Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

AceClown posted:

Project pollinator paradise begins!

Bye bye lovely lawn grass!

nice!

are you planting entirely white clover?

if they sell some crimson clover, you could add some of that in for a really stunning dash of colour that bees absolutely love and is a great nitrogen fixer if that matters to you (also chickens go mad for it):

You'll get loads of pollinators with white clover, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with sticking with that

Different clovers tend to be preferred by different pollinators since the flower shapes vary.

For example, red clover (Trifolium pratense, not to be confused with crimson clover Trifolium incarnatum) has really deep flowers that honeybees can't get into since they have short tongues, but pollinators with long tongues love them (like many bumblebees and butterflies):

Also this might sound a bit odd since they're often considered a gardener's pest, but if you can plant some kale and let it overwinter and flower, it will feed butterflies like cabbage whites in both the larval and adult forms. They will keep self seeding so you don't really have to do anything, and the flowers are actually really beautiful:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Enfys posted:

nice!

are you planting entirely white clover?

if they sell some crimson clover, you could add some of that in for a really stunning dash of colour that bees absolutely love and is a great nitrogen fixer if that matters to you (also chickens go mad for it):

You'll get loads of pollinators with white clover, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with sticking with that

Different clovers tend to be preferred by different pollinators since the flower shapes vary.

For example, red clover (Trifolium pratense, not to be confused with crimson clover Trifolium incarnatum) has really deep flowers that honeybees can't get into since they have short tongues, but pollinators with long tongues love them (like many bumblebees and butterflies):

Also this might sound a bit odd since they're often considered a gardener's pest, but if you can plant some kale and let it overwinter and flower, it will feed butterflies like cabbage whites in both the larval and adult forms. They will keep self seeding so you don't really have to do anything, and the flowers are actually really beautiful:

oh wow, I'll absolutely look at some flowering kale for the borders to go with my lavender plants I'm putting in! Those look perfect for what I'm planning

Verbena bonariensis is also going in alongside nasturtium and I have a Buddleia growing nicely too

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

the mods are teaching us an important lesson for the collapse. none of the rules matter. what matters is power and who's willing to use it, no matter how petty the grievance.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MightyBigMinus posted:

the mods are teaching us an important lesson for the collapse. none of the rules matter. what matters is power and who's willing to use it, no matter how petty the grievance.

also that you can't affect change on even the most local level because the people in power will never listen to you and can do whatever they want

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

the Lesson of Rime is this: Better Things Are Not Possible.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

MightyBigMinus posted:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

also that you can't affect change on even the most local level because the people in power will never listen to you and can do whatever they want

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
texas toast

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1523393064563134464?s=20&t=RSALI7xi1UKCz0rZx4vSMA

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

A nice pink center, perfectly seared

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

hot enough for ya?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

also the worst people will always show up tp cheer on bad things

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Don't worry monsoon season is only a few weeks away, things aren't that bad yet

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Texas could have used a little bit of that warming when they were all freezing to death a while ago!!!!!!!!! Global warming is a hoax

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

lmao rime does not have a 'cult of personality' others simply notice when he's banned for speaking the uncomfortable truth of biosphere collapse on the ostensibly Most Leftist Secret Dead Gay Forum and everyone lines up with posts from 2015 or 2019 screaming "he is racist!!" when they otherwise profess to believe people can change and when that wasn't even the spurious ban reason

He actually has a negative one. Most of us know his extensive history with the D&D climate threads where he had a prominent voice due to being a subject matter expert on renewables. Arguing with them caused a lot of the "No negativity" rules and years of probes and bans until they invented the concept of threadbans or subforum bans and used that to just throw him out so they didn't have to experience months of reasonable posts they didn't like until he went a little nuts and posted something they could punish him for. He was the representative of anxiety and developed this huge cult following of haters telling everyone everywhere he is this psychotic fascist racist nazi nihilist doomer.

The offsite drama people mentioned comes into it because recently the nazi that was using the GDN bot to spy on everyone went down in a flaming meltdown. Other than secretly pulling server records this bot was used to authorize any entry into any goon discord. This meant people could be blacklisted and the D&D crew had Rime blacklisted from being allowed in any goon discords for over a year by getting the nazi to do it. When the bot went down with the nazi this eliminated the blacklist and Rime eventually joined USPol discord.

That went about how you would expect with gigantic fights around a month ago. He was posting some of his posts from here (like the turbine brand problem post) to prove people claiming renewables would save us wrong. After a huge meltdown where they labeled him an ecofascist nazi again they had him banned from their discord. They started hate reading this thread daily again, crossposting rime's post and organizing reports against him like they do to succzone.

I don't think azathoth was involved in the discord slapfight they are just so monumentally loving stupid they are starting the inter-forums fights back up by doing what the hatereaders want, which is why so many of them are coming here to do victory laps specifically over Rime getting banned.

We are usually the ones trying to talk sense into him or roast him a little for crossing lines but there is definitely an extremely dedicated cult of personality around him.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 15:28 on May 9, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
coming in here to check on the biosphere, found yet another referendum on Rime. the drama that attends his posts is worse than the posts themselves, imo.

the specific post for which he was banned seemed pretty harmless. Rime posts interesting content, even if it's ludicrously doom-brained.

are we this thin-skinned?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

He actually has a negative one. Most of us know his extensive history with the D&D climate threads where he had a prominent voice due to being a subject matter expert on renewables. Arguing with them caused a lot of the "No negativity" rules and years of probes and bans until they invented the concept of threadbans or subforum bans and used that to just throw him out so they didn't have to experience months of reasonable posts they didn't like until he went a little nuts and posted something they could punish him for. He was the representative of anxiety and developed this huge cult following of haters telling everyone everywhere he is this psychotic fascist racist nazi nihilist doomer.

