Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I had the most fun as a raid officer in WoW browsing parses specifically so I could offer advice and coaching to anyone low, or just gift them enchantments they were missing. :shobon: Seeing people improve made my week the next lockout. I also like when I see people new to a type of MMO gameplay and can give them the basics on tanking or something.

Pushed to 4.2 and lmao this game, surprise here's another super cool optional set of raid fights. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

fflogs could and probably should default to hiding names/profiles for unlinked accounts tho

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I hope no one runs a parse on my Bard who I'm literally just getting to 90 so I can get my retainer to 90. The amount of not remembering to reup my poisons and not doing a song until like 30 seconds of no song is quite a lot

Seriously how do people play this class, Red Mage FTW

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just push the lit up buttons and hope for the best

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oneiros posted:

fflogs could and probably should default to hiding names/profiles for unlinked accounts tho

Yeah, I don't think there's any harm in making this the default. I like seeing how competitive I can be on normal runs on FFLogs, but it's a matter of personal efficiency for me and not comparative shaming.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Macaluso posted:

I hope no one runs a parse on my Bard who I'm literally just getting to 90 so I can get my retainer to 90. The amount of not remembering to reup my poisons and not doing a song until like 30 seconds of no song is quite a lot

Seriously how do people play this class, Red Mage FTW

After years of playing it I have a very consistent internal timer so it's not that I have to watch a bunch of cooldowns, it's that I know when there's about 10 seconds left.

And outside of those timers there's enough flex in the procs that I find it relaxing. Sidewinder or other cooldowns might slip, but aside from the actual songs/dots that doesn't affect anything down the line in the same way a tight class like Dragoon does. That fits my particular anxieties very well, I can worry about tightening those up and doing mechanics while the main timers just tick away in a separate part of my head.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 9, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I have a decent internal clock on most of my highly played jobs, but I also keep my hotbars at just below eyelevel for a quick glance. I compare it a lot to driving a car: you get a good intuitive sense of how fast or slow you're going, but you also practice being able to flit your eyes down to the dashboard quickly to make sure your intuition's right.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

when I played scholar in shadowbringers I got a pretty good internal timer for how my rotation worked out by how many dots it took to reup aetherflow, and how many aetherflows it took to reapply chain stratagem. bard feels even more straightforward now once you get a handle on it, since your songs and dots have the same duration, so it only really breaks my brain when the boss goes untargetable.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i parse purely for my own personal number go up improvement, but i admit: i once shared a parse of a dragoon in a normie raid that had 25% of their total damage from piercing talon. that still gives me a little chuckle when i think about it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hogama posted:

Oh dang, looks like Blufever got destroyed.

That's not surprising. The extreme specificity of what they got right (Tsukiyomi, the order of the last set of Omega bosses, a nameless gunblade-using tank, Dancer, Blue Mage) and what they got wrong (Omega M/F's names, Dancer being a healer, Blue Mage being a full job ) meant Blu was either someone who left the team early in the Stormblood patch cycle or was in contact with someone who was. It probably didn't take a lot to track them down from there.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 9, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm a very middle of the road player but I knew I was doing something right when I left Aglaia as a Dancer with 5 commendations one time.

According to FFLogs my best performances in there hover around the 55~60 range which I'm more than fine with because it tells me I know how to play my job. That and my gear is poo poo (including having still been using a Moonward weapon up until a few days ago) so parsing that well in spite of the lovely gear also tells me I know my poo poo.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i'm gonna be honest, if you have hidden or no logs im just assuming youre bad anyways. theres no need to bring normal content parses into it.
similarly if you have hidden logs and a weapon or title i figure you bought your clear

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

cheetah7071 posted:

I know this isn't the point of the post but generally reaper has few enough positionals that you should be able to use true north just about every time you would miss one

that said I do think one of the big weaknesses of fflogs is it only normalized by the date you cleared on, not by gear. I'm not sure ACT is capable of parsing gear information but I'd love to see, instead of "here's how you did against everybody that cleared this week", instead "here's how you did against everybody with similar gear to yours since the fight released"

That's one of the things that's weird to me about FFLogs versus Warcraftlogs. On the latter your percentile is within your item level bracket (was 3-ilevel brackets when I last played and gave a poo poo about parsing back in Legion) and date-based. I had several orange/gold parses for my item level bracket that if I took the cap off and compared against every Warlock on earth were somewhere closer to 60th percentile overall.

I guess it's because the information is less easily accessible? But it seems like a missed opportunity.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kyrosiris posted:

I guess it's because the information is less easily accessible? But it seems like a missed opportunity.

ACT does not gather any information about gear, and that's where all the logs come from. Linking to the lodestone is worthless because it doesn't show what gear you had on at any given time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sakurazuka posted:

I just push the lit up buttons and hope for the best

That is also how I play dancer

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Basically the current situation, parsing frowned on by the Devs but not cracked down on in any real way outside of people being jerks, is absolutely fine and it should mostly stay that way. Making logs and parsers more official would be bad but so would starting to ban people for them.

The bit about discouraging add-ons by improving the UI in other ways is good though, the UI needs a big overhaul.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

That's one of the things that's weird to me about FFLogs versus Warcraftlogs. On the latter your percentile is within your item level bracket (was 3-ilevel brackets when I last played and gave a poo poo about parsing back in Legion) and date-based. I had several orange/gold parses for my item level bracket that if I took the cap off and compared against every Warlock on earth were somewhere closer to 60th percentile overall.

