Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Noxville posted:

Love this Labour leaflet highlighting that the Greens set policy based on effectiveness rather than spite and moralism like the other parties

https://twitter.com/stilloveryonder/status/1523570415142338560?s=21&t=RlIeIfoXKkRjWc-NkaTWXg

Not sure how committed they are to those 3 yo promises given they try to bury them, but Labour did own itself pretty hard there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

we would not halve the prison population, we would instead double it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so who’s gonna take over after Keith quits? I feel like none of the PLP idiots has a big enough profile to be the heir apparent

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1523638252657610752

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

so who’s gonna take over after Keith quits? I feel like none of the PLP idiots has a big enough profile to be the heir apparent

They’re pushing Streeting but I don’t think he would have the votes to win the leadership election

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Julio Cruz posted:

Streeting is the obvious one, but maybe Cooper in to #girlboss it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

Rachel Reeves or Yvette Cooper are possibilities. I'd not totally rule out Wes Streeting, but maybe he'd sit it out in exchange for Chancellor or something for Reeves, because he's got a very hateable face

Cooper will be presented as the candidate of the soft left lol

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 9, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Who are we kidding, it'll be jessflaps.

eric andre why would europe do this dot png

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
...they have created? in what universe does that make any sense at all

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Ed balls, although no longer an mp, is the most popular labour figure I think.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Ha ha of course Tweetman has gone full TERF. She's clearly been angling for a comfy columnist job for years and thought that would be her reward for aligning with all the radical centrist weirdos, but she doesn't have a clue how power works or how little they cared about her. Since Corbyn got chucked and all her weirdo pals abandoned her she's obviously been looking for any grift she can to stay relevant and it's genuinely kinda sad lol. I'd actually be very surprised if she earnestly believed half the dumb poo poo she says.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is much more likely, I think, that people believe whatever is convenient rather than writing things they don't believe.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I honestly think she knows it's a grift and is just saying whatever she naively thinks will lead to the JK Rowling windfall somewhere down the road. She clearly doesn't do any real thinking about the subject, she's terminally online and here for twitter interactions not to actually have any kind of honest discourse.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Kieth can’t go yet, I need to see what a Labour manifesto looks like under Starmer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that that level of self awareness is likely incompatible with her failure to get very far. Rather, I think it is more likely that she sincerely believes each of these stupid tacks she goes on, believes that she is fighting some noble battle etc, because it is much more personally elevating to believe that.

I don't think there are people who are capable actors and also writing their own scripts to act out as if they were real, while simultaneously not believing any of it. It would be extremely weird for someone to live like that, when there is instead the option of simply belieiving you're right and what you say is right and the world would be much better off if people listened to you, while also lacking the intellectual capacity to formulate ideas other than reflections of basic ambient societal prejudices and your own personal hangups.

Basically, if given the choice as to whether she is a brilliant manipulator or merely extremely dull and drawn to the most unremarkable ideas around her, I am going to suggest the latter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

Kieth can’t go yet, I need to see what a Labour manifesto looks like under Starmer.

You'll see exactly the same thing under his successor, have no fear. Starmer is the ultimate empty suit; he has nothing of his own, only what the team behind him tells him to do. That's why you're hearing now about his team planning for him to resign rather than them planning what to do in the event of his resignation.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Mr Phillby posted:

Thats why Starmer is a disaster though, he isn't leading by example in this case. The example would be to let the police investigate and say upfront that you're happy to pay the fine.

The prevailing tack from the rightwingers is that 'they're all the same' and Kier is very publically proving them right. The truth is that largely they're right on, Keith is dishonest, carrerist and corrupt.You can argue he's not as bad as boris on a very fundamental level he is cut from the same cloth.

Compare boris's twin columns, one for brexit and one against with Keith voting through boris's brexit deal after years of campaigning to stop that very thing from happening.

For both of these men the most damaging political event of my generation was nothing more than a political football. Power for power's sake, gently caress the consequences.

Keith is the labour equivalent of John Major, he's a steady hand that doesn't terrify them after a period with a scary leader. That also means being a professional politician so he's an unprincipled opportunistic twat who secretly thinks the rules are only for the proles.

Oddly enough he'd probably make a fantastic conservative leader as although he thinks he's above the rules he doesn't actually look for opportunities to be openly criminally dishonest.

He should go. By which I mean both of the fuckers.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Yeah, we agree tbh. When I say she doesn't believe half of it I more mean she can't because her understanding is so superficial, and she's approaching the conversation with obvious personal and ideological motives that discourage her from making the effort. So she's not being wilfully deceitful, but is also hardly a good faith actor.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

They seem very keen on denying any possibility that an attempt at gender transition can be temporary - repeatedly hyping up the risks of puberty blockers
Every time I hear that debate it just reminds me of the very similar debate in the 90s about whether menstruation was harmful, and whether delaying it could cut the risk of various health problems, which was fairly civilized until the usual gaggle of second wave radfems and wingnut theocrats came out of the woodwork to go on about 'destroying natural womanhood' and 'birth control for 12 year olds by sex groomers' and it's just the same poo poo again.

Much like the US abortion debate or the bins it's not about what it claims to be about, but is more howling about change and fear of lost privilege.

