Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

DrunkPanda posted:

Their balance team is so stupid. They always nerf the hitscan heroes that require aim because "they are a little too strong". But they always leave these absolutely broken heroes that require no skill in an OP state

You must love Moira

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Roadhog is bad in OW2 though? Although did the patch make him OP?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It doesn't feel like he does as much damage, but he's a huge pain in the rear end to kill.

Granted, all the tanks are a huge pain in the rear end to kill. I kinda wish they didn't go this whole super tank route and just left tanks as-is but removed all their goddamn shields. By making tanks way harder to kill, but also making DPS harder to kill because they're faster, and also making support harder to kill because they constantly regen, they just took OW1 and made the game more tedious.

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 9, 2022

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
If OW2 has any life left, PvE will absolutely find it. You don't have to look much farther then fighting games to see how important single player/players vs environment is to actually winning an audience.

Mortal Kombat/Netherrealm Fighters are frequently talked about in most outside FG communities as somewhere between a joke and a curiosity. Their mechanics are usually seen as janky and broken, their non-cinematic animation is comedically terrible, and... they have also outsold every other fighting game franchise besides Smash Brothers by leagues because they are literally the only fighting game creator putting any effort anymore into single player content. The gulf between MK 10/MK 11/Injustice 2 and the next-closest best selling fighting game of the generation (Tekken 7) is almost double. People absolutely care about PvE content even in traditionally PvP genres.

PvE in OW2 gonna lose some of that draw unless there's a really workable AI system because some of that comes from folks who just don't want to multiplayer at all, but there are many, many people who want to play games but don't want to play games against other people for whatever reason, even if they gotta play WITH others, especially if those can be with friends. If ActiBlizz wants to try and woo people back- or even to capture players who were interested in everything the actual game before- they absolutely need to hit a home run on their PvE modes.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

adhuin posted:

gg ez
No skill Hanzo main!

I Hanjo.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Wheeee posted:

You must love Moira

I don't know why you're bringing up Moira, you think she's OP?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

DrunkPanda posted:

I don't know why you're bringing up Moira, you think she's OP?

You complained about no-skill heroes that don’t have to aim :shrug:

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

No, I was complaining about OP heroes that require no skill. I don't care if they require no skill if they are underpowered

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Where is the overwatch movie

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Lotta projecting ITT

i want to hear about mercy and pharah taking their child dva to mcdonalds

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
here's the problems with overwatch league as i saw it:

1. league didn't play on current patch.

if an update was pushed through, they kept the season on the old patch. these players are professionals. let them adjust mid-season. let us watch the meta unfold. let us try out strats they're using.

2. couldn't watch league games in client.

the games are hard to follow, watching it on stream. allow us to watch them in client, both live and replays. this would be great for pub games as well.

3. casters and analysts were whatever.

coming from dota 2, there are some huge personalities. all of the overwatch talent were super bland.

these opinions are based off the first and part of second season. i only ever watched if i was hat collecting and 90% of that was afk because it was really not very compelling.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't know they played on the previous patch lol but yeah I always thought it would fail because it does not make a good spectating game on stream.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It makes an excellent spectating game if you are allowed to spectate how you can in the client as mentioned above. Which sucks because watching OWL in its current state is a miserable experience.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
ESports are basically uninteresting to most people. Like the number of actually successful esports can be counted on one hand (dota, lol, smash, csgo, and starcraft1) and these are/were all popular for peculiar and specific reasons. Even if OW was actually a good game that was good to watch it almost certainly still wouldn't be a successful esport.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 9, 2022

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

DoctorJones posted:

2. couldn't watch league games in client.

the games are hard to follow, watching it on stream. allow us to watch them in client, both live and replays. this would be great for pub games as well.

I never understood this either. I mean, the client has this ability, why not let users actually use it for these matches? Watching the video of a match is pretty meh because they jump around so much from player to player to third person, but being able to watch an entire match from the perspective of a single player would be super cool.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I tried to watch CSGO eleague one time, and it was the most absurdly boring 45 minutes of my life. There is nothing to see. Some dude crouching behind a box until 3 pixels that are imperceptible to a spectator stick out into a window. The "twitch faster" game is unwatchable and uninteresting.

OW2 was pretty decent to spectate, but not as good as OW1. There is too much dueling and mobility, and not enough consistent direction of play. OW1 was really interesting with the way play rotates around the tanks, and any deviation made an interesting story.

e: ow2 seems to be the 'corner the healers' game.

headcase fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 9, 2022

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

headcase posted:

I tried to watch CSGO eleague one time, and it was the most absurdly boring 45 minutes of my life. There is nothing to see. Some dude crouching behind a box until 3 pixels that are imperceptible to a spectator stick out into a window. The "twitch faster" game is unwatchable and uninteresting.

OW2 was pretty decent to spectate, but not as good as OW1. There is too much dueling and mobility, and not enough consistent direction of play. OW1 was really interesting with the way play rotates around the tanks, and any deviation made an interesting story.

e: ow2 seems to be the 'corner the healers' game.

This is an impressive post

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

kedo posted:

It doesn't feel like he does as much damage, but he's a huge pain in the rear end to kill.

Granted, all the tanks are a huge pain in the rear end to kill. I kinda wish they didn't go this whole super tank route and just left tanks as-is but removed all their goddamn shields. By making tanks way harder to kill, but also making DPS harder to kill because they're faster, and also making support harder to heal because they constantly regen, they just took OW1 and made the game more tedious.

