Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The dude who played Black Frankie from the Deuce was washing his Impala in episode two. At the end of the Deuce he says he's moving back to Baltimore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Lmao i hadn't even noticed the robbers in episode 1 were the cops.

It's like watching the wire for the first time all over again

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The actor who is playing the cooperator within the gun task force is doing such a great job. He's my favorite so far.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
So i gather that instead of its own thread, we're discussing We Own This City in here?

I'm loving it so far, myself. I didn't notice the b&e ppl from ep one were cops, either

Edit: so weird seeing Marlo's actor playing someone on the other side of the law

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 4, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm too lazy to make a thread for WOTC and it's basically a thematic coda to The Wire so I'm pretty cool with discussion just hanging here, but if anyone makes a new thread to keep this one mostly Wire-only I'm happy to hop over.

Scorched Spitz posted:

Specifically, Marlo's goon that gets shot in the leg trying to take out Omar.

Didn't he also kill Bodie? I haven't watched Season 4 in a while

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

Didn't he also kill Bodie? I haven't watched Season 4 in a while

Yes. He has a few scenes. Suggested a west coast drive by to Snoop as well.

And I'm garbage at recognizing the minor characters but I think he's the "But that's what you said to me" guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S4zV9rFBWY

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Also, so I'm a pretty averagely straight dude, but man, David Corenswet is an absurdly attractive guy.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s supposed to be an “oh poo poo” moment in Episode 1 when you see the robbers talking to each other during the day and then they all start putting on POLICE vests, I think

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Eason the Fifth posted:

I'm too lazy to make a thread for WOTC and it's basically a thematic coda to The Wire so I'm pretty cool with discussion just hanging here, but if anyone makes a new thread to keep this one mostly Wire-only I'm happy to hop over.

Just change the thread title to We Own This Wire, We Own This City Owns the Wire or something more clever that I can't think of. We Own This City and Also Watch the Wire. I dunno.

Only seen the first episode but this show kick rear end and is very much my poo poo.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Read Homicide when I saw a new Simon TV show was coming out and goddamn if it may not become one of my favourite books. It's incredible.

If you ever enjoyed one of his shows give it a go.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Seconded. Homicide is basically a non-fiction written version of The Wire. If you like it that much, I highly recommend reading Ghettoside

Also if you haven’t read Clockers by Richard Price, who also wrote for the wire, get on that. He has a special ear for dialogue and those conversations that occur on the corners feel very much like his work.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 6, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Seconded. Homicide is basically a non-fiction written version of The Wire. If you like it that much, I highly recommend reading Ghettoside

Also if you haven’t read Clockers by Richard Price, who also wrote for the wire, get on that. He has a special ear for dialogue and those conversations that occur on the corners feel very much like his work.

Both books are great.

So...

Two episodes in and, man, I wish it was an all at once Netflix style season dump. I think I'm gonna wait til I can binge it.

Couple random takes:

- agreed that the time skips can be a little confusing but I like how the show uses times stamps on cameras and CPU surveillance to lock some of that in. For the most part, it was easy to tell when a scene was taking place

- The acting is really good and Wunmi Mosaku and Bernthal are real standouts.

- Thing is though, a few times I thought some of the writing was kind of weak. The exposition dialogue and some of the political framing felt stiff and clunky to me. Like, not Neil Breen levels of stupid but some of it was kind of "well, since I am a banker who robs people" and poo poo like that. "Well ever since Freddie Gray the liberal blah blah blah does this and that and there was a big article about it." I should have notated more specific examples but the first one that jumped out at me was the new guy talking about how Trump can't win. And there were more where the dialogue didn't feel natural and was there to make a point.

- I love seeing these actors that Simon uses switch roles and display their range. If you watch the Corner and The Wire, you can really see it. All the cops are junkies and all the junkies are cops and all kinds of role reversals. And now I got Marlo, Bodie and Slim Charles changing up their act, among others that I can't immediately place but still know on sight.

- I knew those robbers were cops the second the one dude said "watch my six". It stood out to me as language that only people of a certain profession use. Getting some real Training Day/Denzel vibes from G-Money.

