Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
If I was the Russians I'd be making the most of this golden opportunity to find all kinds of salacious stuff, kinda sad that the going got tough and they apparently forgot about all that stuff they were hyping up

like show me the biolap with a hunter biden's special crack den room next to the admin office

instead the moron Russian FSB operation groups are spreading fake rumors that the Ukranians sunk another Russian ship to, I guess, make people doubt pro-Ukranian rumors? or something?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

I don't think we can really turst these coerced videos. The video starts with the interrogator making the Soldier reveal his full name and his HOME ADDRESS back in Russia. Later the interrogator catches on that the soldier has said a few times that there are lots of good, Russian-speaking, Slavic people in Ukraine, and the interrogator gets pissed and starts lecturing on how it's not only the Russian-speaking people who are good, etc.

A video of a captured soldier being made to reveal his full name and home address, reading a prepared statement, and having words put in his mouth by the captor is pretty hosed up. I know people don't support Russia, but it's just poo poo behavior and is exactly the kind of video that would be illegal for the US military to produce and distribute under US Code unless someone got some John Yoo level legal gymnastics to justify it.

I hadn't thought of that - appreciate you pointing that out.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's probably par for the course for interrogators to do all those things. To me, it's on the captured conscript not knowing any goddamn better than name, number and unit only.

Anything else and he's playing along with a good cop/bad cop routine.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Pikehead posted:

I hadn't thought of that - appreciate you pointing that out.

is it as hosed as dropping artillery on cities?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i would assume literally any pow videos are just the person saying and doing whatever they think has the lowest chance of getting them tortured.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i would assume literally any pow videos are just the person saying and doing whatever they think has the lowest chance of getting them tortured.

blaze it

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It may have changed, but before the Iraq Invasion, Intelligence gave us a brief about actions on capture.

"There is no reason to get tortured for a Google search. Any publicly available information can be used to build rapport between you and the captor, and can be utilized as resources."

I agree it's a hosed up video, but given the world today, it's been kinda the thing for like 20 years.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I have been dying laughing after learning that The Big Helmet is constructed of three independent plates that don't interlock and that nylon & shoestring cover is actually load-bearing, and the Soviets made this out of titanium and issued it.

Groverhelm.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

shame on an IGA posted:

I have been dying laughing after learning that The Big Helmet is constructed of three independent plates that don't interlock and that nylon & shoestring cover is actually load-bearing, and the Soviets made this out of titanium and issued it.

Groverhelm.

to go with the VDV zipline

and crowdfunded Doobaofeng radios for truckers

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1523477886669180930?s=20

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
maybe im biased by pre-2014 reputation of ukranian ministry of internal affairs, but they are on the short lists of organizations I would most not want to be the hostile prisoner of. Hopefully that has changed since then. Probably has to some extent, but idk how much I'd trust that culture to change in a decade.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Herstory Begins Now posted:

maybe im biased by pre-2014 reputation of ukranian ministry of internal affairs, but they are on the short lists of organizations I would most not want to be the hostile prisoner of. Hopefully that has changed since then. Probably has to some extent, but idk how much I'd trust that culture to change in a decade.

Well there’s a sure fire way to not get on that list.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Crab Dad posted:

NATO made me do it :(

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah it's funny how that works

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Russia well on its way to losing more vehicles in 6 months than we lost servicemen in all of GWOT.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

World in Conflict looking like a must-replay I think

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Crab Dad posted:

Avoid becoming a POW with this one weird trick. Russians hate it!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Man I wish they made a sequel I came we’re just leave my sidequel. It was such a good game and you could even become kind of involved with the characters and the story. It’s so well done, it makes you forget, how ridiculous the scenario proposed is.

Granted the Alec Baldwin narrations are a bit weird on the replay now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Why? The game climaxes with a friendly fire incident.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

:perfect:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Man I wish they made a sequel I came we’re just leave my sidequel. It was such a good game and you could even become kind of involved with the characters and the story. It’s so well done, it makes you forget, how ridiculous the scenario proposed is.

Oh for sure and they didn’t phone it in for the Seattle missions, I liked how the Kingdome got leveled by artillery and the city skyline had a lot of recognizable buildings, and I liked the mission in the San Juan Islands. Excellent story as well, was glad they bothered to give the Soviets characterization and their plan had some coherence.

For a mostly forgotten game they were giving Blizzard a run for their money in CGI cutscene quality. Some of my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCtQEuwNyBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnV5K6rULm0

And this one was odd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF79U0B_ze0 it looks great but DC is never attacked in the game and it seems bizarre they’d spend a lot of time/money for a cutscene that isn’t in the final release. Kinda wonder if stuff like that meant big cost overruns so no sequel.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

:holymoley:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I got the collector's edition of World in Conflict shortly after it was released and it came with an actual piece of the Berlin Wall in the box. Pretty cool as far as video game memorabilia goes, and I think one of the last physical video games I got before I said gently caress it and just got everything off Steam.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cool

my World of Warships came with the True Cross

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I got the collector's edition of World in Conflict shortly after it was released and it came with an actual piece of the Berlin Wall in the box. Pretty cool as far as video game memorabilia goes, and I think one of the last physical video games I got before I said gently caress it and just got everything off Steam.

Multiplayer WiC was the poo poo when you were coordinating with friends. Especially a triple nuke strike.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

WiC is possibly one of the best PC games ever made, and I'm sad that they never released another.

e: The single player story thread about the national guard soldier arguing with DFAS still cracks me up

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

World in Conflict was amazing and sadly they just recently killed the official multiplayer online servers forever.

TBH, the game was incredibly ambitious for what it was trying to achieve in 2011 and it saddens me to no end that we won't see something like that again.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Looks like it's 2.49 on GOG so I guess I'm buying it

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I'm heading to work in Brussels and my girlfriend is in Lithuania on a cultural exchange. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tiny bit anxious at what today will bring, irrational as it may be.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A Festivus Miracle posted:

World in Conflict was amazing and sadly they just recently killed the official multiplayer online servers forever.

TBH, the game was incredibly ambitious for what it was trying to achieve in 2011 and it saddens me to no end that we won't see something like that again.

It was great but it was a pretty natural evolution from Ground Control 1 and 2 - nothing that groundbreaking about it. Now Ground Control is the game I'd like another sequel to.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fragrag posted:

I'm heading to work in Brussels and my girlfriend is in Lithuania on a cultural exchange. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tiny bit anxious at what today will bring, irrational as it may be.

I live within the cooking radius of several strategic military targets in Germany, so I'm right there with yah.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

No big announcement from Pooty Poot today, just the usual line about blaming the west blah blah blah.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
The air shows over most cities have been cancelled too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So much victory

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

TEE FOURTEEN

TEE FOURTEEN

I want the spanish armata

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I know it's supposed to be a feelgood story, but all I can think about is how hosed up it is that children have a real, pressing need to learn about mine safety :smith:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

DAAAAA DA DA DA DA DAAAAAAA DA DAAAAAAAAAAAAA
DAAAAA DA DA DA DA DAAAAA DA DAAAAAAAAA
DAAAAAAAAAAA DA DA DA DA DAAAA DA DAAAAAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5fenjzeh7g

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Alan Smithee posted:

Pro- click right here.

Actually made me cry.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I like how in the lead-up to this, there was rampant speculation about what Putin would do - from declaring victory and throwing in the towel, to declaring nuclear war on NATO. And in the end, he decided to just ignore it and continue on as if nothing was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

From the comments: "When the 2nd best army in the world turns into the 2nd best army in Ukraine"