Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Miz Kriss posted:

I figured that was implied in the first game :v:

Also I just realized that it makes complete sense that Ford didn't punish Hollis for scrambling her boss' brain and instead recruited her because he literally did the same thing.

In fact, all 3 of the brain scramblings we've seen so far have been for self-serving reasons: Raz wanted to go on a dangerous mission; Hollis wanted her boss to pay for stealing her work; Ford could not bear to see Lucy die, even after she destroyed so many lives.

Hollis was recruited by Truman Zanotto. He's the one who also fixed Dr. Potts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Dammit I'm mixing up Hollis' and Compton's memory vault, aren't I?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Miz Kriss posted:

Dammit I'm mixing up Hollis' and Compton's memory vault, aren't I?

If Hollis was confused, we can be as well :)

We'll continue with the plot this weekend but in the meantime, here's a video I've been waiting for. Thanks to everyone in the chat who helped perfect the YouTube thumbnail! :discourse:

If you try it at home, let me know how it goes. I'm sure it'll go a lot better with a pan that doesn't want to let go of that goddamn egg and makes the yolk burn all over the bottom (yes I need a better frying pan).

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Anaxite posted:

We'll continue with the plot this weekend but in the meantime, here's a video I've been waiting for. Thanks to everyone in the chat who helped perfect the YouTube thumbnail! :discourse:

If you try it at home, let me know how it goes. I'm sure it'll go a lot better with a pan that doesn't want to let go of that goddamn egg and makes the yolk burn all over the bottom (yes I need a better frying pan).

Well, I wasn't going to make a sandwich for lunch, but here we are.

I did this with no planning and just what I had on hand, so it's going to be one of those "I substituted everything in the recipe for something completely different, and it didn't taste the same! 1 *" type deals. But it was still good.

I've never made bechamel sauce (and I can't say for sure I've ever eaten it), so whatever I made, it was pretty tasty (I used salted butter, so I didn't add any more salt, but I should have).

I'm not sure how much this deviates from the spirit of the Croque Monsieur/Madame, but your issue with the bread being soggy would have been solved by toasting the bread first. I toasted mine on one side in a pan with a light layer of mayo (MAYONAISE, NOT Miracle Whip, NOT salad dressing!), then spread raspberry preserves (I didn't have any strawberry) on one toasted side, bechamel on the other, a slice of muenster cheese (didn't have swiss) on each side, then some sliced honey ham that I lightly grilled in the pan (I think black forest ham might have been better, but honey ham was what I had). Closed it up, toasted the bottom well, the top very lightly, moved it to a cooking sheet and spread some more bechamel on top, then another slice of muenster, then into the broiler to get the cheese bubbly and browned, and finish toasting the top (gotta watch food in the broiler. It ain't but 10 seconds between "That's perfect!" to "Oh poo poo it's on fire!") while frying the egg (I love runny yolks, but hate runny whites, so I prefer over easy to sunny side up). Plate the sandwich, add the egg, and enjoy.

And I did enjoy. With the toasted bread, there was no sogginess, really held together well. I know it was more of a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, maybe closer to a Monte Cristo. Again I'm not sure how much that deviates from the spirit of the Croque Monsieur/Madame, but it was tasty and the toasted bread gave it a good consistency. And the raspberry preserves added just a really light sweetness to it, very subtle. I'm thinking I could have added preserves to both of the insides of the sandwich instead of one side getting preserves and one getting bechamel, that would probably have given it a stronger flavor, and just had the bechamel on top, maybe putting more on top than I did to make up for not having any inside. I like muenster, but it's a really mild flavor, I'm thinking something stronger flavored like swiss would have paired well with adding more preserves inside.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Wa11y posted:

Well, I wasn't going to make a sandwich for lunch, but here we are.

I did this with no planning and just what I had on hand, so it's going to be one of those "I substituted everything in the recipe for something completely different, and it didn't taste the same! 1 *" type deals. But it was still good.

I've never made bechamel sauce (and I can't say for sure I've ever eaten it), so whatever I made, it was pretty tasty (I used salted butter, so I didn't add any more salt, but I should have).

