Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Nice! The CB350/4 has become so rare as to be practically nonexistent. I don't even see 350/2's for sale anymore....cafe craze ate them all up.

Honda V4 is fantastic in either the chain driven or gear driven versions, but having that 30 year old rack of four carbs means you'll want to know what you're getting into. Any carb rack that has not been completely rebuilt including the between-carb o rings will leak like a sieve at some point and you'll wind up chasing leaks instead of riding. You'll become hyper sensitive to the smell of fuel. It's the reason why Honda V4 bikes are usually cheap, nobody wants to work on them so nobody has worked on them. That's for the next owner!

Sweet spot is the 98-01 VFR800 which has both reliable FI and gear driven cams. IIRC it's the only Honda V4 with this combo.

That is a sweet motor married to a sweet chassis and a good degree of no-bullshit design by Honda standards, you only need delete the linked brakes to get a brilliant bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Immerse yourself in this extreme dad energy

-disassembled goldwing
-glass of wine
-printed manual held together with 90 degree aluminum angles and c-clamps

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

-Tire worn to the quick, because there's nothing fun about cracking open your wallet

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This guy gets it

To be fair, its torn apart to get the rear wheel off and replace the tire

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Immerse yourself in this extreme dad energy

-disassembled goldwing
-glass of wine
-printed manual held together with 90 degree aluminum angles and c-clamps

The manual being both more effort and worse than just using a pdf is extremely dad yeah

It's like the shortcut that takes twice as long cause it makes dad feel like he has hidden street knowledge

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pdfs have their upsides, to be sure. If they're fully ocr'ed and searchable and have a table of contents that works on your device's pdf reader app, they're pretty decent to use.

If they're not, imagine trying to scroll through a 3000 page Mazda manual on your phone trying to visually spot the section about suspension, hidden between the 2000 page section on troubleshooting the diagnostic codes and the other 1000 pg section on troubleshooting the diagnostic codes, and then go hammer a nail through your foot because that's honestly more fun

Books are always skimmable and you don't have to keep unlocking it when you look away for ten minutes and if you get the page filthy it's not like you use the book in every other aspect of your life too

On the downside, it's a lot tougher to warez a book

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

KTM's nice and gives you the PDF with searchable pages and working links when you buy the book (cause they know you'll need it :D)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Is a real service manual worth $40? Somebody on the 919 forum has a couple for sale. I already have the PDF

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I vastly prefer printed OEM service manuals. Last time I bought one it was over $50 but well worth it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I vastly prefer printed OEM service manuals.

The only kind of manual that's better than google, also the only kind of manual worth spending actual currency on.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I keep printed and pdfs around.

Printed is handy to have on the bench because its battery never dies and it doesn't care if your fingers are filthy within reason.
Touchscreens and keyboards tend to mind.

a pdf on your phone is splendid for traveling with when things go wrong. If you don't own American or European you can ignore this advice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phy posted:

Pdfs have their upsides, to be sure. If they're fully ocr'ed and searchable and have a table of contents that works on your device's pdf reader app, they're pretty decent to use.

If they're not, imagine trying to scroll through a 3000 page Mazda manual on your phone trying to visually spot the section about suspension, hidden between the 2000 page section on troubleshooting the diagnostic codes and the other 1000 pg section on troubleshooting the diagnostic codes, and then go hammer a nail through your foot because that's honestly more fun

Books are always skimmable and you don't have to keep unlocking it when you look away for ten minutes and if you get the page filthy it's not like you use the book in every other aspect of your life too

On the downside, it's a lot tougher to warez a book

Yeah it’s all of this.

Also the goldwing manual was scanned long enough ago that it probably wouldn’t OCR reliably anyway.

I have a rugged windows 10 tablet I use for google searches and YouTube tutorials in the garage, but for manuals I like paper

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Near as I can tell the 2020 Triumph T120's FSM is only available in digital format, through an $8/month subscription, in a bespoke web presentation format that doesn't let you print pages to take outside, because intellectual property.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Printscreen and a lot of patience an option?

Probably someone with a bit of programming experience can even automate that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remy Marathe posted:

Near as I can tell the 2020 Triumph T120's FSM is only available in digital format, through an $8/month subscription, in a bespoke web presentation format that doesn't let you print pages to take outside, because intellectual property.

What.

Someone should rip that to PDF on principle alone.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tesla doesn't publish or provide service manuals for their vehicles -- except in Massachusetts, where there is a state right-to-repair law that requires that automotive manuals be made available to anyone who asks. The company is still allowed to charge for them, though.