It’s just not consistently available enough in a way that makes the statistic useful. The lodestone updates in batches and is only going to be fully accurate after you log out, and who knows what job you’ll log off on. Any other way to get an accurate idea of what gear you had on at the time of the log involves methods that won’t get enough people logged properly to make it useful either.

IMO percentiles just aren’t a useful benchmark anyway for the vast majority of people and should stay being seen as a place for competing, while every other feature of fflogs is waaaay more useful for normal use.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

RME posted:

i'm gonna be honest, if you have hidden or no logs im just assuming youre bad anyways. theres no need to bring normal content parses into it.
similarly if you have hidden logs and a weapon or title i figure you bought your clear

don't have this opinion on the CGB discord, you might get accused of being weird

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'll say it again, they're not going to add dps parsers or meters into the game UI

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RME posted:

If they have hidden logs and weapon/titles I'm more inclined to assume they're with a static that either uses a bannable third party tool

If they have hidden logs and no EX/savage title/weapons I'd be more inclined to assume they're just a normal person who doesn't want people poking around in their stuff

having no logs is no evidence of anything besides nobody parsing them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Literally nobody has said this.

Edit: Well in this thread today at least.

Literally multiple people talking about finding The Bad in the last few pages. This poo poo always descends into horror stories about Ice Mages and Honest Healers.

Edit: Like literally just above me is "if you hide your parses you are obviously bad" stuff.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Finding the bad so you know why you keep hitting enrage, or know how to rearrange the group is not shaming the bad.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

ImpAtom posted:

Literally multiple people talking about finding The Bad in the last few pages. This poo poo always descends into horror stories about Ice Mages and Honest Healers.

literally stop making poo poo up

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Frida Call Me posted:

don't have this opinion on the CGB discord, you might get accused of being weird

is this a threat

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

literally stop making poo poo up

RME posted:

It is *on this actual page*

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think it's kinda cool that there's two vastly different games being played in this thread lol

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Someone please start posting plates before I wake up to 200+ posts about parsers

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

RME posted:

is this a threat

nah it's the majority opinion over there that looking at other people's parses for any reason under any circumstances makes you weird.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I can't really blame the thread on this one. It was yoshida who queued up the entire community's bad posting this time, for some reason

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Someone please start posting plates before I wake up to 200+ posts about parsers

Hell bring up Asmongold. That gets the thread told to calm down whenever he comes up after a few posts but we can go at each other's throats for pages on parses

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
one time we had a sub healer who told our static's healer to not use any heals because they were going for the fflogs 100 in hps

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It is *on this actual page*

True your post did remind me of this but I think it’s a pretty fair assessment

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I’m giving YoshiP a 12 hour probation.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

everyone who uses a parser is wrong unless they use it for the exact same reason I do: to make fun of your savage raiding friends on voice when you outdamage them in a random Mhach alliance roulette at 2am.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

There's nothing wrong with trying to filter out bad players if you're doing content with meaningful DPS checks. Blame the designers for creating content which requires the group to output a minimum amount of damage to complete.

If I'm recruiting for a savage or ultimate static (which I have, many times in the past 10 years of raiding) I want proof that a player actually knows their rotation and has the bare minimum of gear. If they have nothing but single digit parses, I'm not recruiting them. That's my right as a static leader. Am I going to harass them or be a shithead over it? Of course not; I'll say "sorry, we're looking for other candidates", be on my way, and forget about them in five minutes.

Do I upload logs from other content, including other players, to improve my own performance? Yes. Do I remember, out of those thousands of logs, the names of even one player? Of course not. Why on earth would I care how much DPS someone does in EXDR when you don't even need a healer to complete it? Or an alliance raid, where you can come back from a full alliance wipe with a triple healer LB3 and still win? Who cares?

This narrative that it's impossible to parse without being toxic, that DPS logging inevitably leads to shaming bad players (lol), and that there are roving gangs of parse demons prowling FFlogs to find YOUR lovely logs specifically, is completely loving delusional. Nobody cares about you, just like real life. Everyone is far too consumed with themselves to worry about what you're doing. Nobody is going to hunt you down for dying in Smileton, I promise.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I will. If you die in Smileton watch your back.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
what are you gonna do. kill them again. they're already dead. they died in smileton

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i got shooters waiting at the exit of every dungeon and at the tome vendor so if you zone out of stigmascape and you got hit by a mechanic youre dead meat

^(incredibly real threat and not a joke, im a toxic parser bro!!!!!)

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I'm a funhaver and not a tryhard. If i have more fun pressing Shifu over and over that doesn't make you better than me just because your parse says it's not as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Huh, I have my lovely DPS from my first Aglaia in FFLogs.

I'm mildly interested from a "I wonder what this can tell me?" stance because I like self-improvement and mastering gameplay and poo poo.

But if someone comes at me for a gray parse I'm going to tell them to step on LEGOs and then ignore them. Not sure why this requires debate. If someone at the party is a shitheel, you kick them out. If no one wants to kick them out or goes "actually being a shitheel is good" you go to a different party.