Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, the story has a character turn into a pedo because of the Holocaust.

GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Tormented Souls is cool. Bloober STINKS.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Professor Wayne posted:

I played Tormented Souls for a few hours last night. It's not perfect, but it's doing a really good job of scratching that old-style RE itch.

Downloaded this yesterday as well and did the same. Reminds me a lot of early Silent Hill games.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I also picked up Tormented Souls recently and agreed it's cool, but the limited saving really ruins it for me. Not because I die and have to replay a lot(though that would also suck) but because I don't always have long enough stretches of time to play. So I make some progress but can't save it because I didn't find a tape, which really sucks to fun out of it.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I really should go back to that game. The character model and pointless nudity at the start really made me think the game was going to be a lot worse than my initial impressions lead me to believe so I refunded it. Glad that it seems to be a solid RE-like and I may well pick it up again as it seems I was wrong.

Glad I sacked off The Medium though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wasn't there a company (not Bloober) that made some tweets and had everyone thinking they were bringing back Silent Hill? I think they even came out and went "hey no we are not making silent hill" which made people more convinced that they were making a silent hill

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and if so what game were they making?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Len posted:

Wasn't there a company (not Bloober) that made some tweets and had everyone thinking they were bringing back Silent Hill? I think they even came out and went "hey no we are not making silent hill" which made people more convinced that they were making a silent hill

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and if so what game were they making?

yeah the game is Abandoned and it's abandonware now

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Lifeglug posted:

I really should go back to that game. The character model and pointless nudity at the start really made me think the game was going to be a lot worse than my initial impressions lead me to believe so I refunded it. Glad that it seems to be a solid RE-like and I may well pick it up again as it seems I was wrong.

Glad I sacked off The Medium though.

I don't know if my game came with DLC or what, but I started with a less embarrassing costume in my inventory

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Still liking Tormented Souls, but ran into two issues when I played last night. First, my game loaded without any save files. After some poking around, I found a new folder had manifested itself for some reason, and I needed to copy my save files from the old folder into it.

Second, I wasted a lot of ammo on an unkillable enemy :(

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Played through Martha Is Dead over a few days. My thought train went thusly, "This is pretty interesting. The squick scenes are far less than I was expecting." "Okay you're going there game, I'm still entertained." "Oh this is where they just wad the whole thing up and throw it over a bridge, gotcha"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Professor Wayne posted:

Still liking Tormented Souls, but ran into two issues when I played last night. First, my game loaded without any save files. After some poking around, I found a new folder had manifested itself for some reason, and I needed to copy my save files from the old folder into it.

Second, I wasted a lot of ammo on an unkillable enemy :(

I just started playing this other day and I'm really digging the atmosphere and vibe of the game.

Although the main character's facial model made me say "What's wrong with your faaaaaaaaaaaaaaace?!". Seriously she looks like a cleaned up PS1 cut scene model. Game looks great otherwise and whacking enemies with the crowbar is pretty satisfying.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So from what I've seen, Tormented Souls does have a moving camera but it looks like it treats it as a more dynamic version of the classic RE-style rooms. I assume it feels closer to those in playstyle than the more modern ones?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's fixed camera angles but in 3D kind, of like how Code Veronica did it. Or SH sometimes I guess.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DeathChicken posted:

Played through Martha Is Dead over a few days. My thought train went thusly, "This is pretty interesting. The squick scenes are far less than I was expecting." "Okay you're going there game, I'm still entertained." "Oh this is where they just wad the whole thing up and throw it over a bridge, gotcha"

Discendo Vox posted:

Horror games: Too bad about the story tho

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's telling how RE Village dropped the shooting and item-management for half an hour and delivered a horror experience that far exceeded anything Bloober and the like ever made.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
episode 2 of poppy playtime came out a few days ago and manages to be as unnerving as the first

the sound designers are really good at making "pursuing footsteps" noises

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

has anyone played breathing fear?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Oxxidation posted:

episode 2 of poppy playtime came out a few days ago and manages to be as unnerving as the first

the sound designers are really good at making "pursuing footsteps" noises

FYI Poppy Playtime got in on the NFT grift. They ended up having to backing down and donating their profits to charity (probably because it wasn't that profitable in the first place, and they still want to sell merchandise and are even making a movie).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
lucky for me I was experiencing it through no-commentary YouTube videos then

that does explain why there were so many “poppy dev apology” recs in the sidebar

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

IShallRiseAgain posted:

FYI Poppy Playtime got in on the NFT grift. They ended up having to backing down and donating their profits to charity (probably because it wasn't that profitable in the first place, and they still want to sell merchandise and are even making a movie).

I was wondering why I was thinking that PP was dead on arrival and I think it was this, yeah. I'm glad to hear that they are actually releasing levels instead of doing stupid nonsense, I might actually pick it up.

