Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Thundarr posted:

It just kinda makes me wonder what the point of Guard even is, if I can't use it to save myself when I'm low and all using it when I'm high accomplishes is briefly annoying the other team. No attacks are telegraphed so it isn't like I can use it in reaction to an incoming attack. Other than DRG LB maybe.

If you use Guard when you’re almost low you might as well not be using it as people have mentioned.

One way that is an excellent use of Guard is to stop a Crystal push. If your team is right behind you go ahead and hide behind a corner or find out where you can jump into the Crystal and guard ASAP. This will make it so your team then catches up and other members then stop Crystal push and you can fall back as need be. This is super helpful because a lot of PvP matches can come down to overtime and whoever is in the chaser spot has a much, much tougher time of getting the win because they always need a man in the Crystal.

Use guard aggressively. It’s really meant as a deterrent more than it is to stop you from dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Venuz Patrol posted:

there's a few attacks with very long animations that snapshot the amount of damage they'll do early but don't show the number or deplete hp until a few seconds later. if you guard between the snapshot and the damage actually appearing, it'll still deal full damage

Bard's basic attack seems to do this as well. it can hit at distances and around corners greater than the half a second sidecasting would account for. Except when it doesn't and decides to cancel because the target glanced at a sight-blocking obstacle.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I’ve mentioned previously that guard can also be useful in stalling for cooldowns. I don’t know if it’s the best use of it, but having it up for the last two or three seconds or so before a burst combo cools down and becomes available again can keep you alive long enough to use it.

Maybe at higher levels of play it doesn’t work as well, but that’s what I’ve sometimes used it for in bronze/silver.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

HackensackBackpack posted:

I’ve mentioned previously that guard can also be useful in stalling for cooldowns. I don’t know if it’s the best use of it, but having it up for the last two or three seconds or so before a burst combo cools down and becomes available again can keep you alive long enough to use it.

Maybe at higher levels of play it doesn’t work as well, but that’s what I’ve sometimes used it for in bronze/silver.

I use guard to stall only if it'll get me another elusive jump. the movespeed reduction on guard means you'll often be out of position compared to the rest of the team if you let it run for the full durations, and smart players will specifically focus players coming out of guard because they know it won't be ready for another 30 seconds. if you aren't ready to get out with a reposition immediately after guard finishes you'll be in danger

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I wouldn't mind if they got rid of Guard since I'm real bad at using it.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I tried CC for the first time yesterday and figured out I'm real bad at DRG after half a dozen games, then I switched to WHM for a game and we won on the first push with 0 deaths since I kept this suicidal BRD alive and my team won via having no deaths while our opponents fell apart. Still only got #2 in healing compared to the enemy WAR though.

I should just stick to being healer like I did for Frontline and feast. Focusing on party menus is a lot easier than picking out a target based on positioning.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just finished a NG+ of 2.0 and, after the 5.3 and 6.1 changes, I think the only part of it that doesn't really hold up is Hydaelyn and Lahabrea. Unfortunately, a low-ambition rewrite isn't really capable of fixing them either because both of them are >50% voiced lines

I think what trips up a lot of people is that 2.0 isn't structured as a cohesive narrative. It's structured instead like a series of short stories. Each one has self-contained stakes and for the most part characters as well. Like Y'shtola might as well not be a character outside of the Titan arc unless you started in Limsa, and that isn't really unique to her. But if you sort of accept the structure, I think all of the individual vignettes work pretty well and are reasonably well told

Lahabrea is just, not a good villain though. It's unfortunate because I think Gaius does work really well as a villain in 2.0

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Pro Crystalline Conflict tip: if your whole team decides to dogpile the enemy AST right at round start, and you don't manage to kill them in a single burst, maybe don't try to pursue them all the way back to their spawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9LdJyuWS9g

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
It's cool that different jobs have different idle poses

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Consummate Professional posted:

It's cool that different jobs have different idle poses

It is however bullshit that they're gender locked

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mainwaring posted:

It is however bullshit that they're gender locked

Give me the female DRK and DRG poses, SE.