So now we just ignore the tanks and kill the healers even faster, which makes people love playing support just that much less

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Good Will Hrunting posted:

No use arguing or debating really. Since PvE is the only aspect of OW2 you'll have to purchase we can just come back to this discussion when sales are poo poo.
They’ll pump sales by making unique cosmetics only available from pve purchase. Same way they have anyone actually watching OWL.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

kedo posted:

I never understood this either. I mean, the client has this ability, why not let users actually use it for these matches? Watching the video of a match is pretty meh because they jump around so much from player to player to third person, but being able to watch an entire match from the perspective of a single player would be super cool.

my guess is it's harder to serve ads in client. and activision is all about making that cheddar

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oh. Yeah now that you’ve said that it’s incredibly obvious. :doh:

Sell billboard space on Route 66…?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I hate spectating any FPS cast because they jump between different players' perspectives and it's always just really disorienting. If an FPS cast committed solely to flying overview perspectives it'd be way more appealing to me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Remember when they introduced the ability for the viewer to switch between player povs on twitch and then almost immediately jumped ship to YouTube lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Remember when they introduced the ability for the viewer to switch between player povs on twitch and then almost immediately jumped ship to YouTube lmao

I think its Twitch who peaced out of their agreement with OWL and decided not to renew their contract because OWL were asking for too much money. Or it might've been the other way around, I dunno.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Naw you were right the first time. OWL got $100M and both sides knew full well they were never going to pull in the viewers to substantiate that.

Player perspectives were well worth it though, losing those really, really sucked

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

teagone posted:

I think its Twitch who peaced out of their agreement with OWL and decided not to renew their contract because OWL were asking for too much money. Or it might've been the other way around, I dunno.

Youtube outbid twitch on the contract, Extremely aggressively. It was also an almost guaranteed increase in traffic, better analytics because duh, google, and also stability. Twitch had dropped the ball during peak streams quite a few times.

From a business perspective, not using youtube would hemorrhage tens of millions in extra costs and lost revenue. The move to youtube also attracted a much more casual audience for viewing, With Twitch you either know about it or you don't. Whereas Youtube is literally the 2nd most visited website in the world.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ima get a message in 3 hours from videogames that the report volume has actually crashed the back-end report-viewing forum
load bearing leaver

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sakara123 posted:

Youtube outbid twitch on the contract, Extremely aggressively. It was also an almost guaranteed increase in traffic, better analytics because duh, google, and also stability. Twitch had dropped the ball during peak streams quite a few times.

From a business perspective, not using youtube would hemorrhage tens of millions in extra costs and lost revenue. The move to youtube also attracted a much more casual audience for viewing, With Twitch you either know about it or you don't. Whereas Youtube is literally the 2nd most visited website in the world.

they got like 10k views on youtube after switching yknow

only real perk to the switch afaik was that blizzact got a good deal on server/hosting costs, which was apparently worth 400m/yr out of it. Youtube was unquestionably a huge step-down from twitch for OWL and they also were super slow to integrate OWL onto youtube and it was months before even people subscribed to OWL were seeing OWL on the youtube home-screen. It was an absolute shitshow of a switch on pretty much every level

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 10, 2022

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Just loving lol if you think YouTube is good for streaming, you obviously don't watch live streams that much. YouTube is loving horrendous for finding live streams, even if you know they're live right now AND you're subscribed to the channel. Blizz might have made a bundle on the YouTube deal, but it cost them any momentum they had in terms of streaming.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Everyone knew the initial twitch deal with OWL was hilariously god awful for twitch and it just got funnier and more surreal as the two years stretched on. The youtube deal was really transparent face-saving.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 10, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Last I heard twitch considers the OWL deal to be the worst deal they ever made

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's hard to beat spending 120 million dollars on absolutely nothing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nah that's probably the deal they gave Dr. DisRespect since they banned him to get out of it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Looks like DPS players hosed off to their Open Queue and everything is back to normal now.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

feeling animus toward people who want to play a character that shoots things in a first-person shooter because my brain works real good

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wheeee posted:

feeling animus toward people who want to play a character that shoots things in a first-person shooter because my brain works real good

Characters that shoot things?
You mean like, Orisa, Roadhog, DVA, Sigma, Hammond, Zarya, Ana, Baptiste, Lucio, Mercy or Zenyata?

I'm very sorry you feel called out for always slampicking DPS in every situation without any regard for your team.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Jack Trades posted:

Characters that shoot things?
You mean like, Orisa, Roadhog, DVA, Sigma, Hammond, Zarya, Ana, Baptiste, Lucio, Mercy or Zenyata?

I'm very sorry you feel called out for always slampicking DPS in every situation without any regard for your team.

wdym, everyone knows hog,dva,zarya,lucio & zen are dps heroes.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

without any regard for your team.

lol

Overwatch has experienced a meteoric rise in popularity over the years due to the huge number of freaks who want to play a first-person MOBA, this is true!

oh and open queue is still getting games going in 5-20 seconds most of the time, and they almost always have at least one tank per team so :shrug:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
it takes half a match to get a healer though and its always lucio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

it takes half a match to get a healer though and its always lucio

At least lucio is actually quite good (at least currently). Mobility right now really is absurdly strong. Just stop taking damage, it's literally so easy. :aaaaa: