Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Photex posted:

Found a good top 10 list site and about to play Policenauts for the first time on this little guy

Mine just shipped and should be here in a day or two, pretty excited to tinker with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

GoodApollo posted:

Nice! For some reason they weren’t showing up on the site last night, so thanks. 15$ shipping for a 2$ part is rough though. If anyone has swapped in switch or other portable sticks for the default would be interested to hear if it works.

If nobody else gets back to you first I’ll crack mine open again and check here in an hour or two. I’ve got a bunch of switch sticks sitting in my desk anyway.

Edit: it’s a resounding maybe but not quite as easy as I would have hoped.

Blue ribbon cable is the Switch stick, one of the many Amazon kits. Brown one is the OEM.

Connectors definitely look the same, but the actual ribbon cable is at the wrong angle. You could probably do some creative macguyver work to get it to work, those screw mounting holes aren’t even used.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 7, 2022

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Photex posted:

Found a good top 10 list site and about to play Policenauts for the first time on this little guy

Care to share the site for reference? Also I've heard Snatcher is great too.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

Is there a Playdate thread?

I got mine yesterday, the hardware is super cool, but the first two games are pretty dang underwhelming. Really hoping next weeks batch has something that’s more my speed.

Ok, so Playdate week two's games are not much more to my liking. I bounced off 'Crankin's Time Travel Adventure' pretty fast. I just didn't find anything about it fun :-( No idea how you're supposed to get past the pig on level 6. The other game this week is a Fruity Loops clone? But doesn't use the crank?. So far i'm surprised by what games they've decided to ship first. Hoping there's things that are more my speed in the coming weeks...

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
...and that's after they slowed the pigs down because everybody was worried about how fast they had to crank!
https://twitter.com/playdate/status/1521595085871214592

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Swilo posted:

...and that's after they slowed the pigs down because everybody was worried about how fast they had to crank!
https://twitter.com/playdate/status/1521595085871214592

Yeah I saw that...I'm on level 6, are you supposed to crank so fast you get to the end of the level before the pig? I have no idea how that's physically possible.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Alucard posted:

Care to share the site for reference? Also I've heard Snatcher is great too.

https://www.blockfort.com/category/game-lists/

Has a top 10 list for nearly all systems, thought it was a fun resource for systems I wouldn't normally try

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

frogbs posted:

Yeah I saw that...I'm on level 6, are you supposed to crank so fast you get to the end of the level before the pig? I have no idea how that's physically possible.

I did not like this level. Go back into your house and wait for the pigs to pass

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Vegastar posted:

If nobody else gets back to you first I’ll crack mine open again and check here in an hour or two. I’ve got a bunch of switch sticks sitting in my desk anyway.

Edit: it’s a resounding maybe but not quite as easy as I would have hoped.

Blue ribbon cable is the Switch stick, one of the many Amazon kits. Brown one is the OEM.

Connectors definitely look the same, but the actual ribbon cable is at the wrong angle. You could probably do some creative macguyver work to get it to work, those screw mounting holes aren’t even used.

Oh wow thank you so much for this. If I can find any nearby I’ll give this a shot first and report back.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Pockyless posted:

I did not like this level. Go back into your house and wait for the pigs to pass

Are you loving kidding me? I went back in but saw there was just endless pigs outside and gave up.

Gotta say, these games are cute, and whimsical, but not very fun so far!

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'm just glad they made a game about cranking your hog

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Third party retro consoles: Reduced pig velocity

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

My Miyoo Mini has arrived and man it's such a little guy

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

drrockso20 posted:

My Miyoo Mini has arrived and man it's such a little guy

where did you order yours from?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AliExpress says mine is expected to arrive tomorrow.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

otter posted:

where did you order yours from?

this listing on Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/Miyoo-Mini-Portable-Handheld-Preinstalled/dp/B09PTGJ7DL

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

And I think my Miyoo Mini is bricked, tried updating the firmware and it's just stuck on the Miyoo logo instead of doing anything like it's supposed to, and from looking around on the internet there doesn't seem to be a way to actually fix it, so I guess I'm just hosed...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

And I think my Miyoo Mini is bricked, tried updating the firmware and it's just stuck on the Miyoo logo instead of doing anything like it's supposed to, and from looking around on the internet there doesn't seem to be a way to actually fix it, so I guess I'm just hosed...

Never mind did a little more digging and found a solution I'm an overly dramatic idiot

EDIT: fixed it, though still fiddling with getting Onion setup as the RGC guide is a bit outdated and it took me a bit to figure out that Onion had changed up some of how it handles installing it compared to how the RGC guide shows it

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 9, 2022

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

drrockso20 posted:

Never mind did a little more digging and found a solution I'm an overly dramatic idiot

EDIT: fixed it, though still fiddling with getting Onion setup as the RGC guide is a bit outdated and it took me a bit to figure out that Onion had changed up some of how it handles installing it compared to how the RGC guide shows it

Thanks for mentioning this, I was planning to just jump into the RGC guide so I'm glad someone mentioned not to.

