Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Or you just run past everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bethesda never learnt the lesson that maybe their premade classes with five different weapon types as major skills don’t mesh well with their character progression system

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Solution: remove different weapon types!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jay Rust posted:

Well gently caress looks like I’m playing daggerfall

From what I’ve seen, it’s a very cool, ambitious, ahead of it’s time, and frequently frustrating game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Solution: remove different weapon types!

honestly, there's no real reason to have separate skills for each weapon beyond the joy of having numbers

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Schwarzwald posted:

honestly, there's no real reason to have separate skills for each weapon beyond the joy of having numbers

Blasphemy

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Schwarzwald posted:

Say that to my loving face

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

mbt posted:

did you know nexusmod authors can ban specific accounts from downloading their mods? I cant think of anything more petty and useless lol
This made me laugh out loud for a bit. Thank you for the laugh ahha! It would be so fitting, and I feel Nexus is a weirdly gatekeepery website to begin with. gxd, I love how the modding community exists and its lovely nature.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Schwarzwald posted:

The joy of having numbers is a core part of the experience for me, so I technically agree.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ideally the weapon types would have better mechanical differences. Blunt worse damage but better vs armour, long blade best damage but poor armour piercing, short blade easily concealable but inferior against most, etc. Give me my numbers and my verisimilitude or give me death.

My genius system would also give more reason for combat-heavy characters to specialize in multiple weapons like a stock class. The thief carries a dagger as a last resort, the warrior has four weapons tailored to each opponent.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rinkles posted:

From what I’ve seen, it’s a very cool, ambitious, ahead of it’s time, and frequently frustrating game.

I actually prefer Arena I think, because in some ways it is actually more diverse and ambitious, what with having the entire continent.

Everything else listed applies to it as well.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Daggerfall clicked for me when I realized it was much more of a rogue like than the later bespoke game worlds.

Also either play spell sword, the only consistently good premade in every game, or make a custom class.

I ended up modding even DU because in vanilla only plate has material types for armor: so if you are playing a spell sword, Thief, etc, you'll be wearing one kind of armor the whole game.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Or, just use plate. There's nothing at all preventing you from choosing plate on your custom because as far as I can tell the only drawback to it is weight and you can work around that. It doesn't preclude you from casting spells or sneaking

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Yeah there's literally no reason not to ban leather and chain at char creation. I'd add orcish to that list due to drop rate but it looks too cool not to wear. Adamantium and silver are good drops though for sure.

Actually what's everyone's go to disadvantages? I feel like they rarely get discussed compared to advantages. I like lowered magic ability in daylight since the most casting I do generally outside a dungeon is setting anchors.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Actually what's everyone's go to disadvantages? I feel like they rarely get discussed compared to advantages. I like lowered magic ability in daylight since the most casting I do generally outside a dungeon is setting anchors.
Ooo, that's clever.

I don't really have a list, as I've never spent much time with Daggerfall. Really ought to take a week to dive into Daggerfall Unity sometime.

The friend who introduced me to Morrowind always swore by, if I remember it right, taking a Critical Weakness to Paralysis on a High Elf.

Unsure how well it applies to Daggerfall, but I'm always very amused by Rutskarn's Battlespire build:

Ruts vs. Battlespire CH1: Body By Bethesda posted:

I should probably spend some of these points, shouldn’t I? Why don’t I become immune to something?

Why don’t I become immune to everything?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

You can do that in OG daggerfall actually. If you take immunity to magic you can take critical weakness to everything else and the magic immunity covers it. They fixed it in unity along with the worst of the high elf shenanigans. You can still take critical weakness to paralysis but it'll just make you normally resistant to it, rather than having the immunity still.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
High Elves are immune to paralysis so crit weakness is basically free points, but I think Unity fixed that bug. But crit weakness paralysis is a pretty easy thing to take if you have any magic since you can cast free action while paralyzed.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, Unity fixed that exploit (also "immunity" is now 50% resistance). So if you take both, they cancel each other out

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I installed a daggerfall mod that adds roads between settlements and turns the fast travel into "run to the destination, in-engine, in fast forward". It's very impressive how huge the game world is, and how there's absolutely nothing to see. But it does simulate the fact that Yeah, 11 days straight of horse riding sucks

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I can't help but feel like today, probably in DU, one could theoretically code in maybe 20 or 30 template location types for the empty between. Like, abandoned shack, wizard spire, tavern, active farmhouse, bandit camp, etc. And then maybe a bunch of rarer encounters, like with fellow travelers etc. And it would be completely reformed as an element of Daggerfall. I know this is feature dreaming rather than the awkward horrible reality of coding them but I just feel it would be, relatively little compared to the dividends. I don't know. All I know is when you leave the cities of Arena, you end up in an endless flat of canals, fences and odd buildings populated by enemies and it kind of was enough to feel there was a world out there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Broke my leg and can't go back to work for another week, and just got around to reinstalling Morrowind again today. This time with YAJAN on Wabbajack and hot drat it was easy and seems stable.

