Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kill me now posted:

BMW has a significant portfolio of very good green paints.

God, they really do

https://visualizer.bmw-individual.com/Ipps/bmwoac?page=imc&market=80001-DE&dc=1-5&qrcode=1&pdf=1&lang=EN#top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I wish I paid better attention in college. :smith:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Wow Orinco Pearl is absolutely stunning. Has anyone ever seen one?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fyallm posted:

Wow Orinco Pearl is absolutely stunning. Has anyone ever seen one?

Looks more blue to me though

https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/03/17/bmw-6-series-coupe-orinoco-metallic-one-kind/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Full Collapse posted:

Only like $18K to go on my $730/mo student loans 😩

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sab669 posted:

Only like $18K to go on my $730/mo student loans 😩

Imma make you Real Mad. I went to college for free.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Full Collapse posted:

You don’t have to make that much money. Just work at a BMW dealership and get the sick employee lease deals.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I dropped out because I was a terrible student

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Lol I didn't even go to college and grew up super poor, I still feel like I don't deserve my M2C.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Oh dang, was hoping it was almost blaCk with a hint of green

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fyallm posted:

Oh dang, was hoping it was almost blaCk with a hint of green

Can I interest you in Ruby Black Metallic?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Full Collapse posted:

Imma make you Real Mad. I went to college for free.

That shouldn't make people mad. Everyone should go for free and I'm happy that you did :)

Also that green is great.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Full Collapse posted:

more attention*

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KillHour posted:

Can I interest you in Ruby Black Metallic?

:( too burgundy for my taste.. that green locked like perfection.. im sad now

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fyallm posted:

:( too burgundy for my taste.. that green locked like perfection.. im sad now

The good news is they will make any color you want (within reason) for 10 grand. Most of the other colors on there are colors customers paid to have made for them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If it's a new color, who gets to name it?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

There are some very :mad: opinions about the big grill and I was one of them but I can say that in person they are much less offensive. The interior and performance are so insane compared to my E90 that i can somehow get over its pug face.

My friend took me out in his RWD M4 Competition. It was extremely good and holy poo poo levels of fast.

The green is so good in full daylight. The car is enormous for a coupe and there are angles that it still looks like a german Mustang.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The M4 nose is growing on me, because they at least made the rest of the front interesting to play off of it. The giant pig noses on the bigger cars will never look good to me. The 7 series and SUVs look like trash.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Pig nose is for the boys with the big hogs

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Oh my gosh that blue E90 sedan looks amazing. Six months into Alfa ownership and I can say I miss driving a manual, a lot.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Oh my gosh that blue E90 sedan looks amazing. Six months into Alfa ownership and I can say I miss driving a manual, a lot.

This m440 automatic sucks driving, so boring. My2 stick is miles more fun

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

fyallm posted:

This m440 automatic sucks driving, so boring. My2 stick is miles more fun

I assume ZF 8sp? The one in mine is just interesting enough to shift manually that I’ll be fine for the next few years.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

There are some very :mad: opinions about the big grill and I was one of them but I can say that in person they are much less offensive. The interior and performance are so insane compared to my E90 that i can somehow get over its pug face.

My friend took me out in his RWD M4 Competition. It was extremely good and holy poo poo levels of fast.

The green is so good in full daylight. The car is enormous for a coupe and there are angles that it still looks like a german Mustang.

That photo back to back with the E90 is crazy good at showing just how big the 4 series has gotten. A quick glance without noticing the back doors and I had assumed I was looking at an E82.

Makes me feeling like buying an M2 is probably the right path forward.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

It's interesting how much longer the M4 looks than the e90 M3 due to the design, despite only being 4-5% longer (7-8 inches). And lower, considering it's only a 1" difference.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

TheBacon posted:

After disassembling and replacing a significant chunk of N52 this weekend, I do not ever want to replace a water pump or thermostat housing again, I will absolutely pay someone to deal with those gently caress off hoses behind a subframe you can’t even see what you are trying to jam on.

But we had fun!

Also, the other lesson we learned is that xdrive makes everything harder and maybe we can do without it.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

Preventative or did yours fail? I have this repair already mentally noted as a shop fix.

