box trail. Each Bulgarian artillery regiment had one battalion of mountain guns in three batteries of four guns each.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
LM-14: Luting Bridge - Part 1

Date: 29 May 1935

Briefing: The Red Army 4th Assault Regiment had completed its forced march and arrived at the west end of the bridge. After securing the west bank, they retired to a church to organize and have a quick meal. The bridge was a suspension type, 370 feet long, made of 13 iron chains covered with wooden planks. The KMT had pulled up most of the planks, the assault troops would have to pull themselves hand over hand along the chains above a whitewater river. The 2nd company would lead the attack, the 3rd company would follow behind, laying planks. The Regiment's machine guns and riflemen were placed on some high ground near the bridge to provide covering fire.

Twenty two men were selected to lead the attack; each carried a submachine gun or an automatic pistol, grenades, and a sword. As they began climbing onto the chains, the KMT poured kerosene onto the planks at their end and set fire to the bridgehouse. Regardless, the assault continued. KMT fire was ineffective and only four men were lost. When the assault team reached the far end and emerged firing submachine guns with their clothes on fire, the KMT withdrew. Within two hours the bridge and its town were secured. Later, a KMT officer said that their old rifles and decayed ammunition would fizzle, resulting in poor accuracy and firepower.

Victory Condition: The Red Army wins at game end if they Control buildings K2 and M2.

KMT Strategy

Remember the last time we saw the Luting (Luding) bridge? LFT's Bridge of Life scenario definitely has some harsh similarities to this one. Obviously, both scenarios are of the same action/battle, yet they are quite different. The KMT aren't hampered by a strange cloaking rule with random chits, yet are in arguably a stronger position. The Mortar only has about 2 viable spots, while the Red Army has more units than before, and a healthy supply of leaders, although the bridge crossing is slower and, arguably, far and away deadlier this time around... The strategy is simple. Defend the bridge, and shoot at anyone that attempts to cross. The KMT have a problem applying any firepower at long range, so I don't have many other targets worthy of expending ammo at.

Turns: 6

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Moist, with a Mild Breeze from the East at Start.

Well Built: All buildings are stone.

Supply Shortage: All KMT units suffer from Ammunition Shortage [Exc: Mortar]. Long range fire is quartered instead of halved.

Turn 1 - Red Army

The Red Army start with a trio of shots that break a squad hiding behind some hedges in an orchard, but the men in K5 (the bridgehouse) are safe from a particularly nasty attack including 3 machine guns and a 9-2 leader. Not able to effectively return fire, they take aim at the bridge-crossers, reducing a squad and pinning the others.

Turn 1 - KMT

With a good target to shoot at already, the bridgehouse group lets loose and break a squad. They are later eliminated for failure to rout. A snake eyes by Hypnobeard manages to break one of the bridgehouse group, but critically the 2nd squad resists the temptation.

Turn 2 - Red Army

The stone walls prove themselves after murderous fire is poured onto the bridgehouse, only for the conscripts inside to remain steadfast. The Red Army MMG breaks down while shooting, and return fire shortly thereafter causes a casualty reduction on the bridge go'ers.

We see the problems of rolling high at inopportune times vividly here. One access point, the squad unbroken, and more than a problem for the attacking forces.

Turn 2 - KMT

The -2 modifier for being on the bridge is punishing, especially as my conscripts continue to exceed performances. A 3fp down 2 shot rolled a 3, causing a KIA and break for the survivors, which can't break on the bridge and are forced to Casualty Reduce.

End of Game Turn 2

Turn 3 - Red Army

Another turn of opening fire on conscripts, moving up the bridge, and losing another half-dozen men to withering fire.

Turn 3 - KMT

Another turn, another half-squad claimed by the river.

Turn 4 - Red Army

The Red Army finally dials in their shots, and break three conscript squads as a result. [Note: We missed a note that the K6 bridge begins planked] The way forward will be open if the Reds can plank the last bridge hex.

Turn 4 - KMT

The Reds manage to plank the last bridge hex, but there's no shooting from the KMT side and nothing from the Reds achieves a result.

Turn 5 - Red Army

The Machine Guns on the hill overlooking the river have been harassing the KMT troops all game, and fire is shifted towards units closer to the objective(s). Elsewhere, shots are fired against the bridgehouse group to keep them DM'ed. A vast number of Reds start piling up for a deadly advance and CC, only to be shut down when my Mortar nails its first shot attempt and rolls a K/2 result, reducing a squad and pinning everyone. With only one turn left, it is impossible for the Reds to claim both required buildings. Not only would every move have to go Hypnobeard's way, as well as every attack, every advance (and ambush) and every CC, but I have the bottom turn so any losses could potentially be reclaimed. It was a good try, at the very least. Especially considering how lacklustre the machine guns had performed for the first few turns.