Venuz Patrol posted:

I use guard to stall only if it'll get me another elusive jump. the movespeed reduction on guard means you'll often be out of position compared to the rest of the team if you let it run for the full durations, and smart players will specifically focus players coming out of guard because they know it won't be ready for another 30 seconds. if you aren't ready to get out with a reposition immediately after guard finishes you'll be in danger

So, not a habit to get into then. That makes sense that someone just out of guard would be more vulnerable. Good to know, and something to keep in mind for my own games.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

cheetah7071 posted:

I just finished a NG+ of 2.0 and, after the 5.3 and 6.1 changes, I think the only part of it that doesn't really hold up is Hydaelyn and Lahabrea. Unfortunately, a low-ambition rewrite isn't really capable of fixing them either because both of them are >50% voiced lines

I think what trips up a lot of people is that 2.0 isn't structured as a cohesive narrative. It's structured instead like a series of short stories. Each one has self-contained stakes and for the most part characters as well. Like Y'shtola might as well not be a character outside of the Titan arc unless you started in Limsa, and that isn't really unique to her. But if you sort of accept the structure, I think all of the individual vignettes work pretty well and are reasonably well told

Lahabrea is just, not a good villain though. It's unfortunate because I think Gaius does work really well as a villain in 2.0

I think Lahabrea is kind of like Minfilia in that they're victims of 1.0 carryover.

There wasn't really a plan for the Ascians at that point other than "mysterious bad guys who gently caress poo poo up for no apparent reason."

That was why they had to make mention of the fact that Lahabrea had huffed too many bodyswap fumes and that's why he was such a dumbass compared to the others in light of their stated goals, because it was the only way to make him "work" once YoshiP and co. had gotten their footing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

cheetah7071 posted:

The ARR story does a really bad job of making you invested in the Scions as a group. They're present for a short period of the game, barely try to help you when they are, and usually gently caress up when they do (Thancred at least gains some characterisation from his mistakes). It's a one-sided relationship where they point you at deadly dangers and you kill/survive them. The only compensation you get is being able to hire retainers, who you still have to pay. The second task you're given is presented as "join the military of a city state so you actually have some backup in the field" (so much for being an "apolitical" group).

Gaius is such a ridiculous showman. He's great.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
YoshiP just put up a post on the Lodestone Regarding Third-party Tools. The second paragraph was this:

quote:

Please note this will be a lengthy post containing difficult technical terminology, and may not be of interest to the average player. Moreover, this announcement is meant to be read in its entirety, so I ask that you please refrain from sharing excerpts of this text out of context.

As such, I'm not going to paraphrase anything and just quote a few notable paragraphs. I suggest you read the whole thing if you're interested, especially if you use mods and such yourself.

quote:

We have received requests from players asking that we define what tools are and aren’t permissible, but to do so would require an assessment of all third-party tools available on the internet, as well as all gaming devices and their functionality. Unfortunately, such an undertaking is physically impossible, which is why we decided to simply prohibit the use of all third-party tools and software.

By the same token, it is impossible for us to check what programs are installed on every player’s PC. This is why we cannot identify and reprimand offenders 100% of the time. To offer more clarity on our process, here are a few examples of the rule violations we prioritize for investigation:
  • Use of tools that allow players to more easily complete content.
  • Modification of the UI to display additional information.*
  • Use of packet spoofing tools.
  • Any actions or public statements that promote use of third-party tools.

quote:

Hacks are alterations of a program that can allow for otherwise impossible things to happen. For FFXIV, which relies on server-client communication, hacking is much more difficult than in other online games. Moreover, our security measures are being improved upon constantly, and we will continue to bolster them in the future. Supplementary tools known as “mods,” however, can do a number of things, such as display additional information sent by the FFXIV servers on screen, or send false packet information to change the location of characters. In the case of the latter, we have systems in place to automatically check and inspect system logs, allowing us to immediately take action against cheaters when discovered.

In short, the use of such tools will not allow players to automatically clear high-end content, yet carries a high risk of being penalized, so we ask that you refrain from using them.

quote:

*Enhancements to the HUD and Other UI Elements

We believe that people use the aforementioned tools to expand the HUD and display more information because they feel that existing functions are insufficient for tackling high-end duties. In recognition of this, we intend to review the most prominent tools, and in order to discourage their use, endeavor to enhance the functionality of the HUD. Though it will take some time, we're determined to make it happen─not least for the benefit of those who play on consoles.

quote:

In addition, at virtually the same time the patch was released, a screenshot from a phase that players had yet to reach was leaked. We believe it came from an insider, and are in the middle of a thorough investigation. We refrained from making this known earlier because it would make the investigation more difficult if the suspect were aware of it. Such leaks are utterly unacceptable, for they not only undermine the efforts of the development and operation teams, but also take away from our players' enjoyment.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Oh dang, looks like Blufever got destroyed.

quote:

Previously, when a major leak occurred prior to the release of Shadowbringers, we succeeded in identifying the culprit and took legal action.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Suckers, they'll never be able to figure out that I'm using cactbot 'cause I'm still dying

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If they add a DPS meter, fix the netcode so XIVAlexander isn't needed, and add a slidecast indicator that would eliminate most of the "need" for mods while raiding.

