Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

didn't the lead singer of rammstein almost get clipped by covid? for shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

ikanreed posted:

When was that?

I was surprised when it actually officially happened a couple days ago

To be fair I don't remember the exact date, but doing the math it was sometime in late February, probably around the 22nd. I was 4 espressos deep at a cafe in Phuket, watching traffic and sparking powerlines, and realized it would "seed" the rural parts of the country and that domestic U.S. containment wasn't going to happen.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
du

du hast

du hast covid

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sphyre posted:

didn't the lead singer of rammstein almost get clipped by covid? for shame

Indeed, and he didn't have cancer or heart disease.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Mola Yam posted:

du

du hast

du hast covid

du hast mich gehustet

du hast mich gehustet

du hast mich gehustet

und ich hab nicht maskiert

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Escaped it for 2+ years and now we have it (self.COVID19positive)

quote:

Well, we finally caught it. The tot came home with a fever on Wednesday from daycare. The next day I had a fever and scratchy throat.

On Friday I felt absolutely awful; More fevers, body aches, fatigue, congestion,and coughing.

On Saturday I was coughing tons and had lots of congestion and runny nose.

On Sunday I didn't cough as much , but the fatigue really hit me and around midnight I started feeling some shortness of breath.

Today I'm on day 5, I have a virtual visit scheduled and hopefully will qualify for Paxlovid. I'm overweight and have asthma. My toddler (3) also has asthma but has seemed fine so far. I'm pretty petrified. I'm vaxxed and boosted (Pfizer), my husband is double vaxxed, obviously my kid can't. My kid was in the hospital earlier this year with the flu after it cause respiratory distress.

I'm so frustrated, petrified, and annoyed. We've gone almost nowhere, we've done almost nothing. We went to the grocery store last weekend and my kid goes to a small in home daycare. That's it. And that was probably our second indoor outing in months. I even have groceries delivered.

Sad!

Many such cases!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I want this but subtract the misogyny and add a respirator

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7095515980343889195

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
im prob getting covid this month, started a new job after being fired and it's hybrid remote, but no one in the office wears a mask and loves the AC lol
i didnt realise finnish people were basically taking covid the same way swedes did

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

I want this but subtract the misogyny and add a respirator

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7095515980343889195

This one is sold as a flexible circuit board that can be installed in any suitably dimensioned eyepro. Controlled in an app via Bluetooth.

I’m not sure that I want a lithium ion battery millimetres from my eye, but that’s fixable.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002710872844.html

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

The secret is media literacy, and we learned about it in D&D.

Except for me, and I got COVID.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

two-time fee posted:

The secret is media literacy, and we learned about it in D&D.

Except for me, and I got COVID.

I think after this next wave we need to do a poll to see who's left and turn it into a bracket

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Why is no one talking about mild memory loss

Sep 2, 2011

Gio posted:

love that the article ends with EVERYONES GONNA GET IT.

yes, you will get covid when you stop taking sufficient precautions. its inevitable. what an astounding discovery.

when people say "everyone's gonna get it" it always sounded to me more like a threat and less them conveying some objective info.

loading... has issued a correction as of 11:35 on May 9, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

as of today we’re now in the 4th largest wave and according to meshkin, on track to be the third largest wave

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

El Mero Mero posted:

I think after this next wave we need to do a poll to see who's left and turn it into a bracket

If I can't bet on myself winning, I'm gonna put my money on NeonPunk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

as of today we’re now in the 4th largest wave and according to meshkin, on track to be the third largest wave

That just sets the stage for the third largest celebration that

COVID

Is

Over!