I'm not sure how much this deviates from the spirit of the Croque Monsieur/Madame, but your issue with the bread being soggy would have been solved by toasting the bread first. I toasted mine on one side in a pan with a light layer of mayo (MAYONAISE, NOT Miracle Whip, NOT salad dressing!), then spread raspberry preserves (I didn't have any strawberry) on one toasted side, bechamel on the other, a slice of muenster cheese (didn't have swiss) on each side, then some sliced honey ham that I lightly grilled in the pan (I think black forest ham might have been better, but honey ham was what I had). Closed it up, toasted the bottom well, the top very lightly, moved it to a cooking sheet and spread some more bechamel on top, then another slice of muenster, then into the broiler to get the cheese bubbly and browned, and finish toasting the top (gotta watch food in the broiler. It ain't but 10 seconds between "That's perfect!" to "Oh poo poo it's on fire!") while frying the egg (I love runny yolks, but hate runny whites, so I prefer over easy to sunny side up). Plate the sandwich, add the egg, and enjoy.

And I did enjoy. With the toasted bread, there was no sogginess, really held together well. I know it was more of a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, maybe closer to a Monte Cristo. Again I'm not sure how much that deviates from the spirit of the Croque Monsieur/Madame, but it was tasty and the toasted bread gave it a good consistency. And the raspberry preserves added just a really light sweetness to it, very subtle. I'm thinking I could have added preserves to both of the insides of the sandwich instead of one side getting preserves and one getting bechamel, that would probably have given it a stronger flavor, and just had the bechamel on top, maybe putting more on top than I did to make up for not having any inside. I like muenster, but it's a really mild flavor, I'm thinking something stronger flavored like swiss would have paired well with adding more preserves inside.

Yeeessssss! One more joins the fold.

Your variation is solid—some of the stuff, like pre toasting, is against the spirit of the "real" version, but at some point you just want to say "gently caress it" and have a good sandwich.

If you were going for an actually tasty sandwich like you did, rather than just basing it on the game, you could use also some darker, whole grain bread. It would hold better in the oven or to sauce. You could also use fig jam, I feel like that would go over better with the other stuff.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Anaxite posted:

Yeeessssss! One more joins the fold.

Your variation is solid—some of the stuff, like pre toasting, is against the spirit of the "real" version, but at some point you just want to say "gently caress it" and have a good sandwich.

If you were going for an actually tasty sandwich like you did, rather than just basing it on the game, you could use also some darker, whole grain bread. It would hold better in the oven or to sauce. You could also use fig jam, I feel like that would go over better with the other stuff.

Well, if you're going to talk bread choices, some dense sourdough could be great if you're not going to toast the bread first and don't want soggy bread. Along with only adding jam to the sandwich inside, and bechamel outside.

I should not be discussing ways to improve a sandwich when I'm still full from the first sandwich.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Sandwich bread, despite being the "right" choice, is annoying because it usually has sugar or other things added to make it soft.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well now I've got to make it for my wife's brunch on mother's day. Should be fun and surprisingly acceptable

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Oh, and for those who don't read the YouTube descriptions, here's the recipe I revised since shooting the video. Your mileage may vary, and if you're serving this for a general audience you may really want to omit the jam until you know you like it.

quote:

STRAWBERRY JAM CROQUE MADAME
Yield: four sandwiches

---

INGREDIENTS

Béchamel:
30g (2 Tb) butter
30g (2 Tb) white flour
375 ml (1.5 c) non-skim milk
Dash of pepper
Dash of salt
Pinch of nutmeg

Sandwich:
8 slices sandwich bread
4 slices cooked ham
150 g (1.5 c) cheese, grated (Emmentaler, Gruyere, Comte etc)
4 eggs
A bit of extra butter, to fry
Salt and pepper, to taste

---

METHOD

🥣 Béchamel Sauce:

- In a saucepan, on medium heat, melt the butter completely.
- Add the flour and whisk for a minute or two to create a golden roux. Don't let it get dark.
- Gradually add the milk. Whisk smooth after each addition.
- Whisk while mixture comes to a boil, then add the pepper, salt, and nutmeg.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. Cook the béchamel down for at least five minutes, or however long until the mixture is thicker, and make sure you're mixing frequently to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Set béchamel aside.