- Jenkins/Bernthal changing up the way he talks depending on if the person he's talking to is black or white was a good touch. He's totally going Eminem vernacular and tone when he's talking to the Homicide detective but speaks differently to everyone else. You can see the look on Sean's face when he's not really having it from Jenkins and I really dig Jamie Hector bringing his quiet, understated style and the way he acts with his face and body language to this rookie homicide detective role. Same style as Marlo but still different and just as effective. I'd like to see him in more poo poo like in a Coen, Scorcese, Lee or Tarantino movie. Dude is smooth as gently caress and has a lot of charisma. Hopefull his role expands in this show.

- I can already tell this poo poo is gonna demand a rewatch and I love it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

- I knew those robbers were cops the second the one dude said "watch my six". It stood out to me as language that only people of a certain profession use. Getting some real Training Day/Denzel vibes from G-Money.

Holy poo poo. I didn't realize who they were either. And I feel bad for not seeing it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

- Thing is though, a few times I thought some of the writing was kind of weak. The exposition dialogue and some of the political framing felt stiff and clunky to me. Like, not Neil Breen levels of stupid but some of it was kind of "well, since I am a banker who robs people" and poo poo like that. "Well ever since Freddie Gray the liberal blah blah blah does this and that and there was a big article about it." I should have notated more specific examples but the first one that jumped out at me was the new guy talking about how Trump can't win. And there were more where the dialogue didn't feel natural and was there to make a point.

Yeah I agree with you here. There's been little emphasis so far on character development; that time is instead mostly put towards explaining the political and cultural context. Which is mostly fine because I like dry stuff, but "Trump is never going to get the nomination" sticks out like a sore thumb.

BiggerBoat posted:

I was like wtf how much CoD are these guys playing.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s supposed to be an “oh poo poo” moment in Episode 1 when you see the robbers talking to each other during the day and then they all start putting on POLICE vests, I think

Yeah I really liked the way they put those scenes together. When you see three black men in a car planning a robbery you tend to assume they are not police, but nope they are police. Reminds me of going to the the play about a fictional discussion between Malcom X and MLK when I was a kid and the open of the play is a black man with a gun, Malcolm X's bodyguard, rushing into the room and seeing the audience reaction.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

That Trump line did stand out to me, but then I had to remember that me and literally everyone I know said that exact phrase about 1000 times that year. I also think it's one of the first (if not the first) instance of me seeing Trumps name appear in a tv show/book/movie and that'll probably feel jarring for years to come.

Count Roland posted:

Yeah I agree with you here. There's been little emphasis so far on character development; that time is instead mostly put towards explaining the political and cultural context.

I mean, some of David Simon's shows are very character based (Treme, for instance), but this new show and The Wire are very much focused on describing a bureaucracy and a system of interlocking political interests. To the extent that the wire had character development, it came in little drips that they made the most out of so that a character like Bodie started fairly thin, and over time accumulated a very strong portrait. But it wasn't until like, Season 2 that he started to develop into a full blown character, and not until Season 4 that you really started to sympathize with him.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 7, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

That Trump line did stand out to me, but then I had to remember that me and literally everyone I know said that exact phrase about 1000 times that year. I also think it's one of the first (if not the first) instance of me seeing Trumps name appear in a tv show/book/movie and that'll probably feel jarring for years to come.

I mean, some of David Simon's shows are very character based (Treme, for instance), but this new show and The Wire are very much focused on describing a bureaucracy and a system of interlocking political interests. To the extent that the wire had character development, it came in little drips that they made the most out of so that a character like Bodie started fairly thin, and over time accumulated a very strong portrait. But it wasn't until like, Season 2 that he started to develop into a full blown character, and not until Season 4 that you really started to sympathize with him.

I found Bodie to be very sympathetic in S1, which made the death of Wallace all the more impactful. There's the famous scene of him learning about chess from D, various scenes with him and Herc and Carv, and all the general hanging out. I found he developed much less in later seasons.

And I agree the Wire doled out its characterization very slowly. I hope we see that more with this show.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Count Roland posted:

I found Bodie to be very sympathetic in S1, which made the death of Wallace all the more impactful. There's the famous scene of him learning about chess from D, various scenes with him and Herc and Carv, and all the general hanging out. I found he developed much less in later seasons.

And I agree the Wire doled out its characterization very slowly. I hope we see that more with this show.

Yeah ok that's fair, maybe I should've picked another character like Slim Charles or something.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I want Simon to shoot the moon and give me at least one scene of beat cop Snoop

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah ok that's fair, maybe I should've picked another character like Slim Charles or something.