I think what really made it harder was 1) xdrive and 2) I bought a coated hose from ECS thinking "heck, this may be better!" - all of the OEM spec hoses just slid right on.

We went in after the starter, replaced that, did the 3SIM, replaced the radiator with a CSF, OFHG, water pump, t stat, upper and lower radiator hoses, and the hose between t stat and water pump.

Was a decent bit of work, and we paid some tuition learning wtf. Having two sets of hands really really helped.

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Moved on from my FiST. 2018 M240 with 8k miles. Having a blast and just bm3’d stage 1. The B58 is sooo good and flat.

Still has the plastic on the dummy pedal.

Coworkers new car. Wasn’t sure on the green but it’s sharp in person.

micron fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 5, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

why are my tires like this after 20k miles. what have i done to deserve this

these are pilot sport a/s 3+...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
They're warranted for 45k miles but I doubt that you can claim. You can try, though!

I kind of assume you drive somewhat BMWishly in :wrongcity: so I would not expect great tire life.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

I think what really made it harder was 1) xdrive and 2) I bought a coated hose from ECS thinking "heck, this may be better!" - all of the OEM spec hoses just slid right on.

We went in after the starter, replaced that, did the 3SIM, replaced the radiator with a CSF, OFHG, water pump, t stat, upper and lower radiator hoses, and the hose between t stat and water pump.

Was a decent bit of work, and we paid some tuition learning wtf. Having two sets of hands really really helped.

Nice work.

I've been putting off my 3sim install, there are a few parts (crispy PCV-y kinda ones) I still need to collect to make it worthwhile. Plus, I think my OFHG is leaking (even though PO had it replaced not that long ago.)

Who are you going with for the coding? I'm tempted to DIY it with the bimmerlabs files, but I'm not super keen on bricking my car either.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I did Bimmerlabs and bought the Bimmer Geeks cable. Once I got the computer to connect with the car, it was ez pz. Craig Beamer covers it real well here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkBg9VEcHxQ&t=126s

Also, the Auto Hut dude has a good video as well.

I'm pleased with the results. The car is much more alert/responsive. At this point, I'll do MILVs and a tune and be done on performance. After that I'll shift my attention to wheels/tires/brakes/QoL stuff.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

why are my tires like this after 20k miles. what have i done to deserve this

these are pilot sport a/s 3+...

All we can do is really guess here, but LF was probably pretty overinflated and you might want to take a look at your rear alignment and bushings. I'm guessing LR has more camber than RR and your static alignment has more toe than expected, or you've got worn bushings allowing dynamic toe

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

micron posted:

Moved on from my FiST. 2018 M240 with 8k miles. Having a blast and just bm3’d stage 1. The B58 is sooo good and flat.

:sigh: My old neighborhood.

Nice looking M240!

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

:sigh: My old neighborhood.

Nice looking M240!

Thanks! I’m about to flash the trans with xHp now. It’s funny how fast the gains in a car become normal and the need for more.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

I did Bimmerlabs and bought the Bimmer Geeks cable. Once I got the computer to connect with the car, it was ez pz.

Excellent to hear. What had tripped me up, and I'm realizing it's probably a non-issue is when I looked into this months ago, I saw this [bolded] line in the [bimmerlabs] install instructions:

bimmerlabs posted:

Bimmergeeks has a nice download for this as well (note: if you download from them, skip the step where it asks you to delete the folders). You will also need SP-Daten files in order to load the appropriate *.prg and *.ipo files for flashing (if you didn't use the Bimmergeeks download).

I'm nearly certain when I instaled INPA and Rheingold from the mega downloads linked on BGeeks, I followed the instructions to a t, which would have those folders deleted. That said, INPA and ISTA both work, as well as the NCS twins and kfp and on... I'm probably fine, just have been low on bandwidth to parse whether I should be worried.

Elite Taco posted:

QoL stuff.

Did you ever post pics of your car?

Oh man, I'm in the middle of QoL stuff. Mine wasn't the most highly specced of cars, so time to rectify that a little. I've already done the transition to a autodimming/homelink mirror and Xenons (after roasting a ballast because I didn't change the VO from halogen, so the FRM kept sending a PWM signal to the ballasts. Ballasts don't like that. Ever wonder why Munich went through all the hassle to light off halogen bulbs via PWM signal? Why to help them all be the same intensity of course! Because luxury. I guess).