Noxville posted:

Love this Labour leaflet highlighting that the Greens set policy based on effectiveness rather than spite and moralism like the other parties

https://twitter.com/stilloveryonder/status/1523570415142338560?s=21&t=RlIeIfoXKkRjWc-NkaTWXg
Oh no, not crack cocaine on the NHS. Next they'll be giving crack cocaine to old ladies with arthritis and lying about it by calling it something different to not alarm people, and then what next, all evidence ignoring moralist hand-wringing might go out of the window.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I'm calling it now. If Keith resigns over this, the spin will be how noble he was for doing this and respecting the rule of law, unlike that Boris Johnson.
Completely missing out how in politics power is what matters.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Question IRL posted:

I'm calling it now. If Keith resigns over this, the spin will be how noble he was for doing this and respecting the rule of law, unlike that Boris Johnson.
Completely missing out how in politics power is what matters.
Nah Boris’ parties have been completely memory–holed now, and Smithers is probably crying about how unfair it all is.

Jedit posted:

You'll see exactly the same thing under his successor, have no fear.
I just worry whoever comes in next might have a policy on something and we’ll be denied the pure vacuous nothingness we would have gotten otherwise :ohdear:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

TACD posted:

Page 1: I welcome the conservative manifesto, but invite it to go further in the following ways.

Page 2: ello bab it me, jess

Page 3: JJJEEERRREEEMMMYYY CCCOOORRRBBBYYYNNN

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TACD posted:

Just go to the printer and pick up a stack of paper from the tray that hasn't been used yet. That's your Labour manifesto

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In a previous era the prison, separated from society, was the institution of total surveillance, whose inmates were constantly observed and their activities recorded, but today total surveillance is increasingly the general condition of society as a whole. “The prison,” Michel Foucault notes, “begins well before its doors. It begins as soon as you leave your house” – and even before. Do you accept this because you are unaware of being watched? Or because you think you have no choice? Each of these may be true in part, but overlying both is fear. You accept being in a prison society because outside seems more dangerous.

You are not only the object of security but also the subject. You answer the call to be vigilant, constantly on watch for suspicious activity on the subway, devious designs of your seatmate on the bus, malicious motives of your neighbours. Fear justifies volunteering your pair of eyes and your alert attention to a seemingly universal security machine. There are two dramatis personae in securitized society: inmates and guards. And New Labour invites you to play both roles at once.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

They’re pushing Streeting but I don’t think he would have the votes to win the leadership election

yeah I don't think anyone outside of political weirdos actually knows who he is

political weirdos includes this thread btw

Cooper and Jessflaps have basically been memory-holed, I can't think of a single memorable thing either of them has said or done since Keith took over

Reeves is probably my guess since at least she's stuck her head up here and there in order to be thoroughly awful

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/emmakennedy/status/1523626637828440066?s=21&t=5ZBCkmvPESzX4JKD_YX-9g

Hah, called it. Doubt he'll even have the sliver of self-awareness necessary to regret all those times he covered for the police over their blatantly corrupt and partisan behaviour.

One important note: I don't believe Emma Kennedy has been right about literally anything ever.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Crazy seeing how quickly Starmer goes to pieces and starts making stupid decisions the moment he's actually put under pressure.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Julio Cruz posted:

Yvette Cooper / Ed Balls force dyad.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
c'mon with that fixed penalty notice durrrrahm pigs, I want a curry!

F-P-N!
F-P-N!
F-P-N!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

He’s gonna do it

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1523662844125843456

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Noxville posted:

"these are green party policies from their website.

they won't tell you about them"

but you just admitted that these are from their website???

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oh my god lol. Starters going to resign to stick it to Boris Johnson! What an amazing leader. WINSTON CHURCHILL of our time I'd reckon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

"these are green party policies from their website.

they won't tell you about them"

but you just admitted that these are from their website???

I think the inference is that it is the 2019 website.

Please do not think about the 2019 labour website.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Can't help but feel that there's an element of self-sabotage here: he's subconsciously hating being leader and if the Durham police fine him then it's kind of their decision rather than his decision that he goes.

I mean, I've been monitoring his recent TV appearances, and if he's enjoying being Labour leader at all, then he's extremely good at hiding it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean he's just consistently failed to achieve anything and everyone hates him almost as much as boris.

I would hate it too, honestly.

Going to be thrilling watching the usual suspects effortlessly pivot to gushing about the next prick in a suit who is definitely different from tha last one.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
garlic naan, saag paneer, chicken dhansak, mushroom and garlic rice and some onion bhajis I reckon

chips too obvs

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

its loving Shakespearian that keith's crazy plan is entirely predicated on the police not being corrupt shitheads

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
lol the ex-chief cop is about to find out how corrupt the cops are when you're no longer one of them

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ straight up face eating leopards poo poo

The funniest outcome is that he says he will step down if given a fine, the police penalise him with a complex legal mechanism that isn't technically a fine, he doesn't step down, and even centrists hate him for being percieved as weaseling his way out of it on a technicality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’m sure the Tories will be humbled to see Kieth prove himself the better man and to have higher moral standing than Boris Johnson, rather than laughing their loving balls off