Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I like how it says to never send passwords through Google forms on a Google form asking someone for a password.

Edit: Was referencing this

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

We don't need the money, because the money is enough to set us up forever, therefore we aren't going to refund anyone the money.

How do people read this poo poo and go "yes they should have my money." I can barely read and it sounds like they're straight up already bragging about stealing money they don't even really need but is [humblebrag] substantial.

Everyone's incredibly poor and desperate. The rest are the same but also really loving stupid/disabled.

E: has there been anything to show how many nonenglish speakers fall for these? Nuance in language and bots advertising in foreign could explain a lot. I dunno just toilet thoughts

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 8, 2022

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Rollin' down the street, hodlin' crypto
Slurpin' on mintin' juice, laid back
With my mind on my monkeys
And my monkeys on my mind.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 8, 2022

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
woke up quick at about noon just thought how i had to get some crypto soon gotta get drunk on monkey pics before my mother starts bitchin about my apes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
weed is the only crypto you need

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Barreft posted:

Everyone's incredibly poor and desperate. The rest are the same but also really loving stupid/disabled.

E: has there been anything to show how many nonenglish speakers fall for these? Nuance in language and bots advertising in foreign could explain a lot. I dunno just toilet thoughts

"No one in this world, so far as I know - and I have researched the records for years, and employed agents to help me - has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.“ - H.L. Mencken

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
https://www.voguebusiness.com/technology/gucci-takes-the-leap-will-accept-crypto-in-us-stores

This seems very, very bad and also I have no idea how they can seriously accept such volatile funds without phenomenal risk.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Watch out for “Crypto Muggers” apparently, according to this story

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ology_b-gdntech

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

weed is the only crypto you need

I tried to dump my life savings into this based on this post but it says the token is inactive?

https://www.coingecko.com/en/coins/weed

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

smellmycheese posted:

Watch out for “Crypto Muggers” apparently, according to this story

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ology_b-gdntech

lmao so the muggers in london now start every robbery with "oi guv you got any crypto? you sure? we'll be very upset if you're telling porky pies!"

gonna say that 3 out of 4 of those police reports are totally fake stories that the 'victims' made up

(oh god, who could have guessed that WeAreGoingToRugPull.eth was a scam? I lost 6900 quid, she's gonna kill me. but what if...)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

frytechnician posted:

https://www.voguebusiness.com/technology/gucci-takes-the-leap-will-accept-crypto-in-us-stores

This seems very, very bad and also I have no idea how they can seriously accept such volatile funds without phenomenal risk.

Plus back in the day someone would get a part time job, have their friend buy a $$$ gift card at their til, and then just discount it to $0 or whatever and then immediately quit or otherwise ghost the place. Now you don't even need a friend to play the part of a customer you can just empty folks' wallets to wherever you want after doing the main transaction.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

YOU GUYS DON'T GET IT!

Apes can slurp 3 x a day...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Send me your apes and I'll 10x your slurp returns.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'm down here at the slurp juice factory and its just one woman spitting into jars repeatedly and putting them back on the production line

Captain Charisma
Nov 10, 2021
okay but how many times can I Slurm™ an ape? i like to party and i like my apes to party

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slurps MacKenzie original character do not steal

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

okay but how many times can I Slurm™ an ape? i like to party and i like my apes to party

the LD50 for Slurms is like 25/hour

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

LifeSunDeath posted:

Apes can slurp 3 x a day...
really jarring to see this post right after looking through my spam folder

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

frytechnician posted:

Since their products are low quality veblen goods I imagine the margins are pretty high, and they are betting that if they can get more business from crypto bros it will offset the potential loss. Most likely they will quietly discontinue the experiment

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I'm pretty sure all of those companies that have "accepted crypto" have done nothing of the sort. They use payment providers that charge the customer to cash out their crypto and then pay the business in dollars (or whatever local currency).

And yeah, most of these experiments end with little fanfare. People dont buy crypto to spend it, that would be dumb

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Yeah, that list of accepted cryptos looks like BitPay? They certainly never touch a crypto. If anyone uses this, it'll be sanctioned individuals not wanting to risk their last working credit card.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

drk posted:

I'm pretty sure all of those companies that have "accepted crypto" have done nothing of the sort. They use payment providers that charge the customer to cash out their crypto and then pay the business in dollars (or whatever local currency).