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Steve Yun posted:

vs. No, We're Not

Sep 2, 2011
imo people saying you're a genetic freak for avoiding COVID are clearly just externalizing their inability (total unwillingness) to act responsibly or deny any hedonistic impulse that flickers across their mind from their unrestrained id, and have never known anything beyond mild inconvenience in their lives, which naturally they regard as crimes against humanity

of course there are people who did take precautions and still got it because the kids that were forced into COVID mines brought it home or something, and i'm not talking about them. usually those people are not the ones threatening others with the supposed inevitable consequences of their own actions

loading... has issued a correction as of 11:28 on May 9, 2022

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Banana Man posted:

They keep forgetting it. :haw:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

loading... posted:

imo people saying you're a genetic freak for avoiding COVID are clearly just externalizing their inability (total unwillingness) to act responsibly

OK but the one nurse in that article IS an anomaly who should be studied, and she knows it and signed up for testing for that reason. The article and title is horrible stupid clickbait otherwise, but studying people like that nurse is what they want and need, not the careful and unexposed.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
ive never heard someone use "genetic freak" as a pejorative 2bh

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Sad!

Many such cases!

Childcare is an insoluble problem if you're trying to avoid COVID. You can do everything absolutely right but if you have a kid in school then an infection isn't unlikely. Schools could be made very safe but that ship has sailed.

My kid is finishing their second year of remote + homeschooling and it's not great. We constantly question whether we're doing the right thing and really have to do this indefinitely. There are no good choices.

tuyop posted:

yeah I guess that includes not having children or living in an apartment building. awful lot of people for whom sufficient precautions aren’t possible. really do wish we could have done something to keep this from being the case!

Apartment living with shared indoor hallways is another insoluble problem. Don't know what to do about it, if anything even can be done. Everyone in the building taking off their masks isn't helping either.

edit:

Scudworth posted:

OK but the one nurse in that article IS an anomaly who should be studied, and she knows it and signed up for testing for that reason. The article and title is horrible stupid clickbait otherwise, but studying people like that nurse is what they want and need, not the careful and unexposed.

there's definitely a wide variation in immunity, and Bebtelovimab still being effective suggests there are likely some people largely immune to all the COVID variants so far. IIRC the Bebtelovimab antibody was discovered from convalescent plasma, and there might be other similarly effective antibodies in people like this.

Ideally we'd control cases while figuring out how to make better vaccines and treatments based on these kinds of observations. Instead we're allowing the virus as many opportunities as possible to mutate and break through any remaining immunity.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 12:04 on May 9, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

I've thought about this but I keep coming back to the lack of n95s around me. Just glancing around the grocery store should give a basic count? Maybe the true hermits are using instacart.

I'm not sure, i met a neighbor the other day who approached me outdoors w a cloth mask on. turns out her husband has leukemia and they are still "staying safe"

they do a lot of liberal type stuff (one of those "library" boxes, native plantings, raise chickens) so im not sure its because they're uninformed on the matter .. seems like they just got bad info. im a little reluctant to tell them about the need for respirators, as i dont want to insult their intelligence .... Maybe ill head over there in an aura and see if they get the message

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 69 days!

NomChompsky posted:

The Spanish Flu killed almost 7 times more Americans than the First World War did, but is not seen as a more resounding historical event by anyone. Because it affected everyone, and was not a thing perpetrated by humans, but by nature.

In the current climate that may sound crazy but it really is not.

Alfred Crosby mentioned this strange amnesia in "America's Forgotten Pandemic".

It was as if the whole society had simply memory-holed it.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Soap Scum posted:

does anyone else's nose touch the front of their SecureClick (or other half face respirator) when wearing it? I'm trying to keep it loose as possible while passing the negative seal check, but it seems like doing so forces it tight enough that my nose hits the front. to be fair I do have a pretty large nose, sigh

anything I can do about this or do you just get used to it? :(
my nose touches the front of it a bit, yeah. it sucks having a big nose in mask times, my 7502 leaves small cuts on the bridge, the Elipse has dodgy sealing around the sides, the large SecureClick is the only one i've tried that seems safe

smashmyradio posted:

i got covid at the end of january 2022, and i've been exhausted ever since. the last couple of months i've been constantly nauseous and dizzy with occasional fainting, and lost 20lbs for no reason. got blood work this week and i have elevated bilirubin so i guess covid ate my liver lol :coronatoot:
have you been in contact with any dogs recently, it's probably dogs

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Nocturtle posted:

thinking about it, if there turns out to be very delayed long term impacts everyone that got infected by the Omicron wave will have a ~2 year warning as it first starts to impact people infected in the initial wave. Not sure what the social response to that kind of advance warning would look like.