Last weekend I had the entire trim from the c pillars back stripped in my e91 chasing a squeak. It's BETTER, but I still haven't found it. loving infuriating.

I also had a thing with the awd binding around low speed corners, Xdelete has resolved that for now, fingers crossed a t case fluid swap and relearn gets them clutches releasing.

Next one, on top of 3SIM, is power fold side mirrors which looks to be kind of a PITA, I need to get a wire from the passenger door to the driver footwell. Oof.

All that said, 99.5k miles on it, nearly 7k since pearl harbor day. I was in an accident that kicked the poo poo out of the passenger side doors, but not a speck of the unibody. Their insurance paid me $3600, on a car I bought for $5k. I already have a paint matched rear door installed, so you can barely tell, the front is serviceable, but needs replaced. I think I'm starting to like this thing, and might wind up keeping it.

E: oh yea, hatch wiring and resolving the panoramic sunroof binding when vented.
E2: oh yeah oh yeah, swapping out a lovely aftermarket alternator's voltage monitor that was taking out the entire BSD bus. I can finally check my oil level.
E3: Right, the rear lower ball joints on the camber arm. That wasn't so bad, I turned tools on the lathe and used threaded studs from a mill clamp set for those.
E4:JFC, this sounds like a shitload of work when it's all typed out. I guess the thing was $5k for a reason.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Do the voltage regulator when you have the intake manifold off the car. It's super easy. Also, replace the starter when you do the manifold, along with the OFHG, no sense pulling the manifold twice.

Another good thing to do while the manifold is off is the main ground strap.

Just loving do the things you can now reach on the right side of the motor lmao.

I doubt I've posted pics of my car ITT, but I'll get around to it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I've been loving my E91 since I got it a month ago. It's not fun to drive but I'm really enjoying driving it, aside from all the inconveniences that come with driving a 14 year old car. I've still been getting BAT / C&B / Autotrader notifications for E91s and F31s since I was car shopping last month and a '19 Estoril Blue 330xi just popped up with the M Sport pack and drat it I want it. My biggest concern though is that it has an accident on the title, showing both front & rear damage as "minor damage" from carfax. But my FoRS had "minor damage" and with how many problems that thing had I'm extremely reluctant to buy something else with an accident on the title :thunk:

I initially got the E91 just to tide me over until I could get a GR Corolla, but like I said I'm actually really loving just having a chill comfy cruiser after a decade of low profile tires and stiff rear end suspension. I've been straying away from the idea of trying to get the Corolla just because I don't super want a third hot hatch in a row. Maybe I should just be patient and wait for an F31 without an accident, but man a great color + great option list + last model year + low miles is mega tempting :negative:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

glyph posted:

Did you ever post pics of your car?

Here you go:

Here's what her guts look like:

I bought this car for $7k in Feb of 2021 and I have absolutely loved it. What a great car.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Well I was wondering what the first thing to go wrong with my 320i was, and at 4.5 years old with 50,000 miles on it I now have my answer.

Can you guess what it was?

God
drat
Cooling
System

Glad to see BMW is staying true to form even with the new models. I was losing a bit under 100ml of coolant a week. There was a shitload of dried coolant under the expansion tank cap, and googling suggested this was pretty common. I decided to risk the princely sum of £17.90 and just replace the cap and see what happens, and that has solved the issue entirely.

May all issues be so easy to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

Here you go:

Here's what her guts look like:

I bought this car for $7k in Feb of 2021 and I have absolutely loved it. What a great car.

Thanks.

I love the interior on yours. My e61 is close to that, schwartz2 and natural dakota. I'd love a little more something in the interior of my e91, the sensatec black manual sport seats are a little... uninspiring. Maybe some brushed aluminum trim to brighten things up will help. The wood is pretty drat dark.

Did you add the euro airbox, or did the PO do that?

E: Somehow I managed to hit the perfectly imperfect FCP euro order saturday night. (Free shipping kicks in at $50).

glyph fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 9, 2022