The offsite drama people mentioned comes into it because recently the nazi that was using the GDN bot to spy on everyone went down in a flaming meltdown. Other than secretly pulling server records this bot was used to authorize any entry into any goon discord. This meant people could be blacklisted and the D&D crew had Rime blacklisted from being allowed in any goon discords for over a year by getting the nazi to do it. When the bot went down with the nazi this eliminated the blacklist and Rime eventually joined USPol discord.

That went about how you would expect with gigantic fights around a month ago. He was posting some of his posts from here (like the turbine brand problem post) to prove people claiming renewables would save us wrong. After a huge meltdown where they labeled him an ecofascist nazi again they had him banned from their discord. They started hate reading this thread daily again, crossposting rime's post and organizing reports against him like they do to succzone.

I don't think azathoth was involved in the discord slapfight they are just so monumentally loving stupid they are starting the inter-forums fights back up by doing what the hatereaders want, which is why so many of them are coming here to do victory laps specifically over Rime getting banned.

We are usually the ones trying to talk sense into him or roast him a little for crossing lines but there is definitely an extremely dedicated cult of personality around him.

Starting to think these guys might not actually be concerned about biosphere posters' mental health at all actually ...

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol. lmao.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

IAMKOREA posted:

Starting to think these guys might not actually be concerned about biosphere posters' mental health at all actually ...

I can't imagine spending that much time thinking about another goon

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

IAMKOREA posted:

Its funny how they each come in here to have their own elaborate contrary-to-the-thread opinions on climate change by complete coincidence when our stupid moderator happens to punish the person they all collectively hate for posts he made years ago, also by complete coincidence.

It's really about the ethics in Biosphere Collapse.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I read a lot of threads and a lot of posts and I don't know that I can name any posters

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I read a lot of threads and a lot of posts and I don't know that I can name any posters

i just go by avs i recognize most of the time, it works until one of them pisses someone off and receives a lovely new av

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

relax, i've been assured that it'll effect the others before it effects us

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

it snowed last night where I am in utah, which seems very strange for the middle of loving may. meanwhile a couple states away this is happening. whacky climate we got here, I wonder why??

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

A nice pink center, perfectly seared

lmao

kater
Nov 16, 2010

unless

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

relax, i've been assured that it'll effect the others before it effects us

98% of economic activity takes place indoors so outside temperature is irrelevant

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Homeless Friend posted:

racist psycho pass

homie what thread you from

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Everything is bigger in Texas

Including the death tolls

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Good news, you can now get what used to be only frackable oil out of the ground the same way you get nutriment goo out of a pizza pop

quote:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bakx-acceleware-oilsands-emissions-rf-1.6442971
How a software company is microwaving Alberta's oilsands

As oilsands companies work to meet their climate targets and face an incoming limit on total emissions from the federal government, there has never been as much focus on how the industry in northern Alberta can cut its vast air pollution. The result is a wave of technological innovation, including ideas first conceived many decades ago — like microwaving the oil out of the ground.

That's essentially the technology developed by Calgary-based software company Acceleware, which began producing oil at its demonstration facility in the province last month near Lloydminster.

Underground, the company uses radio waves to heat up oil, which is then pumped to the surface. The technology remains in development and still faces challenges, but its backers say it has the potential to cut carbon emissions in the sector.

"Since the 40s, people have thought of the idea of using radio frequency energy to produce oil," said Acceleware's CEO Geoff Clark.

In the past, even in recent decades, researchers were using radio or TV station equipment, which Clark said doesn't work well as a heat source.

"In our opinion, the frequency ranges are all wrong, the efficiency is all wrong and the capital cost of that communications equipment is way too high," he said.

quote:

"Using electrification to decarbonize the production of heavy oil is really what we're trying to do," he said. "The big challenge for us is to demonstrate that we're doing what we say the technology can do."

If only we had a low carbon way to get... carbon out of the ground

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ban anyone who has ever read a R*me post. It's the only way to be sure we get all the nazis out

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

thread title candidate

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

the Lesson of Rime is this: Better Things Are Not Possible.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

So uh...that guy gonna get unbanned or...

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

T-Paine posted:

free cumshitter

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

T-Paine posted:

who cares

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A cadre of scared haters who follow someone around don't constitute their cult of personality. plague rats was acting like this thread is Rime Jonestown when (as always with reaction) that's all projection

Mameluke has issued a correction as of 17:03 on May 9, 2022

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Its funny how they each come in here to have their own elaborate contrary-to-the-thread opinions on climate change by complete coincidence when our stupid moderator happens to punish the person they all collectively hate for posts he made years ago, also by complete coincidence.

Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Biosphere Collapse] The Assassination of Good Poster Rime by the Coward Mod Azathoth

tiberion02 has issued a correction as of 17:01 on May 9, 2022

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
That discord post is insane and I can't wrap my head around it, possibly because of the microplastic accumulation in my brain

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I exclusively drank water out of Nalgene bottles for almost 20 years and I think this shaved a good dozen IQ points off... but I didn't have many to start with, heyyyoo!!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

You do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

nikosoft posted:

That discord post is insane and I can't wrap my head around it, possibly because of the microplastic accumulation in my brain

I assume it's not real