Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Desperate Acts of Capitalism and How Did This Not Get Made seem like they might be up your alley. The first one hasn't updated since late 2020 but it's an absolute *hoot*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Splicer posted:

Looking for podcasts (or youtubes, whichever) that talk about things that are an absolute shambles from start to finish. I want to hear one or more people dryly describing a completely baffling series of decisions with entirely predictable consequences. I don't want to hear about honest mistakes or unfortunate accidents, I want "What did you think would happen" to be the byline.

Ideally low stakes, the defunctland fastpass episode would be the gold standard for what I'm looking for.

Several episodes of the Dollop would qualify. Off the top of my head

The 1904 marathon where they weren't allowed to drink water and nobody had thought to block off the route so the runners had to dodge cars and feral dogs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFLjcX163WI

An attempt to cross Australia by people who had no idea what they were doing and insisted on bringing a full size bathtub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdq1nvpmLgU

A car race from New York to Paris. in 1908, when the vast majority of the route was unpaved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ogAPkGOVI

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Do any of those recommendations have an episode on Groverhaus? Seems like prime material for this subject.

WTYP premium feed

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

YggiDee posted:

Desperate Acts of Capitalism and How Did This Not Get Made seem like they might be up your alley. The first one hasn't updated since late 2020 but it's an absolute *hoot*.

Ooh that does sound good downloading now

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

JaneError posted:

Swindled, maybe? Not generally super low-stakes but otherwise meets your criteria: https://swindledpodcast.com
I do like con artist stuff but sometimes it makes me mad and I'm not in the mood to be mad today.
Thanks but there's a lot of dead people here :(
Thanks, I've tried WTYP and I like the main (?) guy with the very dry voice but find Alice very annoying. More generally there is, again, a lot of dead people and that's not what I'm in the mood for.

YggiDee posted:

Oooh, promising!

Gripweed posted:

Several episodes of the Dollop would qualify. Off the top of my head

The 1904 marathon where they weren't allowed to drink water and nobody had thought to block off the route so the runners had to dodge cars and feral dogs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFLjcX163WI

An attempt to cross Australia by people who had no idea what they were doing and insisted on bringing a full size bathtub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdq1nvpmLgU

A car race from New York to Paris. in 1908, when the vast majority of the route was unpaved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ogAPkGOVI
Nice curation, appreciated! I listened to someone talking about the first one before so that's exactly what I'm looking for.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Splicer posted:

Thanks, I've tried WTYP and I like the main (?) guy with the very dry voice but find Alice very annoying. More generally there is, again, a lot of dead people and that's not what I'm in the mood for.

You might like the donoteat YouTube channel

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Does anyone know of any good climate change podcasts? Been looking for something with more of a sciency bent.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
been listening to the trojan horse affair (technically a season of serial i think) and i want more stuff like this. are there are other good series or even just long episode dives into specific either political or social events that happened in the UK over the past 10 years? only UK related, i'm not interested in stuff happening in the US right now.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/expenses/id1458717729

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

roomtone posted:

been listening to the trojan horse affair (technically a season of serial i think) and i want more stuff like this. are there are other good series or even just long episode dives into specific either political or social events that happened in the UK over the past 10 years? only UK related, i'm not interested in stuff happening in the US right now.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-missing-cryptoqueen/id1480370173

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
What are the best episodes of Well There's Your Problem? I want to get into it, but some episodes aren't clicking.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

thank you both, i'll give these a listen

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What are the best episodes of Well There's Your Problem? I want to get into it, but some episodes aren't clicking.

First bonus episode is Groverhaus

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/replyall/status/1526981831748468740

Reply All is ending after 8 years, which I'm fine with. I've been listening for like 4 or 5 years and it definitely hasn't had the same energy it used to for a while, which probably has to do with that whole Test Kitchen debacle that led to one of the hosts leaving.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I still have Reply All on my podcast app but I won't really miss it.
The feed has probably had more repeats and ad episodes in it than real new episodes for a long time now.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
That announcement that they were overworked and taking a few months off just to get all their ducks in a row and that then they were going to put out the really good episodes wasn't a great sign. So this isn't too surprising. It had a good run though.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In the 00s I remember every blog doing that eventually. The updates would start to get more infrequent. Then there would be nothing for months. Then a post apologizing for the lack of updates but promising renewed efforts to come. Then a few more posts. Then nothing.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/replyall/status/1526981831748468740

Reply All is ending after 8 years, which I'm fine with. I've been listening for like 4 or 5 years and it definitely hasn't had the same energy it used to for a while, which probably has to do with that whole Test Kitchen debacle that led to one of the hosts leaving.

Speaking of, PJ Vogt's Crypto Island podcast is good and has the feel of his Reply All episodes.

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 26, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I didn't like it at first but over the course of listening to the railroad episodes it won me over.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Well There's Your Problem has too much banter for my tastes :shrug:

I recently finished episode 5 of The Silt Verses season 2 and loved it. It's nice to see something I thoroughly enjoyed the first season of still going strong.