Now I'm just debating if I want to recreate one of my headcanon nerevarines from my teen years or roll a rando.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Make the head cannon neravarine of now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

skulgun neravarine

"i vanted SCUTTLE. it gave me nix hound chops"

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

I played with this mod list a while back and honestly I can't recommend it. Lots of changes that make the game a slog to play (fatigue draining from running, really slow magic regen, reduced carry weight). And it might have possibly been from mistakes on my part or just how Oblivion fundamentally works but my experience is that it wasn't terribly stable either which was a big disappointment because I remember it getting recommended as Viva New Vegas but for Oblivion.

i installed this and played through vilverin (the ruin opposite the tutorial sewer) and it seemed OK - admittedly I specced into strength and endurance but the fatigue and carry weight changes didn't seem too annoying. combat was ok too. my issue with a lot of these mods is that while they've identified correctly that the combat is probably not challenging enough, they can only really mess with stats in order to make it harder, which just throws into sharp relief the really dodgy combat mechanics (animations, hitboxes, the input lag, the weird skaty way that everyone including you moves around). on the whole, doesn't seem to be too ambitious which is probably good.

it did make me realise that while oblivion is my favourite ES game (the first one I played, and I do think some of the quests and characters are really charming), i have no interest in playing it again really. i think i saw every single thing the game, and a good portion of the mods, had to offer when i was a teenager and now i'm absolutely done. it's a shame - they added diagonal walking animations and non-hosed faces since I last played properly!

there are a few quest mods i'd kind of like to play like the lost spires, but I tried putting together an install a couple of years ago and eventually gave up because it got too crashy. that modlist is probably a good base to build off though; I think it's very wise in saying that if you push the game too hard it's just going to crash on you or look weirdly inconsistent. anything that adds *too much poo poo* to a cell like open cities or better cities imperial waterfront is also a stability nightmare.

I did discover this while poking around the nexus though. It... kind of improves performance? I think? Maybe it's just that enabling it disabled vsync: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/51989

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Generic Monk posted:

I did discover this while poking around the nexus though. It... kind of improves performance? I think? Maybe it's just that enabling it disabled vsync: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/51989

DXVK helps with performance, but it doesn't fix the engine chugging when loading new chunks of the map. There's still plenty of stutter, and the fps still plummets in combat with multiple actors. It also has weird visual quirks when used with older versions of Oblivion Reloaded.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'm gonna shoot every oblivion poster with a giant bazooka

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

mbt posted:

Joke's on you, they're level-scaled.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mbt posted:

This is the part where you fall down and bleed to death!!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I've updated Deadly Combat Exhaustion for the final time to include the over-encumbered.

What Deadly Combat Exhaustion does:
"When an actor is out of stamina, or paralyzed, or over-encumbered, all attacks upon them will land 100% of the time."

Requires MWSE.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Finally finished my Shipwreck Interior Overhaul Mod I started a year ago while obviously unemployed and thought I'd have plenty of time to detail like 50 god damned interiors.
Vanilla shipwrecks are easily the blandest locations in the game, moderate risk for often zero reward. Especially compared to modern overhaul mods for other types of dungeons.

Get Wrecked - Shipwreck Overhaul

Does not fix swimming in Morrowind being fundamentally a bit poo poo.
Compatibility patches for RR Better Ships & Boats, and Uncharted Artifacts, basically the only other significant mods which have touched a shipwreck ever, are available.
Requires OAAB_Data and Tamriel_Data. Item variety!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

That's definitely going on the list for my next replay. Looks awesome!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cerebulon posted:

Finally finished my Shipwreck Interior Overhaul Mod I started a year ago while obviously unemployed and thought I'd have plenty of time to detail like 50 god damned interiors.
Vanilla shipwrecks are easily the blandest locations in the game, moderate risk for often zero reward. Especially compared to modern overhaul mods for other types of dungeons.

Compatibility patches for RR Better Ships & Boats, and Uncharted Artifacts, basically the only other significant mods which have touched a shipwreck ever, are available.

You might also need a compatibility patch for whatever alternate start mod it is that has you start drowning in a wreck off Azura’s Coast.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That's a fun start if you use Ashfall. Just running nude and starving into the wilderness of Vvardenfell's rear end.

Iirc the nearest land also has a skeleton patrolling a tomb door, so you have to punch that fucker out.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*

Arivia posted:

You might also need a compatibility patch for whatever alternate start mod it is that has you start drowning in a wreck off Azura’s Coast.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know which mod that is specifically so I can check if it modifies the same cells in conflicting ways?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think this is the most up to date version https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44110

There's actually two shipwreck starts, looks like.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 16, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
This is just the alternative start locations without the character stat generation changes: https://mw.modhistory.com/download-90-6583

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cerebulon posted:

this looks incredible. you should join tr and make interiors lol

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think this is the most up to date version https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44110

There's actually two shipwreck starts, looks like.

this is the version i always use, because it includes TR, PC, and SHotN https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44615

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*

Tested it out, there's no issue with collision at the point where it spawns you with the drowning start, so no conflict. The other one places you outside of the wreck anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Sorry to corner you on SA mort, but apparently Stealth Improved is causing weird crashes for people.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49614?tab=posts

I don't think I've encountered this one, but I rarely check my MWSE log these days lol