My god, the "I gotta live my life!" would be loving insufferable. I mean, it already is, but moreso

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

I have never played Russian Roulette.

I'm so loving lucky at Russian Roulette.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
im probably right in guessing most office spaces AC's dont have any sort of filter for covid? and lol another dude arrived from amsterdam today and also coughing ⚰️

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i can taste again! I'm gonna eat so much trash today lmao

still testing positive on a rapid test, though. rip

Sep 2, 2011

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

ive never heard someone use "genetic freak" as a pejorative 2bh

i'm not saying they're using it as an insult, i am saying that the concept of acting responsibly, thinking of others, or delaying any gratification is so foreign to them that they think that anyone different from them is some invulnerable superman

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Embrace transhumanism.

The respirator is a prosthetic organ.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Banana Man posted:

Imagine your post being forgotten about instead of ignored

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nocturtle posted:

Apartment living with shared indoor hallways is another insoluble problem. Don't know what to do about it, if anything even can be done. Everyone in the building taking off their masks isn't helping either.

There are 8 apartments with a shared hallway in my building, most of them with children, and I haven't caught COVID yet.

We mask up before exiting, and stuff a draft stop noodle at the base of the door, and it's worked good so far.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
i was working an event last night at which it turns out natgeo was filming a forthcoming disney+ docuseries. the crew wanted to film me talking to students and asked if i could remove my aura to do so. i declined. i would like 3m to sponsor me for the free publicity

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Nocturtle posted:

Despite predictions that COVID cases would be chronically under-reported and unreliable with the rise of at home testing, there's still reasonable correlation between wastewater and case rate data in jurisdictions still reporting both like Massachusetts:
Massachusetts case rates:

Massachusetts wastewater measurements:

Cases are clearly rising in the northeast, but it's not like there's an Omicron spike flying under the radar so far. Looks like the current case rate rise is largely attributable to the growth of BA2.12.1:

Wastewater data is an amazing way to keep track of community case rates, esp compared to the expense of testing thousands of people. In this light its annoying that NYC appears to have stop reporting their data entirely at the end of March. Maybe they catch up, but suspect they cancelled the measurement program and are hoping no-one notices.

this is not reliable but i still 'feel' like there are more people catching covid now in the boston area than there were around the new year, and we've dropped testing tremendously. i continue to wonder how much of the enormous wastewater spike at that time was driven by an animal reservoir in the sewers — omicron burning through the rat population directly into the wastewater, etc.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Man I feel stupid for opting for the half mask instead of full face to go to the med labs this morning. Normally it's dead but today it was a loving clown car of dick nosing surgicals.

I guess if I get it in the next week I will 100% confirm transmission via your eyes.

I mean I understand the odds are extremely low but there was no reason not to grab the full face other than convenience.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Platystemon posted:

Sad!

Many such cases!

feel better soon! :ohdear:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Maybe I'm less doomer than some here, but between the fact you can wear a mask in the halls and you can run a purifier/corsi cube in your apartment (not to mention if you're concerned about the walls, I do believe they make sealant stuff you can put over them to make them airtight? I have a painter friend looking into it for me. But I mean if nothing else, you can also always just go ahead and put duct tape all over the walls and poo poo - not like you have guests over if you're taking this seriously, after all, so who cares how it looks.) I feel like while living in a shared dwelling definitely adds some extra risks that need to be considered, it's by no means a insoluble problem.

Kids, though, yeah. Kids and a job that won't let you wear a proper mask/eye protection are the real 'the situation is out of your hands.' poo poo.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

It's because I still wear my mask and use n95s during surges and gatherings.

There, saved you the investigation dipshits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
i have a kid but i quit my stupid office job to save 1300 a month in childcare costs so i could keep them away from little plague rats. it's not like any daycares actually have openings around here, apparently it's becoming difficult to keep their positions filled and a ton of the places around here are severely overstaffed with year+ waitlists lmao i wonder why that could be lol