🥪 Sandwich:

- Preheat your oven to 220 °C (425 °F).
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or similar. Put the first four slices of bread on it; these will be the bottom slices.
- Spread roughly 30 ml/2 Tb béchamel sauce on each of the bottom slices.
- Put one slice of ham on the bottom slices.
- Take half the grated cheese and spread it evenly over the ham.
- Take the other four slices of bread; these will be the top slices. Spread a layer of strawberry jam on them.
- Close the sandwiches.
- Cook the sandwiches in the center of the oven for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly golden.
- While the sandwiches are baking, fry the eggs sunny-side-up in a bit of butter until the white is set. Salt and pepper the eggs.
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven, and use a spatula to put a fried egg on top of each sandwich.
- Plate and serve!

👉 SERVING SUGGESTIONS

Serve with a side of bitter green lettuce and sliced apple.

---

VARIATION 1: Strawberry jam outside

Don't spread jam on the top slice of bread before closing the sandwich. Instead, put the jam on top of the sandwich after it's out of the oven, but before you put the egg on top. This may make the jam runnier.

VARIATION 2: No béchamel

Instead of creating a béchamel sauce, use butter: just spread some butter on the inside of the bread slices before putting or spreading anything else on. This variation is much easier and will be less runny.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

The one time I had a croque madame, it had mustard on it, and I hate mustard :(

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Surprisingly acceptable :golfclap:.
And Season your steel pan! Itll be better than a non stick! Plus you can stick it in the oven so you dont have to get burnt cheese bits on your baking mat.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 4, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I love it when LPs go beyond the game itself.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Surprisingly acceptable :golfclap:.
And Season your steel pan! Itll be better than a non stick! Plus you can stick it in the oven so you dont have to get burnt cheese bits on your baking mat.

Yeah, this pan hasn't had careful maintenance in quite a while. And it's not mine. I think I'll be giving it a bit of TLC soon anyhow.

Still, I prefer dealing with the pan than trying to figure out how on earth to make a Grulovian Drowned Egg. The pancake stacker, though...

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
At the end of the last mission are we in the real world or still in Fords mind?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

We're back in the real world as soon as you see Raz running towards his family's camp, and he gets intercepted by Ford. The game would then go straight into a new area, but it was where I cut off the video.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hey wait, didn't Compton go running off to find Cassie?

I guess thing uh, didn't go as planned for him lol

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As you can probably guess given the past two sets of Mental Worlds, the Mental Worlds of Bob and Cassie can be completed in either order.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Xun posted:

Hey wait, didn't Compton go running off to find Cassie?

I guess thing uh, didn't go as planned for him lol

I guess that's what happens when you bee-lieve too much in your forest friends.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

I like Cassie. After all, we're one of her biggest fans!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

First question: Can you use clairvoyance on your projection?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh my god its GIR

Why

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Getting GIR to voice a projection of a character voiced by Zim is fantastic.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
it's really good, yeah

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Annoying little gremlins though they may be to deal with, we have one of my favorite enemies as a concept: the Enabler who represents the reinforcement of negative emotions or thoughts and whose name refers to a person who encourages negative if not outright self-destructive behavior which makes them seem like an odd little critter to encounter running rampant in the mind of the seemingly stable Cassie as opposed to Bob whose behavior is very unquestionably negative and self-destructive in nature.

I also like that Cassie is the most receptive to Raz entering her mind, presumably to contrast with Bob.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 17, 2022

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The Dewey decimal number on the card catalog drawers is 398.2, the number for fairy tales and folklore.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I love Archtype Raz, but I understand he is really good in small doses.