And that concludes the 2nd, and hopefully last, time we will ever see the Luting Bridge.

[For Historical Result, see Briefing]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
LM-15: Lazikou Pass - Part 1

Date: 17 September 1935

Briefing: After crossing the Dadu River at Luding, the Red Army faced three great challenges. The Snowy Mountains resulted in many losses as the lowland Chinese died of cold and altitude sickness. Beyond the mountains, the 1st Front Army of Mao Zedong met with the 4th Front Army of Zhang Guotao, the rank and file were delighted. The second challenge was the Grasslands, a deceptively beautiful marsh that would see men drown and starve to death. The third challenge was more sinister. Zhang's army was ten time the size of Mao's Army which was in danger of being absorbed. Worse, Mao and Zhang had different ideas for their next destination. In the end, Mao was able to steal away in the night with only 4,000 soldiers and head northeast. Zhang let him go and headed southwest toward his own goals. The only way through the mountains to the north was Lazikou Pass. Mao would send the 4th Assault Regiment ahead to capture the pass.

The pass had 1,000 foot tall cliffs on each side, and narrowed to just 12 feet wide. Worse, the KMT 14th Division had constructed blockhouses at the pass. The approach was through a bridge, three feet wide, made of two logs crossing a swift mountain stream. Across the bridge, the path had swinging bridges bolted to the cliff face. Initial night assaults against machine guns met with failure and heavy casualties. Around midnight a group of volunteer climbers was assembled. Using belts, puttees, and ropes to negotiate the cliffs, they could only carry grenades and cold steel as weapons. Their attack caused panic and the KMT troops were routed. The Red Army was able to continue north on their march.

Victory Condition: The KMT wins by having at least 1 unbroken MMC in at least 1 pillbox at game end.

KMT Strategy

This scenario... exists. The setup is limited, both for the Reds and the Blues, with a noticeable lack of good troops or good options on the KMT side of things. I have no good leaders, and it would seem that setting up in view of the Red Army's 9-2 leader and stacked MMGs is just opening yourself up to a world of hurt. Well, nothing ventured... I'm going to work on killing the DC group on my side of the mountain pass, and then redirect those troops wherever help is needed most. Meanwhile, the troops I have will need to have some good shots or else I will get overrun very quickly.

Turns: 6

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Moderate, with No Wind at Start.

Dawn's Early Light: All non CC/DC attacks must add a +1 due to the pre-dawn twilight.

Turn 1 - Red Army

With DCs a-plenty and machine guns hitting all their targets, the casual +1 from the pre-dawn twilight and concealment bonuses do little to prevent the Red Army's initial onslaught.

Turn 1 - KMT

My best leader (the only other one being the 6+1) breaks when fired at in the Defensive Fire Phase, and any attempt at reinforcing the southern flank is quickly stopped. This one is quickly looking like a Red Army victory.

On the plus side I killed a 9-1 and some saboteurs.

Turn 2 - Red Army

Turn two is here and that means I have my 2nd MMG crew break. I now have absolutely no support weapons, and the only people that can shoot get a pin and a break, though a far cry from any noticeable impact on the outcome.

And that's the end of the game... out of 10 starting squads, I have 4 remaining in Good Order, 3 of those being Conscripts. I have 1 Half-Squad in CC in a pillbox, essentially dead, and 3 squads and a crew broken. My only "good" leader is broken, and the ground I need to cover to retake either pillbox is easily seen by the pair of MMGs the Reds have.

I certainly didn't set up properly, but I struggle to see how the KMT are supposed to be competitive in this scenario when yet another Conscript-dominated force and no good leaders have to defend against MMGs and an opponent rolling vastly better than I was :v:

[For Historical Result, see Briefing]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
We, Hypnobeard and I, are coming up to a milestone, and we need some thread participation for the upcoming scenarios.

Namely, there is a scenario pack that, Le Franc Tireur #6 that features a more unique look at the Spanish Civil War, but comes with a specific set of rules. The question for thread watchers is:

Should we play LFT#6 from Start to Finish, a-la The Long March?

Yes
No

If Yes - Should Hypnobeard play as:

Nationalists (Legion, Regulares, Army, Requetes & Carlistas, Falange, and CTV); or
Republicans (International Brigades, Army, Milicias, Anarchists)

There's a few scenarios in between to play out, but I'd say a closing date of June 5th 8pm EST.

Also, if anyone ever wants to play a scenario or two, feel free to give me a shout.