Does the callout thing work off reading the battle log or the packets that come in? They could obfuscate the log to make the former unviable but not much you can do about the latter because at the end of the day the client needs to know what is happening.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

HackensackBackpack posted:

Give me the female DRK and DRG poses, SE.

Give me the male DRK pose, female DRK pose is just floor clipping: the animation

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

As someone who is bad at video games, I sincerely hope they never add in game parsing. I think it would add way too much negativity even to non-Savage content.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Square already punishes abusive behavior if it's reported. I don't think it would change much at this point if it was added.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I will cry if I lose my chat bubble plugin. I don't even use any of the combat made easier/call-out/etc. ones, I just use the ones that make the HUD/UI easier to read (like making my DOTs bigger) given I'm so blind I play at 300% UI and still have to squint sometimes. Oh, and the one that puts an icon on people who have already been ressed or is getting ressed, that one is my favourite for alliances/Bozja because you can actually tell in the pile of corpses who has been helped and who needs help without tabbing manually through two dozen bodies and checking their buff bar each time, or starting to res only to have someone else in another party res.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

XIVAlexander isn't needed though, unless you're chasing gold parses or involved in a world first arms race.

I say as I play on a PS5 with a wireless connection. Did you know you can visually measure your lag time in alliance raids by watching people who were behind you on your screen suddenly appear in front of you when using a jump pad? Yeah...

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

poo poo, it's kinda disheartening to know private servers can never happen, at least that's how it sounds. Then again final fantasy xi is still up so maybe it's not a huge concern to have.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CJ posted:

If they add a DPS meter

Absolutely not

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

hopeandjoy posted:

As someone who is bad at video games, I sincerely hope they never add in game parsing. I think it would add way too much negativity even to non-Savage content.

If they feel the need to add something like that, I hope they obfuscate it, maybe something like copying the enmity gauge that's on the Party bars to show relative DPS and only showing your personal DPS numbers.

coolusername posted:

I will cry if I lose my chat bubble plugin.

This is honestly the only mod that comes close to tempting me to install them. I still haven't though, since I found you can set up different sound indicators to ping when someone chats and just use that for Party and Alliance.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Square already punishes abusive behavior if it's reported. I don't think it would change much at this point if it was added.

I think it (including a way to parse ingame) would be a bad idea, beyond just the bad actors. One of the things that keeps people playing is ignorance of their own incompetence. If the game had a way to show you that you were bad at performing your class that was built into the game that would probably disincentivize a large portion of the player base from playing (or maintaining their sub). I think it would tank a large portion of the playerbase.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Onean posted:

If they feel the need to add something like that, I hope they obfuscate it, maybe something like copying the enmity gauge that's on the Party bars to show relative DPS and only showing your personal DPS numbers.

This is honestly the only mod that comes close to tempting me to install them. I still haven't though, since I found you can set up different sound indicators to ping when someone chats and just use that for Party and Alliance.

It's so nice, it makes the world feel very lived in when you're running around and PCs have chat bubbles too, and in fights it's so much easier to see where someone is when they say 'Rez please' when you get a chat bubble above their head rather than checking the chatbox and then looking for them on the floor, or if people are chatting casually you can just keep playing with your focus 100% on the party and enemies around you rather than having to look away. It just lowers the general disconnect for me, I feel way more like people are talking around me when they visibly are vs nothing on-screen and reading the chatbox. 100% the whole reason I got it (besides 'not needing to put in my password every drat time even though I'm on the same computer, on the same IP, with 2FA on').

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Madmarker posted:

I think it (including a way to parse ingame) would be a bad idea, beyond just the bad actors. One of the things that keeps people playing is ignorance of their own incompetence. If the game had a way to show you that you were bad at performing your class that was built into the game that would probably disincentivize a large portion of the player base from playing (or maintaining their sub). I think it would tank a large portion of the playerbase.