So in Massachusetts, if you own a Tesla, you can sign up for a system where they will provide you with individual sections of the manual that you request in an online viewer...and they charge you to look at them on an hourly basis. :jeb:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Tesla doesn't publish or provide service manuals for their vehicles -- except in Massachusetts, where there is a state right-to-repair law that requires that automotive manuals be made available to anyone who asks. The company is still allowed to charge for them, though.

So in Massachusetts, if you own a Tesla, you can sign up for a system where they will provide you with individual sections of the manual that you request in an online viewer...and they charge you to look at them on an hourly basis. :jeb:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What.

Someone should rip that to PDF on principle alone.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

A screengrab process of everything in the Triumph's manual looks way too tedious for my blood, and I have painstakingly digitized and applied metadata for every single tape cassette, vinyl album and photo I owned.

Stealing it properly's over this computer janitor's head, so my current plan is to turn the subscription on and off as I need it, and the months where I subscribe I will screengrab and write tables for everything I end up referencing to my Gsheet for the T120.

vvv just a cursory search on TriumphRat.com without luck; I haven't identified the cranky old fountain of wisdom for Triumphs yet.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 7, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I assume you’ve checked the owners’ forums? I’ve had good luck for all my bikes that way. Rarely the full FSM, but I’ve always found spec sheets and model-specific fiddly jobs. Someone even made a DR650 app with a bunch of that stuff, it’s great to have on a tablet. I can see newer Triumphs being harder to find that way. Your forum’s resident old guy is always a good place to start.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just laughing at the idea of an app to understand a motorcycle considerably simpler than an app

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Just laughing at the idea of an app to understand a motorcycle considerably simpler than an app

Yeaaahhh but I can’t memorize that many torque values and valve clearances and also the average person is mechanically a Neanderthal.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh boy here comes Slavvy to tell you that torque figures are all bullshit for weenies and you can totally just do it all by feel, and yeah I do have 20 years of experience as a professional mechanic but I don't see how that's relevant

ilu man

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You just don't need them for oil changes and stuff!!!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

You just don't need them for oil changes and stuff!!!

yeah seventeen ugga-duggas il dooo er' :grin:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I guess what gets me is the person who made the app in the first place. You have a dr650, you also know how to make an app. Surely, surely if you're that clever it's easier to just learn the DR's foibles by heart than coding an entire app. Or am I severely overestimating apps?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Well they presumably have coded so much that they think it's really easy, and would flip you poo poo for overthinking it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah I think it was just one of the enthusiasts with skills and time on their hands. A rare example of altruism.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Oh boy here comes Slavvy to tell you that torque figures are all bullshit for weenies and you can totally just do it all by feel, and yeah I do have 20 years of experience as a professional mechanic but I don't see how that's relevant

ilu man

The last track day I went to I didn't bring my tools because I was told there would be plenty! There weren't, and I had to adjust my chain. I tightened the rear axle by feel, and nothing went wrong. :unsmith:

Yesterday, I wanted to recheck my chain because after I cleaned it I noticed the rear seemed slightly out of alignment (disc rubbing). Before I loosened the axle, I thought I'd just check it with my torque wrench. I didn't count, but at least 360˚ of rotation before it clicked :smith:

Slavvy posted:

I guess what gets me is the person who made the app in the first place. You have a dr650, you also know how to make an app. Surely, surely if you're that clever it's easier to just learn the DR's foibles by heart than coding an entire app. Or am I severely overestimating apps?

How easy it is to program something really depends on the breadth and maturity of the environment. I don't know about nowadays, but ~15 years ago on macOS you could "develop" a web browser with just a few lines of code. Obviously it was a poo poo browser, but still. I don't know what that DR650 app is, but it's probably fairly trivial to make. I'll caveat that all by saying I am not a software developer.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Alls I know is it’s nice to have that app when I set my chain slack.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

One of you dads should buy this oldwing:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/529782121926348/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

God I can feel the magnetic pull of it from here

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My Oldwing brings all the dads to the yard
And they're like, it's cleaner than yours

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I love that "preserve nature" is the first bullet point.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Cycle Asylum › DADBIKE - God I can feel the magnetic pull of it from here

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would fly n ride for that bike if it wasn’t on a different continent

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It is in lovely condition isn't it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

GL1200 has a six digit odo so it's probably correct. Fun fact about the GL1000 and 1100: only a 5 digit odo. Does the bike have 20k miles, 120k miles, 220k miles? Who knows.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Gorson posted:

GL1200 has a six digit odo so it's probably correct.

The alternative is 1,024,000 miles on the odo....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Steakandchips posted:

The alternative is 1,024,000 miles on the odo....