Are the actual levels entertaining by themselves? I played through Bendy and the Ink Machine mostly on sufferance to see where the story went and then it sucks, so I'd rather stick to games that are fun to play.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The first chapter is legit pretty good gameplay wise, it's not just walking simulator and involves some actual puzzles that take a bit of thought.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Oxxidation posted:

lucky for me I was experiencing it through no-commentary YouTube videos then

that does explain why there were so many “poppy dev apology” recs in the sidebar

actually the dev apology was because one of their founders bullied a minor into checking themselves into a mental facility completely separately from poppy. the NFT thing kind of ended up being secondary to, uh, that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
pinching the bridge of my nose and sighing real deep r/n

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's telling how RE Village dropped the shooting and item-management for half an hour and delivered a horror experience that far exceeded anything Bloober and the like ever made.

not a very high bar tbh

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mix. posted:

actually the dev apology was because one of their founders bullied a minor into checking themselves into a mental facility completely separately from poppy. the NFT thing kind of ended up being secondary to, uh, that

Is that the same minor they emailed a bunch of bullying images of himself as his Minecraft persona loving the baby character from FNaF?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

al-azad posted:

Is that the same minor they emailed a bunch of bullying images of himself as his Minecraft persona loving the baby character from FNaF?

What the gently caress

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

al-azad posted:

This combination of words, in this order, is more terrifying than any horror game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
you know, starting to think devs that make horror games solely to chase that fnaf cash might be bad

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There’s definitely some darkness behind Poppy’s Playtime.

https://twitter.com/itachibottomtex/status/1520198411303149568?s=21&t=AqYc06gPyrH8suIdWzIoJA

More details in the thread itself but the devs got their start making FNAF videos and were huge bullies in the community but we don’t know about it because kind of like Roblox until recently it’s a community largely composed of children who don’t have a platform to discuss it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

https://youtu.be/E105U5d6i8w

I remember watching this and it’s just skeezy as gently caress.

Also Tormented Souls just went on sale on steam so good time to pick it up.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

1stGear posted:

you know, starting to think devs that make horror games solely to chase that fnaf cash might be bad

Listen if Stephen King can make an underage orgy a key point of a book that gets made into like six movies then why can't I be a creep to this 16 year old in real life. It's called "method designing"

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

its frustrating bc it's pretty much exclusively the founders of the company that are doing all this skeevy poo poo so its probably likely that the people actually Making The Game are completely disconnected from all that (and the vibe I've gotten reading discussions about it is that the dev team is larger than they try to let on because they want to keep the feeling that they're Indie indie) but like. I can't in good faith financially support a studio whose heads are doing legitimately soul crushing poo poo like that :stonk:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The indie scene has it's own special brand of multi layered toxicity

al-azad
May 28, 2009

By all accounts the actual director of the game seems to be a cool person and it's likely the brothers that run the parent company are allegedly toxic as hell.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I've been playing (streaming lol) horror games lately and having a blast. Played through RE1 Remake (Chris), RE2 Remake (Leon A), RE3 Remake, RE4, RE5 and now playing through Fatal Frame.

RE4 was... Tolerable and RE5 was an unenjoyable misery. I'll be playing RE7 after Fatal Frame and can't wait. I'll do Jill in RE1 in future and Claire in RE2.

I played Amnesia years ago and it was ok. Poppy Playtime doesn't really appeal to me, same as the FNAF games. I've wish listed Tormented Souls. I do have The Evil Within which I tried quite some time ago but it felt quite clunky, but I'll be revisiting that I think - I didn't get too far into it.

Cheap jump scares don't bother me and I like being terrified.

I don't have any consoles, only PC. Any suggestions on what I might find fun?

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Dead Space

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Maybe skip to Evil WIthin 2 if the first one doesn't click again. I'll also throw out Alien Isolation and maybe some single player games of Phasmophobia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

a dmc delorean posted:

I've been playing (streaming lol) horror games lately and having a blast. Played through RE1 Remake (Chris), RE2 Remake (Leon A), RE3 Remake, RE4, RE5 and now playing through Fatal Frame.

RE4 was... Tolerable and RE5 was an unenjoyable misery. I'll be playing RE7 after Fatal Frame and can't wait. I'll do Jill in RE1 in future and Claire in RE2.

I played Amnesia years ago and it was ok. Poppy Playtime doesn't really appeal to me, same as the FNAF games. I've wish listed Tormented Souls. I do have The Evil Within which I tried quite some time ago but it felt quite clunky, but I'll be revisiting that I think - I didn't get too far into it.

Cheap jump scares don't bother me and I like being terrified.

I don't have any consoles, only PC. Any suggestions on what I might find fun?

I guess most recommendations are going to depend on why you found RE4 so bad but the other RE games really good because RE4 is pretty widely beloved.