I also just listened through all of Video Palace. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's a pretty good example of what I find wrong with a lot of horror podcasts. I didn't realize just how tired I'd gotten of the "found footage"-style frame that is so prevalent in the genre, where everybody apparently feels the need to justify why they're recording instead of just let a story play out. The Magnus Archives is the only one that I can think of where that approach is an actual strength, while others always walk a fine line between it not getting in the way and it forcing massive eye rolls: "Hey, listener! I discovered this spooky thing and decided to make a podcast as I investigate it. I'll obsessively keep recording no matter how hosed up everything gets."

Video Palace's other great sin is that the protagonists seem virtually devoid of agency and ultimately achieve nothing. They're just railroaded at high speed from "spooky" unexplained happening A to "spooky" unexplained happening B, with one of the protagonists literally saying at the end of the season something along the lines of "In the end, all I have are more questions." You and me both, sister. Unfortunately, the show never compelled me to care what the answers to those questions might be.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is there anything like Blank Check but for video games? They do movie conversations about what they like about the film and the director and stuff but Griffin always spends like an hour on the process of making it. Which is interesting for me because I know nothing besides that they got made. Like the fact that Sam Raimi Spider-Man 1 and 2 were being made basically at the same time and Tobey Maguire nearly didn't get brought back for 2 is news to me.

I'd love to have that for video games so I could know what kind of stuff got dummied out and blanderized in the finished product. Like the many iterations of Duke Nukem Forever and probably 3 attempts at MGS4.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Is there a good podcast out there that makes fun of crypto bullshit and tech industry scams and malfeasence? I'm looking for https://twitter.com/web3isgreat in podcast form basically.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/matthewgoldin/status/1536473400180240384?s=20&t=k4K2y_aoCaWWU7wKdzKpaA

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The first episode gets published when enough people pay the ransom? That uh sounds like a heck of a pitch, is this person at all funny or good at podcasting? I don’t quite follow why people are signing up to support this person without anything to show them what they’re supporting.

Also the name kinda blows, its got a lot of people already using it…

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sounds like a liberal Christian podcast.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

rotinaj posted:

The first episode gets published when enough people pay the ransom? That uh sounds like a heck of a pitch, is this person at all funny or good at podcasting? I don’t quite follow why people are signing up to support this person without anything to show them what they’re supporting.

One of the guys doing it did the Adult Swim series Truthpoint. Which was watched by 17 people. One of whom was me. I liked it.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

rotinaj posted:

probably a riff on "bad faith", a podcast by that bernie sanders lady whose name I forgot, and that chapo guy who got killed.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

LionYeti posted:

Is there a good podcast out there that makes fun of crypto bullshit and tech industry scams and malfeasence? I'm looking for https://twitter.com/web3isgreat in podcast form basically.

Crypto Island by PJ Vogt, formerly of Reply All, isn't exactly making fun of it exclusively but it is very VERY skeptical of crypto poo poo in general and focuses at times on all sorts of absurd nonsense

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I really hope Good Faith gets enough backers, from the description I'm imagining it like Topics but leftist. Just complete and utter commitment to the bit to the point of being loving unlistenable.

God, Topics kicked rear end.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Scam Economy
Tech Won't Save Us

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
im not really sure what i'm looking for. i'd love an actual play style podcast, but one also sort of .. focused more on character builds and the like vs. characters and acting, that sort of thing? Maybe not D&D 5E either just because there's SO MANY, but no strong preference there. does anyone have strong recommendations on this front?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lady Radia posted:

im not really sure what i'm looking for. i'd love an actual play style podcast, but one also sort of .. focused more on character builds and the like vs. characters and acting, that sort of thing? Maybe not D&D 5E either just because there's SO MANY, but no strong preference there. does anyone have strong recommendations on this front?

you want All My Fantasy Children or Character Creation Cast, perhaps? Both of them are literally just the hosts making characters based on a specific theme/idea, maybe doing a little fun thing with them, before moving on next week to a new one.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
that sounds a lot like my cup of tea! thank you :)

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
Am I dumb or is there no thread for Your Kickstarter Sucks? Pretty sure at least one of the hosts is/was a poster here.

For some reason I never got around to listening to it before even though I love all the ”adjacent” podcasts, and now I can’t get enough of it. It has a kick-rear end theme song too!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/stavvybaby/status/1540740091005517824?s=21&t=_R8CW1haCb9lo4LKJus5qw

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/GoodFaith_PR/status/1541864405817622528?s=20&t=6365aHl0reuI9cTpkaw6eg

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I still like listening to timesuck. But it's a bit hit or miss for me.
He has so many episodes about serial killers where he's describing murders in great detail, and that crime show poo poo feels perverse to me.
So I ignore those, except today i listened to one about a serial killer in France during WWII, and it was fantastic and one of he craziest poo poo I've heard in a while.
Has anybody listened to more of them and has recommendations?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

What is your podcast about

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

rotinaj posted:

What is your podcast about

Can’t even find it on overcast. Just a bunch of religious podcasts with the same name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mrfart posted:

Can’t even find it on overcast. Just a bunch of religious podcasts with the same name.

they're still holding their own podcast hostage until enough people pay their Patreon afaik