A lot of this also comes down to the sheer amount of characters and running plot lines in this show. It's a pretty big cast and there's not a particularly fast way to establish all these people even if you wanted to. Also, unlike a lot of other shows, The Wire doesn't hold your hand or usually lay down a lot of heavy broad strokes in telling its story and gives its audience a lot of credit in this regard.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I want Simon to shoot the moon and give me at least one scene of beat cop Snoop

Public Defender Judge Snoop

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 7, 2022

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

BiggerBoat posted:

"I do believe you is leading this motherfucker *BANG* case dismissed y'all"

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

there's no hard line for me to judge this but as far as the wire having clunky political dialogue coming straight from the writers, i think i judge it based on whether it still feels like something that character would actually say. people in real life are have very clunky dialogue, so i just sort of file it as that unless it comes out of nowhere. in the spaces people are interacting within the wire, you'd hear political and social observations every day.

i really only think it's bad when characters suddenly care about an issue in one episode/scene and then drop it once the writer is satisfied the point has been addressed. there are probably plenty of examples of this happening in the wire but it doesn't bother me because it is a hyper-political show filled with hyper-political characters who would actually do this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

"I do believe you is leading this motherfucker *BANG* case dismissed y'all"

Y'all motherfuckin lawyers be talking too much poo poo up in here fo' real, man. I'm about gettin tired o' this poo poo. Everybody be runnin they mouth so much I'm gonna hold some a y'all muthafuckers in contempt you don't shut the gently caress up, you feel?

roomtone posted:

there's no hard line for me to judge this but as far as the wire having clunky political dialogue coming straight from the writers, i think i judge it based on whether it still feels like something that character would actually say. people in real life are have very clunky dialogue, so i just sort of file it as that unless it comes out of nowhere. in the spaces people are interacting within the wire, you'd hear political and social observations every day.

i really only think it's bad when characters suddenly care about an issue in one episode/scene and then drop it once the writer is satisfied the point has been addressed. there are probably plenty of examples of this happening in the wire but it doesn't bother me because it is a hyper-political show filled with hyper-political characters who would actually do this.

This is fair and I agree with you but that's exactly where and why some of it kind of stood out for me.

Meaning, a few times, it didn't feel and sound like something someone would actually say and somehow it bugged me. Some of it didn't flow naturally or entirely land, even though I get what you're saying how in real life, people are often clumsy with how they talk. But, like, even though Gus was obviously a surrogate stand in for Simon and a lot of people disliked his character, as he was written, he never seemed to deliver unnatural dialog - or at least not in a way that rang my bell anyway.

When I get around to my inevitable re-watch, I'll try to snag and drag some more specific examples that I felt were kind of forced because there were several of them and they were one of the few nitpicks I had with the show.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 7, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For those who didn't see it, Mu Zeta made a thread for We Own This City.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Yerp Honor, my client is innocent.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
"Your honor in fairness to my client..."
"Fair ain't got nothing to do with it."

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Overrüled.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Keep it you earnt that parole like a motherfucker

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

Keep it you earnt that parole like a motherfucker

Goddamn :lol:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If you liked Homicide, definitely read The Corner. I feel it like it is so much better written, and more identifiable. I tell people I know that it should be on a bucket list or a must read for schools.

Also, Tater still being talked about 20 years later.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Someone in the We Own This City thread pointed out that the rapper with the lyrics about Hersl was not only a real song but the rapper played himself in that episode.

Seeing that made me wonder something. (Who Young Leek be, I guess.)

I have no idea why I was surprised that he's real as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z217QJAJgP0

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yo, who Young Leek be?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCyskkLGk6M

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A lot of folks from The Wire showing up in episode three.

Duquan! Marla Daniels and of course, Herc.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1523984841506795527

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Way too young, she was a real inspiration for the way she overcame the horrible poo poo she went through.

Philthy posted:

If you liked Homicide, definitely read The Corner. I feel it like it is so much better written, and more identifiable. I tell people I know that it should be on a bucket list or a must read for schools.

Also, Tater still being talked about 20 years later.

Yeah, I really enjoyed Homicide and the way it ran through the significant cases, but The Corner was just magnificent and I can't recommend it enough.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
June 2nd, 2022 is the 20 year anniversary of a little thing called The Target airing on HBO.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Some cop called McNulty bitched to a judge about some case that wasn't even his. Weird. Oh well, I'm sure nothing will come of it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
These... these are for you McNulty... these are for you for as long as it takes for me to get even.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The original TV IV Wire thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=966400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Got to. This America, man.