Companies can't pay taxes or their shareholders in crypto either, so they won't use it.
And having the price vary so often, selling a product for $10 worth of butts to be worth only $9 then $11 then $8 etc, fucks up your planning.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
https://twitter.com/rugpullfinder/status/1523082874022469633

hmm... rug pull finder? Well, with a name like that they must surely be laff investors, not true believ-

quote:

Rug Pull Finder
@rugpullfinder
The NFT community's premier source of information
🕵️‍♂️ Investigating NFT Projects🕵️‍♂️
🤡 Exposing Scammers🤡
🚦 Legitimacy Audits🚦

Join Discord for more

lol

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
i' m the potato with the word "FART" scratched into it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wasn’t the tesla crypto payment hilariously one sided in a heads I win tails you lose way with regards to the exchange rates

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

IIRC it was that if you returned the car they could choose to pay you back the amount of BTC you paid or the dollar equivalent of the BTC you paid at the time, whichever is worth less

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh yeah, good thing their quality control was great at the time and no one would ever seek refunds

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Booyah- posted:

Since their products are low quality veblen goods I imagine the margins are pretty high, and they are betting that if they can get more business from crypto bros it will offset the potential loss. Most likely they will quietly discontinue the experiment

woulnd this require coinbros to not be incel level charisma/social blackholes? that are buying a thing for their female?

like remember the ape club party pics where it even the nice ladys they payed to attend the party/bar/club couldnt get those dweebs to party.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Gucci sells mens things too.

Guy who stole some apes I guess, menswear by Gucci 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Protocol7 posted:

Send me your apes and I'll 10x your slurp returns.
...zinc pills?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Hammerite posted:

https://twitter.com/rugpullfinder/status/1523082874022469633

hmm... rug pull finder? Well, with a name like that they must surely be laff investors, not true believ-

lol

why do I feel like the "legitimacy audits" they want to do are them hoping to convince people to let them inspect their wallets

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

drk posted:

That guy actually got like 6 apes stolen from him at least

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

drk posted:

I mean it costs alot so it got to be good.

Also my two cents on the article above about London muggers stealing phones for butts, this means coinerz have easy unlocks for their phones.

lol

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lol at the unironic "the real value was the friends we made along the way" in that screed

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Klyith posted:

gonna say that 3 out of 4 of those police reports are totally fake stories that the 'victims' made up

All of them were fake stories. The victims needed a police report to explain to their significant others why all the money they had spent on crypto was gone.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

You can send someone buttcoin and they can cash it out pretty quick, like same day, and the exchange will only take out a percent or two. That's all true I guess. The thing the buttcoin nerds don't tell you is that it would be a taxable event in a lot of places and you would have to pay a large percent of that transaction to the IRS or whatever your tax government agency is. So yea its pretty loving stupid versus using zelle or venmo.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

repiv posted:

IIRC it was that if you returned the car they could choose to pay you back the amount of BTC you paid or the dollar equivalent of the BTC you paid at the time, whichever is worth less

And if the price of Bitcoin went up between sending it and the transaction getting confirmed and you overpaid they would not reimburse you the difference.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stealthgerbil posted:

The thing the buttcoin nerds don't tell you is that it would be a taxable event in a lot of places and you would have to pay a large percent of that transaction to the IRS or whatever your tax government agency is. So yea its pretty loving stupid versus using zelle or venmo.

Uh, what? No. That's not how it works.

If you're getting paid income or realizing gains it's taxable either way. If you did a job for someone and got paid you owe income tax whether it was venmo or the bitcoin. If it is not income -- like your friend sent you $100 in buttcoins to split a restaurant bill and you cash them right away for $100 -- you don't owe any tax. OTOH if your fiend sent you cryptos and you cash them for $150 a week later, you owe $50 in gains.

The taxable event thing with crytpos is that any exchange of crypto-for-crypto counts as one. This is a very normal thing. But for a long time people were basically saying "as long as the law doesn't say anything about crypto, we can mix-and-match the most favorable possible set of tax laws we want!" This meant that they were saying that cryptos were a currency when you were trading them for other cryptos (not taxable), and a security when you cashed out for real money (taxed as long-term capital gains).

IRS finally said no: they're taxed as property. Which means any trade is an event where you realize gains or losses, and you pay short-term capital gains, not long.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I always thought short term capital gains tax was taxed at a lot higher percent then regular income tax though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

oi m8 a chav nicked me apes