Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does Delafield count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
There's no need to argue, every rural part of anywhere is poo poo

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Does Delafield count?

As someone who grew up in that area not sure if it would count as rural given how close it is to Waukesha

Does suck though! Full of horrible people!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Bjay9 posted:

There's no need to argue, every rural part of anywhere is poo poo

Counterpoint: there are rural areas that posess natural beauty, history, or other features that make them appealing and worth visiting or living in, even if most of the locals are terrible.

And then there's the places that make you wonder why humans settled there at all.

(I'm talking about you, Texas Panhandle.)

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
If you think Point sucks, try Wausau or Wisconsin Rapids. It gets bleak in the midsize WI towns that don't have a university. Or anywhere in the Fox River Valley, which is just strip malls as far as the eye can see. Stevens Point isn't great, I'm glad I left, but it punches above its weight and there are more deserving targets in this state.
I'll second this though, I've had to drive between central WI and La Crosse a couple of times and Mauston seemed grim.

Looking forward to checking out La Crosse over this summer. One of my colleagues called it a "Huck Finn rear end town" and so far I can't disagree.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

SirPablo posted:

I'm more interested in which RURAL part of Wisconsin is the worst.

St. Paul

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Cannot be true simply because Oz and The Worlds Largest Trivia Contest live there

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I watched a documentary about teenage life in a small Wisconsin town that led me to believe life is so bleak that the children regularly fling themselves off the water tower.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
In the midwest alone I’ll take the upper midwest over your dakotas or your missourahs let alone like Nebraska, which doesn’t count but. And Indiana? Jesus

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MJeff posted:

I watched a documentary about teenage life in a small Wisconsin town that led me to believe life is so bleak that the children regularly fling themselves off the water tower.

TBH we are getting to the point that that is most small towns in America and it’s probably only gonna get worse

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

CharlestheHammer posted:

TBH we are getting to the point that that is most small towns in America and it’s probably only gonna get worse

I made it through all 4 years at my suburban Chicago high school without a suicide, then 11 years after I graduated, there were three kids who threw themselves in front of a train in the same year. :smith:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

SirPablo posted:

I'm more interested in which RURAL part of Wisconsin is the worst.

It's small, but Rosendale. They literally have a Highway KKK (it's labeled Triple Kay on the street signs, but yeah).

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
It's not Spring Green; the American Players Theatre there is great. I've been to the area for work a few times, and every time I make sure to go see a show there.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

surf rock posted:

It's not Spring Green; the American Players Theatre there is great. I've been to the area for work a few times, and every time I make sure to go see a show there.

They also have The House on the Rock, which is like walking through a man's progression into insanity.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

It's small, but Rosendale. They literally have a Highway KKK (it's labeled Triple Kay on the street signs, but yeah).

Rosendale cops are also notorious for speed trapping 'outsiders' passing through, even more so than most small towns.

Source: Partner grew up nearby, everybody knows somebody who's gotten a ticket there.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

surf rock posted:

I've generally had pleasant experiences in the Driftless Area. Some of the most picturesque scenery in the state, and some good driving roads too.

And yeah, all the crazy Frank Lloyd Wright poo poo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CharlestheHammer posted:

It was pretty rough. One of the parents was threatening to put his foot in their asses so often, they had to use recreational drugs constantly just to dull the pain.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

gloom posted:

Rosendale cops are also notorious for speed trapping 'outsiders' passing through, even more so than most small towns.

Source: Partner grew up nearby, everybody knows somebody who's gotten a ticket there.

Yep, and it sucks because you have to go through there to get to Door County where I'm at and I hate them so much.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
It was a trick question. All of Wisconsin is horrible.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

SirPablo posted:

All of Wisconsin is horrible.

:hmmyes:

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

SirPablo posted:

It was a trick question. All of Wisconsin is horrible.

Im headed to madison in a couple weeks for work and im actually a little excited. There is an excellent seafood joint that i make a point to visit every time im up there . Tempest oyster bar near monona terrace. Check it out if you're close.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
If I want good seafood I make sure to head to the middle of a continent.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Madison is surrounded by four lakes. :eng101:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah, but only one of them is great

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

It's really only two, and I definitely would not eat anything caught from them

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

They also have The House on the Rock, which is like walking through a man's progression into insanity.

I've always wanted to check that place out

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

he said seafood not lakefood

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MJeff posted:

It was pretty rough. One of the parents was threatening to put his foot in their asses so often, they had to use recreational drugs constantly just to dull the pain.

Just need some kind of theme song that talks about how there is literally nothing to loving do except repeat an endless cycle of mundanity and I could see this being a successful (albeit bleak and depressing) show that could run upwards of (checks Google) 8 seasons!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Hey, shut up you little brats or ill turn this chat around and head for grocery store talk or 74 pages of Bort names. Lakefood...

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Bortfood.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
save bort money at menards

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SirPablo posted:

If I want good seafood I make sure to head to the middle of a continent.

I'm sorry that wherever you're from hasn't invented airtravel yet. You guys will figure it out someday.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

gloom posted:

I'll second this though, I've had to drive between central WI and La Crosse a couple of times and Mauston seemed grim.

Looking forward to checking out La Crosse over this summer. One of my colleagues called it a "Huck Finn rear end town" and so far I can't disagree.

LaCrosse is a cool little town, but Winona,MN is more ‘Huck Finn’ if you ask me. I went to college in Winona, it’s a great college town(like LaCrosse), but Winona kind of sucks now.

But it’s worth going to Winona to get a donut from Bloedow’s bakery. Best maple, or maple bacon, long John you’ll ever have.

Beautiful are down there though, great fishing in the river, nice trout streams, great morel mushroom scavenging to be had too!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Lions/status/1523311005870174208

Brock Wright with the best response.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I don't really know what to say about this, and, like, Tarik Cohen isn't on the Bears anymore

but this is rough and worth reading

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/tarik-cohen-mental-health-nfl-football

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Jen X posted:

I don't really know what to say about this, and, like, Tarik Cohen isn't on the Bears anymore

but this is rough and worth reading

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/tarik-cohen-mental-health-nfl-football

Jesus Christ, this whole thing, and especially that note at the end. :smith:

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Tarik Cohen to the LIONS as a RB or RB coach or something, gently caress.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

He's suffered enough dude.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I hope he makes it back into the NFL if he wants and is able to. Just tragic all the way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Jesus Christ, this whole thing, and especially that note at the end. :smith:

Right?!?!

Tarik: I'm finally starting to feel healthy again and things can't get any worse!

Narrator: Things got worse.

I'm hoping he is able to recover and get back on an NFL roster. Everyone who was acting like his long recovery time meant he didn't care pissed me off at the time. Now it makes me furious. It is insane how people act like professional athletes are lazy when it takes an insane amount of commitment to make it to the pros.