So today's fun fact is that with lil Raz we have an Invader Zim reunion since Raz is voiced by Richard Horviz, who played Zim, and Archtype Raz is voiced by Rikki Simons, who played GIR.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

And GIR is just as irritating as I remember :allears: I dunno why but I do love the archetypes walking animation though

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Xun posted:

And GIR is just as irritating as I remember :allears: I dunno why but I do love the archetypes walking animation though

You think it would cause some type of dissonance, but somehow it works.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Aww, people like him! He is really precious. The absolute, archetypal boy.

Carbon dioxide posted:

First question: Can you use clairvoyance on your projection?

Yes you can! To boy, boy is boy.

We'll move into literals a few years from now.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cassies mind is such a charming world.
I think i like it best out of the ones weve seen so far. Helps that the art direction for the place is very on point.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

794 is the Dewey number for games, 158 is the number for mental faculties (most of the self-help books live here) and 597 is the number for...reptiles and amphibians? Maybe they wanted 595 for insects instead?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I'm looking at a twitter thread that translates the Latin in the books. Apparently it's quite a dodgy translation. It also goes further than we've seen, so spoilers! Here's the part we have seen:

The Bees' Plan

Once, a wasp said, "I'm going to eat a beehive." Six brave bees began to buzz.
The first bee told a story. It was bad.
The second sang a song of peace. The wasp did not like it.
The third asked for help from the ants, but they said no.
The fourth bee used a vine, but the wasp broke free.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
So you noticed that Archetype Lucy mentioned Galochio as one of her names.

Recall that Raz's dad mentioned that it was the Galochio family, and specifically Maligula herself, who purportedly cursed the Aquatos in the first place before Cruller confirmed that the curse was not real and that he believed he needed to instill a fear of water in her to prevent her from rediscovering her specialty: Hydrokinesis.

Now to be clear: Hydrokinesis is not exclusive to Lucy as Lizzie Natividad uses hydrokinesis in tandem with her specialty of cryokinesis in contrast her with her pyrokinetic sister, Norma.

Lucy however is the most important user of this power which, naturally, begs the question of where her power came from since psychic powers are typically inherited from at least one of user's own parents.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

So you noticed that Archetype Lucy mentioned Galochio as one of her names.

Recall that Raz's dad mentioned that it was the Galochio family, and specifically Maligula herself, who purportedly cursed the Aquatos in the first place before Cruller confirmed that the curse was not real and that he believed he needed to instill a fear of water in her to prevent her from rediscovering her specialty: Hydrokinesis.

Now to be clear: Hydrokinesis is not exclusive to Lucy as Lizzie Natividad uses hydrokinesis in tandem with her specialty of cryokinesis in contrast her with her pyrokinetic sister, Norma.

Lucy however is the most important user of this power which, naturally, begs the question of where her power came from since psychic powers are typically inherited from at least one of user's own parents.

Do we know anything about psychics before the original psychonauts? I kinda assumed they were the first to seriously investigate their skills and whatever came before them was barely known and mostly uncontrolled.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Cassies mind is such a charming world.
I think i like it best out of the ones weve seen so far. Helps that the art direction for the place is very on point.

It really is super charming. It's like the anti-Compton, which is fitting.

fractalairduct posted:

I'm looking at a twitter thread that translates the Latin in the books. Apparently it's quite a dodgy translation. It also goes further than we've seen, so spoilers! Here's the part we have seen:

I was wondering about that. That's really cool, spoilers or otherwise! Thanks for finding it, I'll put it in the OP.

That said, we're at a point of the game where spoilers are a bit weird. The game will spell out things for you if you wait enough, but speaking to everybody means we got a lot of information early. We're ahead of the game, but there are still things to figure out.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 15, 2022

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Do we know anything about psychics before the original psychonauts? I kinda assumed they were the first to seriously investigate their skills and whatever came before them was barely known and mostly uncontrolled.

They likely were though there is at least one family of implied psychics that purportedly predates the Psychic Seven: the Galochio family aka Lucy and Marona’s parents.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
Hold on, what's going on here? Everyone knows wizards have no sense of right and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

There's gotta be some serious misfiring going on in the fantasy section!