This is me. I'm quite happy plinking away at bosses in duty finder content, doing what I think is a decent rotation. If I found out I was last in DPS in every single raid I'd die a little inside - even if I already expect it to be the case. :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Madmarker posted:

This never stopped people from playing WoW, and that was a game where people were actively toxic about DPS meters in all content.

Even if numbers were visible the average person would not care or even be aware of their number being abnormally bad.

I don't think the game 'needs' to add DPS meters or whatever but I think people really overblow how much it'd ruin the game's community.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

There is also an in game way to check if you're doing enough damage to do content as it stands. Whatever your current DPS is is secondary to can you do damage good enough to kill a thing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A native parser could work within the confines of the dev's concerns about harassment if it only shows your own personal information. You could make it relative to the dps value needed to beat the SSS dummy for a given duty, which is imperfect but still reasonable and can always be retuned if needed. The end result is you get a rough response to "am I doing well?" that's somewhat generous and that you don't need to share if you don't want to.

There's a zero percent chance we'll ever see ACT levels of combat data in the client, though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DPS meters, but only in high end duties. Let casual players live in peace without being shamed for their sleepytime DPS numbers

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lord_Magmar posted:

There is also an in game way to check if you're doing enough damage to do content as it stands. Whatever your current DPS is is secondary to can you do damage good enough to kill a thing.
Eh... a ton of players practice openers and stuff ad nauseum but actually executing stuff during mechanics is an entirely different beast. I imagine a lot of people have no clue how much dps they're actually doing during real fights, and I bet for many players it's way worse than their SSS performance.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Thundarr posted:

You could make it relative to the dps value needed to beat the SSS dummy for a given duty, which is imperfect but still reasonable and can always be retuned if needed.

Oh, I like this. The only other thing from ACT (I think, like I said I don't use it) I'd like to see is a more readable recap that shows the last 3-5 seconds before you're KO'd.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Fixing the netcode to no longer encourage Mudfish and its ilk would be way nicer than a parser. That said that's even less likely so bring on the official parse babey!!!!!!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't think they will add a DPS meter but they would have to if they wanted people to stop using mods.

I can't think of a good reason not to include XIVAlexander's functionality as baseline. The servers don't do any verification on ability lockout as evidenced by you being able to set your ping to negative in Alexander and reduce the animation lock below what it is supposed to be and the server is completely fine with it. Given that, there is no reason not to trust the client to track its animation length.

Slide cast bars would be useful and i'm pretty sure WoW had them when i played it 12 years ago. Although i think a better solution would be to modify the cast bars to account for latency so the cast bar ends at the point where performing another action wouldn't interrupt the cast.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Martman posted:

Eh... a ton of players practice openers and stuff ad nauseum but actually executing stuff during mechanics is an entirely different beast. I imagine a lot of people have no clue how much dps they're actually doing during real fights, and I bet for many players it's way worse than their SSS performance.

Right, but if you can do SSS then it becomes a matter of executing that rotation during mechanics. Which you don't need a dps meter to tell you whether you're able to do that or not.

WoW has absolutely never had slide cast bars, and in fact you cannot slide cast in WoW because it's way more client-oriented than server oriented (which is the reverse of FFXIV). In WoW if you interrupt a cast on your client you will interrupt it, same as if you get hit by a mechanic or dodge or whatever, the Server is updated with the information your client sends not the other way around.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Add a parser but it only shows how your Trust party is performing.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I don't really care how the raid/group is doing usually so if my FFXIV Official Parser just showed my (green) boss dps relative to other players of the same class similar to fflogs, that'd be all I'd need. Damage breakdowns are cool too to get an understanding of what to focus on when learning a class/rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, but if you don't kill the thing, how do you know what you did wrong? There's a lot of places to gently caress up in a rotation. Are you missing cooldowns and thus dropping ability uses over the course of the fight? Low uptime of dots and self-buffs? Are you mangling your 1-2-3's once mechanics get you stressed? Are you just suffering from low uptime due to tunnel-visioning mechanics? Or maybe the problem wasn't you and you missed the kill because other people were underperforming?

Failing to kill something just tells you that you couldn't kill something, it doesn't tell you what you need to work on.