I was restlessly poking around Reddit while I wait for mine to arrive and most posts recommend not upgrading the firmware as long as yours ships with a firmware from this year, as the firmware upgrade process is risky and Onion works fine on anything from 2022.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I guess there is a Miyoo mini v2 now?

RGC should be doing a review of it soon.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

MarcusSA posted:

So I guess there is a Miyoo mini v2 now?

RGC should be doing a review of it soon.

If you ordered in the last couple months it's the one you have, just has a different battery and screen lamination.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

And transparent blue and black versions have been confirmed
https://www.reddit.com/r/MiyooMini/comments/ul5d1u/miyoo_mini_blue_version/

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bourricot posted:

And transparent blue and black versions have been confirmed
https://www.reddit.com/r/MiyooMini/comments/ul5d1u/miyoo_mini_blue_version/

Friendship with trimui/powkiddy a66 OVER

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Can't say I care for that. Looks a little too much like something coolbaby would make

Like, you turn it on and you just see that famicone 9999 in one menu screen

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If they make a purple one I will buy it immediately.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, I had to cancel my reservation of the Steam Deck (lol @ global economy burning in a trash fire), but I still like the idea of playing some of my Steam library on the couch/bed/wherever. I noticed the RP2+ has both Moonlight and Steam Link apps. Which one works better and how well does it do for most stuff (like, puzzle and JRPG stuff, not twitch shooters)?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If all your stuff is on Steam I've never had any issues with Steam Link, Moonlight is really only better if you have stuff from other places. Most of the games I play with my PC these days is using Steam Link on my Macbook or Shield either in bed or on the sofa. You might be better off getting a controller for your phone if you just want a Steam Link device though.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Saoshyant posted:

Well, I had to cancel my reservation of the Steam Deck (lol @ global economy burning in a trash fire), but I still like the idea of playing some of my Steam library on the couch/bed/wherever. I noticed the RP2+ has both Moonlight and Steam Link apps. Which one works better and how well does it do for most stuff (like, puzzle and JRPG stuff, not twitch shooters)?

The biggest problem you'll run in to is the absolutely dogshit tiny resolution of these screens - like, 640x480. Most text intended for 1080p/4k is gonna look horrible.

I'd second the idea that if you're going steam link you're better off getting a bluetooth controller for your phone.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RichterIX posted:

Thanks for mentioning this, I was planning to just jump into the RGC guide so I'm glad someone mentioned not to.

I was restlessly poking around Reddit while I wait for mine to arrive and most posts recommend not upgrading the firmware as long as yours ships with a firmware from this year, as the firmware upgrade process is risky and Onion works fine on anything from 2022.

His guide is still useful in parts you'll just want to also double check the instructions Miyoo provides with their firmware and the instructions Onion has on their site for what's different

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

If they make a purple one I will buy it immediately.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here’s the current rumor floating around:

Also here’s some big brains in the comments:

Rolo fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 11, 2022

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Youtube randomly threw this Anbernic video at me. Apparently it's a new product called the win600 and it can run Windows or SteamOS. No mention of potential cost, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gYIJuIciNg

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Rolo posted:

Here’s the current rumor floating around:

Also here’s some big brains in the comments:

Those look so cool. And I just bought a grey one at the beginning of the month :(

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Explosionface posted:

Youtube randomly threw this Anbernic video at me. Apparently it's a new product called the win600 and it can run Windows or SteamOS. No mention of potential cost, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gYIJuIciNg

it'll suck, look how bad those sticks look.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I don't suppose anyone who ordered the miyoo mini through that aliexpress deal actually had one arrive, have they?
I mean, I kinda thought it would be too good to be true. I've never had to file a dispute before with them. Am I basically going to get the shaft because they sent a recycled shipping # that says it was delivered to someone in Canada?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't got mine yet. It said it was supposed to be delivered on Sunday. I'm gonna open a dispute tomorrow. My DHL tracking number isn't even valid.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
I opened a dispute already and the seller did a counter offer on the dispute to refund $40 bucks saying "The cargo has been sent, the freight" so that's clearly a lie haha. I'm hoping AliExpress steps in and refunds the whole thing. I rejected their offer so we'll see what happens.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Ok, so I got an email from Aliexpress right after I left the house for an appointment saying my miyoo mini was delivered. Its not in my mailbox and not on my front porch.
So easy enough to dismiss as fake, except I also bought something off ebay which ALSO says it was delivered and is not there.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't got mine yet. It said it was supposed to be delivered on Sunday. I'm gonna open a dispute tomorrow. My DHL tracking number isn't even valid.

Pretty much where I'm at. Mine was meant to be here 2 days ago (which is wildly optimistic even for China > Aus shipping).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. I got an email saying it got delivered today, which it didn't. So dispute has been opened.